Recommendations for ‘lesser-known’ or lower-level scenic football grounds in England, Wales and Scotland

London Harrier

Junior Team Starter
In the interest of keeping things positive, I’m starting to put together my bucket list for when football returns.

I’d be really keen to hear recommendations for ‘lesser-known’ or lower-level scenic football grounds in England, Wales and Scotland. This could include Saturday morning leagues, Sunday morning leagues, or summertime leagues.

Below are a few I’ve already earmarked:

Coniston AFC (Furness League)
Sedbergh and Dent (Dent - Westmorland League)
Shap (Westmorland League)
Scourie (North Caledonian League)
Llandegfan (North Wales Coast West Football League)
Shiskine (Isle of Arran League)
Keiss (Caithness Amateur League)
Gairloch/Aultbea United (Skye and Lochalsh Amateur Football League)
Hopeman (Moray Welfare League)
Blackthorn Rovers (Greenock and District Welfare League)

John Treleven

First Team Sub
Talking of the Channel Islands, Alderney Nomads is another to add to the list. Looks a magnificent venue.

Wrap up warm, always very windy when I have been there

Manchester Warrior

Youth Team Sub
May I nominate Glebe Park (Brechin City FC - SPFL League Two) with its famous hedge or is that too high a level for the purposes of this thread?

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
Arundel (overlooked by the magnificent castle)...
Wisbech St Mary (On a nice day - Surrounded by fenland farmland complete with a tractor doing its work when I went...ordinary ground but lovely surrounds
White Notley (In the middle of nowhere and again surrounded by farmland)

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Starter
A number of the grounds in the Huddersfield & District League are in scenic hilly locations but my favourite is Hade Edge - not as hilly as some, but with dry stone walls, views over the nearby reservoir and a distinctive changing room block (many H&D clubs do not have on-site changing rooms).

Cherryhopper

First Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Plenty of lovely scenic grounds in Devon.

In the North Devon League, South Molton well worth visiting for its old wooden stand. Great sea views at the ground in Northam used by both Park United and Sandymere Blues and also the ground in Higher Clovelly used by Hartland Clovelly 3rd which also has a covered standing area (below). Lundy Island Is visible from the car park.
IMG_20200905_142558.jpg

In the South Devon League can recommend Buckfastleigh Rangers with its large steep terrace next to the clubhouse behind the goal. Dittisham United for its views over the River Dart. Ilsington Villa is a lovely setting although the hedge obscures the breathtaking view from over the tennis court.

Devon & Exeter League grounds well worth visiting include Bickleigh, Bradninch, Feniton, Lyme Regis, Seaton Town and Winkleigh (although only driven past the latter).

Sure there are lots more hidden gems I've yet to discover in the county and just over the border in Somerset in the depths of Taunton & District League Division 3 can highly recommend Exmoor Rangers almost 1,000 feet above sea level. The third image is the spectacular view from behind one corner of the ground.
IMG_20200926_142544.jpgIMG_20200926_154627.jpgIMG_20200926_154838.jpg

Ostrich

Junior Team Sub
Portland United - a pretty unique venue next to an old stone quarry with some stunning views of the English Channel from the clubhouse balcony. Stop off at the nearby Portland Heights Hotel's café if you've got time to spare.

Bishop's Cleeve - for the majestic sweep of hills to the east of the ground, and the steam trains passing on the nearby heritage railway.

(And if I can be permitted my favourite scenic rugby ground - Luctonians at Mortimers Cross near Leominster. Fantastic views from their stand across and down the River Lugg valley towards Radnor Forest. I'm sure there will be local football grounds in that Border area others may know with a similar outlook.)

London Harrier

Junior Team Starter
A number of the grounds in the Huddersfield & District League are in scenic hilly locations but my favourite is Hade Edge - not as hilly as some, but with dry stone walls, views over the nearby reservoir and a distinctive changing room block (many H&D clubs do not have on-site changing rooms).
I've been to Hade Edge and many other fabulous grounds in the H&DL, including Holmbridge, Cartworth Moor and Marsden.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
To many to list but many lovely ones in and around the Cotswolds and Forest of Dean.

noprogs

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
nonaligned
Millhead of the North Lancashire League, cut out of a quarry

prorege

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Indeed. The pitch is just down the road from the Bruichladdich Distilllery in Port Charlotte.

1610620010658.png

bakis

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Kidderminster Harriers
Harting (West Sussex League), under one of the best bits of the South Downs

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks