May 7th

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
I had intended to include this in my earlier post, but the technology thought otherwise.

1993 (Friday)
VfB Leipzig 2 SC Freiburg 0
2. Bundesliga
@ Zentralstadion (Att; 10,200; Adm 12 DM)

This was a top of the table clash with VfB in third lying 7 points behind leaders Freiburg. Dirk Anders scored after 34 mins, with Brazilian Franklin adding the second in the final minute.

At the end of the season the two clubs occupied the same positions with, in these pre play-off days, both winning promotion to the Bundesliga. Freiburg were to spend the majority of subsequent seasons in the top flight. VfB only lasted one and dropped out of the league altogether in 1998 before going bankrupt in 1999 and finally being dissolved in 2004.
VFB a.jpg

When they entered the newly reunified German league the seaon before, VfB had played at their traditional home of Bruno-Plache-Stadion. However, for this season they had to move to the mammoth Zentralstadion for "security reasons". Holding 110,000 in its prime, the stadium was now in a parlous state - most sections were closed off and those which were open were extremely dilapidated. I can only assume it was thought to be better than the Bruno-Plache because the vast space meant opposing fans could be kept well apart. Hooliganism in the former East was a pretty big issue at the time - indeed, I remember when I had gone to a VfB home match the previous season a very threatening looking mob of about 50/60 skinheads had been prevented from entering the ground by the Polizei.

The pictures show Zentralstadion in its better days and the new stadium, now occupied by the Red Bull franchise club, built inside the old.
VfB.png
VFB1.jpg

Last edited:

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
A couple of photographs, but only some slight significance to...

Sunday 7th May 2000 ~
Division One
Portsmouth 1-3 Queens Park Rangers

On the final day of the season, Pompey striker Rory Allen scored his third and last goal for the club - a 53rd minute equaliser. Allen was Pompey's first-ever £1million signing, bought from Tottenham in July 1999, but an injury-prone career meant he only made fifteen first-team appearances. Rory Allen never even completed his contract, deciding in 2002 to quit and travel to Australia to live with the Barmy Army while following an English cricket tour. One of his (rare) match-worn shirts has been up for sale for £65 on the Classic Football Shirts website for at least three years now.

1588881415571.png

1588881389610.png

The concrete terracing and metal lean-bars visible in this second photograph, where the police officers and police dog are stood, is Fratton Park's once-famous Boilermakers' Hump, a spot of terracing beneath the north-eastern floodlight pylon. This got its name from the large number of manual dockyard-workers (including my granddad) who used to stand there during the title-winning seasons of the late forties and early fifties. In the mid-eighties, it became the site for the police control centre and was finally cut off as a no-go area.

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
1983 - Division 3
AFC Bournemouth 2-2 Wigan Athletic
Attendance 4,523
This was George Best's fifth and final game for the Cherries, who led 2-0 with goals from Mark Nightingale and Trevor Morgan before being pegged back late on, IIRC David Lowe, only 17 at the time, scored both Wigan goals.

Seen Telford United twice on this day. Like Hants Londoner, was also at the 1988 FA Trophy Final, my first visit to Wembley. Remember Telford wasting a golden opportunity to win it in late when Steve Norris through on goal with only keeper Andy Pape to beat, shot straight at him.

1994 - Conference
Yeovil Town 1-0 Telford United
Attendance 2,800
Yeovil were yo-yoing between the Conference and Isthmian League at thes time. A late goal got them the win they needed to survive and home fans celebrated with a pitch invasion at the end of the game, one older leaving was fan less impressed saying 'How can you celebrate that rubbish?'. They were relegated the following season. Was my second visit to Huish Park, only difference between then and now was that both end terraces were open.

2001 - Bank Holiday Monday double:
1100 - Combined Counties League
Ash United 1-5 Cove
Attendance 200 est
Cove had a good side and won the league that season, this was comfortable win against a team who held them 2-2 at Romayne Close just 6 days previously. Was the first and only time I had encountered Ash United's one man ultra, also my first and only visit to Youngs Drive, can't remember too much about the ground so maybe time I revisited.
1530 - Kent League
VCD Athletic 2-1 Whitstable Town (at Thamesmead Town FC)
Attendance 50 est.
Cock up with kick off times that day, arrived at Bayliss Avenue expecting to see Chatham Town clinch the title against hosts Thamesmead Town only to find the game was played in the morning (didn't have internet at the time and no mention in Traveller of it being a morning kick off) so had to make do with an end of season dead rubber and bracketed tick for VCD, who were groundsharing as their own Old Road ground didn't get permission for floodlights for another few years. Ground just had a nice old small stand back then and was completely different when I returned last October to finally tick a team called Thamesmead, albeit Sporting Club rather than Town who had folded by then.

Last edited:

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Bank Holiday Monday treble in 2007:
1130 - Combined Counties League Division 1
CB Hounslow United 0-3 Worcester Park - Attendance 27
1500 - Spartan South Midlands League Division 2
The 61FC 3-2 Kings Langley - Attendance 25
1900 - Midland Combination Division 1
Bartley Green 6-0 Leamington Hibernian - Attendance 150 est

CB Hounslow were still playing at their old ground on the edge of Osterley Park back then, a small cover one side with a roped off pitch behind which was home to Deportivo Galicia when they were in the Middlesex League. Was a tight promotion and title race, finishing 3rd just a behind both Farnham Town and Horley Town who went up. WP wouldn't have gone up anyway as they couldn't and still can't get permission for lights and were unwilling to groundshare. The 61, named after a local bus route according to the programme, was in a rough area of Luton. There was a small covered terrace in the corner but this was a no go area for most of the game as it was populated by a group of local Asian youths until the police came round 10 minutes before the end of the game and arrested one of them for suspected drug dealing. The result was a surprise as visitors Kings Langley finished 2nd, presumably they didn't get lights until the following year when they went up as champions. Lots of hoppers swelled the attendance at Bartley Green and as a result missed out on a programme which sold out long before I arrived at 6:40pm. Bartley won the league by a single point from Northfield Town and groundshared at Tividale the following season so they could go up to the Premier as they didn't have lights at their own Illey Lane ground, close the M5 services at Frankley. It had a modern cover and grass bank behind the far goal.

Bank Holiday Monday double in 2012:
1230 - Dorset Premier
Merley Cobham Sports 1-4 Hamworthy Recreation
Attendance 40 est
1500 - Southern League South & West Play-Off Final
Poole Town 1-3 Gosport Borough (AET)
Attendance 1,200 est
Comfortable win for the visitors in this local derby between two teams whose grounds are about a mile and a half apart either side of Merley and Canford Magna. Ground a railed off pitch fairly local to me so by no means my first visit, there used to be a bird gardens behind. Could have done without all the injury time which meant the game didn't finish until 2:35pm and by the time I reached Tatnam programmes had already sold out. Poole were on course for the victory and promotion until Steve Claridge came on and equalised in injury time to take it to extra time where Gosport scored another two goals to go up.

Last edited:

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
A rugby match on a Friday evening in 2010.
Welsh League Division 2 East
Treorchy 15-35 Gilfach Goch
Attendance 600 est
Gilfach pipped the hosts to the title but both teams were promoted. Kicked off at 6:45pm as they didn't have lights, just as well as I would have missed out on the lovely Rhondda Valley setting if visiting for a night game, one of the most picturesque rugby grounds I have visited, had a covered stand one side and open terrace on the other and over the wall behind one end was a fully enclosed football ground with railed off pitch, anyone have any idea who plays there? Don't think it has been on any Welsh hop.

Bagman

Reserve Team Starter
Saturday 7th May 2016

Cambridgeshire County League Senior A

Ely City Reserves (1) 2 vs. 1 (1) Paxton United

Admission Free No Programmes Attendance 35 Head Count

After the Football we went to Speedway

FIM World Championship Qualifying Round One (Kings Lynn)

Winner Fredrix Lindgren 13pts
Second Krzystof Kasprzak 12pts (After Run Off)
Third Kenneth Bjerre 12pts

Programme £4

bluearmybob

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1966. IPSWICH TOWN (5) v WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS (2) Division 2. Att 14,201.
1973. NORWICH CITY (1) v IPSWICH TOWN (2) Texaco Cup Final 2nd Leg. (Agg 2-4) Att 35,798.
1977. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v NEWCASTLE UNITED (0) Division 1. Att 24,760.
1983. IPSWICH TOWN (3) v WATFORD (1) Division 1. Att 19,921.
1984. MANCHESTER UNITED (1) v IPSWICH TOWN (2) Division 1. Att 44,257.
1994. BLACKBURN ROVERS (0) v IPSWICH TOWN (0) Premier League. Att 20,633.
2000. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v WALSALL (0) Division 1. Att 21,908.
2001. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v MANCHESTER CITY (1) Premier League. Att 25,004.
2011. WINGATE & FINCHLEY (2) v BRENTWOOD TOWN (2) ILD1N Play-Off Final. (3-2 aet) Att 528.
2016. OXFORD UNITED (3) v WYCOMBE WANDERERS (0) League 2. Att 11,845.

Last edited:

aiwa

Youth Team Hopeful
1981 Sutton Coldfield Town 2-0 Hednesford Town (West Midlands League Premier Division Cup Final at Dudley Town) Always nice to win a bit of silverware, even better at such an impressive ground. Remember Kim Casey scoring with a flashing header which flew into the top corner of the goal with the Pitmen's keeper awestruck.

1988 Brechin City 2-1 Ayr United (Scottish Div Two) This was another end of season groundhopper outing in a minibus which started out in the West Midlands, but I boarded in Lancaster. Nice sunny day, not too warm, and we detoured to Forfar Athletic's impressive ground on the way. Brechin's Glebe Park had a very homely look about it at that time, before the overbearing end stand was built.
May 7 Brechin.jpg

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
unnamed.jpg

RETRO Part 2.

Saturday @ 15-00.
Scottish Cup Final.
Celtic 1 v 0 Rangers.

@ Hampden Park.
54,252 ( 70,000 sold ).
images.jpg-GW301H234.jpg

Celtic - Peter Latchford , Danny McGrain , Pat Stanton , Johannes Edvaldsson , Rod MacDonald , Roy Aitken , Andy Lynch ( 1 Pen ) , Alfie Conn , Paul Wilson , Kenny Dalglish , Joe Craig.
Manager - Jock Stein.

Penalty incident 1' 56'' . Harsh but fair.

Rangers - Stewart Kennedy , Sandy Jardine , John Greig , Colin Jackson . Tom Forsyth , Alex MacDonald , Kenny Watson , Johnny Hamilton , Derek Johnstone , Derek Parlane , Tommy McLean.
Sub - Chris Robertson for Watson.
Manager -Jock Wallace.

Referee - Bob Valentine.

First of all lets consider the pathetic attendance , only 4 years earlier May 5 1973 I'd been the previous 'Old Firm' Final when 134,000 tickets were sold and some 122,714 turned up because of bad weather !

For this one SFA Secretary Willie Allan said 70,000 had been sold , again it had been a lousy day in Glasgow but the main problem with this Final and the loss of 64,000 people in 4 years was the televising live of it. This was the first time since 1955 it was live on TV and it was the start of the rot.
Nowadays its circa 50,000 per Final.

Ronnie Glavin had been injured playing for Scotland and was missing for Celtic , Edvaldsson came in at centre half with Pat Stanton moving to sweeper , this was to give the full backs room to attack , the plan worked well.

The game was poor and it hinged on one incident , in the 20th minute Roddy MacDonald headed the ball down for 'Shuggy' to shoot from close range , it was cleared off the line by Derek Johnstone but the referee said handball and awarded a penalty. Strongly denied by Johnstone and the 'Gers'.
GW751H490.jpg

No matter about the rights and wrongs of the decision , Celtic had a problem , regular penalty taker Glavin was missing , injured while playing for Scotland. Kenny was not confident , his recent record was iffy so in stepped Andy Lynch.
Taken 2 in his career , at Hearts with a record of missed 2.
No need to worry he fired it home left footed , never a problem :rolleyes:.,
GW768H544.jpg

There was not much action left in the remaining 70 minutes , it was poor stuff with 'Shuggy' / MacDonald completely snuffing out Johnstone / Parlane.
The nearest we got to another goal was when Rangers substitute Chris Robertson rattled the bar with a header on 80 mins.

So from 'Treble' winners in 1975 / 76 Rangers became nothing winners in 1976 / 77.

It was Jock Steins last trophy success for the 'Celts' , this and the 'Championship'.

Alfie Conn was the first post wars player to play for Clorionda & Thisbe and also he had a winners Cup medal with both.
Don't know how many others have but the stand out is Steven Pressley , winners medal for both the 'Old Firm' ( 2 mins for Rangers ) and also a winners medal for Hearts.
Nearly had a fourth when unused sub for losers Falkirk in 2009.
Over to prorege for post war players with winners medals for the 'Old Firm'.

Rushing off at the Final Whistle to Mount Florida for the specials into Central , I usually got the 17-30 to Crewe with ease . That Hi Viz BR bib worked wonders with the BR Police and usually shered straight to front and to trains 🤫.
But I missed the best of the action after the whistle , a new game was in motion , 'Find the medal' . Kenny had lost his :ROFLMAO:
GW830H660.jpg

44 x games , 0 x 0 - 0's , 6 x double's db3wbzg-0420b4f8-90d8-4f2b-a68a-94ed3034e76a.gif 15 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities ).

1966 Stoke 1 v 0 Everton.
1971 Stoke 3 v 2 Everton.
2001 Turkmenistan 1 v 0 Taiwan ( 17-30 ).
2001 Jordan 1 v 1 Uzbekistan ( 20-00 ).
2017 Sandweiler 1 v 2 Mamer ( 16-00 ).
2017 Jeunesse D'Esch 0 v 3 Dudelange ( 19-00 )

----On May 7, 1945, the German High Command, in the person of General Alfred Jodl, signs the unconditional surrender of all German forces, East and West, at Reims, in northeastern France-----
-------------------SURRENDER.jpg

Last edited:

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1978 Ipswich Town 1 Arsenal 0 crowd 100,000
FA Cup Final, Wembley Stadium

Also at this one, as a 14 year old I thought I‘d won the lottery when I won two tickets for the final in a competition, even featured in the local paper but they’d put a negative slant on it in that there was a row over tickets being allocated to companies not associated with the FA, had to learn quickly. My brother and I went and one of the tickets was partially obstructed by a post so I made him sit in it, what a nice child I was. The game itself was a bit of a blur but obviously we were pleased Ipswich won as we perceived them as underdogs even though they weren’t really, it was the atmosphere that was special, three years later I experienced England v Scotland at the same venue and that was even better but at the time it was almost overwhelming seeing so many people in one place, took ages to get out of the car park but it was worth it.

2000 Wimbledon 2 Aston Villa 2 crowd 19,188
Premier League, Selhurst Park

Last ever home game in the Premier League, a few years earlier the same game would barely have got 5,000 there and Villa would have rolled over and died but things had changed and the visitors brought 4,000 fans and this upped the ante and we ended up lucky to get a point when we needed more. An Ugo Ehiogu own goal after 15 minutes gave us an early boost but Villa were chasing a UEFA cup spot and fought back to take the lead with goals by Lee Hendrie(54)and Dion Dublin(74) before a last gasp John Hartson equaliser left us hanging on, unfortunately we didn’t take the chance to escape and defeat at Southampton sealed our fate.

2011 Fleetwood 0 AFC Wimbledon 2 crowd 4,112
Conference play off semi final 1st leg, Highbury, Fleetwood

Fabulous Friday night at Fleetwood as 650 away fans who had made the long trip north through the traffic, many staying in Blackpool for the weekend, saw their team come away with a superb result in this first leg clash. The home side with their star studded side backed by a moneyman were slight favourites going into the game and we would have been happy with a draw or even a narrow defeat but in the event played superbly and scored twice through Luke Moore(38) and Kaid Mohamed(48)to seal a superb win. We were concerned that if Fleetwood scored first in the return it could be nervy but we ended up winning 6-1 to set up a final with Luton who had overcome Wrexham in the other semi final.62FBBC2B-EB94-406B-8484-23A694142117.jpeg

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
I seem to have confused May 6th with the 7th, nurse where’s me pills?

barnetbee

Youth Team Regular
1988 - Enfield 0 Telford United 0 (FA Trophy Final) Wembley
1990 - Aveley 3 St Albans City 0 (Vauxhall league AC Delco Cup final) @ Dagenham
1994 - Tottenham Hotspur 1 QPR 2 (FA Premier league)
2001 - Cockfosters 1 Harefield United 0 (Spartan South Midlands league)
2011 - Barnet 1 Port Vale 0 (Npower league 2)
2012 - Witham Town 2 Burnham Ramblers 1 (Essex Senior league cup final) @ Brimsdown/Enfield 1893 ground
2013 - Chessington & Hook 1 Badshot Lea 1 (Combined Counties league premier Division)
2014 - Cockfosters 2 Holmer Green 2 (Spartan South Midlands league premier Division)
2016 - Codicote 3 Harefield United 2 (Spartan South Midlands league Division 1)

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Football

1979 Billericay Town - 6 Chertsey Town - 0 Athenian League

1983 Bowers United - 0 Canvey Island - 3 Essex Senior League

1984 Didcot Town - 0 Moreton Town - 0 Hellenic League Premier Division
Wimbledon - 1 Gillingham - 3 (6,009) Canon League Division Three
Haywards Heath - 1 Wigmore Athletic - 1 AET Sussex County League Division Two Cup Final @ Burgess Hill Town

1985 Wisbech Town - 0 Gainsborough Trinity - 2 East Midlands Floodlit League

1986 Wroxham - 2 Poringland United - 1 Anglian Combination Premier Division

1987 Norwich City Reserves - 2 Tottenham Hotspur Reserves - 1 Football Combination

1990 Wroxham Reserves - 3 Buxton - 2 Broadland Cup Final

2008 Hempnall - 1 Watton United - 0 Mummery Cup Final @ Wroxham FC

2011 Spixworth - 2 Acle United - 3 Anglian Combination Premier Division

2015 Brandon Town Ladies - 3 Lynn Ladies - 2 Norfolk Women's League Division Two

2018 Hemsby - 2 Hingham Athletic - 4 (25) Anglian Combination Division Three
Great Yarmouth Town - 0 Gorleston - 1 (392) Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division

Running

1994 Flegg High School 5 miles 27-19 3rd

2000 Norfolk Ekiden Relay - Royal Norfolk Showground (10km leg) 38-22 15th team (City College Norwich)

2003 Eastern Veterans League - King's Lynn 1500 metres 5-05.0 2nd

2011 Norwich parkrun (36) 24-28 98th

2012 Breackland 10km - Croxton 44-41 111th

2016 Catton parkrun (135) 26-28 145th

NeilH

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Cambridge City
1983 Cambridge City 2 Andover 1
Southern League Southern Division

1984 Chelsea 3 Barnsley 1
Division 2

My one and only visit to Stamford Bridge, stood at the old Shed End, Chelsea promoted.

Soham Town Rangers 1 Cambridge City 4

Cambridgeshire Invistation Cup final

City add the CIC to the Southern Division title. Played at STR.

1988 Burnley 1 Cardiff City 2

Division 4

Another of my Cardiff away trips, my friend Terry had secured seats in the Directors box as we were there 'officially' as scouts for Cambridge United. However, joined the Cardiff faithful on the large terrace opposite the stand.

2000 Cambridge Cosmos 2 Fulbourn Institute Sunday 3

My final ever Sunday League game for Cosmos, I was captain for the day. We needed a point to secure promotion and were 2-1 up with 5 minutes to go. However, two late goals gave the points to Fulbourn and we had missed out. Played at Pembroke College in Cambridge.

2005 Cambridge City 0 Eastbourne Borough 3
Conference South play off

The first of many play off defeats for City to come over following years, City froze on the day and Eastbourne had a comfortable win.

2008 Leiston 2 Brentwood Town 2
East Anglian Cup final

I had secured Cornard United's ground for the final to ensure the competition was completed within the season. Leiston won the cup after a penalty shoot out.

2016 Cambridge City reserves 0 Wisbech St Mary 5
Cambs League Premier Division

With the usual Cambridge college venue being used for cricket City hired Huntingdon Town's Jubilee Park for this match.

2018 Hartley Wintney 1 Cambridge City 0
Southern League Eastern Division play off final

A lovely sunny day, a group of us travelled down on the train. Time for plenty of pre-match refreshment before watching City lose yet another play off match, although we had reached a final for the first time.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1983, Saturday

Scottish League Division One
Alloa Athletic v St Johnstone, 1-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 2985
At Recreation Park, Alloa

It was the penultimate day of the season and three teams, St Johnstone, Hearts and Clydebank, were contesting the two promotion places from Division One.

Going into the game the table showed:

Saints P37 PTS 52
Herz P37 PTS 50
Bankies P37 PTS 48

A draw for St Johnstone would seal promotion back to the top flight. A generation of Saints fans my age had grown up with the club in the top Division, reaching the League Cup Final in 1969, finishing third in 1971, reaching the 3rd Round of the UEFA Cup in 1971/2 and qualifying for the first Premier Division in 1975. Relegation in 1976 was followed by several seasons of mid table obscurity before a concerted promotion challenge was mounted in 1982/3. Around 2000 Saints fans travelled to Alloa that day, hoping to see their team reclaim their place in the Premier Division.

Alloa: Donald Hunter, Martin, Larry Haggart, Kenny Thomson, Willie Garner, Davie Houston, Alex Grant, Smith, Lennie McComb, Davie Lloyd and Stuart Munro. Subs Alan Holt, Campbell
Saints: Mike McDOnald, Rab Kilgour, Don McVicar, Stuart Beedie, Alex Caldwell, Drew Rutherford, Ian Gibson, John Brogan, Raymie Blair, Derek Addison, Andy Brannigan. Subs Jim Morton and John Pelosi
Ref: EK Brolls (Bishopbriggs)

Recreation Park is seldom an easy venue to visit. Alloa were having a decent season and would ultimately finish 6th in the 14 team League. Their star was left-sided player Stuart Munro who would go on to give excellent service to Rangers over many years. Allao used him min a more forward role than Rangers who primarily utilised him at left back. Larry Haggart was an Alloa stalwart over many years. Larry’s son was an outstanding schoolboy international and Celtic youth player before being brutally murdered at the age of 15 in 1996. Up front Alloa had the veteran Lennie McComb and a youngster called Davie Lloyd – the latter would go on to play for St Johnstone and eventually manage teams like Alfreton and Denaby in England.

The big crowd generated a great atmosphere inside the Recs. The day had begun with torrential rain causing a few postponements and abandonments, so the pitch was slick and greasy. It made for great football. The first half was breathless with chances at both ends but nobody to apply the finishing touch.

The visiting fans were stunned when Alloa went ahead in 51 minutes. Arthur Grant sent over an inswinging corner. Saints goalie Mike McDoinald was notorious for being hopeless with these. Munro headed on and big Willie Garner headed into the net.

Saints rallied and laid siege to the Alloa goal. The Perth side had two contrasting strikers. John Brogan was all craft and guile with brilliant awareness and agility. Andy Brannigan, a local Perth lad, was more of the brienging battering ram type. They complemented each other well that season – Brogan scored 36, many from feeding off the scraps from Brannigan, who chipped in with 9 himself.

It was to be Brannigan who proved to be the Saints hero with a late strike to secure the point necessary for Saints to go up – his overhead kick took an eternity to loop over Hunter and into the net.

The local constabulary lined up to try and prevent a pitch invasion from the Saints fans but were trampled underfoot as the delirious fans rushed to mob their heroes.

Alloa v St J Prog 83.jpgAlloa v St J Pivs 82-3.jpg

May 7 1983.jpg

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 Warrington & District League Premier Division Newton v Interox 2-0

Vista Park in its dying days. Some terracing remained and footings where there was once cover but not much else. They were still issuing programmes though, which was a rarity indeed in the W& D League. Then as now the standard in this league is pretty good at the top level.

1993 Manweb Cymru Alliance Lex XI v Wrexham Reserves 0-0

1994 Northern Premier League Division One Warrington Town v Alfreton Town Lost 0-2

1996 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Brymbo v Buckley Town 3-1

1997 Read Construction Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division

Corwen Amateurs v Gresford Athletic 6-5

1998 Manchester League Premier Division Tottington United v Atherton Town 2-0

2000 Welsh Cup Final (@ Wrexham FC) Bangor City v Cwmbran Town 1-0

Northern Counties East League Premier Division Selby Town v Sheffield 2-0

North West Counties League Division Two Nelson v Warrington Town Won 3-4

This win against fellow promotion contenders was in the balance throughout as the lead changed hands a couple of times. The win secured us promotion though and the following midweek the title was also our when Atherton LR lost at home to Alsager, they being the only side that could still catch us at that point.

2002 Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Division Two Johnstown v New Brighton 5-3

2003 Frank Armitt Liverpool County Combination Mossley Hill Athletic v Ford Motors 2-6

West Yorkshire League Premier Division Aberford Albion v Sandy Lane 3-0

West Yorkshire League Premier Division Boroughbridge v Ossett Common Rovers 3-0

Midland Combination Division Three Studley Athletic v BNJS Mann & Co. 3-7

West Yorkshire League Premier Division Rothwell Athletic v Leeds Metropolitan Carnegie 1-1

2011 Hope Valley League Premier Division Furness Vale v Dronfield Woodhouse (T257) 3-6

Pin Point Recruitment Northern Alliance Premier Division
Hebburn Reyrolle v Percy Main Amateurs 1-2

Monkwearmouth Charity Cup Final (@ Ryhope CW)

Ryhope Colliery Welfare v Boldon Community Association 3-1

2013 Clwyd Cup Quarter Final Second Leg St. Asaph v AFC Brynford 2-1 (Aggregate 2-1)

2016 Kershaw Cambridgeshire County League Premier Division Eaton Socon v Hardwick 1-1

Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Harpenden Town v Holmer Green 3-1

Spartan South Midlands League Division Two CleanSlate v Totternhoe 1-3
Corwen Amateurs
1620372993747.png

Selby Town
1620373048988.png

Mossley Hill Athletic
1620373078465.png

Aberford Albion
1620373109014.png

Rothwell Town
1620373172875.png

Furness Vale
1620373200323.png

Hebburn Reyrolle
1620373230374.png

Ryhope Colliery Welfare
1620373289340.png

Harpenden Town
1620373320725.png

CleanSlate FC
1620373354653.png

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1977 Wimbledon 1 Yeovil Town 0 crowd 2,740
Southern League, Plough Lane, Wimbledon

A third successive Southern League title is almost in the bag, and the BBC cameras are there for Football Focus as the talk is that we might get promoted as there have been five years since the last club made the step up, Hereford in 1972. My last ever Southern league game involving Wimbledon saw legendary striker Ian Cooke(297 goals in 615 appearances)fittingly score the only goal after 35 minutes, his last for the club as he didn’t want to turn full time as he had a good job in the bank, he eventually joined Slough and got a well deserved testimonial against Crystal Palace. The win all but seals the title which is confirmed when Yeovil beat Kettering 5-1 the following Wednesday. Not sure what would have happened if we hadn’t replaced Workington, possibly the team would have broken up and we would still be scratching around in the lower echelons, re election really was a lottery, not for nothing was it known as the old pals act.

1985 Lille 1 Olympique Marseille 1 crowd 4,500
Stade Grimponprez Jooris, Lille, France

Small crowd for a tense relegation battle, for me the highlight was seeing Laurie Cunningham turn out for Marseille, who knew that within three years he would have come on as sub for Wimbledon at Wembley then tragically lose his life in a car accident in Madrid. Marc Pascal gave OM the lead after 37 minutes, finally cancelled out by a late equaliser three minutes from time by Dusan Savic as both sides just stayed above the drop zone. Harsh to judge Cunningham on one appearance but he didn’t look as good as Monaco’s winger Daniel Bravo, mind you Monaco were a much stronger side than Marseille at the time.
884C6184-84AD-4286-8932-DCA557A1C22F.jpeg
2007 Stevenage 3 Kidderminster 2 crowd 53,262
FA Trophy Final, Wembley Stadium

Also at this record crowd for a Trophy final along with others from this forum no doubt, went along to check out the new ground as much as anything else but turned out to be a decent game too.

WorksopBlade

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Worksop Town
Sheffield United

Sheffield United 1-2 Swindon Town

League 1 Playoff Semi-Final 1st Leg
Ground: Bramall Lane
Attendance: 20890

Blades Lineup:
Mark Howard, Kieron Freeman, John Brayford, Jay McEverley, Bob Harris, Ryan Flynn, Chris Basham, Paul Coutts, Jamie Murphy, Jason Holt, Steven Davies

Blades Subs:
Craig Alcock, Michael Doyle, Stefan Scougall, Matt Done, Marc McNulty, Iain Turner, Che Adams

Blades Scorer:
Kieron Freeman

Swindon Lineup:
Wes Foderingham, Nathan Thompson, Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull, Nathan Byrne, Massimo Luongo, Yaser Kasim, Ben Gladwin, Sam Ricketts, Jermaine Hylton, Michael Smith

Swindon Subs:
Andy Williams, Johnathan Obika, John Swift, Jack Barthram, Anton Rodgers, Lee Marshall, Tyrell Belford

Swindon Scorers:
Sam Ricketts, Nathan Byrne

Dribble!

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
1988 - Bradford City 2 Ipswich Town 3 - Division Two
2001 - AFC Sudbury 3 Lowestoft Town 4 - Suffolk Premier Cup Final @Felixstowe and Walton United
then on to Portman Road for:
Ipswich Town 2 Manchester City 1 - Premier League - Ipswich in to Europe and City relegated!
2011 - Leicester City 4 Ipswich Town 2 - Championship
2016 - Codicote 3 Hatfield Town 2 - Spartan South Midlands League, Division One
2017 - SAD Villaverde-San Andres 0 CF Trival Valderas 3 - Tercera Division Group 7 -
Estadio Boettichan - small but welcoming
sp1.jpgsp2.jpg
sp3.jpgsp4.jpg
2018 - Ipswich Wanderers 0 Fakenham Town 1 - Eastern Counties League
2019 - Ipswich Town Women 8 Needham Market Women 0 - Suffolk FA Cup Final @Portman Road

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock