Planned rebirth of Formby FC

JamesF

Junior Team Sub
Yesterday, an interesting tweet appeared from the landowner of the Altcar Road site on which Formby FC played prior to their demise. Aside from the misspelling of the club's name, the artist's impressions look pretty appealing:

Some background: the land upon which Formby's ground was built back in the early 2000s is designated as greenbelt. There were a great number of restrictions associated with how the site could be developed, and as such only the most basic facilities were installed. Hugh Mcauley, who in addition to owning the plot was also a director of the club at the time of its folding, has long had intentions of erecting a grand sport and leisure complex in place of what currently stands - which would in turn would double as home for a revived Formby FC. He submitted a similar plan back in 2016, but this was effectively sunk when authorities refused to consider stripping the site of its greenbelt status. The existing ground has been in pretty much constant use over the last few years, predominantly by youth and Sunday sides.

However, there appears to have been further movement recently (I really don't know any details of the politics), and he is now confident enough to issue a new proposal. Clearly, this will take many years to come to fruition - if indeed it does. The hypothetical new club cannot be assured of an instant placement at Step 6, so may have to look towards the West Cheshire or Liverpool County Premier as its starting point.

Last edited:

Mad Bill

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hyde United
Buffalo Bills
Lancashire CCC
I'm assuming this is the Hugh McAuley who played for Tranmere, among others.

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
I'm assuming this is the Hugh McAuley who played for Tranmere, among others.
He's certainly had a long association with Formby FC but I think it's his son, also called Hugh and also an ex pro footballer, who's driving this.

hmsfable

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Liverpool, Halifax Town, East Stirlingshire, Hendon.
Yes it is his eldest son Hugh who is the owner of the land and behind this. A local family with long standing connections to Formby and the club. Hopefully this will come to fruition would be good to have Formby FC back on the non league map one day soon. Fingers crossed.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
He's certainly had a long association with Formby FC but I think it's his son, also called Hugh and also an ex pro footballer, who's driving this.
This appears to be the former Cheltenham Town player

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I quite like the term rebirth. It shows a connection to the old club but does not pretend to be a continuance

Mad Bill

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hyde United
Buffalo Bills
Lancashire CCC
Happy memories of Formby at their old Brows Lane ground when Hyde clinched the title of last ever Champions of the old Cheshire League with a 4-1 win, 24 April 1982.

Atavistic

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Norwich City, Yaxley
Will this "new" Formby team have anything to do with Formby Community FC (who were founded last year) or will it be an entirely new entity unrelated to that club?

JamesF

Junior Team Sub
Will this "new" Formby team have anything to do with Formby Community FC (who were founded last year) or will it be an entirely new entity unrelated to that club?
It seems likely to me that there is no link. Formby Community FC appears to be unconnected to the MacAuley family (who run their own coaching operation in the town).

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks