Pre Season Friendly games

Ladderman

Youth Team Starter
If friendlies at an enclosed ground are free entry, it does mean that there is a slightly increased risk of these being 3 x 30 minutes, which is against the rules of the game.
That's really worrying. I now know why I couldn't sleep last and was watching basketball at 5am today. Frankly, I'm amazed the sky hasn't fallen in.
What's a bit more concerning is that clubs are arranging games when they haven't been given permission to do so. And that despite the fact that game are likely to be closed doors when they are given the go ahead, clubs are advertising them. I haven't been a snowflake about Covid, but the reality is a lot of people have died from it and we've all made huge sacrifices to stem the tide, but it beggars belief that clubs are now going to stage meaningless games and risk making the situation worse.

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
Given competitive cricket doesn't need to be behind closed doors as long as social distancing is adhered to, why would football be any different? I'd be very surprised if step 5 and below couldn't easily allow relatively standard crowds and follow that. Especially for friendly matches.

All the rumours are horse racing will have 5000 crowds by end of month (goodwood certainly lobbying very hard for it) so can't see 50 people at Cadbury athletic being deemed no go?

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Hopeful
All the rumours are horse racing will have 5000 crowds by end of month (goodwood certainly lobbying very hard for it)
I think that is going to be very much a trial event, requesting entrance for course members to just one day of the festival.

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
I think that is going to be very much a trial event, requesting entrance for course members to just one day of the festival.
Absolutely. But it shows the direction of travel as this would have been unthinkable even 5 weeks ago. If that goes to plan I imagine other racecourses and other sports will be chomping at the bit (if you pardon the pun)

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Hopeful
Absolutely. But it shows the direction of travel as this would have been unthinkable even 5 weeks ago. If that goes to plan I imagine other racecourses and other sports will be chomping at the bit (if you pardon the pun)
Yes, it seems to have been the way racing in particular has played this. They ran some test events for owners at specific meetings and those were conducted safely and managed properly, with the result that a certain number of owners are now let in to all meetings.

RussWWFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
The silence from the FA is ridiculous, five days and not a word from them. They should at least come out and say 'we are working on plans to ensure the safe return of football, but there should be no friendlies organised before... (and name a date)

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
The silence from the FA is ridiculous, five days and not a word from them. They should at least come out and say 'we are working on plans to ensure the safe return of football, but there should be no friendlies organised before... (and name a date)
Why? It's pretty obvious they're working on plans to ensure the safe return of football. That needn't stop clubs organising provisional friendlies. In fact until the leagues announce season start dates the scheduling of friendlies will be probably remain quite volatile anyway.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
I know all sports are different and how each act on the government's current guidance will differ but here is what England Athletics say "The recent government announcements on updated guidance did not materially affect the current position on training and exercise for athletics clubs" which was borne out by last night's club session still being conducted in groups of 6 (one of which was a coach). So I'd say what you might expect to happen next may not be the case.

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
I know all sports are different and how each act on the government's current guidance will differ but here is what England Athletics say "The recent government announcements on updated guidance did not materially affect the current position on training and exercise for athletics clubs" which was borne out by last night's club session still being conducted in groups of 6 (one of which was a coach). So I'd say what you might expect to happen next may not be the case.
I think it depends on the lobbying done by the sport, the lengths the governing body is prepared to go to demonstrate adjustments have been made and public outcry.

Remember not just with cricket but also with zoos, the government have u-turned within 24 hours of making (rather ludicrous) suggestions as to why they can't resume (cricket being the easily surmounted catering situation)

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
I think it depends on the lobbying done by the sport, the lengths the governing body is prepared to go to demonstrate adjustments have been made and public outcry.

Remember not just with cricket but also with zoos, the government have u-turned within 24 hours of making (rather ludicrous) suggestions as to why they can't resume (cricket being the easily surmounted catering situation)
Personally I think that England Athletics are being pragmatic as certain sections of the sport, particularly the middle/long distance runners that I am part of are normally in very close contact with others whether it be in training groups or races, so it isn't yet practical to think of running in larger groups yet. However there is a return to competition update due on 22nd July.

BDA_85

Reserve Team Sub
Don't want to horrify anyone but we usually start planning PSF matches in Feb/March for July so pencilling in pre-season friendlies now for matches that might not be played until Sept/Oct isn't against the norm. Even if clubs aren't announcing dates/opponents then there are definitely plans already in place.

adamthurston

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town
For those of you who want to start planning some provisional games for August / early September with flexibility, I am adding them to Futbology (Groundhopper) app as I come across them on Twitter.

Do feel free to let me know any that you are aware of - https://mobile.twitter.com/athurston_1996 (I only have access to games in England & with teams that are already on the app but happy to help with as many games as I can!)

I think we’re all aware that any games announced are subject to change but I see nothing wrong with harmlessly planning August with a few pre-season friendlies which rarely get three figure crowds anyway!

Cheers

Attachments

Groundhopper 101

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Totton
For those of you who want to start planning some provisional games for August / early September with flexibility, I am adding them to Futbology (Groundhopper) app as I come across them on Twitter.

Do feel free to let me know any that you are aware of - https://mobile.twitter.com/athurston_1996 (I only have access to games in England & with teams that are already on the app but happy to help with as many games as I can!)

I think we’re all aware that any games announced are subject to change but I see nothing wrong with harmlessly planning August with a few pre-season friendlies which rarely get three figure crowds anyway!

Cheers
Good work mate. Hopefully we hear some news about if these games have any chance of being played. Looking positive though.

adamthurston

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town
Some hopeful news coming of Twitter this afternoon...

"So am told the DCSM have this morning approved the FA Return to play proposals - now we await whenever FA want to make announcement on grassroots / amateur and semi-pro. I don't know the detail, or the levels, am trying to find out" - Duncan Wright (The S*n (unfortunate it's that paper)

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
A loyal reader of The Sun thanks you for the above information!

HarryC

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fleet Town
Some hopeful news coming of Twitter this afternoon...

"So am told the DCSM have this morning approved the FA Return to play proposals - now we await whenever FA want to make announcement on grassroots / amateur and semi-pro. I don't know the detail, or the levels, am trying to find out" - Duncan Wright (The S*n (unfortunate it's that paper)
After this reported DCSM approval, next stage the proposals go to Public Health England for their approval/amendment/rejection

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
After this reported DCSM approval, next stage the proposals go to Public Health England for their approval/amendment/rejection
I think this is where the problems will arise with social distancing still in place and a limit of outside gatherings remaining at 30.

BDA_85

Reserve Team Sub
I think this is where the problems will arise with social distancing still in place and a limit of outside gatherings remaining at 30.
You couldn't get a game played BCD with those limitations. 22 players, ref, 2 assistants, 2 managers, 2 physios and even limiting each team to 3 subs each you'd be over the 30 limit.
Guidance has got to be flexed soon.

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
You can apply for a permit for gatherings of over 30, but it is unlawful otherwise.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks