R.I.P. Macclesfield Town FC (1874-2020)

Claret&BluePixels

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
South Shields FC
Just been announced that Macclesfield have been wound up in the high court with debts of around half a million pounds

A sad sad say for Football, the first ever FA Trophy winners and the first ever champions of the NPL are now apparently no more

Kirby Knitters

First Team Starter
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Judge has said if Alkadhi pays monies owed then the winding up order can be rescinded.

philglossop

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Saltash United
Cant see it happening I'm terms of payment. Sadly it was all too obvious once the football league relegated then out.

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Northstandexile

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
I always thought when a club went bankrupt or wound up then the new company starts a new club.

Mansfield town changed their name in 1910 from Mansfield Wesleyans which formed in 1897.

A club called Mansfield Town was in existence in the mid 1890’s but nobody associated with Stags claims that club is the same as the present day one.

the club since 1897 has changed names but company has not folded since incorporated, however different owners have owned the club.

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Certainly new company, new club ?

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Perhaps a Phoenix club could join the Crewe League and help boost its numbers:D.

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Perhaps a Phoenix club could join the Crewe League and help boost its numbers:D.
Crewe Phoenix, got a ring to it.
On topic, NO sympathy with Macc.

John Treleven

Reserve Team Star
Macclesfield Town FC wound up in High Court over debts exceeding £500,000
By Jay FreemanBBC Sport
Last updated on1 hour ago1 hour ago.From the sectionMacclesfield

Moss Rose, home of Macclesfield Town
Macclesfield Town have spent 17 of the past 23 seasons in the English Football League
Macclesfield Town Football Club has been wound up in the High Court over debts totalling more than £500,000.
Judge Sebastian Prentis made a winding-up order during a hearing in the Insolvency and Companies Court after being told £190,000 was owed in tax.
In addition, a solicitor for John Askey said the National League club's ex-manager was owed £173,000, while a financial lender was owed the same sum.
The club's owner Amar Alkadhi had asked for a further eight-week adjournment.
The decision to wind up the club comes just over a month after Macclesfield were relegated from the English Football League at the end of a tumultuous 2019-20 season on and off the pitch.
Players went on strike in November after failing to be paid, which resulted in the club fielding youth players in their FA Cup defeat by Kingstonian, while the Silkmen were deducted points on three separate occasions for issues relating to payment of salaries and failure to fulfil League Two fixtures against Plymouth and Crewe.
Alkadhi stepped down as chairman in August, just before the EFL won an appeal against what they saw as a lenient points deduction.
The stronger punishment imposed by an independent panel resulted in their relegation to the National League and a reprieve for Stevenage, who had finished bottom of the fourth-tier table when the season was curtailed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
'Ample opportunity' to pay creditors, says judge
The winding-up petition, which had been adjourned for a 12th time last week, began in January 2019 and was scheduled to be heard again on Wednesday after Alkadhi claimed that a sale to Robert Benwell was at an advanced stage.
Benwell, who previously tried to buy Bury, was not mentioned in court on Wednesday by Alkadhi's lawyer, who asked for a further eight weeks to allow a sale to go through.
The judge later said that a business plan from Benwell had not been put forward to the court, however.
The court was told that Alkadhi understood the amount due to creditors was actually just £4,000, had made a late offer to pay an initial £20,000 of the debt owed to HM Revenue & Customs and had made available a screenshot of a bank statement with £1.1m of funds to show that creditors could be paid.
However, Judge Prentis said he would grant a compulsory order, saying "nothing gives me comfort that the club can pay its debts in a reasonable period" and that there had been "ample opportunity" for Alkadhi to pay off creditors.
He went on to say that he had not been told by Alkadhi where the £1.1m had come from or why outstanding debts had not already been paid.
146 years of history
Macclesfield celebrate promotion in 2018
Macclesfield won the National League title in 2018, but their most recent stay in the EFL lasted only two seasons
Having initially been founded as 'Macclesfield' in 1874, the club were reformed in their current guise - Macclesfield Town FC - in 1946 following the end of World War Two.
A club with a rich history in non-league football, twice winning the FA Trophy, they were promoted to the Football League for the first time in 1997.
They spent 15 years in the EFL, even briefly playing in the third tier, before being relegated back into the Conference in 2012.
The Silkmen earned promotion back into League Two in 2018, but their most recent stay in the EFL was to prove short lived after a host of financial problems which eventually culminated in their relegation in August.

windydcfc

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
Does this mean that Ebbsfleet get a reprieve.
The National League resolution does state that 24 teams will be in the top tier, interesting to see what happens now, Ebbsfleet United are first in line for a reprieve under PPG, if that happens the NLS would have 20 clubs & the NLN 22

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Options for the National League are
Reprieve for Ebbsfleet
Promotion for York City since they finished 2nd in NLN
Promotion for Boston United, beaten finalist in the NLN play off

caulfield_paul

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
West Ham
Bradford PA
Looking at the National League clubs (top division), I'd guess around 15 are simply too small to compete in the Football League. This goes for Macclesfield too, whose over ambition has led to bankruptcy. Unless you can compete in terms of crowds and finances, promotion from the National League is a real poisoned chalice.

007Dale

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Looking at the National League clubs (top division), I'd guess around 15 are simply too small to compete in the Football League. This goes for Macclesfield too, whose over ambition has led to bankruptcy. Unless you can compete in terms of crowds and finances, promotion from the National League is a real poisoned chalice.
I think there is a bit more to it than that. Some clubs don’t need as many fans as they get other income (BW for example, although also appreciate they have financial help).
But a club with good facilities (for match day and non-match day income), strong support and sustainable finances should do well in the Long Term.
I shudder to think what would happen to the likes of Harrogate if their owner gave up.

Claret&BluePixels

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
South Shields FC
The National League resolution does state that 24 teams will be in the top tier, interesting to see what happens now, Ebbsfleet United are first in line for a reprieve under PPG, if that happens the NLS would have 20 clubs & the NLN 22
I doubt it.

The league have already released their fixtures and those fixtures are due to begin to be fulfilled in less than three weeks time.

My guess is the National will have no choice other than to operate at just 23 clubs with Macclesfield taking up one of the relegation spots, that vacancy should then filter down the pyramid.

That means there's TWO vacancies to fill, Step 2 was already running one club short after Bury's demise

Last edited:

TrevorT

Junior Team Sub
Just been announced that Macclesfield have been wound up in the high court with debts of around half a million pounds

A sad sad say for Football, the first ever FA Trophy winners and the first ever champions of the NPL are now apparently no more
It is a sad day...146 years of history, players and staff now without a job and a few thousand fans without a team to support. What I find equally as sad is within an hour of the announcement we get the first post worried about how it affects their spreadsheet:unsure:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I have closed the football league section discussion on this.
A sad occasion, but not a surprise, as the owners never looked like settling the debts.

Davetherave

Youth Team Sub
It is interesting that club legend Askey was one of the creditors who put the club out of business. What do people feel about this?

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Boston United
Options for the National League are
Reprieve for Ebbsfleet
Promotion for York City since they finished 2nd in NLN
Promotion for Boston United, beaten finalist in the NLN play off
We'll take it.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks