Penalty or not?

Tykeoldboy

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
I have viewed this footage from Reading v Manchester United in the WSL and if that is a penalty then the laws of the game need to be changed.

BBC WSL Video

If this is the standard of refereeing in the WSL someone in the FA needs to take responsibility for such poor standards of officials in the Women's professional game in England.

funky pigeon

Junior Team Starter
Male referees can make equally bad errors when awarding penalties. I remember seeing a Premier League game on TV a few years ago when a penalty was awarded for a foul which was very clearly a good few yards outside the penalty area.

jon b

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
I suppose the defender's arms going so high as she jumped misled the ref and there was no VAR to rescue her from a calamitous mistake.

I don't know what the sisterly sympathy among women referees is like, but from reading Howard Webb's autobiography it's clear that a male referee making such a clanger (and no doubt there's been many such occurrences) would receive pretty merciless gleeful "banter" from fellow refs.

Of course, in times past, such monumental errors would be witnessed only by those at the game and there wouldn't be slow motion replays to confirm the ref's howler. Now, thanks to YouTube and comic football DVDs the lady concerned will never hear the end of it. Not a good day at the office.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks