November 22

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I recall November 22 1990 quite clearly. It was cold and dry. [Safe bet, every day was cold and dry]

I was working in Panjin, very much a backwater of China at the time. The canteen at the factory was not deemed good enough for foreigners, so we all bussed back to the hotel for lunch. The coach load consisted of a number of expats, Italians, Brits, Austrians and at least one Belgian. The only Chinese would be translaters (and the driver).

This is pre-internet, but I had discovered I could get a crackly BBC World Service reception for the news during the lunch break. On getting back to the bus, I announced that Margaret Thatcher had resigned. Cheering all around.

Maggie remained as PM for six more days as the conservatives completed the election of John Major to replace her.

1975 - Juan Carlos becomes King of Spain
2005 - Angela Merkel becomes Chancellor of Germany

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Hopeful
1980 ILP 1500 Harrow B. 2 Bromley 0 350
The visitors were a surprising third in the league at the time of this game on their return to this level, but they were disappointing on the day, and second-half goals by Pearce and Sharratt capped a good home performance.

1986 LD3 1500 Brentford 1 Blackpool 1 4471
Mid-table matchup, the visitors were hard opponents and played the offside trap frequently. Bees were ahead at the break through Stevens but sadly the visitors grabbed a late equaliser through Bamber. A Blackpool fan tried to kick me in the groin on the way into the match but was off-target, like most of his team.

2014 FAV2 1500 Follands Sports 2 AFC St.Austell 3 120 aet
Wessex Prem v SW Peninsula, who had won 13 in a row and it showed in the first 25 mins as they were first to everything, hit the post, and took the lead through Eddy. Out of the blue the home team equalised through Barron with their first shot on goal, then Jarvis was fouled by last man Dingle, who received a red to bring the visitors down to 10 men. This was hotly disputed, not least because they thought the wrong man was sent off. The free-kick was cleared, but from the ensuing corner Burt made it 2-1 to Follands, and the visitors felt further aggrieved. The second half was quieter, but St.Austell consolidated and equalised with five mins to go through Slateford. Extra time was quite exciting, with chances at both ends, an entertaining bout of handbags, and a last minute winner for Eddy.

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Wow Leo, I thought you'd pick one of mine. Possibly one of the biggest news events ever.
JFK.
But then you weren't working in the USA were you.
Double to follow later.

Ricardo

Youth Team Regular
2003 AFC Wimbledon 3 Wootton Blue Cross 0 crowd 2,307
FA Vase 2nd round Proper, Kingsmeadow

We had won every league game that season as the Combined Counties league became too easy for us, didn’t help when we came up against the better sides from harder leagues and this game was closer than the scoreline suggests as they proved a tough nut to crack. Our main concern after we worked out where they were from and found to be disturbingly close to MK was that we would have to go up there for a replay, given that they had reached the 4th round the year before and only narrowly lost to Whitley Bay that was a concern, but we led 1-0 at half time from a goal from top scorer Kevin Cooper after 28 minutes. Two minutes after the break Gavin Bolger made it 2-0 to give us some breathing space but the United Counties side made it tough and the game was only up on 83 minutes when defender Matt Everard grabbed a third, earning a tricky away draw in the next round at BAT Sports.

2011 Scunthorpe 0 AFC Wimbledon 1 crowd 2,036
FA Cup 1st round replay, Glanford Park, Scunthorpe

I am not a fan of the non regionalisation of the first two rounds of the Cup and the small attendance at this replay with only a couple of hundred away fans making the long journey midweek seemed to prove my point. Between 8th October when we were third and 14th January that season we didn’t win a single game apart from this one so it was a welcome relief to remember how to win. The first game had been an attritional goalless draw at Kingsmeadow which given that they were in a higher league wasn’t the worst result but we expected to lose this replay and managed to hold on until the 66th minute when Luke Moore cracked home the only goal, the victory earning the dubious prize of a trip to Bradford City, hardly the glamour of the FA Cup.

Last edited:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Wow Leo, I thought you'd pick one of mine. Possibly one of the biggest news events ever.
JFK.
But then you weren't working in the USA were you.
Double to follow later.
I was 5. I don't know what I did on November 22, (but it was a school day). I do know one programme I watched on TV on the 23rd. More of that tomorrow

barnetbee

Junior Team Star
1990 - Barnet Reserves 2 Wokingham Reserves 0 (Capital league)
1992 - Barnet 2 Cardiff City 1 (Barclays league Division 3) old Division 4
1994 - Woking 1 Barnet 0 (FA Cup 1st round replay)
1997 - Derby County 3 Coventry City 1 (Premiership)
2003 - Barnet 5 Forest Green Rovers 0 (Nationwide conference)
2005 - Barnet 0 MK Dons 3 (LDV Vans trophy 2nd round)
2008 - Barnet 1 Macclesfield Town 3 (Coca Cola league 2)
2014 - Woking 1 Barnet 1 (Vanarama conference)
2016 - Boreham Wood 1 Sutton United 0 (Vanarama National league)

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I was 5. I don't know what I did on November 22, (but it was a school day).
You'd be getting ready for bed when it happened {I think} and a weekend off school.
I'll look later to see where I went on the Saturday as l was 11 and had a season ticket bought for passing 11+.
Not backed up records that far yet. Ledger begins in 64/65 season but know I went the Alex, first team and reserves from about 6 or 7 years old.
Won't count of course as it would be guesswork.

EDIT. Would be going bed and dreaming of Crewe v Barnsley in the morning.
Autographs of my favourites and the Barnsley players.
Remember needing some signing of Tony Leighton.

Last edited:

aiwa

Junior Team Sub
1980 Sutton Coldfield Town 0-2 Doncaster Rovers (FAC 1, att 2,250). Still the biggest day in Sutton's 141-year history. Doncaster were managed by Billy Bremner and won promotion from Div Four that season, while Sutton were still in the West Midlands League. A new section of terracing had been built for the game, and the earth banked up on two sides of the ground to allow in an all-ticket crowd including 400 from Doncaster for what might be the biggest crowd in the history of the ground (a charity match in 1939 had a similar attendance). The ticket says KO 3pm but the game started at 2.15 as Donny had objected to playing under Sutton's lights in the second-half; it was a dull day and the lights were on for the whole game anyway. Sutton had an indirect free-kick in the Rovers' box in the first two mins but blew the chance and once Rovers got in front in the second-half they managed to hold off the challenge from three tiers below. Tony Francis covered the game for ITV News, footage must be in their archive somewhere.
Sutton001.jpg

1997 Aston Villa 2-1 Everton (Prem, att 36,389) No memories.

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Wednesday @ 13-00.
Montenegro Cup Q F 2nd leg.
Mladost (Podgorica) 3 v 0 Mornar.
(Agg 5-0)
@ Stadium FK Mladost , Podgorica. (See below at google map)
-fc0186b86ff1f4942a20b0d3b3869296.jpg--untitled.png

The Fudbalski Savez Crne Gore (AKA Football Association of Montenegro ) Camp at Stari Aerodrom. 6 x pitches (when pic taken , now ?) , Top 2 FA , middle 2 Buducnost and bottom 2 Mladost / Titograd. Other teams also use.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/42°25'36.9"N+19°16'53.9"E/@42.4278037,19.2832313,543m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!4b1!8m2!3d42.4269213!4d19.2816389?hl=de
Mladost moved off their old ground 'Cvijetin Brijeg' in 2008 when it was demolished and they moved into FSCG with their own complex.

Mladost - Sasa Ivanovic , Nikolo Vukcevic , Stefan Cicmil , Ivan Novovic (1) , Vuk Martinovic , Marko Cetkovic (1) , Nedjelijko Vlahovic , Stefan Bukorac , Marko Burzanovic (1) , Milan Durisic , Ivan Knezevic.
Subs - Marko Roganovic for Vukcevic , Marko Milickovic for Cetkovic , Ognjen Stijepovic for Vlahovic.
Manager -Veselin Stesevic.

Mornar - Nikala Delibasic , Nemanja Kosovic , Luka Malesevic , Baco Nikolic , Filip Kalacevic , Ivan Ivanovic , Denis Dzanovic , Luka Merdovic , Danilo Lekovic , Jovan Pajovic , Nino Vukmarkovic.
Subs - Lazar Lalosevic for Dzanovic , Almin Balic for Ivanovic , Belmin Mehovic for Lekovic.
Manager - Rade Vesovic.

Referee - Drazen Petric.

35 miles.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
55 min journey.
+

Wednesday @ 16-00.
Montenegro Cup Q F 2nd leg.
Sutjeska 0 v 1 Buducnost.
(Agg 0-3).
@ Stadium Kraj Bistrice , Niksic.
Niksic-Sutjeska-10.jpgsutjeska-logo-png-transparent.png

Sutjeska - Vlader Gilijan , Milos Bakrac , Nemanja Nedic , Stefan Stefanovic , Milos Vukic , Stefan Loncar , Marko Vukic , Bozan Bozovic , Bozo Markovic , Igor Ivanovic , Stefan Denkovic.
Subs - Luka Merdovic for Bozovic , Nikola Stijepovic for Markovic , Igor Pocek for Denkovic.
Manager - Nikola Rakojevic.

Buducnost - Milan Mijatovic , Janko Simovic , Luka Mirkovic , Mamcilo Raspopovich , Filip Mitrovic , Ilija Tucevic , Blazo Igumanovic , Miljan Vlaisavijevic , Milivoje Raicevic , Darko Nikac (1) , Balsa Sekulic.
Subs - Marko Vukcevic for Vlaisavijevic , Danilo Markovic for Raicevic , Alen Melunovic for Nikac.
Manager - Dragan Kazic.

Referee - Mileta Stepanovic.

Well it was back on the road after having a non football Tuesday , nice few drinks and a lazy day.
Started off from our hotel in Albania for the 90 mile drive to Podgorica and the delights of the Montenegro F A Cup Quarter Finals 2nd legs. They were staggered for TV purposes and it's an easy drive between the 2.

First up is the Mladost v Mornar game , unfortunately Mladost had won the first leg in Mornar 2-0 so todays game should be straightforward and it was.
Mornar tier 2 champions elect were not up to the job and were easily beaten 3-0 and 5-0 on Agg.
Later at the end of the season (June) Mladost reverted back to their old name OFK Titograd , the old name for Podgorica and named after Marshal Josip Broz Tito.
Unfortunately a lot of online sites refer to them as OFK Titograd for the season :mad: .

After the game it was a semi fast drive to the second Q Final of the day and this time it was the top 2 teams in the country against each other. Sutjeska v Buducnost.
We arrived 20 minutes before kick off to find a much bigger attendance / atmosphere , parking was still easy and entry was being ushered in when uttering those magic words 'Press' with documentation of course.
Sutjeska were to win the championship by 22 points from Buducnost but it was Budocnost progressing to the Semi Finals of the cup with a 1-0 win to follow their 2-0 win at home in the first leg.
One goal on the night by Darko Nikac after 25 mins was enough . It was a fairly subdued affair.

As it turned out Buducnost were drawn against the winners of the first game Mladost in the Semi Finals.
With the second semi final being an all second tier affair between Grbalj and Igalo it was felt the winners of the first should win the cup.
OSK Igalo won through to the Final and in the first leg of the other semi Budocnost won 2-1 at Mladost but then lost at home in the second leg 2-1 so it went to penalties which Mladost won.

The Final was an easy win for Mladost 2-0 at the Podgorica City Stadium on May 30 , 2018..

26 x games , 1 x 0-0 , 1 x double
images477H8NIO.png
9 x foreign.

Now blogging at --- https://eccentricity.video.blog/ ---Do not open if a snowflake. (You've been warned , so don't blame me). 🚫

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities).
1969 Stoke 3 v 3 Ipswich.
1979 England 2 v 0 Bulgaria.
1996 Zeytinburnuspor 2 v 5 Galatasaray.

*futbology app advises me of nothing I don't already know.

-----
--------1963--JFK Assassinated---------------------------1986.Youngest Heavy Weight Champ-
-images4A1XRB0F.jpg -4c37d6d0-f3dc-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_image_hires_190248.jpg

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 Stones Bitter Championship Division One Halifax v Warrington Lost 21-20
1994 FA Cup First Round Mansfield Town v Northwich Victoria Lost 3-1
This was played midweek so I can only guess it was postponed from the Saturday. We were on the open terrace behind the goal. It is my only ever visit to Field Mill.
1997 Welsh Cup Third Round Holyhead Hotspur v Cwmbran Town 2-5
On the same pitch where I had seen Holywell Town play. It is still there but they moved next door some years ago now. A decent programme was issued and there was a good crowd in attendance.
2003 FA Vase Second Round Northallerton Town v Warrington Town 1-1 (aet 90 mins 1-1) Our first of just two meetings with Northallerton (the other was the replay).
2005 Guardian Cup Second Round (@ Warrington Town FC) Burtonwood Albion v Warrington Town Reserves Won 0-1
This was eventually switched to Town and played under lights after a couple of postponements. I issued a programme on behalf of Burtonwood Albion, which is possibly their only ever issue. I got there a couple of seasons ago, but I think they have since folded.
2008 Derbyshire Divisional Cup (North) Second Round Whaley Bridge Athletic v Cromford T140 2-0
The other WBA were a Hope Valley League team back then. Cromford were Mids Reg. Alliance. It was just a roped pitch. I did get a prog.
Then called in at
FA Carlsberg Trophy Third Qualifying Round Warrington Town v Nantwich Town T141 Lost 0-1
2011 Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division Northwich Victoria v Chorley Lost 1-3
2014 J T Hughes Montgomeryshire League Cup Second Round Llangedwyn v Berriew Reserves 1-0
An enclosed ground and a decent game. I had an old prog.
2016 Hallmark Security North West Counties League Division One Sandbach United v Alsager Town 3-3

mxhornet

Reserve Team Sub
Football

1994 Stanway Rovers - 2 Halstead Town - 8 Eastern Floodlit Competition

1995 Norwich City Reserves - 1 Oxford United Reserves - 0 (2,008) Avon Insurance Combination

1997 Coach & Horses - 3 North End United - 5 Norfolk Junior Cup Fourth Round @ Wentworth Green (the old Civil Service Ground in Norwich, which has now been built on)

2014 Catfield - 3 Wells Town - 3 AET (Catfield won 4-3 on penalty kicks) Norfolk Junior Cup Fourth Round

2017 Beccles Town Ladies - 2 Tavern Ladies - 3 AET Norfolk Women's League Cup First Round

Rugby League

2003 (1430) Siddal - 30 Thornhill Trojans - 2 Arriva Trains Conference Premier Division
(1800) Great Britain - 12 Australia - 18 (24,163) Think! Road Safety Third Test @ Alfred McAlpine Stadium (Huddersfield Giants)

Running

1986 Norfolk & Suffolk Cross Country League - Ipswich 28-34 2nd

1987 Norfolk & Suffolk Cross Country League - Lowestoft (no record of time or placing)

1992 Norwich Sports Village 10km 33-47 13th

2009 Tri-Anglia 10km series (race two) - Whitlingham Country Park 45-29 14th

2014 Mulbarton parkrun (89) 23-46 20th

2015 City of Norwich Half Marathon - Royal Norfolk Showground 1-52-10 843rd

Football Shorts

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
neutral
2014 - ATHERTON COLLIERIES 1-2 SEAHAM RED STAR - fav 2r - att 230
2017 - CHEADLE TOWN 2-1 ALSAGER TOWN - nwcfl lcc 2r - att 55

2 games - 6 goals - 2 reds - 2 pens, both scored

*in 1975 i was at manchester city 2-1 tottenham hotspur, reminded by futbology app. seems to be a 2-1 kind of day for me

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1983 Rainham Town 3 Eastbourne United 2 (Isthmian Div 2)
1986 Basildon United 4 Finchley 2 (Isthmian Div 1)
1992 Barnet 2 Cardiff City 1 Att 4,181 (Div 3)
1993 Chelsea 0 Manchester City 0 Att 10,128 (Premier League)
2009 Tottenham Hotspur 9 Wigan Athletic 1 Att 35,650 (Premier League)
2014 Woking 1 Barnet 1 Att 2,617 (Vanarama Conference)
2015 Tottenham Hotspur 4 West Ham United 1 Att 35,968 (Premier League)
2019 Meridan VP 4 Lewisham Borough 2 Att 42 (London Senior Trophy 2nd Round)

Kirby Knitters

First Team Starter
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Gambrinus Liga.
Slavia Prague 2 FK Teplice 0.
Att. 8,011.

Rolleston Charity Cup.
Hinckley United 9 Barrow Town 1.
Att. 101.

FAT.
Hinckley United 1 Burscough 2.
Att. 251.

FAC (replay)
Tamworth 1 Hinckley United 0.
Att. 1,583.

MFL Premier.
Basford United 7 Kirby Muxloe 0.
Att. 62.

Ellisref

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Amazing where these conversations go. I was 8, I wasn't yesterday, I do recall JFK.

Full list of games in honour of the day.

1973 - A schools match at Gravel Hill (Poole GS).
1975 - Leicester University III v Desford United (Hinckley Harborough 1) in goal in a 2-3 defeat in the countryside.
1977 - Secretaries v Anchorage Academicals (Somerset House Cup Round 3) - referee, at Windmill Road, Surbiton. The home side came from our complex at Hinchley Wood (now built on) the away side came from Anchorage House, Chatham.
1980 - Latymer Upper School v Ealing Green School (U19) - referee at Wood Lane (as featured loosely in the Football in Willesden thread) followed by:
Old Finchleians v Old Parmiterians (SOL Senior 1) - referee, at Southover.
1988 - HASSRA London North v Agricola (Lewis Cup Round 2) - referee, at CS Chiswick.
1998 - Ashley Cross v Sirocco (Bournemouth Sunday 4) - referee, at Branksome Rec.
2003 - Portland United v Cowes Sports (Wessex) - observer, att. 71.
2006 - Royal Navy FA v Royal Air Force FA (South & West Counties Championship) - referee, at Victory Stadium, Portsmouth. I was expecting development sides, but it turned out it was the full representative teams. Nearly late for the game as the three of us (all from Dorset FA) got stuck on the approach to the M27 due to a RTA.
2008 - Redhill Rangers v Westover Bournemouth (Pickford Cup Round 4) - referee, at Canford Park (now AFCB's training complex).
2011 - Bournemouth School v Winton Arts & Media College (Dorset Schools U12 Cup Round 2) - referee, at Sir David English SC (aka the school playing fields) with extra time and penalties.
2014 - Portcastrian v Bournemouth Manor (Bournemouth Premier) - referee, at Chapel Gate.
2015 - BriT Sports v Bournemouth Electric Res (InExcess Cup Round 2) - referee, at Whitecliff.
2017 - Bournemouth School v Barton Peverill College II (Hampshire Colleges Championship) - referee, at Sir David English SC. Smaller divisions and promotion/relegation had been introduced last season to avoid mis-matches between the larger colleges and smaller colleges/schools. At the top level it was a very good standard, with young players from Wessex/Southern League squads involved.

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Today League Division 3
Darlington 1-0 Wigan Athletic
Att: 1,612

The previous Monday's draw for the FA Cup 2nd Round had paired the two sides together, so this was the first of two fixtures between the sides in a fortninght. Interestingly, the two reserve sides would also meet in the Central League in between.

Quakers, hit by injuries and suspensions had taken keeper Kevin Carr on loan from Carlisle United and striker John Moore from Sunderland. Darlington went into the game second from bottom, while Wigan were comfortably mid-table. John Moore, on his debut, scored the only goal of the game in front of a paltry 1,612 supporters.

The Latics would get their revenge a fortnight later. With Mike Astbury injured and Carlisle refusing permission for Kevin Carr to play in the cup, teenage keeper Wayne Baker was brought in from Whitby Town, and suffered a 0-5 hammering in his first outing.

Darlington would be relegated at the end of the season, while Wigan finished 4th, losing to Swindon Town in the play-offs

Coca-Cola Championship
Crewe Alexandra 3-0 Sunderland
Att: 9,807

Least said about this one the better. Sunderland were on a decent run, sitting 4th and had lost only once in their last 11. Crewe were hovering around the relegation zone.

Sunderland dominated the first half but just couldn't score. The second half was a different story though - Crewe scored three in the space of 10 minutes early in the half. Dean Ashton headed in Vaughan's cross on 53 minutes, then Jones added a brace on 60 and 63.

Midland League Division One
Racing Club Warwick 1-0 Leicester Road
Att: 50

While I'd maintained an interest in non-league football since my teens, it was very much a passing interest until I found myself single again in 2014. I began watching the odd game on warm sunny evenings in September or April, but it wasn't until 2016-17 that I began going every week. The death of my good friend and former colleague who posted on here as Dabbers Fan spurred me on to want to see more games and more pubs in more towns. It's just a shame we didn't get to do more of them together.

On a misty evening, this was a hard-fought game with the only goal coming midway through the second half from Jake Brown

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
16 games today, nine new grounds,

Starting with my first visit to London Road to see Maidstone United
1975 - Maidstone United 3-1 Hillingdon Borough. Southern League
1977 - Wealdstone 2-2 Hillingdon Borough. Southern League Cup.

1980 - Liverpool 2-1 Aston Villa (48,114). League. The joys of getting a wage, I could take the train to Liverpool, with my friend Dave, and we could stand on the kop and watch the game. Still my only visit to Anfield. Liverpool were defending Champions and would go on to win the European Cup, Villa were at the top of the table and would end the season as Champions. No goals for over an hour, Dalglish put Liverpool ahead, Allan Evans equalised and Dalglish scored the winner with two minutes to play. We were there to experience the atmosphere on the kop, and this was the perfect way to do it.

1983 - Bedworth United 0-0 Gloucester City (200) Southern League. Going after work, I had arranged to travel with Gloucester fans, at least on the return journey.
1986 - Consett 1-2 Leek Town (120) FA Trophy (£1+20p). Leek were one up at half time, and added to this at the start of the second period.

1988 - Dartford 4-0 Crawley Town (crowd not known) Southern League Cup, Second Round, Second Leg. Aggregate 6-2. (Comp+45p). Andy Hessenthaler, more recently known for three spells as Gillingham manager scored the third goal. Player-manager was Peter Taylor, who would later be England's caretaker manager for one game, (a 1-0 loss to Italy)
1989 - Exeter City 4-1 Dartford (4900) FA Cup, First Round replay (comp+60p). As the non-league yearbook photographer, I spent the time pitchside at the goal Dartford were attacking as the goals went in at the other end. I travelled to Exeter on a Dartford supporters' coach. Some of the kids at the Exeter end were throwing things, I could not quite understand why, especially when I managed to catch an unopened tube of mint Polo - which I kept for the return journey.

FA Cup replays carry on for the nex two entries. One interesting, one easy for the league side
1994 - Fulham 5-3 Ashford Town (6300). FA Cup, First Round Replay (£7+£1.30) At first, this looked plain sailing and Fulham were 2-0 up in 20 minutes. Ashford pulled one back before the break, and equalised nine minutes into the second half. Still, when Micky Adams scored his second of the night, just about two minutes to play to restore Fulham's lead, that should have been that. But no, Mark Stanton scored his second to take the match to extra time. In extra time, Mark Blake and Alan Cork scored for Fulham to take them through. I met the Ashford keeper, Maurice Munden at the end of the season, by which time he was playing for Sing Tao in the Hong Kong League
1995 - Farnborough Town 0-4 Brentford (3851). FA Cup, First Round replay (comp+£1)

1997 - Selangor 1-2 Negeri Sembilan (10,000) Malaysia Cup group game (RM15, no prog). Having seen Selangor virtually clinch the top position in the group with the win at KL on the Tuesday, they took their eyes off the prize with this one, allowing NS to take a two goal lead before trying to respond. It did not matter though as Brunei suprisingly lost at home to Kedah on the same night, and hence despite Brunei beating Selangor the following Tuesday, Selangor did confirm their status as group winners in this one

2006 - Ludlow Town 0-2 Bustleholme (40). West Midlands (£3+£1). This was the new Ludlow ground, where the stands and clubhouse sit between two pitches one grass and one artificial. A good arrangement as they could hire out the second pitch and benefit when the players came into the bar. It does not seem to have helped the finances of Ludlow clubs through the years since then though.

Having done my three FA Cup replays, now comes the three Coupe de France games. Naturally these are first games, as the Coupe does not have replays.
2008 - St. Louis Neuweg 0-1 AS Jeanne D'Arc le Port (700). Coupe de France, Round 7. (€6, no prog). The Stade de la Frontiere is around 200 yards from the Swiss border, (and about a mile from the German border). As with the game the night before, the away side was an outre mer team, this time Jean d'Arc from Reunion. Having won this, the Reunion side were at home to Feignies in the next round (won 3-2) and hence reached the round of 32 (last 64) Jean d'Arc were the second club from the Outre Mer to win two games in a season. Both were from Reunion, as were the next two. Two seasons ago, a Martinique side also managed this, while last season, Saint Pierre of Reunion reached the last 32, winning three matches. To date, there have been 379 matches between French mainland sides and outre mer oppenents. The Outre Mer sides have won through on 58 occasions, 39 straight wins and 19 penalty shoot outs. They have also lost 13 penalty shoot outs. Reunion is the most succesful territory in these.
As at the game the night before, I met with Stefan, the hitchhiker. He had slept rough overnight, (with temperatures below zero throughout) and made his own way to St Louis. He declined my offer of a lift. Afterwards, he was crossing the border and making the short trip to Rankhof to see Concordia Basel. I think it was possible to walk this in the time. I stayed in France and headed to my second cup game of the day
US Raon l'Etape 1-0 SRD St. Die (500) (€8, no programme). The start of the second half was delayed, the home staff had swept the snow off the pitch only at the end they were to attack, and the referee demanded equality at both ends.

2009 - AFC Compiegne 0-1 Arras (aet) (481) Coupe de France (€7, prog free). This is known as the place where the Armistice was signed to end the first World War, (although I did not know before arriving). I did not give myself enough time to go out to the memorials for this, which are outside the town, but I did have time to visit the very pleasant centre. With a Christmas market open on the Sunday, it was not as dead as many French towns can be on a Sunday. Arras won the game with a goal three minutes from the end of extra time
comiegne - stade paul cosnys.jpg

2011 - Clitheroe 0-4 Curzon Ashton (222). Northern Premier (£7+£1.50).
2014 - Cheltenham Town 1-4 Wycombe Wanderers (2886)

prorege

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1989, Wednesday

Scottish League Premier Division
Aberdeen v Rangers, 1-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 21822
At Pittodrie Stadium

Pittodrie on a Wednesday night would usually have been a bit too far for me but on this occasion I was invited as a guest. That was too good an opportunity to pass up so I drove up the A90 for a crucial game, the winners of which would go top of the league.

Dons: Theo Snelders, Stewart McKimmie, Davie Robertson, Brian Grant, Alex McLeish, Brian Irvine, Charlie Nicholas, Jim Bett, Paul Mason, Robert Connor, Hans Gillhaus. Subs Craig Robertson and Willem Van Der Ark
Rangers: Chris Woods, Gary Stevens, Stuart Munro, John Brown, Ray Wilkins, Terry Butcher, Trevor Steven, Ian Ferguson, Ally McCoist, Mo Johnston, Mark Walters. Subs Davie Dodds and Scott Nisbet
Ref: DFT Syme (Rutherglen)

Aberdeen fans were relishing the arrival of Dutch striker Hans Gillhaus. Costing £650,000 from PSV Eindhoven, he had scored twice on his debut at the weekend against Dunfermline Athletic. His energy, pace and incision would cause Rangers problems in this game. There was a strong Dutch connection at Pittodrie in those days – goalie Theo Snelders was another superb capture from the Netherlands, Englishman Paul Mason had been signed from Groningen and the towering figure of Willem Van Der Ark came off the bench late in the game.

Rangers featured the Souness All-Stars, some of whom did better than others in Scottish football. Gary Stevens was a solid full back. Ray Wilkins was good on the ball but miles off the pace of the game. Terry Butcher was one of those players who seemed to play at the level of his opponents – brilliant in big games but vulnerable against lesser opposition. Trevor Steven was inconsistent – I always thought he lacked some self-confidence. Mark Walters had individual skill but really wasn’t a team player.

Rangers run of 5 wins came a halt as they came up against a well-organised and stubborn Dons team. Trevor Steven was the best of their big names on the night. Many games between these two at that time had descended into open warfare but this was more of a football match. Rangers were unlucky not to get something from the game but their front of goal profligacy cost them the points.

Aberdeen took a first half lead through the mercurial Gillhaus. He ran on to a good pass from Nicholas, switched the ball to his left foot and hit a great shot past the helpless Woods in the Rangers goal. Pittodrie erupted, apart from the couple of thousand visitors.

The closest Rangers came to a goal was an Ian Ferguson effort that came back off the post. The same player was guilty of a bad miss when he blazed over from close range with only the keeper to beat.

I was in a prime seat in the main stand and with a car park pass it was plain sailing to get in and out. A top night out.

Dons v Rangers 89 prog.jpgNov 22.jpg

norwich6

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 22nd November 1980
Like Leo I was also at the Liverpool 2 Aston Villa 1 game which I attended with
my late father in law and we too were stood on the Kop.
It was also my first visit to Anfield but I have been back since.
Programme was 30p and I think the admission charge was £1.50.

Saturday 22nd November 2003
FA Youth Premiership under 19 kick off 1100
West Ham v Crystal Palace at Chadwell Heath Training Ground
Score 2-0 half time 1-0 Attendance around 40
Programme £1 No admission charge
West Ham comfortable winners as the Palace attack created very little.
After wasting several chances West Ham scored after 40 minutes
with a headed goal after a lovely cross from the left. A second half
headed goal this time from close range ended the scoring.

Saturday 22nd November 2003
Cherry Red Records Trophy kick off scheduled 1330 actual 1440
Manford Way v Spelthorne Sports at LPR Sports Hainault
Score 2-1 half time 1-0 Attendance around 20
Free admission and free programme
Earlier in the day England had won the Rugby Union World Cup thanks
in part to Johnny Wilkinson's tremendous kicking. Apparently the
Spelthorne players had been watching that so departed late for this
game. Because of that this cup tie almost didn't start and the match ended
in very very gloomy conditions indeed. Manford Way ought to have
been 4 or 5 up by half time but had only one goal to show and that came
courtesy of a wicked deflection. Spelthorne played far better in the
second half and got an equaliser with a diving header which looped
over the Manford Way goalkeeper.
There was no chance of extra time being played but in quickly fading
light Manford Way got an 85th minute winner with a tap in goal though
Spelthorne appealed vehemently for a hand ball in the build up.
I had no idea if there was a handball or not it was too dark to see !

Last edited by a moderator:

Dribble!

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
1986 - Ipswich Town 1 Barnsley 0 - Division 2
1997 - VFB Stuttgart 3 Karlsruher SC 0 - Bundesliga- Sunday drive down from our Army base in Paderborn
2001- Ipswich Town 1 Inter Milan 0 - UEFA Cup - great night, great atmosphere and top headed goal
2014 - Dereham Town 1 Chatham Town 1 - Isthmian League , Div 1 North
2016 - Felixstowe and Walton Utd 2 Lowestoft Town 3 - Suffolk Premier Cup - Spanner not happy!
2017 - Ipswich Town 2 Sheffield Wednesday 2 - Championship

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks