Obituaries and Remembrances - Other Sports

Kentish exile

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Gillingham, Kent CC, Miami Dolphins, Camborne RFC, Castleford Tigers
The golfing equivalent of the 'Watersplash' kick.

:cry: RIP

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
National Conference League amateur rugby league club Eastmoor Dragons are mourning chairman Dave Roberts, who died on April 14th of the effects of coronavirus. He was 62.

Roberts played for the Wakefield club until an injury ended his career. He then started coaching Eastmoor's teenagers. Roberts moved on to coach open age players at district, Yorkshire county and Great Britain amateur international level.

An Eastmoor statement read: "It is with great sadness that we have to announce the passing of Dave Roberts, club chairman at the club. He was a great character and a huge part of the club. The Dragons family have lost a true friend and gent."

Dragons committee member James Ganley told wakefieldexpress.co.uk: "Nobody had anything untoward to say about him. Dave was a great guy, friend and coach. He has done every job in the club. He was well known and well respected in the rugby league community. He is known as Mr Eastmoor. That's a fair description."

Clubs tweeting their condolences include Mirfield Stags and Ossett Trinity Tigers.

Dave leaves a wife, Ann, and children, Charlotte and Toby.

Last edited:

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Julian Barkworth, a former cross code rugby player who played League for Hull Kingston Rovers in the 1990's and Union for Hull RUFC, has died aged just 51. After retiring from playing he spent 12 years as a coach at Hullensians RUFC.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Mitch Cronin, an Australian rugby league player, has been found dead at his home in Brisbane aged just 27. He was captain of Wynnum Manly Seagulls for whom he led to the Grand Final of last year's Queensland Cup. Earlier in his career he spent time with both Brisbane Broncos and Canberra Raiders without making his NRL debut.

The Seagulls hooker had reportedly just completed a weights session before deciding to cool down in the pool, where he was later reportedly found by members of his family.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Blair Scott, the former Scottish Monarchs (1996), Edinburgh (1997-2002, 2005), Glasgow (1997), Newport (1997), Belle Vue (2002), Workington (2002-04) and Berwick (2004) speedway rider, has died. Edinburgh-born Scott was 39.

Statement on speedwaygb.co.uk:

British Speedway would like to offer our condolences to the family of Blair Scott following his sad passing.

Blair, 39, was best known for his time as an Edinburgh rider and also had spells with Workington, Belle Vue and Berwick.

Edinburgh chairman Alex Harkess said: “My relationship with the Scotts in Blair’s racing days was very much a family affair, most of the team were with their families and met and talked together. It was a different time. There was a very warm and friendly climate in the club at the time.

“I am very sad to see the passing of someone so young. He was a very nice lad and a pleasure to work with. In a way we built our team round our young Scottish prospects, Blair and Barry [Campbell]."

Co-promoter John Campbell added: “I’m so sorry to hear that. Blair was super enthusiastic with a great will to win but didn’t get as far in speedway as he should have done with the talent he possessed. I travelled with him and Ally to a few long distance away matches. Blair was excellent company and good fun to be with. I’m so sorry to hear of his passing.”

Last edited:

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Former Hull KR, Warrington Wolves, Sheffield, Doncaster and York City Knights forward Jordan Cox has died at the age of 27. The cause of death is unknown and not thought to be suspicious or related to COVID-19

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper

Kentish exile

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Gillingham, Kent CC, Miami Dolphins, Camborne RFC, Castleford Tigers
Sad to see that Don Shula, the legendary coach of the Miami Dolphins has died at 90.

He led the Dolphins to a perfect season (17-0) back in 1972

Bagman

Youth Team Hopeful
Former England batsman Brian Bolus has died at the age of 86.
The right-hander played seven Tests between 1963 and 1964 and averaged 41.33 with a highest score of 88, made against India in Chennai.
He began his career with Yorkshire and was part of three Championship-winning sides before moving on to Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.
In all, Bolus scored 25,598 first-class runs, including 39 centuries, and more than 3,000 in limited-overs cricket.
He retired from playing in 1976 and later served as an England selector and chairman of the management advisory committee before becoming Notts president in 2004 and 2005.
The England and Wales Cricket Board said in a statement that it was "deeply saddened" by the news.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Jack Robinson, a Wigan Rugby League Club director and later chairman for 18 years from 1979, has died. He was 77.

With Maurice Lindsay, Jack Hilton and Tom Rathbone, Robinson, an antiques dealer, was part of the so-called Gang of Four which revitalised the club and enabled Wigan to embark upon and sustain an unparalleled period of success.

Club chairman Ian Lenaghan told wiganwarriors.com: "Jack Robinson was a Wigan Rugby League man through-and-through. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at this sad time. We thank him for his significant contributions to our great club and we hope his loved ones can find some solace in his evident achievements here at Wigan Rugby League Club."

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Huddersfield Rugby League Club are mourning a former player, Brian Curry, who has died at the age of 84.

Obituary from examiner live.co.uk:

One of Huddersfield's best known rugby league players, Brian Curry, has died aged 84.

He was introduced to the sport by his father who took him to watch his idols at Fartown.

Aged 17, it was Bill Davies, coach at Lockwood ARL, who gave him the opportunity to develop his love of the game and nurture his goal-kicking talents.

Brian had become one of the amateur Rugby League game's leading players, captaining the England international and Yorkshire county teams when he signed for Huddersfield on 17 July, 1957 following A team trials.

Replacing the injured Frank Dyson he played for Huddersfield in a charity game against Halifax at Fartown on 10 August 1957, kicking 10 goals for good measure.

His full first team debut came a week later in the first league game of the 1957-58 season on 17 August, kicking 9 goals in a 33-15 win against Bradford Northern at Fartown.

Unfortunately, he missed the first two seasons in the early 1960s because of National Service.

Later on he joined Oldham for three seasons making 53 appearances and kicking 145 goals and scoring three tries.

He then moved on to Blackpool Borough before rejoining Huddersfield in June 1971. His two goals at Doncaster on 31 October 1971 in a 12-4 win took his Huddersfield points total to 1,003 - 473 goals, 19 tries in 212 appearances.

His playing career came to a dramatic end at Crown Flatt, Dewsbury, when aged 34 he severely dislocated neck vertebrae.

Brian remained in a coaching capacity at Fartown. As well as being assistant to Brian Smith, 1973-76 and Keith Goulding, March-December 1976 he had two spells in charge.

He and Bob Tomlinson were surprisingly dismissed by the club.

He is still remembered by Fartown supporters as one of the best 'Nr 1's' the club ever had.

Brian was born on 28 June 1936. He died on May 3 at Castle Grange Care Home, Newsome. Previously he had lived in Brockholes with his wife Rita.

His funeral is scheduled for 21 May (no time stated as yet) at Huddersfield Crematorium. Close family only.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Poole Pirates speedway club are mourning Gordon Day, their former press officer and club historian/statistician.

Statement on the club website, poole-speedway.com:

Poole Speedway are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of long-term club servant Gordon Day, who passed away on May 14th after a short non-Coronavirus related illness.

Club owner Matt Ford expressed his condolences to Gordon's widow Barbara and the extended Day family, and paid tribute to the great work Gordon did for the club. "Gordon was the first person who knew that was I intending to purchase the club. We used to work together on certain things when, as a sponsor, I was helping riders and I made the sincere commitment to Gordon that he would be an integral member of the backroom staff that all clubs need once I had bought it.

"I truly believe that in Gordon we had something extremely unique. I don’t think there could be anyone who had such an extensive history of the club. Mike Golding and I appointed Gordon as club statistician and more latterly club historian but his involvement with Poole Speedway goes well beyond that. He managed our PR for a number of seasons and was a superb ambassador for the club, especially on our Press and practice days.

"I genuinely feel that Gordon is irreplaceable and the sad fact is that there will be parts of our club history that we may never now realise. Gordon will have taken so much information with him. I extend my sympathies to Barbara at this extremely sad time."

The family have advised that owing to current circumstances the funeral service will be a private affair but they do intend to hold a celebration of Gordon's life at a later date.

Apart from his love for his family and speedway, Gordon, a former cycle speedway rider, had an extensive range of interests, with music and gardening high on the list. It has been announced that a tree will be planted in his memory.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Will Forsyth, the former Dewsbury Rams rugby league player, has died after a battle with cancer. He was 24.

The utility back, a junior at Bradford Bulls, played for Rams in 2015 and featured in their Challenge Cup quarter-final against Warrington that year.

Forsyth was a regular in the club’s reserve grade side, coached by Jonathan Schofield, who paid tribute to Will in a statement released by Rams.

He said: “Will played a big part in the team. He went about his business in a quiet way and was always professional.

“Will was a good lad to coach and he had the respect of us all, especially his team-mates.

“He was great to have around the dressing room and he will be sadly missed by everyone.”

Source: totalrl.com

Workington Town Rugby League Club are mourning George Graham, chairman during the 1970s then again for a spell in the following decade. During Graham's first period at the helm, Town reached four consecutive Lancashire Cup finals, winning one, in 1977, against Wigan.

Town chairman Les Smallwood said: "It us with great sadness that we learn of the passing of former club chairman George Graham. George loved his rugby league and sport in general and, as with any past chair, was a great custodian of our club. Rest in peace."

Source: rugby-league.com

Last edited:

Loiner

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None
Former Australian Tennis player Ashley Cooper has died age 83.

John Treleven

Cathie Sabin, 21st May 2020, aged 73

Cathie Sabin, the former President of the Lawn Tennis Association and I.T.F. Olympic Committee member.

In 2013, Sabin became the first female president of Great Britain’s national governing body, a position she held until 2016. While her tenure coincided with Great Britain’s 2015 Davis Cup triumph and Grand Slam victories for Andy and Jamie Murray, it was a lifetime of dedication to the game’s grassroots that saw her honoured with an O.B.E. for Services to Tennis.

Sabin was introduced to tennis at the age of seven, playing through her school years and then at college, when she spent a summer coaching in Newfoundland, Canada. She worked as a teacher in Shropshire, later representing the county both on court and off as an advocate for the sport.

Sabin’s impact on the sporting world stretched beyond tennis. As a physical education teacher at Idsall College, she taught some of the top young English football talent including England internationals Sol Campbell, Joe Cole, Jermain Defoe and Michael Owen, who trained at nearby Lilleshall, then the sport’s national school of excellence.

In 2001, Sabin entered her first official role with the LTA as Councillor representing Shropshire. A member and Chair of numerous committees and groups in the following years, she joined the L.T.A. Board in 2007, became Deputy President in 2011 and served as President from 2013 to 2016. As the first women appointed to the role, she hoped to inspire a new generation of female administrators within the sport.

Sabin was on hand to witness Great Britain defeat Belgium to win the Davis Cup title for the first time since 1936, while her own role in international tennis expanded with her work as part of the I.T.F .Olympic Committee. But she took particular interest in developing the game through clubs, schools and county programs along with initiatives to encourage, support and recognise volunteers, having pledged to look after the future of British tennis. Asked at the end of her time as President which moments had been her highlight, she pointed to the British Tennis Awards she helped launch in 2015 to honour the sport’s unsung heroes.

Loiner

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None
Former Gloucestershire County Cricket Club Captain, Chairman and President Tony Brown has died at the age of 83.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks