Possible implications of Governments immigration policy on the Premier League.

jrev61

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
None
I have posted this in the Premier League section rather than the politics one, in the hope that a certain individual doesn't hijack it as he has done with that one.
Assuming the Governments new laws on immigration apply to the Premier League clubs as they do to other employers, does this mean that Premier League clubs will not be able to sign foreign (including EU) players unless they pass the points system? The £25,000 pa earnings will obviously not be a problem, but the educational qualifications and the ability to speak English may well be. Also how will this affect foreign players signing new contracts?
One way round this could be Premier League clubs having academies abroad where young players are educated including being taught English. They would still have to achieve the equivalent of an A level though, something many footballers would not be capable of. Also the academies could fall foul of local government or football authorities' own laws/rules and I doubt whether Burnley for instance could afford to run an academy abroad.
I suspect that an agreement will be made between the government and the FA/Premier League which may limit but not stop the flow of foreigners into our game.
If we do stop the influx of foreigners this would have a drastic affect on our football and may even lead to UEFA banning our clubs from Europe and the British National teams too.
What do other posters think?

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Can't see the government doing anything that'd have such a negative effect. I imagine they might do something like the US do (or at least did when I was over there) and have a separate category of visa, with its own qualifying criteria, for the likes of the sports/entertainment industries.

The bar must have been set pretty low, as it enabled, for example, NY Red Bulls to bring in Brummie lower league journeyman Luke Rodgers to partner Thierry Henry! A surreal strike partnership, broken only when Rodgers' visa renewal was denied for, iirc, a misdemeanour back here in UK.

Last edited:

jrev61

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
None
Can't see the government doing anything that'd have such a negative effect. I imagine they might do something like the US do (or at least did when I was over there) and have a separate category of visa, with its own qualifying criteria, for the likes of the sports/entertainment industries.

The bar must have been set pretty low, as it enabled, for example, NY Red Bulls to bring in Brummie lower league journeyman Luke Rodgers to partner Thierry Henry! A surreal strike partnership, broken only when Rodgers' visa renewal was denied for, iirc, a misdemeanour back here in UK.

Without getting too political the immigration policy will have a negative affect in other areas of employment ie agriculture and care homes, which let's face it are much more important (though less glamorous ) than sport.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Yes, Jrev61 - but you are the OP on this post to specifically discuss the implications for football. If you want to make comments on the affects of government policy on other aspects of life, then the politics thread is the place to put it.

Bigaitch

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None in particular
I have posted this in the Premier League section rather than the politics one, in the hope that a certain individual doesn't hijack it as he has done with that one.
Assuming the Governments new laws on immigration apply to the Premier League clubs as they do to other employers, does this mean that Premier League clubs will not be able to sign foreign (including EU) players unless they pass the points system? The £25,000 pa earnings will obviously not be a problem, but the educational qualifications and the ability to speak English may well be. Also how will this affect foreign players signing new contracts?
One way round this could be Premier League clubs having academies abroad where young players are educated including being taught English. They would still have to achieve the equivalent of an A level though, something many footballers would not be capable of. Also the academies could fall foul of local government or football authorities' own laws/rules and I doubt whether Burnley for instance could afford to run an academy abroad.
I suspect that an agreement will be made between the government and the FA/Premier League which may limit but not stop the flow of foreigners into our game.
If we do stop the influx of foreigners this would have a drastic affect on our football and may even lead to UEFA banning our clubs from Europe and the British National teams too.
What do other posters think?
I cannot help but feel somehow the regulations will be allowed to be by-passed in the upper echelons of the game.

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
I cannot help but feel somehow the regulations will be allowed to be by-passed in the upper echelons of the game.
Probably, although even Premier League clubs sometimes have problems with work permits for non-EU players under existing rules.

I assume it’ll impact on EU players who come here for trials with clubs, ie without a firm job offer.

There’s news today on the adverse impact rules will have on musicians and performers coming to the UK to play or audition, so I don’t see how footballers will be treated any differently.

D

Deleted member 541

One way round this could be Premier League clubs having academies abroad where young players are educated including being taught English. They would still have to achieve the equivalent of an A level though, something many footballers would not be capable of.
Footballers aren't any less intelligent than the average person and they are perfectly capable of getting an 'A' level (or its equivalent in other countries.)

As someone who voted to remain in the EU, I disagree strongly with the government's new policy, which will create a lot of problems for the NHS, but having more English footballers in the Premier League rather than all those foreign players whose names are impossible to remember, may not be a bad thing. Football is very different from other fields of employment and all professional clubs should be trying to use local players.

jrev61

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
None
Footballers aren't any less intelligent than the average person and they are perfectly capable of getting an 'A' level (or its equivalent in other countries.)

As someone who voted to remain in the EU, I disagree strongly with the government's new policy, which will create a lot of problems for the NHS, but having more English footballers in the Premier League rather than all those foreign players whose names are impossible to remember, may not be a bad thing. Football is very different from other fields of employment and all professional clubs should be trying to use local players.
You're quite right that footballers aren't less intelligent than the average person, but the average person often doesn't have any A-levels. I know I don't. Also 16 year olds who sign for the various Premier League club's academies are extremely unlikely to have any A-level equivalents. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but if the government is seen as interfering in football, this could lead to the suspension of the FA from FIFA and/or UEFA. This has happened in other countries.

007Dale

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
You're quite right that footballers aren't less intelligent than the average person, but the average person often doesn't have any A-levels. I know I don't. Also 16 year olds who sign for the various Premier League club's academies are extremely unlikely to have any A-level equivalents. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but if the government is seen as interfering in football, this could lead to the suspension of the FA from FIFA and/or UEFA. This has happened in other countries.
I’m not sure a country’s immigration policy will result in the FA being suspended, as it will apply to all industries and not specifically to football. Even FIFA can’t interfere in non-football politics (although it might try).

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Very much doubt that a new immigration policy will be one size fits all. Currently there are separate visas for sports people and I can't see why the government would want to change that idea in principle, even if they wanted to significantly vary the eligibility criteria (and I don't know that they do).

Atavistic

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Norwich City, Yaxley
If the rules do become stricter and it becomes harder for clubs to get non-British players in, my concern would be that the price of British players will rise even higher than the already ridiculous rates due to big clubs trying to stockpile the best homegrown talent. With the rules in place about homegrown numbers required, this could be quite problematic for clubs lower down the pyramid.

Chances are, though, that little will change at all, especially for the big clubs who seem to be a law unto themselves at this point.

oftenscore6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
If the rules do become stricter and it becomes harder for clubs to get non-British players in, my concern would be that the price of British players will rise even higher than the already ridiculous rates due to big clubs trying to stockpile the best homegrown talent. With the rules in place about homegrown numbers required, this could be quite problematic for clubs lower down the pyramid.

Chances are, though, that little will change at all, especially for the big clubs who seem to be a law unto themselves at this point.
Higher prices for British players would have an income trickledown for lower division clubs though, I'd expect.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks