Replays in FA Trophy and Vase

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
From the FA Competitions threads, it says there are no replays from the next round onwards. I had not noted that before - is it a new rule for this season

John Treleven

It is a new rule, certainly for the Trophy, first noticed when mentioned at yesterday's draws

Trawling through the rules there is a new Rule 27 for the Trophy indicating this

There were three Trophy replays at this stage last season and one in the round after
but none were needed in the Vase last season (where extra time in the first match is mandatory)

If introducing this rule I would have thought a round earlier, when the draw becomes national, would have been a better idea for the Trophy to save on the five replays, some long distance, due tonight

However the Vase (Rule 11 b i) still refers to replays in rounds 3, 4, 5 & 6 so perhaps that was an error made by the announcer at yesterday's draw, so I have removed that note from the Vase draw

John Treleven

RULES OF THE F.A. CHALLENGE VASE

11. EXTRA TIME AND KICKS FROM THE PENALTY MARK, REPLAYS, POSTPONED AND ABANDONED MATCHES (MATCHES PLAYED PRIOR TO THE SEMI-FINALS)

(b) Replays

(i) When a first match has resulted in a draw, it shall be replayed on the ground of the Club drawn second:

in the Qualifying Competition, First and Second Rounds Proper – on or before the following Thursday.
(in exceptional circumstance on the following Saturday).

in the Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Rounds Proper – on or before the following Saturday.

Sungater

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
None
However the rules also state
"The National Game Board shall have the power to vary these arrangements if it is deemed necessary."
So, sneaky change or cock up?

Kidology

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Barnet (when in Barnet), Truro City
This situation could present a rather interesting situation at somewhere like Plymouth Parkway in the next round? What happens if the game against West Auckland is level after extra time? Plymouth might be prepared to take their chances and save themselves a 750 mile round trip for a replay, but West Auckland might refer to Rule 11 of the Vase rules as posted by John above and refuse to take part in any penalty shoot out that the referee tries to instruct and risk an appeal if the FA tried to expel them from the competition. Seems to me this is something that the FA need to clarify in writing, and seek the clubs' agreement to, sooner rather than later.

BDA_85

Youth Team Sub
This situation could present a rather interesting situation at somewhere like Plymouth Parkway in the next round? What happens if the game against West Auckland is level after extra time? Plymouth might be prepared to take their chances and save themselves a 750 mile round trip for a replay, but West Auckland might refer to Rule 11 of the Vase rules as posted by John above and refuse to take part in any penalty shoot out that the referee tries to instruct and risk an appeal if the FA tried to expel them from the competition. Seems to me this is something that the FA need to clarify in writing, and seek the clubs' agreement to, sooner rather than later.
Sungater has answered that concern above.

Kidology

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Barnet (when in Barnet), Truro City
Sungater has answered that concern above.
So Rule 11 (f) supercedes all other rules is that right? So if, hypothetically, West Auckland wanted to invoke Rule 30 (b) and allege that Rule 11 (b) (i) had been breached, the FA could respond and say that they had acted under Rule 11 (f)? Kind of makes a mockery of having rules in the first place doesn't it? Especially when they are so clear and specifically refer to replays in Round 4.

BDA_85

Youth Team Sub
A
So Rule 11 (f) supercedes all other rules is that right? So if, hypothetically, West Auckland wanted to invoke Rule 30 (b) and allege that Rule 11 (b) (i) had been breached, the FA could respond and say that they had acted under Rule 11 (f)? Kind of makes a mockery of having rules in the first place doesn't it? Especially when they are so clear and specifically refer to replays in Round 4.
Agree with what your saying but as soon as any documentation states "The XXX shall have the power to vary these arrangements if it is deemed necessary." then all other wording is superseded.

Karen Browne

Junior Team Sub
Regarding the confusion regarding replays in the FA Vase rules and the FA website

Just spoken with Scott Bolton at the FA
The website is wrong regarding the FA Vase and no replays.
Replays remain as per competition rules
Hopefully he will be updating the FA website to such effect

Regards
Karen
SSML Fixtures Officer

BDA_85

Youth Team Sub
Given the circumstances attached is I feel a measured statement from Farsley

https://www.farsleyceltic.com/news/club-statement-barnet-vs-farsley-celtic-2505244.html

And a lot more important than whether or not rule 11f, sub section b paragraph x has been complied with.

Not that it will bother the box-tickers at the FA
That's not a statement regarding replays. Which is what the OP was talking about.
Matches being postponed after fans/players/officials have travelled is a different can of worms!

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks