Politics Thread

derekn

Team{s}
Taunton Town
Strangely, journalists are also employed to write opinion pieces and not just regurgitate propaganda like State media.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Yes , commentary masquerading as news........typical !
No, the piece was clearly shown as commentary, with a note at the bottom stating the writer was on Labour's National Policy Forum.

Isaac Hunt

Junior Team Star
If you look more carefully you will see that it wasn't me that said the Tories were planning to sell off the NHS, although I did like the post. As for providing evidence I don't see you doing that very often, if at all. Like your 'glorious' leader you just spout some right wing crap with nothing at all to back it up.
I'm also glad you think it's appropriate at this time to criticise the NHS rather than your beloved Conservative Party. It just shows what a vile individual you are. I shall now be blocking your posts so I don't have to read the evil nonsense that you post.
As opposed to the left wing crap you spout?

Your last two sentences say more about you than about anybody else.

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
So the unofficial Government line that will surely become official that is fast emerging is that they relied on scientific advisers to make decisions. If they were given the wrong advice then they made the wrong decisions and that isn't their fault. Even Maggie would be turning in her grave... 'advisers advise and Ministers make decisions'.

I'm feeling like I'm on the set of a Carry On film. Probably 'Carry On Trying To Save My Career' and no this is not a lefty rant. They did well to ensure the NHS wasn't overwhelmed but put too many resources into that one aim which proved to be unneeded so far. They did well with the furlough scheme that was announced quickly and effectively but I would far rather the Government actually had got the basics right and stopped thousands of people needlessly dieing.

Moving Covid patients from hospital into Care Homes? The debacle with testing and PPE that carries on to this day. Really? Go travel on public transport in Germany and elsewhere in Europe... they hand you a free mask. It's a shambles and no number of Ministers coming on TV and saying how well they are doing will disguise that. Where is Johnson anyway? We're promised he will be ushered into PMQs tomorrow.
This is how its always been.
We are unprepared. The opposition whoever they are at the time hold the Government to account.
The Government in turn defend the indefensible.
Eventually we fall back on turning a disaster into a victory hiding behind the bravery of many to hide their lack of foresight. Dunkirk for example.
So in the end any criticism of this mess will be an deemed an attack on our brave men and women on the front line of the NHS. Twisted by either side to score points against the other.
Eventually their bravery will completely hide the fact that they should not have been put in that position in the first place.

Last edited:

Yatesman

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
Dunkirk was a military defeat but a National victory.

The British, French and Belgians werent prepared for the speed and veracity of the German Panzer attacks backed by dive bombing....Blitzkrieg It was a new type of warfare and one we hadn't faced before.

Our victory was the unprecedented evacuation of almost 400,000 troops in a matter of days giving us the platform to resist the Nazi invasion of Europe.
And yes, we can thank the French rearguard, supplemented by several British divisions, that held back the German advance and made it possible.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
The British, French and Belgians werent prepared for the speed and veracity of the German Panzer attacks backed by dive bombing....
Pesky Germans, always telling the truth.

Yatesman

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
No, the piece was clearly shown as commentary, with a note at the bottom stating the writer was on Labour's National Policy Forum.
Almost all news is mere commentary these days.

Basically, news programmes have substituted news reporting and allowing the populace to analyse and think for themselves , for running commentary designed to instruct the populace on which political party to hate the most.
Every 'news item's is an instruction in moral indignation.

Today's is the pile on involving Dominic Cummings.
What seems like, to any right thinking person, a sensible decision to drive his family home to Durham to self isolate near his parents, is now the evil even the devil himself wouldn't contemplate.

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular
Today's is the pile on involving Dominic Cummings.
What seems like, to any right thinking person, a sensible decision to drive his family home to Durham to self isolate near his parents, is now the evil even the devil himself wouldn't contemplate.
Yatesman, he had the virus FFS.......even you shouldn't be blinded enough to defend that.

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
Dunkirk was a military defeat but a National victory.

The British, French and Belgians werent prepared for the speed and veracity of the German Panzer attacks backed by dive bombing....Blitzkrieg It was a new type of warfare and one we hadn't faced before.

Our victory was the unprecedented evacuation of almost 400,000 troops in a matter of days giving us the platform to resist the Nazi invasion of Europe.
And yes, we can thank the French rearguard, supplemented by several British divisions, that held back the German advance and made it possible.
I have in my time spoken to quite a few men who were there and it would be fair to say most did not consider it a victory.
But as you say it was our type of victory and so it will be with the sacrifice and bravely shown by our NHS and care workers.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
"...speed and ferocity...", surely?
That was my initial thought. I suppose voracity, thinking voracious, might also be appropriate.

Hard to read his mind, however. Thankfully.

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs

I think the fashion police might want a word with him but other than that............. complete non story.
Surely it's worse than Neil Ferguson or Catherine Calderwood's indiscretions? They both resigned.

Cummings was meant to be self-isolating because of his exposure to the virus. He was symptomatic, unlike Ferguson or Calderwood.

Yatesman

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
"...speed and ferocity...", surely?
Yes, probably a better word .
The essence of what I was saying was understood and that's the important thing.
Were they fierce or were they efficient??
Maybe a bit of both.

Yatesman

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
Surely it's worse than Neil Ferguson or Catherine Calderwood's indiscretions? They both resigned.

Cummings was meant to be self-isolating because of his exposure to the virus. He was symptomatic, unlike Ferguson or Calderwood.
I don't know the full details.

If he drove up alone in a separate vehicle to his wife and children then , as stated, stayed in a separate building you have to say that is reasonable.

Going to a holiday home a la Calderwood or shagging some Skank like Fergusoon is way, way worse than a man self isolating close to other family members.
Edit:
Ok I've just read that his wife was considered too ill to properly care for their young child.
Those are the 'exceptional circumstances 'that make his actions tenable.
Of course, the haters wont permit a Tory any exemptions.

Last edited:

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
I don't know the full details.

If he drove up alone in a separate vehicle to his wife and children then , as stated, stayed in a separate building you have to say that is reasonable.

Going to a holiday home a la Calderwood or shagging some Skank like Fergusoon is way, way worse than a man self isolating close to other family members.
Edit:
Ok I've just read that his wife was considered too ill to properly care for their young child.
Those are the 'exceptional circumstances 'that make his actions tenable.
Of course, the haters wont permit a Tory any exemptions.
Actually thats the first time i have ever thought of him as a Tory.
I just view him as a person doing a job and is determined to win. A career psychopath as Cameron is supposed to have called him.
A Tory or just a man doing a job. Not sure.

jon b

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
shagging some Skank like Fergusoon
Obviously you didn't get the memo, the papers all seem to be talking about it being a "tryst" which sounds quite sweet and romantic for a game of Mr Wobbly hides his helmet.

Mind you, maybe she's being unfairly slandered. It could be that she, like Jennifer Arcuri, has IT skills that she was passing on to Ferguson. Helping him use his mouse to best effect perhaps.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks