• Welcome... you are currently viewing the Forum as a Guest. If you create an account or log in if you aleady have one you will see less adverts and will have the opporunity to remove the adverts altogether for just £1.50 a month by upgrading in your Profile screen... the Ads and Upgrades provide the funds to keep NLM online.... Thanks

Mystery Border League

pitch 63

Reserve Team Regular
The Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard of 22 November 1912 has a report on a Border League Second Division match between 1st Gloucester Regiment second XI and 1st Queen's (Royal West Surreys) second XI. I am baffled as this match does not seem to fit with any league having the name Border in its title at that time, and there are no known leagues in either Wiltshire or Gloucestershire that have used the word Border in their title. Can anyone throw any light on this?

1637317150071.png

BigAl

Junior Team Starter
You've put the wrong date, this report is from the edition dated 22 November 1913 and throughout the 1913-14 season, both these regiments, along with many others, were stationed at Bordon Camp in Hampshire (Army and Navy Gazette 5 July 1913 and 25 April 1914). 'Bordon' was frequently spelt as 'Borden' in the press, including by this newspaper.

Maybe 'Border League' could be a typo for 'Borden League'? I can find reports of at least three other regimental matches being played at Bordon/Borden this season but all are described as friendlies and all took place before this date, so perhaps by the time of this report these matches had been given an informal 'league' status. Infuriatingly, I can find no other references to football at the camp, league or otherwise, for the rest of the season (plenty for rugby though).

If it is a Border League then I guess we are looking at the Hampshire/Sussex border, but again, a rudimentary search of the BNA throws up nothing obvious.

pitch 63

Reserve Team Regular
You've put the wrong date, this report is from the edition dated 22 November 1913 and throughout the 1913-14 season, both these regiments, along with many others, were stationed at Bordon Camp in Hampshire (Army and Navy Gazette 5 July 1913 and 25 April 1914). 'Bordon' was frequently spelt as 'Borden' in the press, including by this newspaper.

Maybe 'Border League' could be a typo for 'Borden League'? I can find reports of at least three other regimental matches being played at Bordon/Borden this season but all are described as friendlies and all took place before this date, so perhaps by the time of this report these matches had been given an informal 'league' status. Infuriatingly, I can find no other references to football at the camp, league or otherwise, for the rest of the season (plenty for rugby though).

If it is a Border League then I guess we are looking at the Hampshire/Sussex border, but again, a rudimentary search of the BNA throws up nothing obvious.
Thanks BigAl

Thyme Machine

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bath City; Road-Sea (Southampton); & East Preston
As far as I can work out 1st Gloucestershire Regiment were garrison at Horfield Barracks, in Bristol, and
1st Queen's (Royal West Surrey) were garrison at Stoughton Barracks, in Guildford, unless a military historian can tell us otherwise. Which just adds to the confusion.

The Gloucestershire Regiment have a museum and archive centre at Gloucester Docks.
The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) had similar set-up at Clandon Park House at West Clandon, near Guildford until it was gutted by fire half a dozen years or so ago.

krffji

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Colchester United
The typical two battalion county infantry regiment pre WW1 would likely have 3 locations. One battalion in the UK, one battalion overseas and a Depot Battalion at their home base. The Depot Battalion would include such as recruits and trainees, those are to finish their time, maybe waiting for a posting or recuperating etc.

Lord Kinnaird

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hibernian
The Gloucester Journal of the same date reports on the same match, and says it is the Bordon League - which backs up BigAl's comment.

pitch 63

Reserve Team Regular
Thank you M'Lord. I have now established that the Bordon League existed at Bordon Camp in Hampshire from at least 1905-06 to 1924-25, thanks to various articles found on the BNA.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks