November 21

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Starter

Surrey Senior Cup Round 1

Chertsey Town 1 Spelthorne Sports 2

Attendance - h/c 40.

CT scored on 66 (pen). SS scored on 24 and 84.

BDA_85

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
AFC Dunstable
DateVenueHomeAwayResultCompetition
21 November 1995Vicarage RoadWatfordLuton Town1-1Division 1
21 November 1998Vicarage RoadWatfordCrewe Alexandra4-2Division 1
21 November 2017stadium:mkMilton Keynes DonsSouthend United1-1League 1

FinchleyFlyer65

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1981 Tottenham Hotspur 3 Manchester United 1 Att 35,534 (Div 1)
1987 Finchley 0 Collier Row 0 (Isthmian Div 2)
1989 Wingate 3 Pirton 1 (South Midlands League Challenge Trophy 2nd Round)
1992 Tottenham Hotspur 0 Aston Villa 0 Att 32,852 (Premier League)
1993 Middlesbrough 0 Bolton Wanderers 1 Att 6,828 (Div 1)
1998 Wingate & Finchley 6 Flackwell Heath 2 Att 130 (Isthmian Div 3)
2000 Wingate & Finchley 1 Bracknell Town 1 Att 160 (Isthmian Div 3)
2009 Barnet 0 Port Vale 0 Att 1,939 (Div 2)
2011 Tottenham Hotspur 2 Aston Villa 0 Att 35,818 (Premier League)
2015 London Lions 4 Standon & Puckeridge 1 Att 17 (South Midlands Anagram Records Trophy 2nd Round)
2017 Enfield Town 1 Wingate & Finchley 1 Att 292 (Isthmian Premier Div)
2018 Hadley 2 Cockfosters 0 Att 86 (South Midlands Prem Div)

Steveb

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1982 - Sharpness 2-1 Road Sea Southampton (60) Sutton Transformer Vase (30p, prog included). My first trip to the Port. I suspect it was Arthur who drove the car load up from Hampshire, in which case I can be fairly sure that Gary was also on the trip. Road Sea, in their first Southern League season fielded a strong side in this match and would not have expected to lose to a Hellenic League side. It seems to me that the Sutton Transformer Vase was a competition for the benefit of groundhoppers. The teams were from Saturday football, but all games were on Sundays. The rules prevented two teams from the same country from meeting, (unless the numbers made that impossible). It always had a random mix of teams from Cornwall to Hampshire.
The competition was open to Saturday and Sunday sides. I visited Sunday league team Clump Inn for a home tie against Portishead, and I saw Road Sea v North Stoneham, who were a Sunday side.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Sub
1976 (Sunday)

Drogheda United 3 Shelbourne 0
League of Ireland
@ Lourdes Stadium

Pretty sure, like Hoddy some years later, I was with Ratty & Pheasant on this date ... certainly I was not alone as I distinctly remember the lottery seller outside the ground wanting a group of us to buy tickets for a draw in which the first prize was a huge sack of potatoes. Even between us we would never have carried that back via the Holyhead ferry :unsure: .
lourdes.jpg

Drogheda left Lourdes in 1979 and the ground fell into decay. It was renovated and re-opened as an athletics track in 2012.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Also on this date I have been to two FA Cup 1st Round ties won by the League team at the second attempt:
1984 VS Rugby 0 Northampton Town 1
1989 Hayes 0 Peterborough United 1

Last edited:

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
As far as I can make out, only three games on this date, all involving Sunderland

2004 - Coca Cola Championship - Sunderland 2-0 Ipswich Town - Att: 31,723. Scorers: Elliott (60), Brown (75)
2009 - Barclays Premier League - Sunderland 1-0 Arsenal - Att: 44,918. Scorer: Bent (71)
2017 - SkyBet Championship - Aston Villa 2-1 Sunderland - Att: 27,662. Scorers Adomah (10), Onomah (49) / Grabban (72)

stingray

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
Saturday 21 November 2009 - Leighton Town 4-4 Soham Town Rangers (Southern League Midlands)
Saturday 21 November 2015 - Leighton Town 1-2 Royston Town (Southern League Central)
Tuesday 21 November 2017 - Leverstock Green 4-2 Hadley (South Midlands Premier)

Mr. T

Youth Team Regular
Banbury played two matches on Tuesday 21st November 1972, one in the Camkin Cup* and the other in the Premier Midweek Floodlit League. The PMFL game was at Marlow, L 1-2, scorer Duester, a first team regular. I saw the Camkin Cup match which was at home against Oxford City, W 4-1, Foster 3 (1p) and Matthews. The attendance was about 300.

* https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/camkin-cup.3178/

Monday 21st November 1994
Banbury 2-9 Aston Villa, Birmingham Senior Cup
Villa names from the report: Riccardo Scimeca, Michael Oakes, Bryan Small, Dave Farrell, Chris Boden, Steve Cowe, Trevor Berry, (?) Mooney.
The attendance was 1,871, the biggest since Nov 73 and not exceeded since.

Last edited:

The Willows

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Wednesday 21st November 2007

England 2 Croatia 3 (88,091)

Like most Three lions Supporters I was looking forward to spending my 2008 summer holidays in Austria and Switzerland, we only needed a draw in this final home qualifier against Croatia. Disaster, we were two down at half time from some woeful defending and faced an uphill struggle in the second period. Enter David Beckham and our fortunes changed, levelling the score through Lampard and Crouch before Mladen Petric delivered the killer blow. In all fairness the Chequered Ones (Kockasti) were the better team and on a rain sodden evening it proved to be the final game in charge for 'the Wally with the Brolly'.
Steve-McClaren-wally-with-the-brolly-006.jpg

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
1976 (Sunday)

Drogheda United 3 Shelbourne 0
@ Lourdes Stadium

Pretty sure, like Hoddy some years later, I was with Ratty & Pheasant on this date.
+++++
Not the John of Pheasant I refer to M'Lord.
The John I refer to was a programme seller for Ratty (speedway). Big lad, great chap, he came about a dozen trips with us, mainly to warmer climes.​

huttonpark

Junior Team Regular
Saturday 21 November 1970
Isthmian League
Ilford 1 Tooting & Mitcham 0
Programme 6d

I can remember very little about this mid table clash.

NeilH

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Cambridge City
1987 Cambridge City 2 Stevenage Borough 1
FA Trophy 3rd qualifying round

Comfortable win for City in front of the biggest crowd of the season at that point, 454 in Milton Road. Gary Grogan and Tom Finney scored for City, Boro getting one back late on

1992 Cambridge City 0 Worcester City 0
Southern League Premier Division

A wet, windy and cold day at Milton Road, with 263 braves souls watching which was about average that season. My 2nd and last 0-0 of the season.

1999 Cambridge Cosmos 2 Shelford Rangers 2
Cambridge & District Sunday League Premier Division

The 1999-00 season was last as a regular Sunday League player. I planned to see my days out in the reserves down in Div 4B but injuries gave me a return to the first XI in a very competitive Premier Division. Not a good day for me, a recurrence of a groin injury saw me subbed after 20 minutes. Played on one of the wonderful pitches at Clare College, Bentley Road, Cambridge.

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 HFS Loans League Division One Warrington Town v Workington Won 2-1
1993 Stones Bitter Championship Division One Warrington v Castleford Won 20-10
1994 FA Cup First Round Replay (@ Witton Albion) Runcorn v Halifax Town 1-2 (aet 90 mins 1-1)
1995 Cheshire Senior Cup Quarter Final Witton Albion v Northwich Victoria Lost 2-0
1998 Holland's Lancashire Amateur Shield Third Round Prestwich Heys v Glaxo 6-0
Same ground as the current club (same club too of course) but it was far less developed back then, basically being an unenclosed railed pitch. They did issue a decent programme. They were Manchester League back then.
2000 North West Counties Floodlit Trophy Second Round Warrington Town v Curzon Ashton Lost 2-4
2001 Northern Counties East League Premier Division Arnold Town v Selby Town 0-2
On the old ground in the park.
2006 UniBond League Challenge Cup Second Round Woodley Sports v Warrington Town Lost 3-0
2009 Windsor Food Service Sheffield County Senior League Premier Division Handsworth v Dinnington Town Reserves 1-1
I can’t remember anything about this club or game now. Does anyone remember where they played? It might trigger the memory cells?
2015 Bluefin Insurance Hellenic League Challenge Cup Second Round Moreton Rangers v Binfield 0-3

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
2009 Windsor Food Service Sheffield County Senior League Premier Division Handsworth v Dinnington Town Reserves 1-1
I can’t remember anything about this club or game now. Does anyone remember where they played? It might trigger the memory cells?
Olivers Mount I think , but it won't bear any resemblance to the set up now for the current Handsworth in the NC East.

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Olivers Mount I think , but it won't bear any resemblance to the set up now for the current Handsworth in the NC East.
Thanks. I think I recall jt now. Just a railed enclosed pitch and set back from ghe car park, possibly on a raised levvel. Can't remember a prog but I may have had an old one. Tended to target such whilst I could. I could dig out the box for that season to check but the motivation is not high currently.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Pompey
Another four...

Saturday 21st November 1981~
FA Cup 1st Round
Portsmouth 1-1 Millwall

...with Pompey's goal coming from Jeff Hemmerman...

Saturday 21st November 1987~
Division Four
Swansea City 2-1 Peterborough United

...with Swans goals from Andy Melville and Colin Pascoe...

Saturday 21st November 1998~
FA Trophy 2nd Round
Margate 1-3 Havant & Waterlooville

...played on a freezing day, with one Havant fan mistakenly leaving his coat on the bus and having to spend the entire match with a top layer of just a thin cotton shirt. On the land next to the ground, a bloke with some kind of grudge against Margate FC lit a large bonfire, with the smoke and freezing air creating a blanket of smog across the pitch - apparently he had previous of doing this...

Saturday 21st November 2009~
Scottish Div.2
Stenhousemuir 1-1 Brechin City

...an afternoon of which I have very fond memories, having the previous day successfully completed a job interview in Glasgow to work for a whisky company, though the job then sucked just about every Saturday afternoon out of my life for the next five-and-a-half years. But I thoroughly enjoyed ticking the Ochilview Park ground among an attendance of 551, watching an entertaining match despite the rain...

1606077674137.png

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks