Monday 19 October 2020

Planet Gong

Junior Team Sub
FA Youth Cup 3rd Qual Rd
At The Linwood
Aylestone Park u18 2 v 3 Bugbrooke St.Michael’s u18
In £4,no prog
Att 250 circa
Big crowd big night for both teams winners playing Mansfield Town at home in 1st round.
Great game of football putting many open age games I watch to shame.Both teams intend on playing attacking football made for a good watch.BSM deserving winners.

Digdagdog

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Mid Wilts Veterans League 2100hrs KO
Green Lane Playing Fields (Wiltshire FA) 3G (new tick)
VFC Devizes 4(2) Trowbridge Tigers FC LGBT 2(0)
F&N Attendance: 14

Quite impressed with the re-vamped facilities here; brand new 3G cage with a railed off viewing area. Smaller grass training pitch to one side and room for another full-sized grass pitch; all with a spanking new changing facility and Wilts FA administration offices. I played on the old fields years ago and they were a bit of a dump even then.
The second game I've seen in this format; over 35's and 25 minutes per half. Quite a spread of grey hair/balding/all shapes and sizes but all seemed to have played in the past (some probably quite a long way in the past).
Devizes were the stronger and remain top of the table but 'bridge played their part. Mostly played in good humour and with some genuinely funny passages of play where the head was well ahead of what the body can achieve. It appears that of the 10 team division only Corsham and Melksham will play their games at their own grounds; all other games will be played here.
Scoring sequence for posterity (bearing in mind its a 50 minute game)...
3(1-0), 19(2-0), 31(2-1), 44(3-1), 46(4-1) and 49(4-2). Home in just over 10 minutes.

The vulture

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Groundhog
Western League Division One @ Athletic Ground, Rowdens Road :
Wells City 1 Warminster Town 3.
Entry £6

Wells had most of the early possession but created next to nothing before a breakaway goal on 24 mins gave Warminster the lead, a decent block left an easy tap in. The 2nd on 34 was a fine header from an inswinging cross. A 3rd nearly came after 2 attempts from a free kick were blocked the 3rd came back off the foot of the post with the keeper rooted to the spot. On 44 Wells got on the scoresheet, another tap in after the visiting keeper had done well to claw away a point blank header. HT 1-2.

The 2nd half was dominated by the visitors with a very controlled performance, not too many clear cut chances but one was tucked away after 66 mins ; a fine through ball and a neat low finish from out wide.

Selective hearing from the Referee as a visiting forward was sin binned for shouting "fucking hell it's handball" but copping a deaf 'un as one of the visiting management team screamed at him calling him a "bell end".......I know which of the 2 things I'd find more unacceptable.

dtr1989

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bury FC
North West Counties Premier Division
Whitchurch Alport 1-1 Runcorn Town
Venue: Yockings Park
Attendance: 183
Admission: £6
New ground - 98

My geography is usually pretty good, but I had never heard of Whitchurch until I started groundhopping last year. I have the week off work and saw tonight’s game on the groundhopper app, so decided to make the 90 minute journey down to Shropshire, to tick off one of the most Southerly grounds in the NWCL.

Yockings Park is located on a country Lane, behind a row of houses. I was pleasantly surprised at the facilities here which bettered many in the 2 divisions above. There was a club room and social club, followed by a seated stand on the halfway line which housed about 130. Behind the goal to the left was a shell of a new stand being built which is going to cover the whole goaline. On the opposite touchline are two identical sized covered standing areas, broken in the middle by the dug outs and the clock tower! On the other goaline was a free standing covered seated stand, slightly offset.

The game was bitty but played at a fast pace. I would argue that Alport were the better ‘footballing’ team, but take nothing away from Runcorn. There was a decent chance where Alport hit the bar, but the breakthrough came by chance when a deflected shot, looped over the Runcorn keeper. The goal was given as a Roxburgh OG.

The 2nd half saw Runcorn press on, but Alport still had the better chances with Runcorn keeper Adam Reid making some decent stops. I’m ashamed to say that I missed the stoppage time equaliser for Runcorn from Craig Cairns!

The best player on the park was Alports number 6 - Will Hall. He is an 18 yo centre back on loan from Altrincham. He came through Salford City’s academy.

players of note:
Whitchurch Alport:

Krystian Burzynski - 25yo goalie who has represented Poland at u17 level. Unfortunately his last game for Whitchurch as he is moving home to Poland for work reasons.

Runcorn Town:

Joe Holt - 30yo who came through Wigan’s academy before moving to Swedish side Ostersund. He has also played for Woodley Sports, Cammell Laird, Skelmersdale and Northwich Victoria

Kieran Holsgrove - 20yo who was deployed on the left of midfield today. Clearly a central midfielder with some class. He has represented Wales at u17/19 level and has played for West Brom and Watford’s academies.

Football Shorts

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
neutral
npl sed
MARKET DRAYTON TOWN 0-3 LOUGHBOROUGH DYNAMO
att - 132
ground# - 316 - 1st visit

two sides at the opposite ends of the table and apart from a 10 minute spell just after half-time you could tell.
dynamo the better side from the off, probably should have been 2 or 3 up at the break. town gave it a go and after a clanger by the dynamo keeper were presented with an open goal which they missed. 2 further goals wrapped it all up both coming from excellent build-up play.

memory of the match - dynamo's second goal was created by their centre-back #5, who turned a town defender inside out before laying the ball off for the goal. not pretty for the town #2 to have a big cb do that to you.

Westberkspalace

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Palace/Didcot T/Epsom and Ewell.
FA Youth Cup 3QR at Loopmeadow.
Didcot Town 1-1 US Portsmouth, 5-4 pens.
Admission £3/£1, paper no, att 291.

As Planet Gong said above in relation to his game, same for mine, the best cup game I've seen so far this season.
Didcot as hosts had the lions sharing of attacking play, but against the run of play US won a penalty for hand ball that was blazed onto the bar. 0-0 HT.

Diddy continued to press but we're being denied by the away keeper and MOM "Damo" name? Who had a remarkable game. On one of US rare breaks Toman swept home from six yards from a right wing cross.
This just led to Didcot intensifying their attacking play and Damo in goal making save after save. Just as it seemed US might hold out Kennedy hit a 12 yarder into the bottom corner in the 89th minute, 1-1 ft, breathless stuff. This was celebrated like a cup winner by the players and decent crowd.

An exciting penalty shoot out ensued with both not scoring once in the regulation five. US failed with their sixth and Diddy scored setting up further excitable celebrations.

Both teams were a joy and ran their hearts out, Diddy now visit US neighbours Portsmouth FC in R1.

Last edited:

Tales From The Riverbank3

Junior Team Regular
......Another episode of Mondays @ Parkside and a further episode of a misfiring Aveley team, three times I have seen them in the last fortnight, three defeats and no goals. Opponents on this occasion were infinitely more dangerous in the final third and their win takes them five points clear at the top of the table. Early days appreciated on the balance of this display mid table mediocrity looks unlikely in Thurrock docklands...

Aveley 0 v 3 Tilbury - Isthmian League Division 1 North
Prog 32 pages (eventually) another for the home printer* - Admission £10.00 - Att. 397 ( I like to think that in keeping with the current regulations that if a group of four had turned up after all the above had been admitted, one of the gruppe would be told. 'Apologies but we have reached our full capacity').

*At the end of a typically frantic w*rking Monday, the last thing that was required was a printer with 'issues' and only printing certain pages. All resolved on return but the downside was four copies of a full colour multi MB tome and a severe depletion in the Cyan ink cartridge level.

....Another for the never ending category of the saying that 'if you do not take your chances'. From a home perspective, their approach play was reasonable enough but the direction of travel towards the goal when shooting was nearly always skywards. Contrast this with a far more decisive visiting approach and the consensus during the second half was that it would be a long time before we would see Aveley score.

From the early minutes, Aveley's shooting was wayward with Alex Sykes side footing a volley wide of the post and then when Harry Girling in the Tilbury goal was stranded outside of his area Bradley Sach attempted from distance but the outcome was rashly wide. The visitors bided their time and took the lead in spectacular fashion with a superb lofted drive from the edge of the area from Tony Stokes that sailed over David Hughes and left him clutching at the gusty Aveley air.

For a while there was more direction in the hosts shooting meaning that Girling was called upon to make several saves that were more than routine with the most notable being one to his right to push away a shot from Jack Mochalski and Girling was fortunate that the rebound eluded Sach.

Little in the way of noticeable change in the second half apart from the short interlude where Aveley were directing their shots goalwards had ended with substitute Morishi Gelashvili and then Sach blazing over at the back post. Same later on in the half when Alex Clark lashed over, Clark with his pace and tendency to take on opponents on the right was one of the few bright spots of an increasingly weary looking home display.

At the other end, Brian Moses whose gangling 'six foot thirteen' frame and attendant awkwardness always attracts South Essex detractors was having a fine game and his careful lay off with ten minutes set up a shooting opportunity for Lewis Smith, however when he was in the process of shooting he had his legs upended by George Winn, leading to a blast of the whistle and the man in black pointing to the spot. Moses resultant penalty was well aimed and had just about enough pace and direction to see it past Hughes into the corner. The visitors evening reached new heights with a superbly struck drive from Cameron Brodie which beat Hughes for sheer pace. The vocal Tilbury contingent were exultant at the end as from this angle a five point lead at the top of the table would have been a very rash prediction when the season commenced. However, as this season is to put it mildly 'unusual' Tilbury's exceptional start to the season is not what was expected.

Hosts another club to bring their kick off times forward to 19.30 to allow (I hope) a socially distanced rush to the Parkside bar for last orders and as is becoming the norm the NHS App brought up the venue without issue.

It was like being transported back to pre Covid times with an inward journey via Route 372 from Rainham Interchange and the walk from St Pauls Close. Decided post match to indulge in a healthy(ish) eighty five minute return walk taking in the millennial architecture of Chafford Hundred. Indoors at 22.50....

barcud-coch

Junior Team Regular
Cheltenham Town 3 Stourbridge 2

Broomy Hill: Midland Floodlit Youth League Southern Division

This was my second visit of the campaign to Broomy Hill to watch a Midland Floodlit Youth League fixture. Cheltenham Town are operating a development centre in Herefordshire this term, which is being led by last season’s Hereford FC under-18 team manager, and the Robins are using the home of Herefordshire FA County League club Hinton as the base for their under-18 team in this competition. Cheltenham Town came into last night’s fixture just inside the top-half of the division after losing 4-2 at Redditch United in their last outing. Stourbridge were second in the table after recording a 5-2 home success over Stourport Swifts in their previous fixture.

The hosts opened the scoring last night courtesy of a direct 25 yard free-kick but the Glassboys replied four minutes later from the penalty spot when the Cheltenham Town goalkeeper rushed off his line and brought down an opponent. The Robins regained the lead 18 minutes after the interval, when a cross from the right was not cleared, and the loose ball was met with a sweet half-volley that flew past the visiting custodian. Stourbridge were back on level terms three minutes later, however, when the ball was bundled over the line from a corner on the left. Just when it appeared that the teams would have to share the spoils in what became an increasingly feisty affair, the Robins snatched the spoils in stoppage time, when a free-kick from just over 25 yards was smashed past the Glassboys’ custodian and left him clawing for fresh air.

2020/21 Statistics
Goals: 179
Matches: 42
New Grounds: 1

Dave the Glassboy

Junior Team Starter
Also at Hinton for the above game - should be pointed out this is one of two teams that Stourbridge have in the MIdland Floodlit Youth League - the "senior youth" team playing in Premier Division South.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks