October 22

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In 1895, a train travelling too fast on arrival at Montparnasse Station in Paris overran the buffers, crossed the concourse and crashed onto the road outside, killing one person.

1603309344717.png

Ricardo

Youth Team Regular
1986 Beveren 3 Athletic Bilbao 1 crowd 9,000
UEFA Cup 2nd round 1st leg, Freethielstadion

I had liked Beveren from the first time I saw them in the Belgian Cup Final in 1985, so it was a logical step to go and visit their ground, and a European game against decent Spanish opposition was of interest to me, especially as they had just signed David Fairclough. The home side took the lead after 14 minutes through Frank Peeraer but Bilbao hit back straight away with a headed equaliser from Sarriugate two minutes later. Paul Theunis restored the home side’s lead after 28 minutes and it was 2-1 to a Beveren at the break. In the second half Fairclough slotted a third goal in after 58 minutes and that was the end of the scoring. In the second leg Fairclough scored to extend the overall lead to 4-1 and although Bilbao hit back to win 2-1 it was the Belgians who went through, where in the next round they lost to Torino.

2009 Fulham 1 AS Roma 1 crowd 23,561
Europa league Group stage

When I lived in Putney in the 1990s I used to go along to Fulham once a season to see them and they were often struggling, I once saw them lose 2-0 at home to Hayes in the F.A. Cup so it was amazing to see them in Europe at all so I thought I’d better get there before they got knocked out, and Roma was the pick of the games in the group, amazingly they not only got out of the group but reached the final knocking Juventus out on the way. Brede Hangeland gave them the lead after 23 minutes, but in the second half Roma came back into the game and Jon Arne Riise, once of Liverpool, was tripped in the area but Menez had his penalty saved by Mark Schwarzer in the Fulham goal. I left the ground with a minute or so to go but missed the Roma equaliser in the 3rd minute of injury time with a volley from a corner from Italian defender Andreolli.CD6BBB2A-194F-438E-B180-E875F7AC1244.jpeg

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Hopeful
1977 NPL 1500 Lancaster C. 1 Wigan A. 6 1200
A battle of the top teams at the Giant Axe as the Latics came to town. A bit of a game of two halves here ;-) as the hosts played well in the first half and went into the break one up through Darley. Wigan went haywire on the second half and Moore and Wright both notched pairs as they blew the Dolly Blues away. Too many draws meant that the visitors only finished second to Boston United at the end of the season, but they were still promoted to the FL.

1978 BL2S 1430 Freiburger FC 3 K.ickers Offenbach 2 5000
Superb game, as the visitors, who had came down from the Bundesliga, were the better side in a first half where a lot of skill was on display, and deservedly led by Lasch's 11th minute goal. The second half was one of the best ever seen at the Moeslestadion by all accounts as the home team battled back into it and the game became dirty, skilful and thrilling in equal measure. Marek equalised straight after the break with a clever move, a Karvouniaris own goal put Offenbach ahead again, but Buehrer equalised immediately after. The home team went for the winner, spurred on by former Austrian international Ettmayer, and it came from full-back Derigs in the last minute. The visitors clearly expected to win, and were not happy at the end.
Report (in German) from the excellent FFC history website (I've mentioned it before) - look for 12.Spieltag:

2011 HL2004 1500 Fair Oak 3 Andover Lions 6 7
Really good game in which both sides attacked well. The visitors were clearly better and led 2-0 after 20 mins. The hosts were down to the bare bones and had no sub when their no 5 went off injured. Nevertheless they came back and reduced the deficit, only for Lions to score again before the break. After the break Tigwell scored two goals, the second a world-class turn and chip from 30 yards to keep his team in touch. But Fair Oak tired and Cass completed a hat-trick and a victory for his team. Lions were hoping at this time to take over as being the main team in Andover after the main team's demise. But they never finished higher than fourth in the Hampshire 2004 and flattered to deceive.

2016 FAV1 1500 Sholing 0 Buckland Ath. 3 147
Wessex Prem v Western Prem, both teams in their top fives. After a good start the hosts quietened down, and were shocked by a Johansen goal for the visitors near to half time. The home team came close to an equaliser after the break against a team sitting on their lead, but were undone by two goals in the last five mins. by Groves and S.Revell. A red card for captain Byron Mason in injury time summed up Sholing's frustration.

2019 FAV1(R) 1945 Horndean 1 Raynes Park V. 2 65
Cupset as lowly CCL Div 1 side RPV won at highly-placed Wessex Prem opposition. The hosts totally dominated the first half hour and should have been out of sight, as it was, they only had one Duffin goal to show for it. The visitors were more in it in the second half, despite having to defend a lot, and Jordan got a surprise equaliser after 77 mins. And then in injury time they broke down the left and Jordan set up Williamson for the winner.

barnetbee

Junior Team Star
1988 - Barnet 1 Aylesbury United 0 (GM Vauxhall conference)
1991 - Wingate & Finchley 4 Welwyn Garden City 1 (Middlesex Senior cup 1st round)
1994 - Yeading 1 Telford United 0 (FA Cup 4th qualifying round)
2011 - Stotfold 1 Herford Town 1 (Spartan South Midlands league premier Division)
2014 - Fisher Youth 1 Barnet Youth 10 @ Dulwich Hamlet (FA Youth cup 2nd qualifying round)
2016 - Brimsdown 1 Risborough Rangers 5 @ Haringey Boro (Spartan South Midlands league Division 1)
2019 - Barnet 3 Potters Bar Town 1 (FA Cup 4th qualifying round replay)

Oxpete

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Pompey
Five...

Saturday 22nd October 1988~
Division Two
Walsall 1-1 Portsmouth

...my only visit to Walsall's old Fellows Park, with Pompey's goal coming from Mick Quinn. If I remember correctly, Pompey's fans were corralled onto two neighbouring but separate terraces: one immediately behind the goal, and the other taking in the corner to the right. At some point during the second half it lashed down with rain, with those Pompey fans on the corner terrace able to shelter beneath the right-hand side stand roof, from where they pointed and laughed at those of us stood out in the open...

Monday 22nd October 1990~
Hellenic Premier
Havant Town 4-0 AFC Totton

Saturday 22nd October 1994~
Division Three
Blackpool 2-1 Swansea City

...so far my only ever trip to Blackpool, where I met up on the away terrace with some old Swansea mates, later kipping on their B&B floor after a night out on the town. Bloomfield Road was a wreck of a ground at the time, but still hinted at what a mighty venue it once was. Swans' fans were tucked beneath an old stand on the side, but we still had a great view of the vast open terrace (by this time empty and abandoned) at the town end of the ground.

Tuesday 22nd October 2013~
Hellenic Premier
Thame United A-A Wootton Bassett Town

...abandoned at half-time with the score at 0-1, due to torrential rain and lightning...

Saturday 22nd October 2016~
Northamptonshire FA Cup 2nd Round
Long Buckby 0-2 Heyford Athletic

...in the company of TheWavendonian...

1603322691173.png

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Wednesday @ 19-15 ,
UEFA Cup Winners Cup R2 (1st leg).
Wrexham 2 v 0 Stal Rzeszow..

@ Racecourse Ground.
-s-l225.jpg--hqdefault.jpg

Wrexham - Brian Lloyd , Micky Evans , Alan Hill , Mel Sutton , Eddie May , Gareth Davies , Graham Whittle , Arfon Griffiths , Billy Ashcroft (2), MickyThomas , Brian Tinnion.
Sub - Alan Dwyer for Thomas.
Manager - John Neal.

Highlights -

Stal - Henryk Jalocha , Stanislaw Sieniawski , Jan Gawlik , Bronislaw Biel , Tadeusz Michaliszyn , Zdzislaw Napieracz , Janusz Krawczyk , Stefan Kawalek , Stanislaw Curyio , Czeslaw Miller , Marian Kozerski.
Sub - Jozef Janiszewski for Napieracz.
Manager - Zenon Ksiazek.

Referee - Erik Axelryd (Sweden).

After winning in Round1 3-2 on Aggregate against Djurgarden Wrexham put on a show at the Racecourse in the second round against the Steel from Rzeszow , they were very good in the first half and went in at the break 2-0 up with 2 goals by Billy Ashcroft ( 10th & 24th min ).
They couldn't improve on this but it was enough as they lost only 1-0 in the away leg to progress to the QF where they lost 2-1 on Aggregate to eventual winners of the competition Anderlecht.

26 x games . 1 x double , 5 x 0-0's , imagesVAOVXJM3.jpg 9 x foreign.

Now blogging at
--- https://eccentricity.video.blog/ ---Do not open if a snowflake. (You've been warned , so don't blame me). 🚫

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).
1974 Stoke 6 v 2 Chelsea.
1996 Widzew Lodz 3 v 0 Gornik Zabrze.
2005 Cherno More 3 v 1 Pirin 1922.

--1910-Dr Crippen found guilty---------------------1966--George Blake escapes---------------
-untitled.png----_39375042_blake_pa238.jpg

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1983 Wycombe Wanderers 0 Harrow Borough 1 (Isthmian Premier Div)
1985 Finchley 0 St Alban's City 1 (Isthmian Div 1)
1991 Wingate & Finchley 4 Welwyn Garden City 1 Att 70 (Middlesex Senior Cup 2nd Preliminary Round)
2006 Tottenham Hotspur 1 West Ham United 0 Att 36,162 (Premier League)
2011 Wingate & Finchley 1 Hornchurch 2 Att 221 (FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round)
2016 Wingate & Finchley 4 Tonbridge Angels 0 Att 151 (Isthmian Premier Div)
2017 Tottenham Hotspur 4 Liverpool 1 Att 80,827 (Premier League)
2019 Tottenham Hotspur 5 Red Star Belgrade 0 Att 51,743 (UEFA Champions League)

Football Shorts

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
neutral
2013 - ATHERTON LR 2-3 NELSON - nwcfl 1d - att 55
2016 - CARLISLE CITY 0-3 SANDBACH UNITED - nwcfl 1d - att 70
2019 - MANCHESTER CITY 5-1 ATALANTA BERGAMASCA CALCIO - ucl gc - att 49308

3 games - 14 goals - 1 red - 4 pens, all scored - 1 new ground (#21)

mxhornet

Reserve Team Sub
Football

1983 Collier Row - 3 Brentwood - 1 Essex Senior Trophy Second Round

1988 Ampthill Town - 2 Ramsey Town- 7 United Counties League Division One (I've seen Ampthill Town three times and seen them lose 7-2 twice)

1989 BRS - 0 Blue Boar - 7 Crusader Sunday League Division Two (played for home side) @ Frettenham Village Hall

1994 Spixworth - 2 Easton - 1 Norwich Business Houses League Division One (a different Spixworth FC to the one that became Norwich CBS)

2017 Wymondham Town Ladies - 13 Ipswich Wanderers Ladies - 2 Eastern Region Women's League Division One North

Rugby League

2008 Cambridge University - 31 University of Lincoln - 20 SRL Midland Division @ Trinity Old Field

Running

1977 Southend Road Relay 3 x 2 3/8 miles 12-07 1st team

2016 Norwich parkrun (323) 25-41 242nd

prorege

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1986, Wednesday
European Champions Cup Round 2 First Leg
Celtic v Dynamo Kiev, 1-1, H.T. 0-1 Att 47,896
At Celtic Park

Celtic: Packy Bonner, Peter Grant, Tommy Burns, Roy Aitken, Derek Whyte, Murdo McLeod, Brian McClair, Paul McStay, Mo Johnston, Tony Shepherd, Alan McInally. Subs Willie McStay, Paul McGugan, Owen Archdeacon, Mark McGhee, Peter Latchford.
Manager Davie Hay

Kiev: Viktor Chanov, Vladimir Bessonov, Volodomyr Gorili, Oleg Kuznetsov, Anatoli Demyanenko, Vassily Rats, Pavlo Yakovenko, Andrei Bal, Alexander Zavarov, Vladim Yevteshenko, Igor Belanov. Subs Oleksander Schterbakov, Alexi Mikhailichenko, Vasyl Yevseyev, Oleg Blokhin, Mikhail Mihkailov.
Manager Vladimir Lobanovsky

Celtic’s prospects of qualification looked gloomy following this 1-1 draw at home to the Soviet Champions. In fact it wasn’t a bad result – the Kiev side was essentially the Soviet national team that had entertained so regally a few months earlier during the World Cup in Mexico. To this day I think they were the best foreign side I have seen in Scotland. Kuznetsov was imperious at the back, Demyanenko a maestro in midfield and Belanov a constant threat up front. The only disappointment was not getting to see Oleg Blokhin who remained on the bench throughout. Two of the Kiev side would later join Rangers, Kuznetsov and Mikhailichenko.

Celtic had a makeshift defence due to injury. Tommy Burns played in an unaccustomed left back role. Young Tony Shepherd had a rare start with Mo johnbston and Alan McInally up front. The paucity of the Celtic bench indicated how far their resources were stretched.

Kiev were brilliant on the ball but also displayed a physical side. Recognising Tommy Burns as a threat, he was booted out of the game with a shocking challenge by Zavarov in the early stages. Kiev took the lead midway through the first half. Quite how the ref awarded a corner when a Kiev man was through on goal and was felled by Bonner I do not understand. However, justice was done as the corner was swung over and was missed by a couple of defenders and by Bonner leaving Yevtushenko with an easy chance to score.

Celtic pushed for an equaliser but always looked vulnerable on the break. Thankfully from their point of view they did not concede a second and their tenacity was rewarded with an equaliser 10 minutes from time. Mo Johnston’s first shot was blocked by Chanov but the striker followed up to score from the rebound.

I was in the Rangers End for this game. The crowd were genuinely thrilled by the quality of Kiev’s play and the Soviets were given a magnificent ovation at the end of the game.

Brief highlights:

Extended:

Celtic Kiev prog.jpgCeltic Kiev ticket.jpg

Kirby Knitters

First Team Starter
Team{s}
The Knitters.
WMRL Premier.
Tividale A-A Wednesfield.

Eerste klass A.
Club Brugge 2 Cercle Brugge 2.
Att. 16,000.

Conference North.
Stalybridge Celtic 1 Hinckley United 1.
Att. 478.

norwich6

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 22nd October 1977
FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round kick off 1500
Banbury United v Oxford City at Station Approach
Score 1-0 Programme 10p
Don't have any further details think perhaps Terry Evans got Banbury's goal
in the second half. Banbury were drawn away to Bideford in the 4th
qualifying round.

Tuesday 22nd October 2002
Southern League Eastern Division kick off 1945
Sittingbourne v St Leonards at Bourne Park
Score 2-1 half time 2-0 Attendance 120
After a shaky start the Brickies went ahead after 16 minutes
with a Andy Drury goal. Eleven minutes later Sittingbourne
goalkeeper Lee Hook scored with a long punt downfield which bounced
over Newstead the St Leonards goalkeeper's head. This remains the only
time I have seen a goalkeeper score from his own penalty area.
After this both goalkeepers made some fine saves
in an entertaining first half. In the second half St Leonards made it it
2-1 when Baker scored with a penalty. Play swung from end to end
during the rest of the game with more good saves by both
goalkeepers, however no further goals were scored in what was
a memorable match.

Saturday 22nd October 2011
Kent Intermediate shield kick off 1500
Hildenborough v Tonbridge Invicta at the Old Racecourse Slade Ground
Tonbridge
Score 11-0 half time 5-0
Free Admission Programme 50p Attendance around 35
A match barely worth mentioning it was so one sided. A roped off pitch
with no cover, A small tea room from which a programme was available

Tuesday 22nd October 2013
Football League Division 1 kick off 1945
Gillingham v Notts County at Priestfield
Score 2-1 half time 2-0 Attendance 5161
Admission £20 Programme £3
Notts County were struggling near the foot of the league at the
time of this game but they were very unfortunate not to get a least
a point from this match. Gills led 2-0 with goals from Chris
Whelpdale and Danny Kedwell in the 24th and 29th minutes.
But County for whom Jamal Campbell-Ryce tormented the
Gills defence had the lions share of play but just could not produce
a goal, The second half saw much the same pattern, and when
County did finally score 11 minutes from time we thought that they h
might go on to make it 2-2 however Gills held out for the win.
County did manage to avoid relegation at the end of the season
finishing in 20th position.

WorksopBlade

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Worksop Town
Sheffield United
Northern Counties East League Division One

Glasshaugton Welfare 3-0 Campion AFC

Glasshaugton Scorers:
Joshua Vamplew
Ashley Bell
Mark Ferguson

Att: 90
Ground: The Welfare Ground

Ellisref

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1975 - Leicester University IV v Keele University III, an awayday to Stoke for a 1-0 win in goal. This was in the middle of a five game run where I didn't concede a goal.
1977 - Guinness v LBS (West End AFA Senior) - referee, played at their sports ground in front of the brewery. I think QPR used it as a training ground at some time. Needless to say the post-match beer was the best Guinness I've had.
1978 - Stanmore Res v Brownswood Res (London Sunday Junior Cup Round 2) - referee, played at Coppermill Lane, Walthamstow followed by:
Islington Referees v AFA Referees, divided loyalties here as I had a foot in each camp, scored one in a 3-2 win, played at Old Monovians, Woodford.
1979 - Harrow Borough Res v Hillingdon Borough Res (Suburban A) - linesman.
1983 - Inland Revenue Res v St Mary's College Res (SOL Junior Cup Round 1) I think this was my debut for the works Saturday club, played in goal in a 3-1 defeat at Boston Manor.
1985 - Dover Collection v Edinburgh Collection (C&E Challenge Cup 84/85 Final) - referee, played at CS Chiswick, helping out my Customs colleagues as it this time I was seconded to IR Sports Association.
1988 - Chalfont St Peter v Hitchin (Isthmian 1) - linesman.
1994 - Hamworthy United v Shaftesbury (Dorset Combination) - referee.
1995 - Milborne St Andrew v Parley Sports (Dorset Sunday 4 N&E) - referee, played at Winterbourne Kingston, someone must have given me a lift as I haven't got a clue how I'd have got to/from it!
2000 - Summers Electrical v Sturminster Marshall (Dorset Sunday 2) - referee, played at Whitecliff followed by a short trip across town to:
Hamworthy United v Poole Town (Dorset U18 Division 1) - referee, no appointed referee, helping out the club secretary.
2005 - Bournemouth v AFC Totton (Wessex 1) - observer, att. 46.
2011 - Lymington Town v Newport IoW (Wessex Premier) - observer, att. 45.
2016 - Wincanton Town v Portishead Town (Western 1) - observer, att. 74.

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1991 General Motors Vauxhall Conference Northwich Victoria v Gateshead Drew 1-1
1993 Lancashire County Shield Second Round Warrington ‘A’ v Salford 'A' Won 31-22
1994 FA Cup Fourth Round Qualifying Hyde United v Warrington Town Drew 1-1
We were drawn away to Darlington in Round one (then in the Football League) but sadly lost the replay
1996 UniBond League Division One Congleton Town v Matlock Town Drew 1-1
2005 Interserve Lancashire FA Amateur shield Third Round Trimpell Sports & Social Club v Norcross & Warbreck 0-3
2010 Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance Cefn Druids v Gap Connah's Quay Nomads 5-1
2011 Carlsberg South West Peninsular League Division One East Ottery St. Mary v Newton Abbott Spurs (T273) 0-4
Followed by an evening at the celebration of light parade in Honiton, as we were down that way for a week’s holiday.
2013 Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One North Warrington Town v Cammell Laird Won 3-0
2016 Northern Alliance Newcastle Building Society Premier Division Seaton Delaval Amateurs v Killingworth Town (T377) 0-2
A lovely little ground that we ended up as Plan A (Spittal Rovers) was waterlogged off. We were based in Embleton for the week. A lovely Northumberland village and bay
2019 North West Counties League Division One North Atherton Laburnum Rovers v Garstang 1-2

Thyme Machine

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Bath City; Road-Sea (Southampton); & East Preston
OCTOBER 22

Sat 1977 F.A.Cup : Qualifying Three
Bath City 2-0 Dorchester Town

Sat 1983 Russell-Cotes Cup : First Round
Cowes Sports 1-5 Road-Sea (Southampton)

Tue 1985 Southern : League Cup First Round
Waterlooville 2-1 Gosport Borough

Wed 1986 Wessex : League Cup First Round
Sholing Sports 0-1 Road-Sea (Southampton)

Sat 1988 Southern : Premier
Crawley Town 1-1 Bath City

Sat 2005 Western : First
Shrewton United 4-2 Weston St.John’s

Sat 2011 F.A.Vase : First Round
Oxhey Jets 1-6 Enfield 1893

Wed 2014 Kentish Cup (Victory Stadium, Portsmouth)
France 6-3 Netherlands

Sat 2016 F.A.Vase : First Round
Abbey Rangers 3-0 Tunbridge Wells

stingray

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
Saturday 22 October 2005 - Stourport Swifts 1-1 Leighton Town (Southern League West)
Saturday 22 October 2011 - Leighton Town 0-1 Banbury United (FA Trophy)
Monday 22 October 2012 - Beaconsfield SYCOB 3-1 Barton Rovers (Southern League Central)
Tuesday 22 October 2013 - Barton Rovers 1-0 AFC Hayes (Southern League Central)
Saturday 22 October 2016 - Langford 2-1 Codicote (South Midlands Division 1)
Tuesday 22 October 2019 - Leverstock Green 1-1 Harpenden Town (South Midlands Premier)

Loiner

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
None
1988- West Lancs. Div.2. Squires Gate v I C I Thornton 4-1.
1989- Aussie Rules. Fosters Cup Final. Melbourne Demons v Essendon Bombers 82-46 (Adm. £5.75. Prog. (12x8) £1.50) @ The Oval
This was an overseas challenge competition with the semi finals having taken place in Miami (Hawthorn v Essendon) and Toronto (Melbourne v Geelong).
1994- FAW Trophy 2nd round. Welshpool v Waterloo Rovers 13-0.
1996- Leicestershire Senior Div.1. Bardon Hill Sports v Saffron Dynamoe 0-1.
2002- N P L League Cup 2nd round. Lincoln United v North Ferriby United 3-5.
2005- Lancs. FA Amateur Shield 3rd round. Blessed Sacrament v Slyne with West 3-5 (aet).
2011- Lancs.FA Amateur Cup 3rd round. Westhoughton Town v Barrow Wanderers 4-0.
2014- UEFA Youth League Group B. Liverpool v Real Madrid 3-2 @ St Helens RLFC's, Langtree Park.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
18 games on the date, starting with two in the FA Cup

1977 - Cheshunt 1-0 Hillingdon Borough
1980 - Addlestone & Weybridge Town 5-0 Maidenhead United (255)

and then the FA Trophy
1983 - Spalding United 0-1 Wokingham Town (232)

and the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup
1985 - Thatcham Town 2-0 Newbury Town (411) - this was the old Thatcham ground with a good crowd for the derby

1988 - Salford 1-0 Saint Helens Town. North West Counties. By rail to Piccadilly, bus to somewhere close and a walk through leafy suburbia. Then I sat in the old, classic stand and was told by someone on the North West Counties League committee that he did not think the ground was good enough because there was cover on one side only. Fortunately, this official did not hold sway and I think he had something against the club. It was still ten years before Maghull were removed!

1991 - Cogenhoe United 0-1 Kempston Rovers (80). United Counties.
1994 - Hullbridge Sports 1-5 Harwich & Parkeston (40). Essex Senior Cup
1998 - Chelsea 1-1 FC Kobenhavn (21,207). Cup Winners Cup. Chelsea were in the cup as defending champions, but were dissapointing in this game. The impressive Bjarne Goldbæk out the Danes ahead and Chelsea snatched an undeserved equaliser through Marcel Desailly at the end. In the second leg, a single goal by Brian Laudrup would settle the tie in Chelsea's favour and the Londoners would go on to the semi-final, while Goldbæk would transfer to Chelsea later in the year, in a deal that sent Laudrup to Kobenhavn

2002 - Cirencester Town 0-3 Gloucester City, this is the first of three visits (to date), with Gloucester City the home club for the second one.

I deliberately missed 2000 from the list, so as I could tie these two together
2000 - Strombeek 2-3 Heusden Zolder (1000), Division 2
2005 - Beringen Heusden-Zolder 1-2 KV Oostende (1100) Division 2
Just showing the confused mergers and changes in Belgium. In 1997, I saw Heusden play Herzold Zolder, they then merged in 1999 to form the club I saw at Strombeek. Later they moved to the Mijnstadium and changed the name, while another merger and move meant that when I saw them a year later, they were at another ground and another name. Meanwhile I saw another club, also called Beringen at another stadium in 2013, (and that club was running throughout the period).

Earlier in the day for the 2005 match, I was at Parc de Borussia for Borussia Moenchengladbach 4-1 Kiaserlautern (46,092). I have been to the Parc twice, using different transport methods and on both occasions, getting out was horrible. Long queues by road to get out of the car park and onto the motorway in 2005. A serious (and potentially dangerous) crush around the shuttle bus stops in 2014.

2006 - Izegem 1-3 Sint Elioos Winkel Sport (500). Belgium Division 4. Just a short drive from France (I was in Valenciennes the night before). Displaying the league table on a board in the club house is common in Belgium, but Izegem have a fairly unique take on this. For the record, Izegem start the day in fifth place on 13 points, but the visitors are top of the table. Fairly big ground with a running track

Izegem League Table m.JPG

2010 - Friday night in Wales, and one of a number of hoppers at The Rock to see Cefn Druids 5-1 Connahs Quay Nomads (452) in the Cymru Alliance.

P1020505 (2).JPG

2011 - Tintinhull 2-1 Merley Cobham Sports (26). Dorset Premier
2013 - Burscough 0-1 Marine (205). FA Trophy. The intention for Burscough to move ground was already known at this, my last visit to Victoria Park, some seven years before they did move

2017 - Stade Portelois 1-1 AS Beauvais-Oise (aet, 0-3 penalties). (600) Coupe de France, Sixth Round. The area, just south of Bolougne would be familiar to anyone who had been to France by hovercraft, and the concrete platform for the crafts to arrive still sticks out into the sea. The area at the top of the hill has the feel of an out of season destination, which I guess it is, especially on a windy day. The Stade Amour Sergent is near the top of the hill, nestled in with some newer housing and some god views of the channel. The game was not exciting though, with the higher division visitors apparently content to contain the home side, meaning both teams had settled for penalties before the 90 minutes were up. Perhaps that's why we don't get extra time in the Coupe anymore?

2018 - Brighton & Hove Albion U-23 2-0 Benfica U-23 (300). A group game in the Premier League International Cup at Brighton's training ground in Lancing. As with the game a year earlier, this was the date of a journey from England to France. In 2017, I used a morning ferry from Dover, while a year later I took the overnight off Newhaven, and this match fitted well, (I think it kicked off at 7, just to make it easier). The competition is an odd one, as it is officially an English domestic competition and I think all games are played in England. For example, later in the year, Bayern played Benfica at Aldershot in the same group. No cameras allowed, the ground has a basic low slung stand all along one side. I don't think spectators watched from elsewhere

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Sub
1983 (Saturday)

Dundee United 1 Heart of Midlothian 0
Scottish Premier Division
@ Tannadice Park
Att: 13,157

United were reigning champions, Hearts newly promoted from the second level. I do not appear to have a programme for this game. If one was issued I assume it had sold out by the time I arrived as I always purchased back then if one was available.

Davie Dodds scored the only goal.
DD.jpg

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks