October 20

Chris1963

Reserve Team Star
How extraordinary - I'd completely forgotten all about St Francis being in the league and even now I still can't remember it. I do recall that they reached the Irish Cup Final in 1990-91 or thereabouts, but that is all I remember about them. And it's not like I had lost interest in Irish football then, as I had ticked Cork City (at Turners Cross) in 1996, and Crusaders a year or two later. In fact I had visited an even more short-lived LOI club, St James Gate, in 1991-92, when I saw them play at the Iveagh Grounds, Crumlin.

Anyway, I've just had a look at the map and the aerial photo shows that the ground is still there, so hopefully one day they will be back in the league. Alternatively, I could always visit them for a big cup game with a programme - I know such games do happen from time to time, but have never got around to doing one in that country.

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
St Francis 1 Limerick 0
League of Ireland Division 1.
Beat me by a fortnight M'Lord.
Saw them on 03/11 at home to Athlone. 1-1, have an attendance of 90 down.
Had been to CIE Ranch v Glenmore Celtic in the morning @11-00. 0-4. Att 50.

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Really? I’ve got 150 down :unsure:
At CIE 😄 ? Had you been on the Guinness ?
Yes really 🤔 I'm pretty strict on who I count if doing my own head count.

The Willows

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 20th October 1979

Millwall 2 Mansfield Town 2 (6,049)

Used my young persons railcard for my one and only trip to The Den, although I did turn up a year earlier for a postponement. Stags goalscorers in this Division 3 game were Terry Austin and John Latham, we were relegated at the end of season and have not played at Millwall since. No signs of F Troop or Treatment, I guess we were too low key for them.
millwall_the_den.jpg

Oxpete

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Pompey
Seven today...

Saturday 20th October 1979~
Division Four
Portsmouth 4-1 Bradford City

...in front of a colossal crowd of 23,871 at Fratton Park, during a season when Pompey, Huddersfield, Bradford, Walsall, Newport and others were pulling in crowds that made a mockery of the Division Four average. And this one was a cracking match - Phil Ashworth, who we'd just picked up on a free-transfer from Rochdale reserves, knocked in two goals, with the other two coming from Alan Rogers and Colin Garwood as the ground went mental. Come the last day of the season, Pompey would pip Bradford to the fourth promotion spot on goal difference.

Saturday 20th October 1984~
Division Two
Wimbledon 3-2 Portsmouth

...which I notice Ricardo has not included on his list, meaning I'll have to do the honours for a date that still has Pompey fans who witnessed it breaking out in midnight sweats. Cos this was the match of Noel Blake's most infamous own-goal - admittedly he scored plenty, I think about six in the 84~85 season alone, but this particular one deservedly came up time and time again in the 'When Saturday Comes' column 'Great Own Goals Of Our Time'. Right on half time, Pompey conceded from Alan Cork, and when restarting the ball was played straight back to Blake in the middle of his own half. Without looking, he passed back to Alan Knight who was busy rubbing his knee, at which point the entire away terrace began to scream out to the goalie, but to know avail... And as the ball nestled into the back of the net, Knight attempted to hide his embarrassment by crumpling spectacularly to the ground, while teammates rushed to hold back a raging Blake. Half-time in the away dressing-room must have been fun! Later goals from Bobby Doyle and Alan Biley weren't to salvage a point, and it was the points dropped here (equalled only by the 4-4 draw colapse against Fulham on New Years Day) that cost promotion on goal difference come the final day of the season. In fact, this footage is the first time I've seen the event since that day thirty-six years ago. Still a painful talking point in the PO4 postal area...

Friday 20th October 1989~
Division Three
Swansea City 1-0 Tranmere Rovers

...I always enjoyed these matches that Swans would shunt onto a Friday night because of competing rugby. Football at the Vetch, then a night out on the town...

Saturday 20th October 1990~
Division Two
Portsmouth 3-1 Leicester City

...with Pompey's goals from Warren Aspinall, Colin Clarke and Hearts-legend Kenny Black...

Wednesday 20th October 1999~
Wessex Premier
Moneyfields 1-5 Thatcham Town

Sunday 20th October 2013~
FA Sunday Cup 1st Round
Flamstead End 1-7 New Salamis

...played at Cheshunt FC's Theobald Lane ground. New Salamis were at the time in the highly-rated KOPA London Cypriot Sunday league, but have now climbed up into the Spartan South Midland League of the pyramid...

Saturday 20th October 2018~
Hellenic Premier
Royal Wootton Bassett Town 1-3 Brackley Town Saints

1603319960636.png

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks