New Shropshire Feeder League For 2020/21

andymac

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Market Drayton Tigers,
Stoke City
I don't see why it's pioneering. Just another step 7 league. What The Mercian League were hoping for when they formed about 8 years ago.

andymac

Gray

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Enfield Town
I don't see why it's pioneering. Just another step 7 league. What The Mercian League were hoping for when they formed about 8 years ago.

andymac
Remember the FA have said the equivalent of step7 will in future be run by each county FA. Therefore it could be said that Shropshire are pioneering in being the 1st county FA to have validated by the FA their county league under this new regime.

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
Remember the FA have said the equivalent of step7 will in future be run by each county FA. Therefore it could be said that Shropshire are pioneering in being the 1st county FA to have validated by the FA their county league under this new regime.
Kent County League saying that they are leaving step 7 so instead of being bottom of the pile they are now at top of a different pile.
Anyone any idea what they will be called or will they just be referred to as the County leagues.

Articuno

Ball Boy / Girl
The league are hoping for Ludlow and Church Stretton to join, which would make sense, as it'd be a promotion for them both:

Onlooker From Afar

Junior Team Sub
It's a bit of a misleading article as it says the champions are eligible for Step 6 football - You can rule out Church Stretton and Newport straight away with no lights (and can't ever see the latter getting them at their current ground).

NI_Glens

Junior Team Sub
It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Regarding grounds, a number of Shropshire sides had mentioned new grounds / developments but not sure how close they are to being completed(been a while since lived in area so lost touch!).

Newport have talked for many years about getting a new ground but not sure if a site has been identified/secured.

Shawbury have had ambitions for a long time although I did see they have a site secured recently but needed to raise funds (no easy feat).

Allscott were meant to be getting a brand new stadium at their site as part of the area regeneration but again, don't think that has moved?

I even remember Wrockwardine Wood chairman proudly announcing at a County League AGM about a new 3/4G pitch and facilities on their site as part of the redevelopment of leisure centre area (think this was the 2013 AGM) - did anything ever happen there?

It's a tough slog developing grounds - especially in this climate.

Bakes

Ball Boy / Girl
Re Allscott and Welly Ams - Surely no reason even if West Mids Div1 carried on as per this season in respect of a 'Step 7' FA league, then these teams having applied to NW Counties couldn't actually end up going there in the way that St Martins and FC Oswestry were able to apply and move over a few years ago?
Hi fellas

Both ourselves and Allscott had a March 31st cut off to make necessary ground improvements. Ourselves had go widen pitch, that has been done, build a female changing room, that has been completed today, a pay booth (needs building) which we have wood for and a fence that segregates car park and pitch which is 75% done. Obviously because of Covid a lot has been put on hold, we have made the NWCL aware that if they did have space we would be prepared to move over. Regarding Allscott they have until sept for floodlights i believe which they will complete in time so im told. They also have to build a seated stand and again i expect because of covid their plans have been hit hard. So ball is in NWCL court and obviously FA. Our reserves (last years Development will be in Salop leisure Prem and our development (u21s) will be in Salop leisure div one

oftenscore6

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
As NWC is full, and possibly needing to accommodate Isle of Man and Bury AFC, whilst West Mids 1 is short of teams, if anything, I'd expect teams to move the other way. Could change next summer though with the restructuring.

Onlooker From Afar

Junior Team Sub
Telford Juniors have confirmed they are moving to this league from the West Mids and have renamed themselves as Dawley Town FC. Presumably they will run 2 teams in this new set up

NI_Glens

Junior Team Sub
Telford Juniors have confirmed they are moving to this league from the West Mids and have renamed themselves as Dawley Town FC. Presumably they will run 2 teams in this new set up
Were they always Telford Juniors or did they change their name in the past? I can only recall Telford Juniors but I only really followed the Shropshire scene from early 2000s

Sarumio Whites

Junior Team Sub
OK so according to this the new Shropshire Leisure League have been assured by the FA that they will have Step 7 status / be classified as a feeder to Step 6 (when Step 7 gets officially abolished, imminently)

So...IF that is true...it begs the questions:

1. Why do Wellington Amateurs and Allscott want to continue playing sides in Staffordshire and the West Midlands when they could take on much more local sides in their home county, and likely stand a much better chance of finishing high enough up to gain promotion (the stated ambition at both clubs) or even win the league.

2. How can Wellington Amateurs development side play in the Prem of the new Shopshire Leisure League, when their first team is going to be at the same level in the WMRL Div One.

3. Is the WMRL Division Two now even viable for next season. The above article makes it clear that Ludlow and Church Stretton Town are odds on to join the new setup, whilst Newport Town and Telford Juniors (now Dawley Town) have both independently announced they are switching to the new league. I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd imagine AFC Bridgnorth Development are doing likewise.

That leaves just 5 clubs remaining in that division (AFC Bentley, Walsall Town Swifts, Warstones Wanderers, Coven Athletic and Worcester Raiders Reserves). I Know Cannock United are joining the WMRL (division unknown) but even so, Div Two needs at least another 4 newbies to join to make it viable....

Last edited:

windydcfc

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
OK so according to this the new Shropshire Leisure League have been assured by the FA that they will have Step 7 status / be classified as a feeder to Step 6 (when Step 7 gets officially abolished, imminently)

1. Why do Wellington Amateurs and Allscott want to continue playing sides in Staffordshire and the West Midlands when they could take on much more local sides in their home county, and likely stand a much better chance of finishing high enough up to gain promotion (the stated ambition at both clubs) or even win the league.

2. How can Wellington Amateurs development side play in the Prem of the new Shopshire Leisure League, when their first team is going to be at the same level in the WMRL Div One.

3. Is the WMRL Division Two now even viable for next season. The above article makes it clear that Ludlow and Church Stretton Town are odds on to join the new setup, whilst Newport Town and Telford Juniors (now Dawley Town) have both independently announced they are switching to the new league. I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd imagine AFC Bridgnorth Development are doing likewise.

That leaves just 5 clubs remaining in that division (AFC Bentley, Walsall Town Swifts, Warstones Wanderers, Coven Athletic and Worcester Raiders Reserves). I Know Cannock United are joining the WMRL (division unknown) but even so, Div Two needs at least another 4 newbies to join to make it viable....
I wonder how many teams will be left in the rump WMRL. When the Prem is scrapped next season & x-amount of clubs are promoted from the WMRL1. I'm sure some of the clubs that are left will look at their options throughout this coming season.

Bakes

Ball Boy / Girl
interesting this as this wasn’t what we were lead to believe. As far as I’m aware its a feeder into the pyramid so promotion puts you into step 7. Going straight to step 6 from county level will never happen, loads of clubs grounds are nowhere near ready for step 6, Stretton, Dawley, Prees, Shrewsbury Juniors. I think this article is incorrect

Bakes

Ball Boy / Girl
Ok looks like it is correct, just spoke to Mick Murphy, not quite sure how it works though with first team at step 7, especially as we have a reserves and development who we want in Salop prem and div one

interesting this as this wasn’t what we were lead to believe. As far as I’m aware its a feeder into the pyramid so promotion puts you into step 7. Going straight to step 6 from county level will never happen, loads of clubs grounds are nowhere near ready for step 6, Stretton, Dawley, Prees, Shrewsbury Juniors. I think this article is incorrect

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
Ok looks like it is correct, just spoke to Mick Murphy, not quite sure how it works though with first team at step 7, especially as we have a reserves and development who we want in Salop prem and div one
This would have not been allow under NLS regulations i would not think.
But for 1920/21 season you will not be governed by those regulations so it would be up to the County FAs involved.
I have already seen proposed constitutions of what will be former step 7 leagues which have more than 16 teams. Again i believe not allowed under normal circumstances at the old step 7.
I say old because there will be no more games at that level for 2019/20 and its just the off field stuff of changing controlling authority.
Presumably that will be on 14 July 2020.

Bakes

Ball Boy / Girl
Apparently our chairman asked during the meeting at Bescot and they couldn’t answer him as to what would happen.
Im all for this feeder however county to step 6 is too big a jump IMO, I would say 90% of grounds arent fit for step 6 so all you will get are teams stuck where they are
This would have not been allow under NLS regulations i would not think.
But for 1920/21 season you will not be governed by those regulations so it would be up to the County FAs involved.
I have already seen proposed constitutions of what will be former step 7 leagues which have more than 16 teams. Again i believe not allowed under normal circumstances at the old step 7.
I say old because there will be no more games at that level for 2019/20 and its just the off field stuff of changing controlling authority.
Presumably that will be on 14 July 2020.

windydcfc

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
Apparently our chairman asked during the meeting at Bescot and they couldn’t answer him as to what would happen.
Im all for this feeder however county to step 6 is too big a jump IMO, I would say 90% of grounds arent fit for step 6 so all you will get are teams stuck where they are
I don't see a problem with the former step 7 league's, all being different standards. It far from unique to have a feeder league that's fed zero clubs up to step 6.

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
I don't see a problem with the former step 7 league's, all being different standards. It far from unique to have a feeder league that's fed zero clubs up to step 6.
Totally agree.
I think thats why the LC have farmed step 7 out to the counties.
It is so hard to standardise 47 divisions with such small clubs and different local requirements.
Its not easy at Steps 1-6 but at the old Step 7 it was not in my opinion very practical.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks