October 28

Steveb

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1986 Middlesex Senior Cup, 3rd qual rnd: Haringey Borough 1 Feltham 0 (70)

1987 Football League Cup, 3rd rnd: Wimbledon 2 Newcastle United 1 (6,443)

1989 Gloucestershire County Lge: Lawrence Weston Hallen 2 Cinderford Town 1 (17) abandoned at half-time

Horrendous weather brought an early end to this game. It reached half time so countable by my rules. I'm yet to go back to the club now known as Hallen, but I will do one day.

1992 Welsh Cup, 3rd rnd: Llanidloes Town 0 Wrexham 3 (700)

1995 FA Vase, 1st rnd: Bideford 2 Tiverton Town 1 (465)

1998 FA Trophy, 1st rnd replay: Paget Rangers 1 Gateshead 0 (84)

2000 Wearside League: Whitehaven 2 Wolviston 2 (30)

2003 United Counties Lge, Premier Div: Woodford United 2 Stewart and Lloyds 3 (23)

2007 West Wales Senior Cup, 1st rnd: Trostre 1 West End 1 aet 4-2 on pens (66)

This cup is no more, which is a shame as it was a good source of Sunday fixtures.

2008 North West Counties Lge, Premier Div: Abbey Hey 3 Flixton 1 (35)

2012 Radnorshire Cup, 2nd rnd: Brecon Town 0 Llandrindod Wells 5 (5)

Brecon Town were in the Mid Wales South League. They folded at the end of the season, which perhaps isn't surprise given that this cup tie on a Sunday attracted so few spectators. They had a good ground though, at Brecon Leisure Centre.
3823.jpg

2015 BUCS Midlands 1A: Nottingham Trent University 4 Loughborough University II 0 (15)

2017 Westmorland Senior Cup, 2nd rnd: Langwathby United 2 Ambleside United 7 (2)

A county cup tie that failed to capture the imagine of the locals. I think this is my lowest ever 'crowd' for a Saturday afternoon game.

stingray

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
Saturday 28 October 2000 - Barnet 4-3 Lincoln City (Nationwide Division 3)
Saturday 28 October 2006 - Stourbridge 2-0 Leighton Town (Southern League Midlands)
Tuesday 28 October 2008 - Leighton Town 3-0 Slough Town (Southern League Cup)
Monday 28 October 2013 - Beaconsfield SYCOB 1-4 Rugby Town (Southern League Central)
Tuesday 28 October 2014 - Leighton Town 1-1 North Greenford United (Southern League Central)
Saturday 28 October 2017 - Leighton Town 3-2 London Colney (South Midlands Premier)

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Sub
1991 (Monday)

Shamrock Rovers 2 Bray Wanderers 0
League of Ireland Premier Division
@ Royal Dublin Society Showgrounds k.o. 15:00

Shamrock were, and still are, the most successful club in the Republic but after losing their traditional Glenmalure Park in controversial circumstances after winning the title in 1987 their fortunes took a downturn. After acrimonious spells sharing at Tolka & Dalymount, which many fans boycotted, the club moved to the RDS Showgrounds in 1990. As the name suggests, this impressive facility dating from the 1800s was the location for equestrian events. The fans embraced the move with the first ever 'soccer' game at the venue attracting over 22,000.

Whilst not up to that figure, a healthy crowd was present for this game - the last Monday of October is a Bank Holiday, hence the afternoon kick off. Both teams had also played the previous day. The fact that I bought a stand ticket makes me wonder if the terraces were closed. Unlike Hoops sides from a few years earlier, none of the squad for this match ring any bells with me.
SR (2).jpeg RDS.jpg

After Shamrock moved out again in 1996, the RDS was the venue for various football matches including internationals, cup finals and St Patricks European ties. It is now the home of Leinster Rugby.

Last edited:

Loiner

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
None
1989- NCEL Div.2. Fryston C W v Hall Road Rangers 0-0.
1990- Rugby League Div.2. Fulham v Batley 14-7 @ Crystal Palace Recreation Centre.
1992- Central Midlands League, Wakefield Trophy. Gedling Town v Kimberley M W. 2-3.
1995- FAW Trophy 3rd round. Rhos Aelwyd v Rhydymwyn 1-1.
2000- Humber Premier. Easington United v Walkington Wanderers 7-0.
2006- Hope Valley Premier. Harpur Hill v Duckmanton Community 3-3.
2007- FA Women's Cup 1st round. Leeds City Vixens v Rochdale 1-2 (aet).
2017- Yorkshire Old Boys Shield 1st round. Shire Academicals v Fishburn Park 1-2.

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
1991 (Monday)
Shamrock moved to the RDS Showgrounds in 1990. As the name suggests, this impressive facility dating from the 1800s was the location for equestrian events. The fans embraced the move with the first ever 'soccer' game at the venue attracting over 22,000.
They lost about (?) 20,000 fans in 3 months , about 1,500 / 2,000 there on 30/12/90 v Waterford.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Star
1991 (Monday)

The fact that I bought a stand ticket makes me wonder if the terraces were closed.
I was also at that match and recall clearly that the late Paul Sparrow was sitting near me in the north stand - I am sure that the terraces were closed. I don't remember seeing Lord Lucan there, although it has to be borne in mind that no-one has seen him since 8th November 1974.

I was disappointed to find that Finchley Flyer has not got an entry for 1980, as this is the date I made my first visit to Summers Lane. I guess he doesn't want to be reminded of the result anyway.

Last edited:

norwich6

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Wednesday 28th October 1987
Friendly at Iffley Road Oxford kick off 1400
Oxford University v Arsenal Reserves
Score 1-4 half time 1-3 Attendance around 40
Free Admission No paperwork
Although billed as a reserve side Arsenal fielded a strong team
which included Nigel Winterburn, Gus Caesar, Niall Quinn,
Charlie Nicholas and Martin Hayes. Not surprisingly Arsenal
won quite comfortably with goals from Quinn on 22 minutes
and two Charlie Nicholas goals before half time. The
University goal being scored on the stroke on half time, the
Arsenal players were none too happy as it looked well offside
and most spectators watching thought so too.
The second half was much quieter and was like a training game
with the 4th Arsenal goal coming 6 minutes from time being
scored by Martin Hayes,

Saturday 28th October 1989
FA Cup 4th qualifying round kick off 1500
Mossley v Bishops Auckland at Seel Park
Score 1-1 half time 1-0 Attendance around 400
A reasonable game Mossley took the lead against the run of play
with a 35th minute long range free kick. After the interval it was
again Bishops who were the better side but it took them until the 73rd
minute to find an equaliser. After this both sides had chances to
win the game but neither could find the net. Bishops won the replay
3-0 Bishops beat Tow Law in the first round proper but went out to
Crewe in the second round after a replay.

Thursday 28th October 2010
FA Youth Cup 1st Round
Gillingham v Cambridge United at Priestfield
Score 1-2 after extra time 90 minutes 1-1 half time 1-1
Admission £3 included 4 page fold over programme
Attendance 299
In the years I lived in Kent I never managed to see Gills win a
home match in the Youth Cup the nearest being a defeat on
penalties to Aston Villa. This match looked it would also go to
penalties but Cambridge scored a very good 117th minute winner.
In the next round Cambridge lost at home to Exeter.

The Willows

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 28th October 2006

Macclesfield Town 2 Mansfield Town 3 (2,599)

At Moss Rose for the MTFC derby match in League Two. With a 'Rocky style introduction' Paul Ince was installed as new manager of the leagues bottom club, Macclesfield. At half-time you would have thought we were at the foot of the table with our pathetic contribution. The game came to life in the second period with five goals and the Stags took the points with ex Silkman Richie Barker's brace in the last 10 minutes.
100_0322.JPG

Oxpete

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Pompey
Seven...

Saturday 28th October 1995~
Division One
Portsmouth 4-2 Watford

...with goals from Mark Stimson, Fitzroy Simpson, Jimmy Carter and Martin Allen...

Tuesday 28th October 1997~
Southern League Cup 1st Round 2nd Leg
Waterlooville 2-2 Newport IOW

...with two goals from 'Ville's Steve Tait not enough to overtake Newport, who won 4-3 on aggregate...

Saturday 28th October 2000~
Isthmian League Div.1
Worthing 1-6 Oxford City

...attended with TheWavendonian, after our original choice at Havant & Waterlooville was postponed early on. So bad was the weather that day that our train to Worthing was actually hit by the remnants of a tornado that had just recently ripped apart a caravan site at Selsey before dislodging roofs and chimneys in Bognor Regis. When it reached our train as we passed through Barnham, it still had enough power to turn the sky black and block out the sight of anything outside the windows while bashing the sides of the carriage for at least a whole minute.

Saturday 28th October 2012~
Hellenic Premier
Kidlington 0-2 Thame United

Tuesday 28th October 2014~
Southern League Premier
Banbury United 1-5 Hereford United

...played just seven weeks before Hereford United FC were wound up on 19th December 2014 with debts of £1.3million, before the creation of the phoenix-club Hereford FC...

Wednesday 28th October 2015~
Hellenic Premier
Oxford City Nomads 0-4 Binfield

Saturday 28th October 2017~
Oxfordshire Senior League
Mansfield Road 2-3 Cropredy

1604017916413.png

BDA_85

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
AFC Dunstable
DateVenueHomeAwayResultCompetition
28 October 2006Vicarage RoadWatfordTottenham Hotspur0-0Premier League
28 October 2017Vicarage RoadWatfordStoke City0-1Premier League

Watford were winless after 10 Premiership games following the goalless draw against Tottenham.

Darren Fletcher scored a sweet volley for Stoke City from a Xherdan Shaqiri corner to ease the pressure on boss Mark Hughes.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks