Post Notifications

Ropemaker

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
I'm getting a message at the bottom of the page asking me if I want to turn on Post Notifications

Is this anything new/different? Thanks

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Push notifications are a new feature just enabled.

They display a little notice in the corner of the screen when someone messages you or posts in a thread you are watching or whatever your settings are. They do it even if you are not logged into the site but have a browser window open so can be quite useful if for instance you don't want to have to log in to see if someone has replied to a post.

They need your permission and can be turned on and off at any time in your profile

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
The bar at the bottom of my screen is refusing to close. I said no to notifications and it switched to a menu which seemed to offer the chance to say no to notifications permanently, but didn't respond when I clicked it.

Then, after a few seconds, a Google ad popped up in front of it, so now all I can see is the orange area either side of the text.

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
The bar at the bottom of my screen is refusing to close. I said no to notifications and it switched to a menu which seemed to offer the chance to say no to notifications permanently, but didn't respond when I clicked it.

Then, after a few seconds, a Google ad popped up in front of it, so now all I can see is the orange area either side of the text.
That's probably because there are adverts at the bottom of the screen.
I tried clicking on NEVER ASK AGAIN and ended up opening an advert.
I only use the forum on my PC, so not much use to me. Don't use a Smartphone or tablet.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I can get the notifications on PC, but I have them switched off

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
I'm having the same problem trying to do anything with this message.

Grandad

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Slough Town, Rhostyllen, Barmouth & Dyffryn United, Cheltenham Pilgrims
Ditto

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I'm looking at changing the ad in the bottom space

Nik

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Any outside the PrimaDonna league
On my laptop I'm getting a message bar:

NonLeagueMatters Forums would like your permission to enable push notifications

The link to enable is greyed out, when I click on the X on the right I get a second message bar:

We strongly recommend enabling push notifications on this device so that you can be kept up-to-date with site activity.
Enable notifications Ask me another time Never ask again

All three links are greyed out and there is no X to close the bar.

On the plus side I'm not seeing any adverts!

When I move to another thread I get the first bar again.

On my iPhone I don't see any messages

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
On my laptop I'm getting a message bar:

NonLeagueMatters Forums would like your permission to enable push notifications

The link to enable is greyed out, when I click on the X on the right I get a second message bar:

We strongly recommend enabling push notifications on this device so that you can be kept up-to-date with site activity.
Enable notifications Ask me another time Never ask again

All three links are greyed out and there is no X to close the bar.

On the plus side I'm not seeing any adverts!

When I move to another thread I get the first bar again.

On my iPhone I don't see any messages

As a first guess it would suggest that your browser is configured not to allow notification access.

Apple devices do not support push notifications.

Nik

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
As a first guess it would suggest that your browser is configured not to allow notification access.

Apple devices do not support push notifications.

Thanks Steve.

I'm happy without the notifications, how do I (can I) get rid of the banner?

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Well you would have to be able to click the 'Never ask again' option as far as I can see.

I'm not sure why those options are greyed out for you. I looked at forum support and can't find any mention of this for anyone else.

I'm assuming it's a browser security setting. You must be disallowing cookies or have very high security settings.

Nik

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Thanks, I’ll have a play with my browser settings.

Climate Change

Reserve Team Sub
I clicked on the ask me later option. Ignorant bugger still hasn't got back to me.....

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I clicked on the ask me later option. Ignorant bugger still hasn't got back to me.....

It will don't worry :p

To everyone... I know there is a problem with the bottom ad blocking the permission bar at the bottom. Currently being worked on.

You see this bar because push notifications have to ask your permission. It's built into the software. Once you click Never Ask Me it should go away.

It is however device specific so you will see it again if you log in from a different device. Just rinse and repeat.

I do understand that some are not used to these notifications and think it's some sort of privacy issue but many will see it as a site improvement as I do. It alerts you to updates to topics or messages you are interested in without having to log in to the forum to check.

Many many mainstream sites use these notifications. They are not an intrusion as you can deny them or turn them off and on in your profile. They don't collect information it's purely a notification of whatever you choose to be notified about.

The reason we did a forum switch just before the World stopped was to make sure that we could take advantage of updates and keep pace with changes to the interweb. That's all I am trying to do by making features such as this available if you want them and I'm sure the teething problems will be sorted soon

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
I'm on Chrome and I'm not aware of having anything blocked via security settings. Certainly I get offers of push notifications from all sorts of websites, and used to have them accepted from Charlton until I got interrupted by one while at work. I'm seeing all options greyed out except the cross on the first bar, like others are reporting.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Click the cross on the first bar then you should have the options displayed

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Click the cross on the first bar then you should have the options displayed
I see the options but they're greyed out and the mouse pointer doesn't change when I hover over them. And then the advert pops up and I can't see them any more.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
The advert will be moved shortly

Anything else is down to your local settings or outdated browser version as all current browsers accept push nnotifications apart from Apple devices

Nik

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Well you would have to be able to click the 'Never ask again' option as far as I can see.

I'm not sure why those options are greyed out for you. I looked at forum support and can't find any mention of this for anyone else.

I'm assuming it's a browser security setting. You must be disallowing cookies or have very high security settings.

Checked all my browser settings and even tried resetting everything to default out of the box settings, still couldn't get the options un-greyed out. FYI I running Windows 10 Home (not safety mode) with M/S Edge, both are the latest versions.

Finally realised that by changing my profile preferences to allow push notifications and unticking all the 'Receive a notifications when someone...' I get rid of the banner and don't get alerts.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks