May 4th

prorege

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1974, Saturday

Scottish League Division One
Hearts v Clyde, 0-0, H.T. 0-0, Att 5341

The Scottish Cup Final was being played at Hampden between Celtic and Dundee United, but I was at Tynecastle for a more mundane fixture between Hearts and Clyde.

The Bully Wee’s First Division status was hanging by a thread – they required a point from the match to avoid relegation and consign East Fife to the drop.

Clyde’s star had waned considerably in recent times. Twice Scottish Cup winners, as recently as 1958, they had finished 3rd in the League in the late 60s. Only a “One City One Club” rule prevented them from taking a place in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup. The heart was ripped out of their community by wholesale urban “regeneration” in the late 60s and 70s. They were relegated in 1972 but gamely bounced back at the first attempt. Now Stan Anderson’s men were staring at the abyss again. Would it be Ibrox and Parkhead next season? Ir would it be Cliftonhill and Stair Park?

Hearts: David Graham, Dave Clunie, Jim Jefferies, Jim Cant, John Gallagher, Jim Brown, Tommy Murray, Donald Ford, Drew Busby, John Stevenson, Rab Prentice. Subs Willie Gibson and Donald Park
Bully Wee: Phil Cairney, Jim Burns, John Burns, John McHugh, Willie McVie, Alan Swan, Dom Sullivan, Sam Miller, Bobby Ferris, Brian Ahern, Peter Boyle. Subs Eddie Anderson, Gerry Marshall
Ref: R Marshall (Clydebank)

East Fife Manager Frank Christie was in the Tynecastle stand to watch events unfold. Clyde came for a point and were content to allow Hearts to dominate possession. The Clyde defence was rock solid with stalwarts like Jim Burns and John McHugh using all their experience to keep things tight. Rab Prentice was causing most of the threat down Hearts left. Clyde’s Jim Burns twigged that and took him out with a crunching foul just after the half hour – Burns was booked and Prentice contributed little more to the match.

Willie McVie joined Burns in the book for a dreadful challenge on Busby. As the second half wore on it was apparent it would take a blunder or a real moment of magic to break the deadlock. Neither happened and the last ten minutes were played out with little happening. Clyde kept the ball in their own half and Hearts looked frightened to approach them.

IT ended goalless to the delight of the hundred or so Clyde fans brave enough to show colours on a visit to Tynecastle. Clyde stayed up for one more year.

Hearts v Clyde 73-4 prog.jpgMay 4 1974.jpg

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 Derbyshire Senior Cup Final Second Leg

Stapenhill v Matlock Town Won 0-1 (Aggregate Won 1-3)

1993 Bass North West Counties League Division One Nantwich Town v Salford City 0-0

1994 General Motors Vauxhall Conference Northwich Victoria v Dover Athletic Lost 0-1

1995 Interlink Express Midland Alliance Knypersley Victoria v Shifnal Town 2-3

1996 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Rhydymwyn v Knighton Town 4-2

The first of three home Rhydymwyn games in just four days

Pyke Cup Final (@ Vauxhall GM FC) Heswall v Poulton Victoria 0-1

Heritage Homes Eryri Shield Semi-final Deiniolen v Llanrug United 2-3

Sadly a ground no longer used for Saturday football although it is still there as far as I know. It was one of those Welsh gems, and possibly one of a kind, being literally cut into the side of the hill at one end so from above you almost looked straight down onto the playing surface. It was very narrow with just a few yards between penalty area and touchline, and about a foot beyond the touchline to the steep banked cutting and the inset end.

1999 Manchester League Division One Breightmet United v Whalley Range 4-1

2000 Carlsberg West Cheshire League Division Three Pavilions v Manweb 0-4

Midland Football Combination Division One Wilmcote Sports & Social v Rugby Town 0-2

Express & Star League Premier Division Bromyard Town v Bustleholme 0-3

2004 Coors Winnington Park Mid Cheshire League Division One Daten v Bollington Athletic 1-1

2006 Nizam-Druid Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division
Cefn United v Llay Welfare 2-0

One of four grounds I saw Cefn United play in just a few seasons. Can’t remember which one this was though

2010 Welsh National League Wrexham Area Division One Garden Village Youth v Llanuwchllyn 5-1

2013 Mercian Regional League Division One Meole Brace v Ketley Town (T335) 2-11 (eleven)

Roden Cup Final (@ Grindleford FC) Bradwell Reserves v Baslow 0-1

Central Midlands League Black Dragon North Division Welbeck Welfare v Phoenix Sports & Social 0-8

A return but to the new ground – a very friendly club. The old ground was still there, but the mines opposite were now just a scar on the landscape having been closed down and all demolished.

2017 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Ysceifiog Won 6-1

2019 Monkwearmouth Charity Cup Final (@ Silksworth Colliery Welfare)

Silksworth Colliery Welfare v Richmond Town 1-0
Deinolen
1620113866743.png

Bromyard Town
1620113895770.png

Daten
1620113986878.png

Meole Brace
1620114024251.png

Grindleford
1620114056592.png

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
depositphotos_99627586-stock-photo-lets-start-again-handwritten-on.jpg

RETRO Part 2.

Friday @ 18-00.
East Germany tier 1 .
1 FC Lokomotive Leipzig 2 v 2 Hansa Rostock.

@ Bruno Plache Stadium.
-untitled.png-20170723_161801.jpg

Loko' - Rene Muller , Matthias Lindner , Ronald Kreer , Frank Edmond , Uwe Bredow , Jorg Wunderlich , Heiko Schulz , Matthias Liebers , Olaf Marschall , Bernd Hobsch , Damian Halata (1).
Subs - Stefan Marx for Edmond , Jurgen Rische (1) for Bredow.
Manager - Gunter Bohme.

Mannschaftskarte-1Fc-Lok-Leipzig-Saison-1989-90.jpg-V-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1989-0810-308,_Mannschaftsfoto_FC_Hansa_Rostock.jpg

Hansa - Jens Kunath , Frank Rillich , Heiko Marz , Hilmar Weilandt , Jens Wahl (1) , Axel Schutz , Juri Schlunz , Andreas Babendererde , Volker Rohrich ( Pen) , Rainer Jarohs , Flkorian Weichart.
Subs - Artur Ulrich for Rillich , Henri Fuchs for Weichart.
Manager - Werner Voigt.

Referee - Klaus Scheurell.

There was a regular tram to the ground from the main railway station ( Every 10 mins / 25 min journey with a short walk to ground ).

The teams were locked in mid table with nothing to play for , 12 months later they would have been scrapping for every point. The next season was the last ever GDR season and positions were worth levels in the new combined German Pyramid for 1991 / 92. Both were to end up in Bundesliga 2 in 12 months time.

Having said there was nothing to play for it was a cracking game with Hansa the better team.
They were leading twice but Leipzig equalized for the second time in the 88th min through Rische.

Unfortunately for their season in Bundesliga 2 in 1991 / 92 Loko' were forced to move out of the homely Bruno Plache Stadium and into the monstrosity that was the Central Stadium.
They also changed their name to VfB Leipzig and they spent a season in the top tier in 1993/94 before spiralling downwards to tier 4 by 2001.
Eventually going bankrupt in 2004 with that seasons results being annulled and the club being dissolved.

Tke new Loko' Leipzig club in the Regionalliga at the moment are a fans club formed in 2004/05 which started in tier 11. They in fact won the Regionalliga N/Ost in 2019/20 but there was no promotion due to Covid and are still there.

They are a club I cannot get a feel for , they bought their way up 3 divisions in 2005/06 by buying out SSV Torgau for €48,000 and fulfilling their fixtures in the 7th tier.
Then they were at it again in 2018 when they announced a merger with VfB Leipzig in order to claim VfB's titles as their own.
The fans even claim they were formed in 1966 and not 2004/05 ?

For the stattos , any better attendances at the level anywhere out there than below ?
In their first season 2004 / 05 they had 5,000+ at their first competitive game , a R1 Leipzig City Cup match.
On October 9 , 2004 for a tier 11 ( 3rd District class ) home game at the Central Stadium they had an attendance of 12,421 when they entertained Eintracht Grossdeuben Reserves 😲.

What a city , these shysters and Red Bull,

1989/1990. Final league placings and average spectators. ( Ta RSSSF).
1. SG Dynamo Dresden / 20.220
2. FC Karl Marx Stadt / 8.631
3. 1. FC Magdeburg / 8.577
4. FC Berlin / 5.477
5. FC Carl Zeiss Jena / 4.372
6. FC Hansa Rostock / 10.649
7. BSG Energie Cottbus / 11.055
8. 1. FC Lokomotive Leipzig / 4.738
9. Hallescher FC Chemie / 7.615
10. BSG Stahl Brandenburg / 7.192
11. FC Rot-Weiß Erfurt / 5.504
12. Eissenhüttenstädter FC Stahl / 5.292
13. FC Wismut Aue / 7.011
14. BSG Fort. Bischofswerda / 4.375

49 x games , 0 x 0 - 0's , 5 x double 's 2 x trebles. beware_idiots.jpg 7 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities ).

1974 Celtic 3 v 0 Dundee United.
2007 Senec 1 v 5 Nitra.
2014 Chaves 3 v 2 Portimonense.

----------------------1982-------HMS Sheffield hit by Exocet--------20 RIP----------------------
-1280px-HMS_Sheffield_(D80).jpg-220px-Hundimiento_del_destructor_HMS_Sheffield.jpg

Attachments

• 1280px-HMS_Sheffield_(D80).jpg
    1280px-HMS_Sheffield_(D80).jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1280px-HMS_Sheffield_(D80).jpg
    1280px-HMS_Sheffield_(D80).jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
1973 - Ipswich Town 2 Norwich City 1 - Texaco Cup Final, 1st Leg - still angry that my parents would let me go with them to the second leg!
1985 - Southampton 3 Ipswich Town 0 - Division One
1987 - Sheffield United 0 Ipswich Town 0 - Division Two
1991 - Ipswich Town 3 Leicester City 2 - Division Two -
Hundreds of City fans, intent on trouble - dressed as Hari Krishna supporters! City were in danger of being relegated.
1996 - Glentoran 1 Glenavon 0 - Irish Cup final - @Windsor Park
2013- Burnley 2 Ipswich Town 0 - Championship
2016 - Leiston 1 Lowestoft Town 3 - Suffolk Premier Cup Final - @Portman Road

andy smith

Junior Team Sub
1973 - Ipswich Town 2 Norwich City 1 - Texaco Cup Final, 1st Leg - still angry that my parents would let me go with them to the second leg!
I was also at this game, also went to the 2nd leg at Carrow Road where Town had another 2-1 win.....

Chris1963

First Team Sub

Why were you angry with your parents for letting you go with them to the second leg, given that (as Andy Smith has said) Town also won that game?

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1985 Wimbledon 2 Leeds United 2 crowd 6,638
Division Two, Plough Lane, Wimbledon

My final trip home for the weekend from my year in France gave me a chance to see two Wimbledon games in three days, at home to Leeds and away to Barnsley, as well as say a quick hello to my parents. In those pre play off days Leeds were still just in with a chance of going up if they won all their last three games and others dropped points so they had a couple of thousand fans there for this game and they roared their approval as Ian Baird gave them a 16th minute lead. After the break we managed to miss a penalty before two goals from Sanchez(63)and Winterburn(73)put us ahead but Baird equalised five minutes later and we had to settle for a draw which all but ended Leeds’chances of going up. As a postcript, on the way back from Barnsley 2 days later, some of our fans gave it the big un to Leeds fans at Wakefield as the train pulled out only for it to come to an abrupt halt after which the Leeds fans en masse pressed their faces against the glass in a successful attempt to tell us not to try it on with them, massive relief when the train eventually got going again, probably about three minutes which seemed like three hours.

1991 Wimbledon 0 Crystal Palace 3 crowd 10,092
Division One, Plough Lane, Wimbledon

Last ever first team game at Plough Lane, a few reserve and youth games were played for some years after, but permit me to shed a tear at the passing of the ground where I and some of my relatives spent their childhood. I took along a girl I knew from college who was a Palace fan and she did a good job at trying not to be too smug about the result as she knew I was more into football than she was. Classic game of two halves, we battered them for the first 45 minutes but couldn’t break their massed defence including our ex player Andy Thorn. Inevitably they scored with their first attack, Ian Wright on 54 minutes before he scored a 40 yarder on the hour. On 72 minutes Wright completed his hattrick to emphasise the difference between the two sides was a decent striker. At the time rumours abounded that we were moving but nothing had been confirmed until the season ended, a very sad end of an era.

2019 Bradford City 0 AFC Wimbledon 0 crowd 17,817
League One, Valley Parade, Bradford

A neutral would probably have found this game boring but for already relegated Bradford entertaining us and 1,500 away fans who desperately needed just a point to stay up on the last day it was tense as hell as the game meandered to a draw. With a 5.30pm kick off I had got the early train up in the hope of seeing Farsley Celtic in a play off game but that never materialised so I settled for getting off the train early and taking a look at the ground before proceeding on to Bradford. Given that we had been 10 points clear at the bottom of the table in February to need just a point to survive was little short of miraculous, helped by Aaron Ramsdale in goal(now in the Premier League at Sheffield Utd after an £18.5 million transfer from Bournemouth)and Steve Seddon, both on loan, we somehow managed to scrape enough points to survive with a point and the celebrations went on long and loud as Wally Downes’boys lived to fight another day.7D1FFBD9-733D-49BC-BCEF-338723E0B682.jpegE8F604F7-B754-43C5-A5DA-6B86F60EA770.jpeg

Last edited:

Pawn Of Prophecy

Reserve Team Hopeful

CCL Division 1

Spelthorne Sports 3 Farleigh Rovers 1

SS goals on 44, 62 and 68. FR consolation on 86.

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Think there's an n't missing.

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
Yes, the thought did occur to me but Dribble is normally very careful with his typing.
Thank you Hoddy - yes still in shock from missing the away leg that my spelling is not up to scratch!

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1981 - Che Guevara XI v Entertainers XI - linesman. A charity match played at Hurlingham Stadium, no other memories.
1982 - Harrow Borough Res v Feltham Res (Suburban North) - linesman.
1991 - Charlton Athletic v West Ham United (Division 2) - reserve official, att. 16137. I believe this was Charlton's last 'home' game at Selhurst Park.
1993 - Crystal Palace 'A' v Brentford Res (Capital) - linesman, played at Sutton United.
1994 - Colchester United Res v Cambridge United Res (Capital) - linesman. Still working in town so only partial mileage counted - Liverpool St - Colchester - Branksome = 216.25 miles.
1995 - Creekmoor SC v Bere Regis (Dorset Sunday 3 P&W) - referee.
2003 - Manor Sports v Railway Tavern (Dorset Sunday 3/4 League Cup Semi Final) - referee.
2014 - Victoria Cross v AFC Burns Lettings (Bournemouth Sunday 2) - referee.
2018 - Brockenhurst v Blackfield & Langley (Wessex Premier) - observer, att. 127. This match had been postponed in somewhat controversial circumstances about a week earlier, as a result all four officials were changed.
2019 - Linby CW v Holbrook St Michaels (Central Midlands South) - observer. Nottingham - Hucknall - Beeston = 19.75 miles.

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Thank you Hoddy - yes still in shock from missing the away leg that my spelling is not up to scratch!
Very traumatic for a youngster , will never go away just fade with the years. The nightmares will get less as will the panic attacks.
Get well soon.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks