Reserve Teams - How high can they go ?

lbennett777

Junior Team Hopeful
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and this is my first post so please be kind (Apologies if I have posted in the wrong place, may take a while to get my head round)

I have a quite large knowledge of local non league football around the Midlands in particular Worcestershire.

One thing that I don't know, is there a limit to how high in the football pyramid Reserve or Development teams can play? Is this generic throughout or varied through the FA's and individual leagues?

If someone can clear this up for me - It would be greatly appreciated!

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Step 6 is the highest these days. Across the board.

NLS Regulation 7.2 in full:
"Reserve teams, including a team from a club or Club which is not considered by the Committee to be sufficiently separate from another club or Club, will not be permitted to compete above Step 6 in the NLS. There must be a minimum of two Steps between a first and reserve team. This does not apply at Steps 6 & 7. No two teams from the same Club can play at the same Step. Reserve teams currently at Step 5 can remain unless relegated, once relegated they will not be permitted to be promoted back to Step 5."

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Haven't checked their past league tables but do Team Bury fulfil this criteria?

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
They packed up a couple of years ago. I can't remember what the rules were when they were playing.

Last edited:

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
They packed up a couple of years ago. I can't remember what the rules were when they were formed.
I must confess to not realising that they had gone, I suppose it just goes to show how quickly the seasons seem to pass by now. I do remember that they used to be a constant presence in the Eastern Counties League when it was in its old two division format, and although they were probably in the bottom division for most of the time, I wouldn't be surprised if they had spent at least one season in the top division. I am certain that they competed in the FA Vase and perhaps the FA Cup as well.

(Edit; what about Brackley Town's reserve team? I know they pulled out of their league recently, perhaps because of the coronavirus, but they were very successful in recent years.)

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Oh dear... 😂

To supplement my reply to the opening poster, please be aware there have also been various alternative conspiracy theories put around, usually by certain groundhopper or pyramidista types who don't understand what reserve or development teams are. ;)

Last edited:

Brightside

Junior Team Star
I think in 2019 the following teams were in Step 6

AFC SudburyEastern Senior North
Brightlingsea RegentEastern Senior South
Didcot TownHellenic 1 East
Felixstowe & Walton UnitedEastern Senior North
KidlingtonHellenic 1 West
Dorking WanderersCombined Counties 1
King's Lynn TownEastern Senior North
LeistonEastern Senior North
Needham MarketEastern Senior North

Brightlingsea Regent Reserves are no more.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
There's also Cirencester Town Development.

Recent reports on here suggest Didcot Town Development have now gone.

Last edited:

Bigaitch

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
Team Bury were treated as a separate entity from Bury Town even though they had identical badges except for the name, same kit , ground etc. As a separate entity they were able to compete in the Vase.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
I must confess to not realising that they had gone, I suppose it just goes to show how quickly the seasons seem to pass by now. I do remember that they used to be a constant presence in the Eastern Counties League when it was in its old two division format, and although they were probably in the bottom division for most of the time, I wouldn't be surprised if they had spent at least one season in the top division. I am certain that they competed in the FA Vase and perhaps the FA Cup as well.

(Edit; what about Brackley Town's reserve team? I know they pulled out of their league recently, perhaps because of the coronavirus, but they were very successful in recent years.)
Brackley Town Saints had morphed from basically an Under 23 side into a run of the mill Hellenic side who's players would never have been good enough for Brackley's first side.

Last seasons management team were from the "North Berks" area, it looks though many of the Saints team are signing for clubs in North Berks area for the coming season whenever that is.

Ladderman

Youth Team Starter
Team Bury were treated as a separate entity from Bury Town even though they had identical badges except for the name, same kit , ground etc. As a separate entity they were able to compete in the Vase.
TB played nine years in Eastern Counties division 1, but never got any higher. There was an earlier version, Bury Academy, who stsrted the 00/01 Essex Senior league season but only lasted a few games, suffering hammerings in all of them

Bigaitch

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
TB played nine years in Eastern Counties division 1, but never got any higher. There was an earlier version, Bury Academy, who stsrted the 00/01 Essex Senior league season but only lasted a few games, suffering hammerings in all of them
I had completely forgot about them....that was a weird one, with them playing in the ESL...

Unicorn

Youth Team Starter
Step 6 is the highest these days. Across the board.

NLS Regulation 7.2 in full:
"Reserve teams, including a team from a club or Club which is not considered by the Committee to be sufficiently separate from another club or Club, will not be permitted to compete above Step 6 in the NLS. There must be a minimum of two Steps between a first and reserve team. This does not apply at Steps 6 & 7. No two teams from the same Club can play at the same Step. Reserve teams currently at Step 5 can remain unless relegated, once relegated they will not be permitted to be promoted back to Step 5."
I always pick up on this one but as there are no Reserve teams still playing at Step 5 the last sentence of Regulation 7.2 should be removed.

Bigaitch

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
I think in 2019 the following teams were in Step 6

AFC SudburyEastern Senior North
Brightlingsea RegentEastern Senior South
Didcot TownHellenic 1 East
Felixstowe & Walton UnitedEastern Senior North
KidlingtonHellenic 1 West
Dorking WanderersCombined Counties 1
King's Lynn TownEastern Senior North
LeistonEastern Senior North
Needham MarketEastern Senior North
Brightlingsea Regent Reserves are no more.
Felixstowe & Walton’s reserve side have left Thurrock Nunn and will be competing in Essex & Suffolk Border League next season. Not sure which division.

Brightside

Junior Team Star
Felixstowe & Walton’s reserve side have left Thurrock Nunn and will be competing in Essex & Suffolk Border League next season. Not sure which division.
That's a bit strange that they haven't dropped into the Suffolk and Ipswich League.

The Essex & Suffolk Border League often doesn't have any teams in Suffolk, let alone as far away as Felixstowe.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
That's a bit strange that they haven't dropped into the Suffolk and Ipswich League.

The Essex & Suffolk Border League often doesn't have any teams in Suffolk, let alone as far away as Felixstowe.
From memory SIL hasn't had reserve sides in their top division, well certainly not in the past 3 or 4 decades. Whereas ESBL has often hosted them.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Brantham Athletic Reserves in the Premier; Bures United and Sudbury Sports in Division 1; Brantham Athletic A and Cavendish in Division 2.

Claret&BluePixels

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
South Shields FC
There's also Cirencester Town Development.

Recent reports on here suggest Didcot Town Development have now gone.
Pretty sure Brackley Town Saints count in that regard too, though they've disbanded this summer

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks