May 30th

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Friday 30th May 2014

England 3 Peru 0 (83,578)

My Partner's 50th Birthday and She'd never seen Peru play before!
On the way down we stopped for a celebratory drink at Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, St. Albans.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Saturday 30th May 1981 Wales v USSR 0-0
Ditto , made the long trek over to Wrexham.
Interesting to note only 2 Russians in the starting XI, 5 x Uraine, 2 x Georgia, 1 Belarussian & 1 x Armenian.

WALES-v-USSR-30-May-1981-FOOTBALL-PROGRAMME-WORLD-CUP-QUALIFIER-at-WREXHAM
084. Oleg Blokhin | My Football Facts

Warwickian

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Leamington
I was also at the Radcliffe Olympic v. Retford game in 2001 which was memorable for the vicious nature of the match!

Tuesday 30th May 2006
Irvine Meadow XI 2 Neilston 0
Evening Times Cup.Semi-Final

I always enjoy an end of season trip upto Scotland to see some Junior football but after all the reorganisation it might not happen again.
This match was for the Evening Times Cup which is for the divisional winners and cup winners in the West Region(I think!). A competitive match with Irvine winning by a goal in each half with Neilston ending the match with ten men. Meadow Park is an excellent ground with a decent seated stand on one side and terracing all around the rest of the ground.An excellent well maintained ground.
Attendance of approx. 350 for this match.

Mark

Junior Team Starter
Friday 31 May 2003
Jupiter Hammerheads 9-5 Brevard County Manatees

Florida State League (high A baseball)
Attendance: 2,974
Prog: $1

The home side won courtesy of a six run spree in the sixth inning. The activities took place at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Florida, on the fringe of the Palm Beach area and which had a planned community feel about it.

We would have driven to Jupiter just for the game and were staying in Miami Beach at the time, feeling somewhat out of place during the first weekend when the city was hosting a massive hip hop festival that resulted in our hotel temporarily setting up metal detectors at its entrances.

The ballpark was a recent construction, smart and comfortable, but also roofless and a bit bland. It was shared, and I think still is shared, by major league tenants Florida Marlins and St Louis Cardinals, who had separate clubhouses along the outfield and both used the site for spring training and their high A minor league teams. This meant that professional baseball would be played at the park almost every day from February to September. Jupiter were affiliated to the Marlins, the other team being the Palm Beach Cardinals. They even shared the same programme - a joint outer shell, with photocopied match-specific pages shoved inside.

I remember the game being well attended. Not only is a near 3,000 declared attendance very good for the Florida State League but many of those people were actually there in person. But then, Friday night is fireworks night in America’s minor leagues and always draws a good crowd.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
1999 - Doncaster Dragons 18 Widnes Vikings 38 - Northern Ford Premiership
My 1st and only visit to Belle View - Attendance 750

Don't really remember much. I had been assigned to report on the game by Wire FM and convinced a Widnes fan to come with me to help me out with my limited Widnes knowledge. I remember it being a massive old style stadium and the game was pretty comfortable for Widnes. Getting back into the car, Man City were losing against Gillingham so listened to the great escape on the way home.

Loiner

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None
1989- SJFA Eastern Div. A. Linlithgow Rose v Edinburgh United 0-0.
1990- SJFA Tayside D1. Dundee North End v Downfield 0-1.
1991- SJFA Ayrshire D1. Ardrossan Winton Rovers v Beith 2-0.
1992- SAFA Inter League Baxter Trophy Final. Lanarkshire & District v Stranraer & District 1-1 (aet) ( Pens 3-5) at Carluke Rovers.
1993 Gavin Dunn Memorial Trophy Final. Blackburn B C v Polbeth B C 1-0 at Stoneyburn.
Scottish U16 Cup SF. Rosyth Recreation v Bothkenna Y M 2-4.
1994-SJFA Central D1. Glasgow Perthshire v Benburb 1-0.
1995- SJFA Central Premier Talent Trophy Qualifier. Cumbernauld United v Ballieston 0-4 at Kilsyth Rangers.
1996- SAFA Eastern U21 Cup Final. Easthouses v Hutchison Vale 3-0 at Whitehill Welfare.
1997- SJFA Central D1 Forth Wanderers v Cambuslang Rangers 2-3.
2001- Welsh National ( Wrexham Area) Premier. Llangollen v Bala Town 3-4.
2002- Catforth & Dist. Summer League. Barron Cup 2nd round. The Plough ( Galgate) v Cadley Rangers 0-4.
2005-Grantham & Dist. Escritt Bennett Cup Final. B G Newark v Buckminster United 1-2 (aet) at Pointon.
2006- Cumberland County Premier. Whitehaven Miners Welfare v Aspatria 2-0 at Aspatria. (reversed fixture).
2011- Double.
Grantham & Dist. Terry Bly Trophy Final. Barrowby v Beehive United 0-1 at Ancaster Rovers.
East Lincs. Comb. D1. Saltfleet United v Holton-le-Clay 1-0.
Rugby League.
1987- Yorkshire League Play Off Final. Queens Park v Upton 12-34 at Normanton.
2009 - Summer Conference Yorkshire Premier. Kippax Knights v East Riding 82-0.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
My dozen for the day commence with Scotland in 1987

Having only returned to work following the Scotland v Brazil game on the Tuesday, I was back on the A74, (I don't think it had received the M by then), on the Saturday - my destination, Beechwood Park, the home of Auckinleck Talbot. Not to see the Talbot though, or at least not to see Talbot at home that day. Instead I would see Talbot on a neutral venue the following day

For the Saturday, Beechwood Park was itself a neutral venue with Annbank United and Cumnock Juniors being the combatants. The match was the Ayrshire Middleton Cup Final, and this was important enough to get 445 watching. Cumnock ended up taking the cup with a 3-1 win

Next up was in 1993, a double header in Denmark, starting with the Superliga game at Sikeborg, where Brondby were the visitors and went home with the points after a 2-0 win. Neither team was in danger of winning the league, and the eight team spring season (Slutspil) had no relegation. I have not recorded the crowd, but I would guess not too many. The Danisih season worked in two parts in those days, with ten teams in the Autumn season (Grundspil) two of which would be relegated to a qualification group trying to return for the following Autumn. My second game of the day was in the qualification league, and featured Viborg beating Esbjerg by 4-0. I have a figure of 1500 shown for that, with Viborg winning promotion at the end of the period, to spend a half season in the Superliga, (they would finish bottom)

In 1997, I was at the Peppard match, already mentioned a few times on this thread.

I may have said in yesterday's sample that I went to Bratislava on the Sunday, I take that back - it was a Saturday. This is because I can now remember some detail. I had met up with another of Cheshire's finest, who in order not to preserve the identity, I will refer to as C. (For clarity, this is not Hoddy). Now C was fairly new to continental travel. I had to tell him that there were alternatives to McDonalds in Bratislava that would not dent his limited budget. This was well before Bratislava had joined the legion of city break destinations. We caught the night train to Prague, where C knew he could get a shower at the station. I had probably missed only one night since my last hotel stay, and so was happy to find a coffee and a sports paper. In those times, buying the sports paper was essential at every stop

C and I were heading to Hradec Kralove, where we would see the already crowned Champions Sparta Praha. I quickly confirmed this, and then glanced at the lower fixtures in those leagues I knew nothing about. What's this in the paper, Olympia Hradec Kralove v Cesky Brod at 10.15? Is there a train to arrive before kick off? Wow, there is - so I rush into the shower area and shout to C that he needs to be on a train in less than ten minutes. Giving him his due, he makes it. We arrive at Hredec Kralove without knowledge of where the ground is, not even certain they do not share, but fortune shines on us again and we spot it on the map, not far from the station. I think we walked, but I know I would have got a taxi if that was going to make a difference. I know we walked back and had a drink and something to eat in the main square, eerily quiet, except the small groups of Sparta fans gathered by the bars, and the police standing just on the edge of the square waiting for trouble to brew.

Both games were home wins, 1-0 to Olympia, 2-1 to Hradec Kralove. I have crowds of 76 and 6000 listed. It cost 10Kr to get into the first game, programme free, and 50Kr at the second, 5Kr for a programme. 55Kr was about £1 in 1999

2003 - A Friday. I have a feeling that after Flensburg, I had taken the train into Hamburg and then gone to a bar (or two) until the early hours of the morning before catching an early train south. I cannot say if any entertainment may have been provided in the bars. I was travelling the length of Germany and across the Austrian border to Lustenau, and would have gone Inter City if possible as, if I remember it, ICE trains still had a considerable surcharge for Interrail ticket holders.[They have scrapped that now in Germany]. I stayed overnight in the area, as I recall that I went out for a few drinks with someone I met at the game, a supporter or official of FC Lustenau 1907. I am sure no entertainment at that bar

The entertainment would have been in the first part of the game, a crucial relegation clash in the second tier. At the start of the day, both teams were in danger, with visitors Worgl in the relegation play-off slot, below Bad Bleiburg on goal difference alone. Lustenau were one point better off, and therefore a draw guaranteed their safety. Wiener Sport Club were already down as the last place of ten.

Lustenau took a two goal lead, but conceded one back just before the break, and an equaliser from the spot soon after. I am sure the news had got through that Bad Bleiburg were losing at home to Untersiebenbrunn, and the game became a little bit less competitive.

Bad Bleiburg survived the relegation play-off, but were taken over by Austria Karnten in the close season, and then played as their reserves, under the name BSV Juniors.

2004 - I went with Paul S to the Millennium stadium, where he was very happy to see Brighton & Hove Albion beat Bristol City 1-0 (65,167). A penalty late in the game, scored by Leon Knight

2009 - This is the game selected for tweet of the day. The games was Debrecen 2-0 Paksi at Debrecen's old Olan Gabor stadion. It was a celebration game as the title had already gone to Debrecen, their fourth title in five years

2012 - England 1-0 Switzerland (3766). U-19 International at Preston North End, part of a UEFA qualifying procedure. £3 to get in, £2.50 for a programme. The goal was scored by Saido Berahino in injury time. He now plays in Belgium and is a full international for Burundi

2019 - The last two for the date were exactly a year ago, with Abbswolf and Kevin joining me at the first one, while Oftenscore6 was at the second. Both matches were at Landesliga level, but both involved teams bidding for a place in the new Regionalliga. The old Regionalliga West was broken up at the end of 2019, with the new Regionalliga being a two stage process, the first stage being leagues in each of the three Western Lander, Salzburg, Tirol and Voralberg, followed by a Spring competition for the top two in each league. The number of promotion places for the Landesliga therefore depended on the number of teams from each area in the old Regionalliga. So in Tirol, the teams needed to finish top four, but in Salzburg it was top three.

First up was Saint Johann in Tirol against Imst. I had chosen my hotel the night before with convenience for this trip in mind. Abbswolf and Kevin travelled further and were already on the train. No left luggage facilities, and no convenient stop en-route, so it was luggage in hand as we wandered through the town. It was quite a damp morning, but we avoided the worst. The bags were taken in as we bought our tickets and returned later.

Many of the games had been played the evening before, with second placed Telfs (58 points) having beaten first placed Hall (64). Both had three to play. Imst were on 46, two behind Zirl, but Zirl had already lost in this round. Wattens II (44, not yet played) and Kematen (46, beat Zirl the night before) were the other contenders. St. Johann-in-Tirol were mid-table.

The ground has an area of low cover, which is set well back from the pitch and backs on to the bar and dressing rooms, and a small seated area as the upper tier behind the goal. When dry, there is good elevated standing along the side opposite the small stand, with a path at the top of the bank.

P1050817 m.JPG

The building behind is filled with climbing walls and similar, partly as a climb training centre. As for the game, it was totally one sided with Imst winning 5-0, three goals before the break. Imst finished the season in third place

Back to the station and on the Salzburg. At least I could easily find a luggage locker here. My hotel was at the end of a bus route and I could not get there and back for the game. As it was, there was confusion as I tried to work out the buses as an event in town meant some routes were not using the station. After being advised there to walk to, I realised that one stop on a suburban train would take me to a much better place to catch the bus. Seeing Austria Salzburg fans already on board gave me confidence and I went with the follow them off and into the ground plan. This worked and I arrived about 30 minutes before the start. This is the FC United style fans club that was formed by fans that rejected the old Austria Salzburg after they had been rebranded by Red Bull. The fact they could take the name shows how little the new owners of the bigger club care for the history.

With three games to go, Austria Salzburg had 63 points, unlikely to catch Salzburger AK, who were on 68. The objective was to make sure of third, at least and only two other sides were in contention, Kuchl (57 points) and Nuemarkt (51). Both these two had played the night before, so Austria knew they would be top three and a single point would guarantee second.

As I had found before, there is a lot of goodwill at clubs like this towards the visitors from abroad, and as this was a perty atmosphere match, it had a good feel to it. Oftenscore6 turned up shortly before the kick off, and a fairly good game was won 3-0 against Eugenhof. It was €11 to get in, compared to €6 earlier in the day, (both clubs gave me Old persons discount, based on being over 60). In Salzburg a free programme was included. The day's attendances were 200 and 1100

P1050839 m.JPG

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Star
1993 (Sunday)

Port Vale 0 West Bromwich Albion 3
Football League Division 2 Play-off Final
@ Wembley Stadium
Att: 53,471 Adm: £18

After entering the Football League as founder members in 1888, Albion have only been outside the top two divisions for two seasons. If it hadn't been for the introduction of play-offs a few years earlier the absence would have been longer as we had finished 4 points behind Port Vale in fourth place.

The key turning point of this match was the sending off, early in the second half, of Vale's Peter Swan for bringing down Bob Taylor when he was through on goal. After that the game was never really in doubt. The goals came from Andy Hunt, Nicky Reid and Kevin Donovan.

The attendance, although a record for the Div 2 Play-off at the time, was much lower than it should have been. When the tickets were distributed both clubs were given the same amout (~30/32K from memory). I don't know whether this was the standard League/Wembley policy or whether the clubs had to request an allocation. Either way, and unsurpringly, Albion sold all their tickets very quickly, whilst Vale were struggling to sell much into 5 figures. Albion requested more tickets but Vale refused to give any up, even though they couldn't sell them, and the organisers claimed no more were available. After further pushing ~5,000 tickets were released from somewhere, which were again snapped up by Baggies supporters in double quick time. I think another smaller number of tickets were then released to Albion, who ended up with around 40K followers in the ground, but there is no doubt that they could have sold much closer to 50K, given the opportunity. Only in football would you get a venue with 25k empty seats turning away 10,000 people eager to purchase a ticket !

The programme at £3 was grossly overpriced.
.Wem.jpg

12 other matches on this date.

Last edited:

Oxpete

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Pompey
Today is the twenty-fifth anniversary of the death of Bobby Stokes, who died on 30th May 1995 of bronchial pneumonia at the age of just forty-four.

He is obviously most famous for scoring the winning goal for Southampton in the 1976 FA Cup final, though he also scored a vitally important late equaliser for Saints in the 1-1 draw v. West Brom in the fifth round. He was at Southampton for eleven years, before signing for Portsmouth. He also played for Washington Diplomats, Waterlooville, Cheltenham Town and Chichester City.

1590960192420.png

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
2010: Middlesex County League - Copland 0 - 2 Interwood - Att: 123
Somewhat less memorable than my other match on this date. This game was played in Northwick Park, Harrow and was publicised by Tony Incenzo, resulting in a big end of season groundhopper convention.
Was also at this game, on 31st May.

Bigaitch

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
30th May 1989, Wrexham 0 Leyton Orient 0
Division 4 Play off final 1st leg at The Racecourse Ground.

In the days before play off finals were held at Wembley, Os and Wrexham played out a tentative goalless draw in front of just under 8000, including 600 or so who ventured up from London. Orient I recall hit the bar and Wrexham came close too but generally it was a cagey affair.
The following Saturday Os did the business and gained promotion to Div 3 and the play offs moved to Wembley the following year.

Thanks to Cherryhopper for pointing out the ‘deliberate’ mistake when I originally posted...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks