Nonleague Projections 2020/21

THDrummer1

Junior Team Regular
In a season when there's no guarantee that we'll either start on time or not have interruptions, I would say an 18 club division seems pretty sensible! Certainly no division should be over capacity. Given the huge legal difficulties of promoting any team from a season which has been declared null and void, I can only see Bury AFC and Isle of Man joining steps 3-6, and I expect the current clubs to be at the same level - but possibly with lateral movements at the same level.

If there are substantial foldings and it came to leagues having 12 clubs or less and no sensible lateral movements, I expect the number of leagues to reduce.
I agree with your post but I do wonder what the obsession is with Bury and Isle of Man; why would they be accepted and others not?

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Perhaps because Bury and the Isle of Man will be elected into their leagues, rather than promoted from unfinished competitions?

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
Perhaps because Bury and the Isle of Man will be elected into their leagues, rather than promoted from unfinished competitions?
They are not the only two clubs to have applied from outside the NLS.
Thanet United have and maybe there are others. But they will of course have competed in unfinished leagues this season. But on the other hand they did not apply on the basis of where they finished in that league so the fact that is was not finished should not make a difference to their application.

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
I knows it's all speculative but one thing is for sure - new clubs won't be left without a league to play in next season. On that basis alone I'd expect applications from outside the NLS to still be considered, though perhaps those who've applied for step 6 might ultimately have to settle for step 7 rather than suddenly being allowed to leapfrog applicants from step 7.

THDrummer1

Junior Team Regular
I knows it's all speculative but one thing is for sure - new clubs won't be left without a league to play in next season. On that basis alone I'd expect applications from outside the NLS to still be considered, though perhaps those who've applied for step 6 might ultimately have to settle for step 7 rather than suddenly being allowed to leapfrog applicants from step 7.
I would find it astounding if Isle of Man and Bury were accepted into the NWCFL but a club like South Liverpool weren't when the latter have been in the 'system' for some time. Am I missing something?

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
I would find it astounding if Isle of Man and Bury were accepted into the NWCFL but a club like South Liverpool weren't when the latter have been in the 'system' for some time. Am I missing something?
No, you're agreeing with me! ;)

Wheelbarrow

Junior Team Star
Thanet United have and maybe there are others. But they will of course have competed in unfinished leagues this season. But on the other hand they did not apply on the basis of where they finished in that league so the fact that is was not finished should not make a difference to their application.
And given the free (or at least freer) hand leagues below Step 6 have been given to finalise leagues, those clubs could well end up in leagues that have, arguably (and someone will :LOL:) , been completed.

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
No your not missing anything.
It would be morally wrong but could happen.
In the case of Thanet they would move from a defacto step 8 which they were leading to a step 7.
They could not complain.
Isle of Man and Bury might not be too impressed with step 7 but as always its an FALC decision if any of them get step 6.

oftenscore6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
I agree with your post but I do wonder what the obsession is with Bury and Isle of Man; why would they be accepted and others not?
The other application from outside step 7, Thanet United are currently step 8 (I believe), it would seem unusual to promote them to step 6 ahead of step 7 sides. Bury AFC and Isle of Man are both completely outside the NLS, so have to be placed somewhere, and there will be vacancies across the step. Even though there's some flexibility for step 7 void/ppg, can it be fair to promote some but not others? I doubt it. When this was up to the leagues themselves, they could apply the same rules to their own feeders, but now it's the FA, this has to be national.

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
The other application from outside step 7, Thanet United are currently step 8 (I believe), it would seem unusual to promote them to step 6 ahead of step 7 sides. Bury AFC and Isle of Man are both completely outside the NLS, so have to be placed somewhere, and there will be vacancies across the step. Even though there's some flexibility for step 7 void/ppg, can it be fair to promote some but not others? I doubt it. When this was up to the leagues themselves, they could apply the same rules to their own feeders, but now it's the FA, this has to be national.
Promoting sides from outside the NLS to step 6 is not unusual in this area.
SCEL at step 6 is usually short of clubs so vacancies are usually there.
Thanet did not apply on the basis of where they finished in the league just as a well run club with a fully compliant ground to play on. So the fact that no leagues were completed should not make any difference.
It seems that the two clubs that applied from step 7 Staplehurst and Faversham Strike Force probably will not go up because promotion has been cancelled along with their league.
Dont know if they passed ground grading or not.
I doubt that the Thanet United application has the blessing of the Kent County League but that is also not unusual.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
I see BPA director of football Martin Knight is saying that the club will be taking legal action in the event of being relegated. His argument is that steps 3-6 have been voided so it is an impossibility.

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
I see BPA director of football Martin Knight is saying that the club will be taking legal action in the event of being relegated. His argument is that steps 3-6 have been voided so it is an impossibility.
It's hard to see step 2 relegating anyone, not least because they're not getting anyone from step 3. In fact has any league, anywhere, except the SPFL, relegated any club as a result of a decision to end the season in this crisis? Off the top of my head I can't immediately think of one. And even the SPFL are trying to fudge their way out of relegating anyone by means of a hasty restructuring.

Unicorn

Youth Team Hopeful
It's hard to see step 2 relegating anyone, not least because they're not getting anyone from step 3. In fact has any league, anywhere, except the SPFL, relegated any club as a result of a decision to end the season in this crisis? Off the top of my head I can't immediately think of one. And even the SPFL are trying to fudge their way out of relegating anyone by means of a hasty restructuring.
I see Balham are going to ground share with AFC Croydon.
As Combined Counties have 21 and Southern Counties East have 19 i wonder if the LC will move them over to balance it up.

Born in Chesham

Junior Team Hopeful
It would appear that the EFL have stated today that promotion/relegation is required in ALL of their divisions to maintain their integrity.

That could easily mean that Stevenage will be relegated & Barrow plus one other will be promoted.

The Stevenage non-relegation was what the D2 clubs voted for, but it was always subject to the approval of the ERL & FA.

Perhaps for the Premier to accept three promoted teams, the EFL had to accept teo?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks