Memorable games

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Most of us have our favourtite team as well as watching other teams, so I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the most important game you have watched that involved the team you support?
2. What was the biggest game you have attended which didn't involved the team you support? Biggest could be any game at any level that was a big game for at least one of the teams involved

For me these are.
1. As a Doncaster Rovers fan a few games come to mind. Leeds United at Wembley to win the League 1 play off final in 2008 and Bristol Rovers in Cardiff in the Johnstone Paint Trophy but the most important to me is Doncaster v Dagenham & Redbridge, the Conference play off final at Stoke in 2003. Winning that game changed the club by returning Doncaster to the Football League, and allowed them to build a new stadium. If we had lost we would probably still be playing outside the Football League, at Belle Vue.

2. Biggest other game I have attended would be the the final of Euro2000 between France and Italy in Rotterdam. A great day leading up to the match, a great atmosphere inside the stadium and the final wasn't bed either

paulh66

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Mine's also a National League playoff final, Tranmere v Boreham Wood. Not only the most important but also a never to be forgotten afternoon the way the match panned out - down to ten men in the first minute, all three subs had to be used in the first half, from which point on we had three of the regular back four missing. Conceded the equaliser in the 8th minute of first half injury time and we really were staring down the barrel of a gun. And the implications for the club where huge.

I've never in my life seen a team dig so deep to get a win. And in decades of watching football I've never experienced such a range of emotions, and with such intensity, as this. So intense I couldn't even get a sound out when Norwood headed our 81st minute winner....a goal I can still vividly remember unfolding almost in slow motion.

Can't say I'd care to go through anything like that again but wouldn't have missed it for the world, and still can't watch the highlights with a dry eye! A totally unique experience.

After reliving all that, I'll now have to compose myself before attempting an answer to your second question!! 💊:giggle:

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
1. FA Cup final 1968. West Bromwich Albion 1 Everton 0. The last time we won a major trophy. To be honest, other than the goal, I don't remember much of the match - but that goal is enough.

2. Opening game World Cup 1990 . Argentina 0 Cameroon 1 (Played in Milan). Picked up a ticket from a tout outside at less than face value - when I bought it I never dreamt I would see the Africans (who finished with 9 men) deservedly defeat the reigning champions.

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
The most important match attended for me as a Portsmouth fan would be the 1992 FA Cup semi-final at Highbury, when we drew 1-1 against Liverpool. Jim Smith had put together such a wonderful side that season - I've never seen a Pompey side work so hard or play so well in all my time as I did that day, and truth be told (from an admittedly bias point of view) we should have beaten them both in the first match, and again in the replay at Villa Park. Youngsters like Darren Anderton and Kit Symons made their names that day, while the old-timers like Colin Clarke, Warren Neill and Mark Chamberlain put in the performances of their careers - so mercurial was Chamberlain that day that he'd have scored goals himself if Liverpool's defenders hadn't resorted to desperately kicking him off the park. Pompey rode their luck at times (I can remember Ian Rush's drifting volley looking like it was going in for what seemed like an age before it came back off the bar), but there were periods when Liverpool were really on the rack. When Anderton's goal went in at the Clock End with about eight minutes of extra-time to go, I don't think I've ever experienced such emotion at a football match in my life...

But for all the wonderful memories of that day, just thinking about Ronnie Whelan's last-minute jammy equaliser makes me feel sick even now twenty-eight years later, as does remembering the penalty shoot-out in the replay. And we'd have stuffed Sunderland in the final, too.

As for the biggest other game, I'll nominate watching Swansea City beat Lincoln City 2-0 at Vetch Field on the last day of the season in May 1987. It was the end of the very first season of automatic relegation out of the fourth division, with the three clubs in danger being Lincoln, Torquay United and Burnley. The events at Plainmoor and at Turf Moor that day are still well-known: Torquay coming back to draw 2-2 against Crewe Alexandra with an equaliser in stoppage-time added on after Torquay's Jim McNichol had been bitten by a police dog, while up at Burnley's match the local police entered Orient's dressing-room at half time to offer the 'advice' that the visiting players' safety couldn't be guaranteed in the event of a Burnley defeat. Surely the most motivational half-time team-talk ever!

Unfortunately for Lincoln City, they had no such help from their local constabulary. Lincoln hadn't been in bottom place at any point previously that season, and I suspect were in denial of the situation they found themselves in that day - they were awful on the pitch, and a pretty pedestrian Swansea side beat them without much ado. At the final whistle, with the Torquay match still ongoing and Radio 2 broadcasting the Burnley match live, the Lincoln players congregated at the fence in front of their surprisingly small away following, and the truth slowly began to dawn on them. Walking home afterwards, we saw groups of Lincoln fans in the streets outside the Vetch in tears, such was the enormity of relegation into non-league at the time.

Last edited:

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
1) Oxford United 3 York City 1 in the Conference play-off final at Wembley in May 2010 (I also attended the 1985-86 League Cup Final which had a bigger crowd but Oxford United's 3-0 victory over QPR that day was nowhere as important as getting back into the FL in 2010)

2) in the UK - probably the 2019 FA Cup final between Manchester City and Watford.

2) Abroad - probably Costa Rica v Ecuador at Hamburg in the 2006 World Cup Finals. That was actually a revisit to the Volksparkstadion, not a new ground (by my rules)

buncranaboy

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Liverpool vs St Etienne in the European Cup QF 1977. You had to be there..........

Republic of Ireland vs England at Euro 88 in Stuttgart. A lifetime dream realised and a result I could only dream of :p

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
2011-12: Plymouth Argyle 3 Stourbridge 3; Stourbridge 2 Plymouth Argyle 0 (FA Cup 1st Round)

Having watched the Glassboys since 1969, there was never even a suggestion in most of that time that anything like this could happen. Then in 2009-10 Walsall came to the War Memorial Ground in the first rund of the FA Cup. Lost 1-0, but happy I'd finally seen a Football League team as opposition. Two years later - same again. The day began with an Argyle v Stour youth team friendly at Elburton Villa. Then, a proper football league ground, great atmosphere, friendly stewards, a 3-3 draw, slightly disappointed to see a late Argyle equaliser but we all knew what would happen in the replay. Comfortable from start to finish, and once Argyle had a man sent off early on, it was a question of how many: they got off lightly. The Glassboys on live telly - Peter Reid said you couldn't tell which was the non-league team. This still all seems slightly unreal.

1977-78 Ipswich 1 Arsenal 0 (FA Cup Final)

Only trip to old Wembley. Arrived home from Swindon Town (Don Rogers Testimonial) at around midnight on the Friday evening to find two tickets on the doormat. Tickets found us in with Ipswich fans, and surrounded by people from the Black Country - Paul Cooper's dad kept a pub in Brierley Hill and we stood with all the locals. The goal was down the far end, couldn't see a thing, but still a great experience, and despite having seen the Baggies lose to Ipswich in the semi final, we wanted them to win.

mayo

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bradford City (lapsed)
9th May 1999
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-3 Bradford City

Promotion to the Premier League for Bradford City? Seriously? Yes, it actually happened, and I was there. At 3-1 up we had a penalty to make it safe. We missed it and conceded a goal soon afterwards. Wolves then hit the post (IIRC), by which time we were all stressed as hell, knowing that Ipswich could have overtaken us had we not won. The final whistle was greeted with scenes of jubilation never previously witnessed by Bradfordians. Goosebumps just thinking about it.

6th October 2001
England 2-2 Greece (at Old Trafford)

THAT Beckham free kick which sent us to the World Cup Finals. Brilliant 😁

Northstandexile

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
16th April 2013
conference national
Hereford United 1-2 Mansfield Town

Midweek game before the last Saturday of the season. In effect Mansfield had to win to keep the title challenge in their own hands.
After going behind early in the first half, we managed to equalise before half time. In second half we were totally on top but could not score. Board went up for 4 minutes of added time with us still drawing.
In second minute our goalkeeper Alan Marriott launched a kick down field. The excellent Matt Rhead flicked the header on and Matt Green held off his defender to fire the ball into the net.
The relieve, excitement and joy will I think never be so great in the rest of my lifetime in watching football.

the title was won on the Saturday by beating already play off team, Wrexham 1-0 in a relative anti climax game to win the Conference title, but everyone knew we won the title at Hereford on the Tuesday night.

Swindon Addick

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
1. 5 December 1992. First game back at The Valley. I've seen the team win the League 1 playoff and I've seen the Women win the National League playoff (and lose an FA Cup final) but nothing will ever compare to the day we got our club back.

2. End of the 1991 season, unable to get a ticket for Charlton's last game at Selhurst, I went to see Barnet finally win promotion to the League, away at Fisher Athletic.

Bigaitch

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None in particular
1 Gateshead 1 Lincoln City 2, National League Easter Monday 2027.
On Good Friday The Imps had scored twice in the last few minutes to beat Torquay at Sincil Bank and leave them within spitting distance of a return to the Football League. However Tranmere were breathing down their necks and for Lincoln the seasons cup ties and marathon season were taking their toll. Trailing by the only goal with a minute left, a Heed defender handled and Matt Rhead kept his nerve to hopefully grab a useful point. However within 2 minutes, Rhead flicked on a free kick and Nathan Arnold controlled on his chest and drove home to send 2500 imps fans into raptures. The first 88 mins Lincoln were woeful but somehow turned it round and 5 days later were crowned champs and my Fathers thoughts that he would never see Lincoln City in the Football League again were consigned to the bin. A day off real emotion.

2 As above, December 5th 1992 at The Valley. Somehow I managed to acquire two tickets in the week leading up to the game and along with my dad were part of a capacity crowd of less than 8500 who witnessed an incredibly emotional day as Charlton returned home. Nothing I don’t think will ever beat that day for me as far as footy goes.

Corona

Ball Boy / Girl
1. FA Cup final 1968. West Bromwich Albion 1 Everton 0. The last time we won a major trophy. To be honest, other than the goal, I don't remember much of the match - but that goal is enough.

Left Foot, Top Corner.
Will never forget it !

pitch 63

Junior Team Starter
29 August 1962 - Bristol Rovers v Leeds United. These two teams had met 5 days previously and drawn at Leeds. In the second match Leeds were winning 4-0 at half time, but the final score was 4-4.

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
2011-12: Plymouth Argyle 3 Stourbridge 3; Stourbridge 2 Plymouth Argyle 0 (FA Cup 1st Round)
Tim - as a Baggies fan, were you at this match?...

Sunday 8th May 1994~
Portsmouth 0-1 West Bromwich Albion

...when West Brom stayed up and sent Birmingham City down.

It was the last day of the season, with Pompey safe in mid-table, but West Brom needing a win and other results (notably Birmingham's match away at play-off chasing Tranmere) to go their way to avoid relegation. The attendance that day at Fratton Park was 17,629, with over half those present (maybe as many at 10,000) being travelling fans packed into the away end. As more and more West Brom fans poured into the ground, the police had to open up half of the large North Terrace to visiting supporters, and at one point the only crowd segregation was a strip of plastic blue-and-white 'Police Incident' tape stretched from the North Stand down to the touchline.

The kick-off was delayed when West Brom fans invaded the pitch, which proved to their eventual advantage when Birmingham's match kicked off on time. Despite Pompey putting in their best performance for several weeks and dominating much of the play, Baggies held a one goal lead for much of the match. Then, when news came through of Birmingham's 2-1 victory at Tranmere (City were on a roll at the time, with five wins and two draws in their last seven matches), West Brom became very jittery (they were on a poor run, losing four of their previous five, and were pre-match favourites to go down), knowing that they had to hold the lead they had. Late on, the Baggies' goalie made a fantastic save from a Paul Hall shot that he could only have seen at the very last second.

With Pompey pushing hard for an equaliser and West Brom fans encroaching onto the pitch from three sides, referee David Elleray blew the final whistle noticeably early, sparking another pitch invasion and wild celebrations. West Brom stayed up with a goal difference of -9 to Birmingham City's -17, with both even on points.

A non-ticket pay-on-the-gate match, in a large terraced ground with very limited segregation - it's unlikely we'll ever see a match that high up the pyramid, of that importance played in this way or with this sort of atmosphere ever again.

Another exciting last-day contest between the two, with West Brom again avoiding relegation by the skin of their teeth, was...

Sunday 15th May 2005~
West Bromwich Albion 2-0 Portsmouth

...when Pompey played just badly enough to make sure Southampton went down instead! 😛

paulh66

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
And I was at the Tranmere v Birmingham game, with a mate who was one of the 6,000 Brum fans who made the trip. They were very loud and backed the team to the end, even after they knew West Brom had sent them down. Barry Fry had given them hope and they bounced back as champions the following season.

Last edited:

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Tim - as a Baggies fan, were you at this match?...
No. Only visit to Fratton Park I can recall was:

27 March 1976 Portsmouth 0 WBA 1 (Division 2) Att: 10,617. The goal may or may not have been scored by Joe Mayo. It was a long time ago....

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
Sunday 8th May 1994~
Portsmouth 0-1 West Bromwich Albion

Sunday 15th May 2005~
West Bromwich Albion 2-0 Portsmouth
I was not at the first as I was on a weeks family holiday in Scotland - coincidentally :giggle: timed to allow attendance at the last ever match played by Inverness Thistle.

Was at the second and well remember the Pompey fans chanting "let them score", the nerve wracking wait for the final whistle at Charlton, and the after match party with Pompey fans in Birmingham.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks