Monday 19th April 2021

Dave 56

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Leatherhead
Hope Valley League. Premier Division. KO 18:15. Crowd 19

Fairfield 0 v 1 Tansley Juniors

Absolutely dreadful from start to finish. A miracle there was even one goal. No one managed 3 passes without giving the ball away. All crosses overhit, no coordination to be seen anywhere. Won with a second half goal. The game was played on the pitch immediately below the main one. Good view leaning on the rail of the rugby pitch.

The venue, Buxton Rugby club is likely to be used for all of Fairfield's remaining fixtures. The club does not currently have a rugby team and the main floodlit pitch was also marked out for football. Plenty of politics going on but hopefully the venue will become a joint football and rugby location in due course.

Reactions: Tim

IAN S

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Hope Valley League A' Div.
Pilsley Community 0 Stretfield Sports 7
h/t 0-5
h/c 15
@ Old School P.F. Tibshelf

Not that bad a game but a massive gulf between the two clubs. No idea if this Pilsley's main venue, last year they played at some sports centre in Clay Cross. These were the old school playing fields, (clue is in the name), all the old school buildings having been demolished in 2014. Played on the pitch adjacent to the old tennis courts. A few past posters of this parish in attendance. Referee wore a baseball hat throughout, backwards!

Digdagdog

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Wiltshire Senior U18 Division
Recreation Ground
Pewsey Vale U18 0(0) Melksham Town U18 1(0)
F&N Attendance: 11 (h/c)

A re-named competition from Wiltshire Floodlit Youth.
Both sides out-of-form from before the pandemic and neither had won for at least 5 games; a predictably tight and niggly affair really. Both sides committed to attacking football with no hoof, it was a reasonable spectacle. Town hit the bar and should have scored a couple of more times and Vale had a couple of half chances, but Town's cubs were more energetic and had more penetration than the home side.
Things started to get a little bad-tempered mid-way though the 2nd half; a few cynical fouls and tackles slightly tarnished the game for me. A penalty was awarded and despatched on 81; I was at the other end of the ground and didn't get a clear view but it was hotly contested. Thereafter both sides got a little hot-headed and the Ref had to have a word on a couple of occasions and Town got Two Yellows and Vale One.
I suspect Town's lads will be back to losing ways against 2nd placed Chippenham Youth on Thursday but that is BCD. Home via Devizes in 35.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
North West non-league
Hope Valley League Premier Division - High Lane 2 Chapel Town 1 (HT 1-1)
Venue - Torkington Park (My 1st visit)
Attendance (h/c) 38
KO 6.18pm (3 mins late)

This was a great game played in lovely sunshine, and the first time I've been to watch a Hope Valley League game. It was also my 1st game of any description in 13 months. I now work evenings so this will severely restrict my viewing of games, but today I had the day off.

This was 2nd v 3rd in the league and if High Lane won by 2 goals then they would go top above Furness Vale.

Both sides played attacking football and it was a good game to watch. High Lane scored first on 20 mins but Chapel Town had lots of possession and chances to equalise, which they did on about 40 mins, and it was 1-1 at HT.

The winner came on 70 mins with a great strike from distance past the keeper to great celebrations. While the win doesn't put them top overall, they are level on points and GD with Furness Vale - just 1 goal behind in goals scored (42-41) and have a great chance of the title.

Was a nice entertaining return to watching for me.

pokal02

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
Mortimer 1-3 Burghfield
TVPL

Adm/Prog No Att est 120

This my favourite of the 4 TVPL grounds visited in the last 10 days, the bar and tea hut in a fairly enclosed setting and the 'Mortimer FC' board at the entrance making it more like a 'proper' ground. Decent crowd in including several hoppers.

The home side started brightly but Burghfield soon got on top - 0-0 at HT - point blank save from the home keeper on 49 keeping it so - the game then exploded into life with Mortimer going 1-0 up on 60 when a corner was headed back for the No15 to volley home. Burghfield equalised on 62 with a neat header from a cross from the right, Mortimer then won a pen which was saved, hit the post, and went 2-1 down from a header from a free kick on the left, all this within 5 minutes or so. Burghfield added a 3rd on 79 from close range after the initial shot had been saved.

Car park in ground wasn't quite enough for a crowd of this size - meaning some parked on the street making it very difficult to see to exit safely. No problems in either direction & indoors shortly after 21:00.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Thames Valley Premier Div.1
Westwood Wanderers Reserves 1-2 Rotherfield United

@ Cotswold Sports Centre, Tilehurst
Attendance: headcount of around a couple of dozen

A well played and well refereed match all round, with plenty of old-fashioned respect shown by all hinting that everyone was just happy to be back playing. Even the Wanderers manager refused to flag Rotherfield’s winner off when he perhaps had the chance while running the line, which was refreshing to see. I saw evidence of a similar attitude last week at Goring United - let’s hope it continues.

The Cotswold Sports Centre sits atop a hill in the suburb of Tilehurst, on the western edge of Reading and about a twenty minute uphill walk from Tilehurst railway station, with the no.16 bus service running close-by from Reading centre. Plenty of locals out-and-about on a pleasant evening, what with some impromptu netball and a noisy aerobics session also taking place, all of who were treated to a spectacular sunset at close of play...

EBF0B6FE-6388-46C2-B560-6FF07AF4CE26.jpeg

mattbarnes

Junior Team Sub
Thames Valley Premier Div.1
Westwood Wanderers Reserves 1-2 Rotherfield United

@ Cotswold Sports Centre, Tilehurst
Attendance: headcount of around a couple of dozen

A well played and well refereed match all round, with plenty of old-fashioned respect shown by all hinting that everyone was just happy to be back playing. Even the Wanderers manager refused to flag Rotherfield’s winner off when he perhaps had the chance while running the line, which was refreshing to see. I saw evidence of a similar attitude last week at Goring United - let’s hope it continues.

The Cotswold Sports Centre sits atop a hill in the suburb of Tilehurst, on the western edge of Reading and about a twenty minute uphill walk from Tilehurst railway station, with the no.16 bus service running close-by from Reading centre. Plenty of locals out-and-about on a pleasant evening, what with some impromptu netball and a noisy aerobics session also taking place, all of who were treated to a spectacular sunset at close of play...

View attachment 11901
Amazing picture. Do you happen to have much knowledge on the TVPL? I'm looking Marlow United or Wraysbury Village. Can't be sure from Google maps.

Pondman

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Fulham, FA Vase, Belgian and German non-league
Amazing picture. Do you happen to have much knowledge on the TVPL? I'm looking Marlow United or Wraysbury Village. Can't be sure from Google maps.
Reccomend Wraysbury Village. A tree lined, enclosed ground, bordered by water on two sides. Ten minute walk from the station.

GroundhoppingFC

Junior Team Sub
Last night I was at the Slough derby between Chalvey Sports and Langley FC at the Furze Platt 3G in the Hellenic League Challenge Cup Group Stage.

inside forward

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
any and all fc
Mortimer 1-3 Burghfield
TVPL

Adm/Prog No Att est 120

This my favourite of the 4 TVPL grounds visited in the last 10 days, the bar and tea hut in a fairly enclosed setting and the 'Mortimer FC' board at the entrance making it more like a 'proper' ground. Decent crowd in including several hoppers.

The home side started brightly but Burghfield soon got on top - 0-0 at HT - point blank save from the home keeper on 49 keeping it so - the game then exploded into life with Mortimer going 1-0 up on 60 when a corner was headed back for the No15 to volley home. Burghfield equalised on 62 with a neat header from a cross from the right, Mortimer then won a pen which was saved, hit the post, and went 2-1 down from a header from a free kick on the left, all this within 5 minutes or so. Burghfield added a 3rd on 79 from close range after the initial shot had been saved.

Car park in ground wasn't quite enough for a crowd of this size - meaning some parked on the street making it very difficult to see to exit safely. No problems in either direction & indoors shortly after 21:00.
Also at this one. Amazing turn out by the two sets of villagers to give an attendance of into 3 figures. I reckon 120 is a modest estimate and would add at least another 20 onto that. It matters not though for the game gave, however many, great entertainment. All credit to both sides in a local derby played in fine spirit, well refereed and once again justifying the TVPL decision to crack on with the season.

pokal02

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
Reccomend Wraysbury Village. A tree lined, enclosed ground, bordered by water on two sides. Ten minute walk from the station.
If it's enclosed, could there be problems getting in (before 17th May?) I don't think anyone's posted as having been there since re-opening.

Cousse

Junior Team Starter
If it's enclosed, could there be problems getting in (before 17th May?) I don't think anyone's posted as having been there since re-opening.
It’s mostly enclosed naturally by hedges and trees but is public land as it’s a memorial ground

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey

I thought I saw Marlow United pencilled in to play some matches at Marlow FC? If so, attending there might require pre-planning/permission.

However, If you’ve not done Rotherfield United yet, that would be worthwhile. To my knowledge, they’re still playing at the old Peppard FC ground in Sonning Common, north of Reading and easily reachable by bus. Plenty of football furniture at a railed pitch, but with ample public space around. On Monday’s showing, they’re presently playing decent football too.

SquareOne

Junior Team Sub
I thought I saw Marlow United pencilled in to play some matches at Marlow FC? If so, attending there might require pre-planning/permission.

However, If you’ve not done Rotherfield United yet, that would be worthwhile. To my knowledge, they’re still playing at the old Peppard FC ground in Sonning Common, north of Reading and easily reachable by bus. Plenty of football furniture at a railed pitch, but with ample public space around. On Monday’s showing, they’re presently playing decent football too.
Marlow United played a lot of the first half of the season at Marlow, but since the March restart nearly all their games are taking place at Gossmore Lane (I believe it's a Recreation Ground).

Almost definitely OK to visit
Since restart I know of people who have been (or have been myself) to Finchmampstead, Mortimer, Cookham Dean, Windlesham & Chobham, Wraysbury Village and Westwood Wanderers.

I think are OK
I've not heard of anyone going to Burghfield, Marlow (Gossmroe Lane), Newbury or Richings Park but they look OK.

Not sure
Reading City U23 at Rivers Club I'm not sure of either.

No entry, do not pass go, do not collect £200
TVPL where I think there's no entry include some of Wraysbury's games at Staines midweek, Berks County at Bracknell/Binfield and Maidenhead Town who are at Bisham Abbey. The rest _look_ like they should be OK but I can't 100% confirm that.

Barnsley Dave

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Barnsley, Yorkshire CCC, Non-league in general
Wraysbury are playing some of their home games at Staines Town so doubt you'd gain access to there though the next 2 Saturday games are at the Memorial Ground which has easy access

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks