• Welcome... you are currently viewing the Forum as a Guest. If you create an account or log in if you aleady have one you will see less adverts and will have the opporunity to remove the adverts altogether for just £1.50 a month by upgrading in your Profile screen... the Ads and Upgrades provide the funds to keep NLM online.... Thanks

parkrun

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
Having previously resisted posting a thread about parkrun, mainly as I thought I'd be talking to myself, I have finally decided now is the time. Following a 70 week break parkrun returned in England yesterday, if you ignore the fact that junior parkruns had already been up and running for a while. Despite being able to restart on 3rd April parkrun sought landowner permission before returning and wanted I believe at least 85% to agree before restarting, that and an extension of lockdown measures meant yesterday was the eventual big day. One of the reasons for seeking permission was to avoid some parkruns being over run with extra attendees as unlike most other running events there is no way of limiting numbers. Personally I had been doubtful that large numbers would be present at first as with many other aspects of life people were cautious about returning.
So yesterday I finally ticked of my 465th parkrun at Lingwood with a steady 28-27 for 38th place of 74 finishers this being my third visit to this parkrun, which like most other Norfolk parkruns was well below previous figures either for last run on 14-3-20 or comparable Saturday 2 years ago, 111 and 113 in Lingwood's case. Like many other parkruns Lingwood shares it's venue with a football club and the start line is just beside the dugouts at South Walsham FC.
For a free event parkrun does boast a very good database of results for all events and participants. Link to my records here for example https://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/athleteresultshistory/?athleteNumber=14842
A few members of this forum and it's predecessor have mentioned doing parkruns so hopefully I'll not be rambling on to myself !!

Hertspireite

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Chesterfield FC
Other Step 3 to 7 teams in the 3 Counties area of Beds, Herts and Bucks
Having previously resisted posting a thread about parkrun, mainly as I thought I'd be talking to myself, I have finally decided now is the time. Following a 70 week break parkrun returned in England yesterday, if you ignore the fact that junior parkruns had already been up and running for a while. Despite being able to restart on 3rd April parkrun sought landowner permission before returning and wanted I believe at least 85% to agree before restarting, that and an extension of lockdown measures meant yesterday was the eventual big day. One of the reasons for seeking permission was to avoid some parkruns being over run with extra attendees as unlike most other running events there is no way of limiting numbers. Personally I had been doubtful that large numbers would be present at first as with many other aspects of life people were cautious about returning.
So yesterday I finally ticked of my 465th parkrun at Lingwood with a steady 28-27 for 38th place of 74 finishers this being my third visit to this parkrun, which like most other Norfolk parkruns was well below previous figures either for last run on 14-3-20 or comparable Saturday 2 years ago, 111 and 113 in Lingwood's case. Like many other parkruns Lingwood shares it's venue with a football club and the start line is just beside the dugouts at South Walsham FC.
For a free event parkrun does boast a very good database of results for all events and participants. Link to my records here for example https://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/athleteresultshistory/?athleteNumber=14842
A few members of this forum and it's predecessor have mentioned doing parkruns so hopefully I'll not be rambling on to myself !!
Feel free to ramble, my local Parkrun starts on the playing fields behind my house..... and keen parkrunners like to 'Tick Off' new locations, so it lends itself for the keen statistician.

I am currently not fit enough to run, but I do sometimes volunteer.

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
I've ticked off quite a few different parkruns 40+ though two of those no longer exist, Fritton Lake and the recently departed Mulbarton. I've also volunteered on numerous occasions and in fact ran in my volunteer 25 shirt yesterday,

BDA_85

First Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Dunstable
I am currently not fit enough to run, but I do sometimes volunteer.
If I can do it, I don't believe there's anyone out there that can't. The last time I did it I was overtaken by a lady double my age pushing a double buggy.
Unlike mxhornet, I won't be sharing a link to my profile!!

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
If I can do it, I don't believe there's anyone out there that can't. The last time I did it I was overtaken by a lady double my age pushing a double buggy.
Unlike mxhornet, I won't be sharing a link to my profile!!
Yes the ethos is very everyone is welcome at whatever speed. I knew yesterday would amongst my slower parkruns so was surprised to only be lapped by the first placed runner.

Hertspireite

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Chesterfield FC
I will probably start by walking it....my ankles and knees 'go' when I try and run....my local parkrun has a right turn around a farmer's field...it is known locally as Carnage Corner....shoes have been lost ankle deep... I didnt fancy walking it in the heavy downpour....maybe next week....

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
As if to prove a point I ran my slowest ever time at Brundall parkrun yesterday, though that wasn't the plan I fully intended to try and run quicker than last week but never really got going and even with an effort of the last (fourth) lap I still failed to get inside 30 minutes. Oh well it is a step nearer my 500 t shirt and there's always next week.

Hertspireite

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Chesterfield FC
I volunteered as a Marshall.....2 laps of pure mud was not appealing....

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
Not sure which parkrun you were at but I do remember Barclay parkrun being very muddy, though that was for a New Year's Day event. Though your earlier suggests it was somewhere else.

BDA_85

First Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Dunstable
Both my children ran their first junior parkrun this morning, mainly because of this thread. After reading mxhornet's opening post I signed them both up! They really enjoyed it. They've somehow convinced me to buy them barcode tags already!

Pre-run I was telling my son not to try and keep up with his sister Caitlin and that if she went off ahead not to worry and to just enjoy it. What do I know!?!

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
Deja vu as I repeated my 28-27 of a fortnight ago but at Sloughbottom this time, up until moving in March 2020 this had been my local parkrun, but I'd not done the back up course on any of my previous 28 times running at Sloughbottom. So that is now ticked.

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
As if to prove a point I ran my slowest ever time at Brundall parkrun yesterday, though that wasn't the plan I fully intended to try and run quicker than last week but never really got going and even with an effort of the last (fourth) lap I still failed to get inside 30 minutes. Oh well it is a step nearer my 500 t shirt and there's always next week.
A return to Brundall yesterday for their event number 235, keen to improve on a fortnight earlier and possibly run quicker than the 28-27 I'd achieved at the flatter events since parkrun resumed. Close but no cigar, 28-41 which left me in 76th place of 137 finishers, just another 32 parkruns until I can claim 500 shirt. Numbers steadily rising again Brundall had 107 on restart day and 123 & 128 on the Saturdays before yesterday.

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
A trip my local parkrun yesterday (Catton) it was previously my nearest for quite some time until Sloughbottom started but as we moved during parkrun's "break" Catton is back to being my home parkrun. As with Brundall three weeks earlier it was one of those days when I never really got going, official time = 30-32, 172nd of 285, parkrun number 469, 131st time at Catton. I will probably be back next week to try and post a more reasonable time.

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
Since then a couple of visits to Catton 28-51 and a deliberately slow 32-36 (half marathon day after) and then back to Sloughbottom 30-03 slow to get going and not quite dipping inside 30 despite a big effort over last km. Now up to 472 parkruns.

Richard Rundle

Junior Team Star
I am a Parkrunner, my local event is at Eden Project but that hasn't restarted yet - part of the course was affected by a landslip and they are trying to work out a new route.

Didn't run yesterday as it my one Saturday in eight working, but hoping to tick a new one off en route to the Witney Hop next weekend.

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
I've not managed to tick off a new parkrun since the restart as current circumstances mean that I need to be home by 10. So another go at Brundall on Saturday, with this being the slowest of the four realistic options I was pleased with 28-30 (3 seconds short of my restart best) which had been achieved twice on the both of the flat options, Brundall isn't the most popular of local options due it being four laps and the big hill* coming at the end of each of those laps but I do like it myself. i finished 40th of 89, this being my 473rd parkrun and 16th visit to Brundall.

* Norfolk hill !!

norwich6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 26th September I was really disappointed and frustrated to record 43:39 at Sloughbottom Park Norwich
as I had really thought I could beat my previous best of 43:35.

Saturday 9th October my 10th park run at Sloughbottom and I was really pleased to record a time of 42:16 beating
my best by 1 minute and 19 seconds. I ran some of the course with a lady in the 70-74 age group ( I am in the 65-69
group) this lady usually runs at Catton Park and we both encouraged each other when were flagging, towards
the end she ran ahead of me to record a time of 41:52

The feeling of euphoria I got when I found I had beaten 43 minutes is hard to describe in words.

Now the really hard work starts as I have a real ambition to record a time of under 40 minutes I realise
this will seem slow to many but for me it would be a real achievement.

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
Saturday 26th September I was really disappointed and frustrated to record 43:39 at Sloughbottom Park Norwich
as I had really thought I could beat my previous best of 43:35.

Saturday 9th October my 10th park run at Sloughbottom and I was really pleased to record a time of 42:16 beating
my best by 1 minute and 19 seconds. I ran some of the course with a lady in the 70-74 age group ( I am in the 65-69
group) this lady usually runs at Catton Park and we both encouraged each other when were flagging, towards
the end she ran ahead of me to record a time of 41:52

The feeling of euphoria I got when I found I had beaten 43 minutes is hard to describe in words.

Now the really hard work starts as I have a real ambition to record a time of under 40 minutes I realise
this will seem slow to many but for me it would be a real achievement.
One thing they have at Catton that I'm pretty sure wouldn't have been available to you at Sloughbottom is a PB bell.

As I gradually close in on 500 parkruns (476 at the moment) no sign of anything remotely like a PB, since my last post 3 more in the bank. Sloughbottom, Catton and most recently Lingwood.

In other parkrun news, it looks like chance to do New Year's Day doubles are a thing of the past. Also the landmark t-shirts are available for 25 runs, 50 and 100 volunteer in addition to those previously available.

norwich6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 16th October

My first ever visit to Catton Park run and a time of 42 minutes 53 seconds was recorded, I found it a lot harder
than the Park Run at Sloughbottom and I lost a few seconds as I had to stop and ask a marshal if I
was going the right way !

Still was reasonably pleased with the time as only the second occasion in eleven runs that I have recorded
a time of under 43 minutes.

Probably back to Sloughbottom next week.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks