May 9th

willesden

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
1987: Hull City 3 Crystal Palace 0 Division Two (att: 7,656)

A fantastic end to a disappointing season as a couple of Alex Dyer goals with one from Neil Williams sending a packed away terrace back home empty handed.

2013: Staines Town 1 Sutton United 0 (after extra time) Isthmian League Youth Cup Final (att: 126)

prog.jpg

A wet and windy Thursday night as high winds caused havoc to trains with lines being blocked by trees and wires coming down. Only a mixture of stubbornness, daftness and the fact I’d never previously been to a game a Wheatsheaf Park prevented me aborting the trip.

Joe Hughes scored the only goal from the spot. One of many strange decisions by referee Mark Engelbretson who handed out cards like a croupier and was determined to let everyone know that he was the star of the show. It was quiet when the ref went forward at the presentation ceremony, with plenty of peers and parents of the players shaking their heads.

An excellent non nonsense and helpful train guard on the return saw my Scarborough Athletic jacket. He turned out to be the uncle of Tom Claisse who I knew from his spell with the club. A small world!

2018: Balham 4 Cray Valley PM 1 London Senior Cup Final (att: 317) at Silver Jubilee Park

4.jpg

I’d started the Wednesday in Wuppertal, with a few hours in Dortmund in the highly recommended Deutsches Fußballmuseum, which alongside the Scottish Museum at Hampden was as good as I’d visited, before lunch in Wenkers am Markt prior to the flight back.

Some Hendon regulars were in attendance as we put a brave face on the previous Monday’s play-off final defeat. A few Dulwich Hamlet fans, including the much missed Mishi and the fella who’d bought us a big round after their win, had come along and they were given a warm welcome.

We were treated to a fine game as Balham were too quick and inventive for holders Cray Valley who included former Premier League forward Kevin Lisbie in their side. Balham’s goals came from Tomasz Wocial, James Gallagher and a Ibz Olutade brace. Valley had earlier equalised through Cem Tumkaya.

NeilH

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Cambridge City
1987 Aldershot 1 Cardiff City 2
Division 4

Another away day with Cardiff, a lovely sunny day for my only ever visit to the Recreation Ground. Cardiff were in the Rec end, which from memory was flat standing or perhaps a sloping path? A lot of violence before and after the game which my mate Taff and I managed to avoid. No real memories of the game but do remember jumping on to a moving train as it departed Aldershot Station to avoid another punch-up - never seen Taff move so quickly as he pulled down the half open window, opened the door from the inside and we both jumped on.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock