Megxit

007Dale

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Talks between the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry today over his and Meghan’s exit from the Royal Family.

The important things from a tax payer perspective;
1. Will they pay back the £2.4m spent on refurbishing their UK residence (Frogmore House).
2. Who will pay for their ongoing security costs, given spending time across two countries is more expensive.
3. They should now pay tax on their global income to the UK Government.

The questions around titles etc are irrelevant as far as I’m concerned.

derekn

Team{s}
Taunton Town
Shouldn't this be Megxitgate, to complete the childish pointlessness of it all.

buncranaboy

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
I did see a tweet saying that people were divided between those who couldn't give a shit and those who couldn't give a toss.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I did see a tweet saying that people were divided between those who couldn't give a shit and those who couldn't give a toss.
To be honest I wouldn't normally condone this sort of language on a forum that has no age restrictions therefore can have kids browsing.

In this particular case it's probably appropriate. Now I am going to have to go off and look for the swear filter in this new software. Bugg** it :oops:

Climate Change

Junior Team Regular
To be honest I wouldn't normally condone this sort of language on a forum that has no age restrictions therefore can have kids browsing.

In this particular case it's probably appropriate. Now I am going to have to go off and look for the swear filter in this new software. Bugg** it :oops:
Shocking.You wouldn't find that sort of language on a yougov poll,,,,,,,,,,,,

Jaundiced Hack

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Watford FC, Bridgwater Town FC Assistant Sec.
Could we by chance arrange some kind of package deal for the whole load of freeloading, chinless, bloodthirsty, adulterous, inbreeds to go to Canada, or possibly further away and carry on their dodgy bloodlines? Harry and his half brother in a squared circle for 4 x 3 minute rounds would be fun to watch although unlikely to be a programme printed.

DonQuixote

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
Good to see you've still got your 'bitter and twisted' gene Kerry..... 🤣🤣🤣

Based on 2017 figures...

A leading consultancy firm found that the Royals contributed £1.766 billion to the economy.

Maintaining the monarchy costs around £292 million - £4.50 per person.

#dothemaths
#smallbeer

Yatesman

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur

Based on 2017 figures...

A leading consultancy firm found that the Royals contributed £1.766 billion to the economy.

#dothemaths
#smallbeer
I'm sure we could reduce that £292 million by trimming a few of the spares off the Royal list.............. Andrew/Fergie and all their progeny add zilch to the economy and even less to the cultural richness of our nation and could easily didsappear somewhere far, far away without too many tears being shed.
There are a fair few other hangers on I'm sure could be identified.
We could also nationalise much of the lands and properties the royals have appropriated over the centuries and use for the general public good rather than benefitting dozens of minor Royal non-entities..

As for Harry and Megz........... Leave them be to find their own path in life.

We, The People, do not own them any more than the State owns a benefit claimant.

Good luck to them.

DonQuixote

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
...just what we need - more government and a dumbass President #marvellous

007Dale

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Personally, I would keep a slimmed-down monarchy in this country.

That said, if I was Australian or Canadian, there is no way I’d want my head of state to be from outside my country.

As DQ mentions, there’s no economic reason to abolish them, but I understand why many people would have a moral objection to a Royal family.

PaulC

Youth Team Sub

Based on 2017 figures...

#dothemaths
#smallbeer
Do you have a link to their findings?

DonQuixote

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge

Climate Change

Junior Team Regular
O my God........what have you done!?
Grapho Man will be salivating over his Scots porridge............

PaulC

Youth Team Sub
There is absolutely no detail, or even methodology in the report.

For example:

“Tourism
The appeal of pomp and circumstance set in living royal residences draws millions of tourists every year. We estimate that the overall uplift to the sector is a staggering £550 million, making the contribution to tourism the largest of the benefits generated by the Monarchy. In 2016, over 2.7 million tourists visited Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse and other key royal attractions. An additional boost comes from merchandise sales.”

Where’s the analysis?

What would be the contribution of royal assets to the economy if the royals suffered the same fate as their French equivalents (not that I’m advocating it). France benefits massively from royal tourism even though France had the good sense to become a republic 250 years ago.

I suspect getting rid of the royals and fully opening up all royal buildings to the public would be a massive boost to tourism.

DonQuixote

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
'I suspect getting rid of the royals and fully opening up all royal buildings to the public would be a massive boost to tourism.'

Can you break that one down?

This one slightly downgrades the benefits of said year - 2017 - but again, for the
cost of one pint of beer per person, per year...it's a no brainer.

Yatesman

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Yate Town FC
Tottenham Hotspur
'I suspect getting rid of the royals and fully opening up all royal buildings to the public would be a massive boost to tourism.'

Can you break that one down?

This one slightly downgrades the benefits of said year - 2017 - but again, for the
cost of one pint of beer per person, per year...it's a no brainer.
Even if we accept these reports that say The Royals are net contributors to the economy that isn't in itself an argument not to trim down the Royal List, or whatever the hangers on are called, and return much of their land and property holdings back to the State.

I think there should be a Public Enquiry, in to the Royal Family , it's finances, the work it does , it's impact on the country and try to identify how to slim it down and how to make each and every individual on the Royal List profitable, relevant and accountable.

DonQuixote

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
The data is already available and out there*...why waste another £5-10 million on
a pointless Government inquiry to tell the public what they already know?

It [the Royal Family] costs every person in the country around a £5 per year.

Are you going to knock one out on the strength of that figure being halved?

*I'm sure that must be some kind of legal requirement to put said stats out
into the public domain.

Hoddy1.

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
The data is already available and out there*...why waste another £5-10 million on
a pointless Government inquiry to tell the public what they already know?

It [the Royal Family] costs every person in the country around a £5 per year.

Are you going to knock one out on the strength of that figure being halved?

*I'm sure that must be some kind of legal requirement to put said stats out
into the public domain.
I'd get it looked at - '' graphorrhea''.

Climate Change

Junior Team Regular

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks