October 21

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Sub
Hindenburg was a former President of Germany
Paul Ludwig Hans Anton von Beneckendorff und von Hindenburg, to give him his full name. Good job they shortened it for the ground - would have made my spreadsheet look silly ;).

As well as the airship, various streets, public buildings and so on were named after him and he was given honorary citizenship of many places including large cities such as Berlin, Cologne, Dortmund, Dresden, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Leipzig, Munich & Stuttgart. Along with withdrawal of some of the citizenships, much of the physical stuff which was named after him was renamed in later years due to his Nazi connections. Some communities have kept the names and maintained the citizenship.

Last edited:

Steveb

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1989 Midland Combination, Div 2: Archdale '73 5 Becketts Sporting Club 0 (27)

1995 Western Lge, Premier Div: Torrington 1 Bridport 0 (115)

1997 Northern Counties East Lge, Premier Div: Ossett Albion 1 Denaby United 2 (76)

2000 Lancashire Amateur Cup, 3rd rnd: West Didsbury 2 Aintree Villa 4 (16)

This cup was good for ties between clubs from local leagues and relative bigger fish. West Didsbury were in division two of the Lancashire and Cheshire Amateur League so a game against West Cheshire League opponents was a good one to go to. Little did I think that West Didsbury (with Chorlton added to their name) would rapidly climb the leagues.
1990.jpg

10.30am Premier Academy League: Charlton Athletic U18 2 West Ham United U18 4 (140)
3pm Sussex county League Cup, 2nd rnd: Seaford Town 1 Eastbourne Town 3 (85)

2007 Leinster Senior Lge, Senior Div: Greystones 3 Dublin Bus 1 (65)

As I was with my other half I settled for a single Leinster Senior League game on a Sunday, rather than the usual double. Greystones is a nice town on the coast south of Dublin. Greystones AFC have since merged into Greystones United, so no longer play at this ground.
3008.jpg

2009 Durham Challenge Cup, 1st rnd: Newton Aycliffe 4 Ashbrooke Belford House 1 (109)

2012 Montgomeryshire Cup, 2nd rnd: Newtown Wanderers 0 Llanfair United 5 (29)

2015 BUCS Northern 1A: Liverpool John Moores University 1 Leeds University 0 (2)

2016 Moldova, Divizia Nationala: Zimbru Chisinau 1 Dacia Chisinau 0 (1,650)

10.30am Yorkshire Christian Lge, Div 1: Mowbray Community Church 2 Relentless FC Bradford 1 (10)
2.30pm Wearside League: Coxhoe Athletic 1 Sunderland West End 8 (50)

Two grounds that were both much better than expected. Coxhoe's ground is well worth a visit for anyone who's not been. Mowbray CC have since folded, but I think another club in the same league now plays at Darley PF near Harrogate.
4588.jpg

4589.jpg

The Willows

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Tuesday 21st October 1997

Swansea City 0 Mansfield Town 1 (2,589)

It was a 450 mile round trip to Swansea on a Tuesday night for this Division 3 fixture, so an away victory made the journey home more enjoyable. I liked the Vetch Field, visited seven times, a quirky ground with odd looking stands due to the close proximity of houses, it came as no surprise when they moved. The Stags winner came from Walsall 's current manager Darrell Clarke, a local lad who added some quality to our midfield. We ended this campaign in 12th place, a reasonable finish given our turbulent times with the Chairman. It was also the last season where I was ever present at all Stags competitive games.
swansea_vetchfield2.jpg
vetchfield3.jpg

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
No less than 23 matches for me on this date, with more than a quarter of them being Cheltenham games. Not a bad date for Cheltenham either, with four wins compared to two defeats, so lets give them a mention first

2000 - Cheltenham 0-2 Rochdale (4033). A repeat for the visitors of the scoreline in Cheltenham's first ever league game. Cheltenham have only won one out of nine times I have seen Rochdale at Whaddon Road.
2003 - Cheltenham 2-1 Darlington (2745)
2008 - Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Cheltenham (4535)
2011 - Accrington Stanley 0-1 Cheltenham (1641)
2014 - Cambridge United 1-2 Cheltenham (3253)
2017 - Cheltenham 1-0 Lincoln City (3312)

The first of the other 17 games was
1978 - Kingstonian 0-0 Hillingdon Borough. FA Cup at the old Richmond Road ground
1981 - Fareham Town 0-3 Hastings United. Southern League. My fourth visit to Cams Alders and the first visit to include goals. A Fareham player did score, but as you can judge from the result, this did not help. My fifth visit was also 0-0 but Fareham won on my sixth trip
1984 - Filton Town 3-1 Bristol University (20). Avon Combination. This is the students' team at my Alma mater. Hence playing make up games on a Sunday as they started the season late. The team, Bristol Union, in the same league, and same venue was a staff team.
1985 - Worcester City 2-0 Gloucester City (948). Southern League Cup
1986 - Horden CW 0-3 Alnwick Town (65). Northern League. My memory is that they had poor quality, yellow floodlights. Horden played in Red and White stripes, and Alnwick in Black and White. It was hard to tell them apart.
1987 - Bradford City 2-4 Manchester City (14,819). Second division at Valley Parade
1989 - Tuffley Rovers 2-1 Wotton Rovers (25). Gloucestershire
1992 - Glapwell 1-1 Shirebrook Colliery (100). Central Midlands Floodlit Cup
1994 - Watton United 2-1 Newmarket Town (50). Eastern League. Good Friday night numbers booster
1995 - Grundisburgh 4-1 Beccles Town (110). Suffolk Senior Cup
2006 - CS Erquinghem-Lys 1-9 (nine) US Boulogne Cote D'Opal (600). Coupe de France. Fifth Round. The visitors were therefore probably at tier 3, while the home side were around tier 7. They are lower now. Plucky underdog makes the most of the day, but gets hammered. Followed by Valenciennes-Anzin 3-1 ES Troyes Aube-Champagne (13748) in Division One of the French League, at the old Stade Nungesser

2007 - Swift Hesper 1-4 RFCU Luxembourg (352),
PA210084 m.JPG

2012 - Another double, this time in Croatia. I did travel to Trogir, and found their rather wonderful ground, although this was not being used, and hence onto SC Jure Bakotic where Trogir 1912 were playing their home games, but lost 1-0 to Postira-Sardi. Crowd of 25, but they made me very welcome. Thence to the Poljud Stadion to see Hadjuk Split also losing 1-0 at home, to Istra 1961. 22,000 at this one.

2015 - AC London 3-0 Lewisham Borough (59). At the Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium, although not my first visit as I had seen Palace reserves play here. For this one, there were no signs of the problems that beset AC London's short stay in the league.

DSCN0011m.JPG

2018 - Llanymynech 1-6 Llanfair United (37). Montgomeryshire Senior Cup. A Sunday match, and played in England!. The national border runs down the middle of the main road in Llanymynech, with the football ground on the English side. The pubs too, are mainly on the English side, dating back to the days when pubs in Wales had to be closed on the Sunday, while those in England were open. The result was that people would drive miles just to get a Sunday beer. Not many would go half a mile further to watch the football
P1030955 m.JPG

Oxpete

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Pompey
Five...

Saturday 21st October 1978~
Division Four
Portsmouth 3-1 Halifax Town

Tuesday 21st October 1980~
Division Three
Portsmouth 1-3 Plymouth Argyle

...with two of Argyle's goals coming from former Pompey favourite David Kemp...

Saturday 21st October 1995~
Southern League Southern Division
Havant Town 1-0 Fleet Town

Tuesday 21st October 1997~
Division One
Portsmouth 1-1 Bradford City

....which I think was the match that was almost postponed due to light problems. Pompey had just fitted the roof to the new unopened Fratton End stand but had yet to wire up the roof floodlights, not realising that the roof now blocked out the existing floodlight pylons. It was only with the agreement of Bradford manager Chris Kamara that the referee allowed the match to start, despite the deep shadow cast over the Fratton End penalty area.

Saturday 21st October 2017~
Hellenic Premier
Abingdon United 2-3 Burnham

1603320940496.png

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks