Politics Thread

Yatesman

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
We are no longer able to send gunboats to get our way so we have to rely on soft power. The BBC is one of the greatest exponents of that soft power.
The BBC has never helped the Gov't 'Get it's way' so I don't know where that idea comes from.

007Dale

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
The Cabinet Reshuffle really gives 100% clarity on who has all the responsibility to deliver for the country. The PM is also First Lord of the Treasury and this ‘takeover’ gives full accountability to him. If the country fails - Boris is the one to blame. If it succeeds, he takes the plaudits.

All this nonsense about Cummings pulling the strings - he’s appointed and serves at the discretion of Boris. Cummings also failed to get his way on HS2.

As I’ve said all along - I wouldn’t want to be a friend or colleague of Boris - he’ll stab you in the back before breakfast, but as a leader of the country, so far, so good.

Yatesman

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
It was representing the 1.6 million Scottish voters who voted to Remain. 62% of those voting and a majority to Remain in every single one of the 32 Scottish voting areas. Including, of course, your own.

As they're now able to point out that Scotland was forced out of the EU against it's will by English nationalists, Scots Nationalists can justifiably claim that only Independence will end the English dictating to the Scots what to do.

Brexiters have brought about the exit of the UK from the EU, their success makes much more likely the exit of Scotland and Northern Ireland from the UK.

Not that the Tories care.
You have no evidence that the 17.4 million who voted Brexit were English Nationalists.

I don't even think 'English Nationalism' is a thing!

People in Scotland have much bigger issues than membership of the EU.

Poverty, Drug-deaths , Shambolic NHS, depleted local services, terrible roads, non-existent bus provision etc , etc, etc!

You rightly point out that there is only a 600,000 voter difference between Remain and Leave.

Also most Remainers in Scotland would rather we Get Brexit Done and then see what the UK looks like. We hear that more and more up here ( Last night on QT , for example).

Don't buy the SNP narrative of them representing the Scottish Electorate.........
They Don't.
They Never Have
They have never won over 50% of the popular vote.. EVER..........Let alone the 60% needed for an indy mandate.

They got 45% at the last election............and that is with the utter shambles of an opposition from Labour in Scotland. If they can't get 50% with Labour on its knees , When Will They ????????

jon b

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
You're whistling in the wind.

Over past decades the SNP have risen from virtually nothing to be the largest party. The young in Scotland are in favour of Independence just as the young in Ireland are turning to reunification.

Just a matter of time before you have to choose between your blue passport and a Scottish one.

And it's comical to try to pretend that there wasn't an overwhelming vote in Scotland in favour of remaining in the EU.

Part-Timer

Junior Team Star
It only has an inate liberal bias for those who want to see one.

I'm almost permanently tuned to Radio 4 which gives me the closing stock market prices every day, has programmes called "The Financial World Tonight" and "Money Box" which tells people who have more money than they need how to use it to their best advantage to make more money that they don't directly need.

Don't get me wrong, that's OK but where are the programmes to tell those who don't have all the money they need how to get more; to tell those in poorly paid jobs how to organise and campaign to get better wages and conditions? From that point of view the BBC looks pretty right wing.
I agree with the sentiment that BBC bias tends to be in the eye of the beholder. However, there are plenty of programmes advising the poor how to budget, how to reduce bills, how not to be wasteful, etc. In fact on my rare forays into daytime television there seems to be little else. They don't tell the less well-off how to organise campaigns against the Government but then again the BBC's financial programmes don't tell the wealthy how ensure that a left-leaning Government doesn't get elected either.

paulh66

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Indeed. We‘re ruled by an unelected bureaucrat ... ironic given Brexit.
So the country's run by advisers and civil servants - call the cops.
Except they're all ultimately accountable to our elected representatives.

Yatesman

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
You're whistling in the wind.

Over past decades the SNP have risen from virtually nothing to be the largest party. The young in Scotland are in favour of Independence just as the young in Ireland are turning to reunification.

Just a matter of time before you have to choose between your blue passport and a Scottish one.

And it's comical to try to pretend that there wasn't an overwhelming vote in Scotland in favour of remaining in the EU.
Rising from obscurity dos not gain you any added value in politics.

Picking one group ( The Young) out of the elecotrate and placing that view over and above any oe elses's is undemocratic, if not fascist.

I'll have both passports, thank you.

There has never been a vote pertaining only to Scotland.................The only vote I remember was a UK wide vote.

Yatesman

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
Why do they need 60% for an indy mandate? I was under the impression that you thought 51.9% was an ample figure for a mandate at a referendum.
No, those are two different matters.

60% is a reasonable support base to 'HOLD' a referendum. To subject the population to the inconvenience, cost, uncertainty and division of a referendum.

50.1% is enough to 'WIN' the referendum.

You're welcome!

jon b

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC

Picking one group ( The Young) out of the elecotrate and placing that view over and above any oe elses's is undemocratic, if not fascist.

There has never been a vote pertaining only to Scotland.................The only vote I remember was a UK wide vote.
Fascist? Oh dear, that's desperate. 😃

The thing about the young is they're the future.

The old die off.

Maybe you should be become McYatesman and get yourself a kilt.

Yatesman

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
Fascist? Oh dear, that's desperate. 😃

The thing about the young is they're the future.

The old die off.

Maybe you should be become McYatesman and get yourself a kilt.
I've got a kilt in a Union tartan.

And No,fascist is an honest assessment

How else would you evaluate your exclusivism? ( I'm all ears )

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Again, Yatesman - you must be careful of the wording. It is one thing to say a practise if facist in nature (and I am not arguing the accuracy of the statement), but you appear to be verging on calling the poster a facist, (which I hope was not your intention)

Yatesman

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
Again, Yatesman - you must be careful of the wording. It is one thing to say a practise if facist in nature (and I am not arguing the accuracy of the statement), but you appear to be verging on calling the poster a facist, (which I hope was not your intention)
Thank you Leohoenig.

I absolutely was not calling Jon b a fascist.......That he most definitely is not.

My point, as you rightly suggest, was that the practice of isolating specific groups within the electorate and elevating their value is undemocratic.........and yes, verging on fascist. In a free and fair democracy every vote and every voter is of equal value. An 18yr old and an 88 yr old are equal at the ballot box.......Well, that's how I see it.

Yatesman

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
But every vote is not equal in a first past the post system.

when did a PM get over 50% of the vote voting for his or her party.
Every vote is equal in the FPTP system...........One person ,One Vote.....

Is it the best system?........No.
Is it a legal system?...........Yes
Are elections in the UK conducted fairly?.......Yes
Have The Conservatives passed all the necessary criteria under the present legal and fairly conducted FPTP system needed to form a legitimate Gov't?.........Yes

If there are aspects about the current electoral system that bothers you then campaign to get it changed but don't question the legitimacy of BJ's Premiership or of the Tories' right to be our Gv't because you have absolutely no grounds whatsoever to do that.

Personally, I would like to see a system of Proportional representation and see how that works out.

Climate Change

Junior Team Star

jon b

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
I absolutely was not calling Jon b a fascist.......That he most definitely is not.
Thanks Yatesman 🙂

I think maybe the thing to worry about is that I'm actually in favour of the United Kingdom remaining a united kingdom, but I'm not at all sure that the current government are really all that bothered that it does.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks