May 29th

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
This was the day back in 1985 that 39 Juventus fans died and more than 350 injured at the European Cup Final in Brussels in the Heysel disaster.

Shortly before kick off Liverpool fans surged towards the Juventus fans causing a wall to collapse under the pressure and fans were crushed and trampled to death in the panic. 14 Liverpool fans were convicted of involuntary manslaughter,

Within days English teams were banned from competing in Europe by our own FA and then by UEFA, a ban that would last 5 years.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
2 from me - both recent ones

2018 - Vulcan 1 Broadheath Central 1 (HT 0-1) - Cheshire League 2
My 1st and only visit to Mesnes Park - Attendance 48

This was billed by Vulcan as "the final game at Fortress Mesnes" - but due to ground issues, it wasn't, as they didn't make it to the new ground until the new season was underway.

Mesnes Park is a pleasant open space with playground areas etc in the middle of Newton-le-Willows, on the way to Vulcan village. Some groundhoppers turned up late (7.20) and said that they had been to two other grounds trying to find the match, not realising that FA Full Time had the wrong ground listed. They had gone to Vulcan village to the small pitch there, and then to the not yet finished new ground, and then finally worked out it was in Mesnes Park.

So basically, if Vulcan got a point at least, they finished 2nd and were officially promoted to League 1 in their first season in the league, having been promoted from the Warrington League the previous season. It kicked off 11 mins late due to kit issues and with 90 seconds on the clock, in bright hot sunshine, it was 1-0 to Broadheath. Seemed like it would be a lively game and Vulcan looked good, but couldn't score, as it reached HT. At this point the sun disappeared behind thick clouds and that was the last we saw of it as the crowd more than halved, and those that brought a coat were happy. I had gone with jumper at least, but it still felt really cold. 2nd half saw Vulcan equalise not long after the break, and they had chances to win it, but didn't. But the point was enough to clinch 2nd place in the league.

2019 - Leeds City 4 Shelley Reserves 0 - West Yorkshire League Cup Final
My 1st and only visit to West Riding County FA HQ, Fleet Lane, Woodlesford - Attendance 250

This was my 1st visit to a Yorkshire ground for over a year and first ever visit to this one. Very smart and pleasant 3G pitch and seemed very well maintained. There was lots of seating down a pitch length big stand opposite the dugout side. Hard standing and metal chest-high fence and rails around the pitch, so much that you couldn't enter the pitch without great difficulty if you wanted to.

Leeds City had finished 2nd in the West Yorkshire League. Shelley's Reserves played 2 divisions below in Div 2. So Leeds City were favourites and played with confidence, although Shelley stayed in it for most of the game. 1-0 on 16 mins with an easy tap in after the keeper didn't quite get to a high ball. Was 2-0 on 60 mins then 3-0 on 70 mins and 4-0 around 80 mins. The West Yorkshire League Cup trophy itself looked very similar to the actual FA Cup and it was announced at the presentation that it was just that - a copy of the FA Cup. Overall a very pleasant evening.

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1993 Sealink Stenna Welsh Alliance Y Felinheli v Llandyrnog United 2-2

My final game of the 92/3 season and one that was well hopped. An enclosed ground that was railed and had a small section of cover. There was a programme of sorts, but it may have been an old one. Too much effort to dig it out and check. It is the only time I have been here to date.

1997 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Henllan v Cefn Lost 4-5

2001 Tyn Lon Volvo Garage Welsh Alliance Llandudno Junction v Abergele Town 1-2

I have seen Junction or the club under a former name at three different grounds, Llanfairfechan, the old Crossville ground and the Flyover, but I can’t remember which one this was now. They were regular issuers.

2004 Notts. Alliance Senior Division Nottinghamshire Police v Magdala Amateurs 4-1

The title decider for the Police. Played at the pitch behind the Roko Club where the visitors played but this was a different pitch to theirs and is now a 3G complex. Magdala’s pitch is still used and was done many years later for one of their games.

2007 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Llandyrnog v Ysceifiog 5-5

2010 Stagecoach West of Scotland Super League Premier Division
Largs Thistle v Vale of Clyde (T213) 3-1

Superb ground in a lovely resort on the Firth of Clyde. Only been to football once but a few times to Largs. Fully enclosed with a large covered stand down one side and an oval terracing on much of the rest. No prog but got an old one. Looks like it is now 3G but was grass for this game.

1590710437905.png

2011 Emirates Scottish Junior Cup Final (at Kilmarnock FC)
Auchinleck Talbot v Musselburgh Athletic 2-1 (aet - 90 mins 1-1)

My only Junior Cup Final to date. I was sat near to half way with the Talbot fans. They were in the majority.

2013 McBookie.com Scottish Juniors East Region South Division Harthill Royal v Tranent 1-3

Enclosed, railed and with some cover down one side. I enjoyed this and the friendly welcome. They dropped out for a time after this but have since returned. No prog but I had an old one. Another enjoyable Juniors ground to visit

2015 DFT Fife & Lothians Cup Semi Final Camelon v Bo'ness United 5-2

My second visit here having been the previous season. It was a local Thursday evening game so why not. I don’t think there were any others that night to fit in a new ground but what is not to like about Camelon’s ground.

2018 Warrington & District League Division One Hatton Athletic v The Village Club 2-2

I had no memory of this game at all or where it was played at first? A little research and I think it was at Morley Common in Warrington, and there were a few hoppers here. Just a pitch and possibly not long for this world as the new Mersey Link road may be using the land? Only what I had heard – nothing seen officially.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Will leave Luigi Riva at the Hawthorns in 71 to Lord Lucan of this parish and go for =

Wednesday @ 16-30.
Poland 0 v 0 Wales.
Full International.
@ RKS Radomiak Stadium , Radom.

Image result for stadion radomiaka radom, struga 63 street,

Poland - Jaroslaw Jozef Bako , Czeslaw Jakolcewicz , Dariuz Kubicki , Janusz Nawrocki , Jan Furtok , Roman Kosecki , Piotr Soczynski , Ryszard Tarasiewicz , Krzystof Warzycha , Dariuz Wdowczyk , Jacek Ziober .
Subs - Jozef Wandzik for Bako , Roman Szewczyk for Warzycha , Tomasz Cebula for Kosecki , Michal Gebura for Wdowczyk.
Manager - Andrej Strejlau.

Wales - Neville Southall , Andy Melville , Paul Bodin , Kevin Ratcliffe , Mark Aizlewood , David Phillips , Peter Nicholas , Barry Horne , Ian Rush , Mark Hughes , Dean Saunders.
Subs - Jeremy Goss for Nicholas , Colin Pascoe for Saunders.
Manager - Terry Yorath.

Referee - Heinz Holzmann (Austria).

In the middle of a 21 day Inter Rail and the delights of Radom. Hoppers like Reg would need to re tick as the Stadium has been demolished and moved slightly and rotated.

''Stadion Radomiaka''
New stadium for Radomiak is planned only partly on the site of its predecessor. The venue will be moved north and rotated to lie on the east-west axis instead of traditional north-south. The shift was forced by legal issues with land ownership and the necessity of fitting a 5,000-capacity indoor hall within the same complex.

===========================================================
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also stayed for the second game in Casablanca with a train ride to Marrakesh on the blank day.
Hassan II Tournament.
17-30.
England 0 v 0 Belgium (3-4 Penalties).
Attendance varied. Started at about 20,000 but as Moroccan fans were arriving the attendance soared to about 40,000 at the end.

Morocco 2 v 2 France in the next game which I stayed for also resulted in pens and had 65,000 watching. (21-00)

England - Nigel Martyn , Gary Neville , Philip Neville , Martin Keown ,Sol Campbell [c] , Graeme Le Saux , Robert Lee , Paul Gascoigne , Les Ferdinand , Paul Merson , Nicky Butt
Subs - Rio Ferdinand for Butt , Michael Owen for Neville P , Dion Dublin for Campbell , David Beckham for Gascoigne.
Manager - Glenn Hoddle.

Belgium - : Philippe van der Walle, Eric Deflandre, Eric van Meir, Mike Verstraeten,
Vital Borkelmans, Glen de Boeck, Danny Boffin, Enzo Scifo, Gert Verheyen, Emile M'Penza, Michael Goossens .
Subs - Claessens for Verheyen , M'Penza for Goosens.
Manager - George Leekens.

Referee - Abderrahim El Arjoune (Morocco)

Final placings. (RSSF).
1.France 2 1 0/1 0 3- 2 8- 8 4
2.England 2 1 0/1 0 1- 0 4- 4 4
3.Morocco 2 0 1/0 1 2- 3 8- 8 2
4.Belgium 2 0 1/0 1 0- 1 4- 4 2

Win on penalties 2 points, lose on penalties 1.
Second GD includes the penalty shootouts.

30 x games (28 + 2 Summer) , 2 x double's , 6 x 0-0's.Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock( 25 x foreign).

. WARNING : GRAPHIC CONTENT Juventus v Liverpool, 1985 European Cup ... RIP.

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1983/84 Spurs 2 England XI 2 (20,518) (Keith Burkinshaw Testimonial)
1986/87 Gillingham 0 Swindon Town 2 (18,491) 2nd Division Play Off Final @ Selhurst Park

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Sunday May 29th 1977
Friendly
Motherwell v Ajax Amsterdam, 4-2, H.T. 2-0, Att 7535
At Fir Park

I remember this game coming as an unexpected bonus, a full month after the end of the domestic league season. Motherwell were about to embark on a Summer tour to Colombia and arranged this game for some match practice. Ajax were apparently prostituting themselves around Europe, looking for a big fee, to play glamour matches.

Being a Sunday it was not the easiest of jobs to get there. Sunday train services in Scotland at the time were very poor. I eventually hatched a plan and got my parents to go on an afternoon jaunt to the Clyde Valley Nurseries and Garden Centres, dropping me off in Motherwell on the way.

I was quite excited at the prospect of seeing Ajax. It was only a few years since they had been three-in-a-row European Cup winners and Dutch football held a certain mystique. Unfortunately, I was not to see Ajax at their best. I watched from the enclosure in front of the main stand at Fir Park. Motherwell’s usual programme was on sale.

Teams:
Well: Keith McRae, Gregor Stevens, Joe Wark, Colin McAdam, Willie McVie, Stuart McLaren, Peter Miller, Willie Pettigrew, Bobby Graham, Vic Davidson and Peter Marinello. Subs Millar and Ian Kennedy
Ajax: Robertus Tervoort, Pim Van Dord, Wim Suurbier, Rudi Krol, Freek Lamain, Barry Hulshoff, Ruud Geels, Johan Zuidema, Simon Tahamata, Soren Lerby, Josko Gluic. Subs Robert Kok and Heinz Stuy

That Motherwell team was full of raw meat merchants who didn’t play friendlies. Gregor Stevens, Willie McVie, Stuart McLaren, Colin McAdam, Joe Wark, Peter Miller . . . if you were asked to assemble a team of 70s Scots hatchet men they would all have been strong contenders.

Ajax were not keen to get physically involved and Motherwell simply ran over the top of them in the first half. Vic Davidson put the home side ahead and Willie Pettigrew made it 2-0 before half time from a Bobby Graham cross. Graham, the ex-Liverpool bit part player was a great signing for Motherwell. McLaren headed a third just after half time.

McLaren turned villain a few years later when he dithered on the ball and allowed Ruud Geels to rob him and shoot into the net. Motherwell’s goalie on the day was Keith McRae, formerly of the club, but then with Man City. He was loaned for one day as the regular Well keepers were unavailable. Colin McAdam restored Motherwell’s three goal lead before Zuidema made the scoreline a bit more respectable near the end.

Ajax departed with a reputed cheque for £10k. Motherwell headed off to South America for a tour that, predictably, ended in debacle. I got my lift back home well pleased with an entertaining afternoon’s football and the chance to see some players “in the flesh” who had previously only featured on tv and the pages of World Soccer.

well ajax prog.jpg

Stephen Harris

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leyton Orient
Five games for me, all of which stimulate the old memory glands to a certain extent:

1984: Testimonial - Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 2 England - Att: 20,518
I too was at Keith Burkinshaw's testimonial match at White Hart Lane, as the likeable Spurs manager went out on a high as UEFA Cup winner. It was my 18th of 32 visits to White Hart Lane before it was rebuilt. I don't remember that much about the game except that Spurs fans were not sure whether or not to applaud the mercurial Liam Brady (by then of Sampdoria) when he appeared in a Spurs shirt and scored one of their goals. The other home goal was scored by Henry Hughton's brother Chris, whilst future Orient player Ray Wilkins and Bryan Robson scored for England.

1993: Bundesliga - 1FC Koln 2 - 1 FC Schalke 04 - Att: Full house (c. 50,000 ?)
Arriving with Chris B at the Mungersdorfer Stadion, for my first of three visits before it was rebuilt, we were aware that this was a very big game. But we were not expecting to see the dreaded word 'Ausverkauft' (sold out) posted on all the ticket kiosks. This was a potential blow to our plans for the day. As has been noted on here before however, the German instinct is to pass on any spare tickets to people who need them, rather than to seek to make any financial gain as may be the case in other countries. So a few minutes of standing looking forlorn by the main ticket office resulted in us being offered a couple of tickets at low face value. Luckily the fact that they were child tickets was not a hindrance at the entry. The atmosphere was big; perhaps my first exposure to mass pyrotechnics, and the win much celebrated by the home supporters. Schalke fans, of whom as usual there were a great many, were not best pleased however and there was some serious street fighting outside the ground afterwards. This crowd trouble led to the tram system being closed down and a long walk back to the city centre. Poor Chris got a blister.

1999: Division 4 Playoff Final - Leyton Orient 0 - 1 Scunthorpe United - Att: 36,895
This was all set to be Orient's big day. Their first visit to Wembley for 70 years in a season where they had been rubbish until Christmas but had finished with a great run of form. They had a very likeable group of players and the Orient supporters outnumbered the Scunnies in the ground two to one. A promotion was overdue. My brother had flow in from Germany; even my mother came to the match and they always won when she came. We had good seats right by the Royal Box. It was all set up perfectly. But Orient lost.

2005: Austrian Bundesliga - Grazer AK 3 - 1 SK Rapid Wien - Att: 13,471
I haven't seen a great deal of football in Austria over the years (not enough, to tell the truth) and almost all of it has been minor league, watch with a pint in your hand, sort of stuff. This match stands out as being by far the biggest game I have ever seen there. Unfortunately it doesn't stand out for much else and I remember it as being a rather disappointing match in a bland stadium, watched without a pint in my hand.

2010: Essex Olympian League - Buckhurst Hill 1 - 2 May & Baker - Att: 169
Wet winter weather had led to a big backlog of fixtures and Senior Division One threw up this last day championship decider. A large crowd was drawn (the league website says "over 200", my figure may be somebody's headcount) and even some major league groundhoppers decided to dirty their hands with a visit to the London fringes. M&B had some vociferous support I seem to recall and the championship was theirs.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Bundesliga.
Austria Wien 5 Admira Wacker Modling 1.
Adm. €10.
Prog. €1.
Att. 2,113.

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Saturday 29th May 2010

Sporting Fingal 2 Galway United 0 (661)

A weekend in Dublin to watch the short lived Sporting Fingal at Morton Stadium, Santry. Only 965 days between their first and last games in the League of Ireland, yet they still managed to qualify twice for the Europa League.

Ricardo

Junior Team Regular
1993 Athletic Bilbao 2 Logrones 0 La Liga crowd 35,000

I was on a mini tour of south west France and felt I couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to see the famous San Mames stadium whilst in the vicinity. For some reason the train only goes as far as San Sebastian where you have to change onto a bus for the last hour or so into Bilbao, it seems to be quite a trendy place nowadays but it was a bit grim and industrial back in the 90s, at least the weather was decent enough and I managed to get a terrace ticket behind the goals, a few years later these were replaced by seats so I felt I got a better view as at least on a terrace you can move about a bit.
I had seen the Art Deco style Bordeaux stadium and was soon to enjoy the delights of Toulouse but Bilbao was something else, the atmosphere around the ground even for a run of the mill game like Logrones was special and it did look a bit like a cathedral of football, as it was described when it first came on my radar in the 1982 World Cup a decade earlier. The match itself wasn’t especially memorable but 2 second half goals brought the crowd to life and gave Athletic a fairly comfortable 2-0 win to consolidate their mid table status. After the game I headed back over the border to France again.

1997 2 games in Morocco as described above. After the second one the Moroccans thought we were French and we had to escape in a passing taxi to get away from them.

2002 West Indies 186 India 187/3
Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados

My wife doesn’t particularly like football but has no time at all for cricket so it was a bit of a surprise when she agreed to come with me to this one day international whilst on a great holiday to Barbados. As you might expect, organisation was virtually non existent with a few token stewards not doing a lot and when we got to the stand we were supposed to be in it was all but full, seems like you had to get there early to bag a seat so we ended up in a smaller stand in the sun. Between overs there was loud reggae music pumping and dancers shaking their booty around which was not quite what my wife expected, think she had some outdated image of old folk sitting around nibbling cucumber sandwiches.
The game itself was a bit one sided with India breezing to a comfortable victory in spite of the likes of Brian Lara and Carl Hooper in the home line up but it was a pretty good day out and the banter with the locals was good, they really were very knowledgeable about cricket which was nice to see. In the afternoon my wife decided she’d had enough and took a taxi back to the hotel and with a couple of overs left I decided to join her before the stampede for cabs at the end.

Last edited:

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Ravensthorpe Rangers v Savile Town 6-2
Spen Valley League

Shamwickshire Rvrs 2nds v Merton 6-3
N.Devon Snr

Another visit to the Chesterfield Cricket Ground for the second (and what proved to be the final) day of Derbyshire's game against Hampshire.

Derbys made steady progress and ended their first innings 220 all out. Miller 66 and Kirsten 51.
They then bowled out Hants cheaply again for 145 (Steele and Miller doing the damage this time). This left Derby needing just 12 to win which they got without loss for a 10 wicket win.

Chris1963

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
1999: Division 4 Playoff Final - Leyton Orient 0 - 1 Scunthorpe United - Att: 36,895
I was on an Inter-Rail tour at the time and remember looking out for the result with an unusual amount of interest for a game of this type, because I knew that whoever won would be visiting Oxford United the following season. This in itself was significant because I had never seen either team play at the Manor. So I did get to see Scunthorpe play there (Oxford won 2-0 in April 2000) but sadly Orient did not make a final visit to the Manor before it was demolished at the end of the following season. I think the previous time both sides played at the Manor before then had been in 1983-84 but I was at non-league matches on these occasions.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Sunday , 1977
Friendly
Motherwell v Ajax Amsterdam, 4-2, H.T. 2-0, Att 7535

Ajax were apparently prostituting themselves around Europe, looking for a big fee, to play glamour matches.

Teams:
Ajax: Robertus Tervoort, Pim Van Dord, Wim Suurbier, Rudi Krol, Freek Lamain, Barry Hulshoff, Ruud Geels, Johan Zuidema, Simon Tahamata, Soren Lerby, Josko Gluic. Subs Robert Kok and Heinz Stuy
Reasonable side for Ajax, league had finished a fortnight previous so I guess going through the motions. Glamour matches ?
Regular keeper missing Piet Schrijvers. Nice to see Stuy on bench , he didn't get a game that season .
Also missing regulars were - Johnny Dusbaba ,Dirk Schoenaker, Rene Notten , Tscheu La Ling.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
It was glamorous for Motherwell !

I know Friendlies aren't your thing but I loved these sort of "unusual" fixtures.

Ajax were playing another game in Spain somewhere later that week, then in Cyprus I think.

Good to see Suurbier and Krol in the flesh. Hulshoff I knew from World Cup stickers although he wasn't in the team for 74. Lerby must have bene a youngster at the time. Only names I really didn't recognise was Lamain and Tervoort.

Motherwell's games in Colombia ended with the predictable punch-ups, crowd trouble, players getting into bother off the pitch etc.

Karb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Football League Division 3 play-off final
York City 1-1 Crewe Alexandra aet, (York win 5-3 on pens)
Att: 22,416

I'd spent most of 1991 living and working in Crewe, and watched the Alex a few times so, now back living in London, this was a good chance to catch up with some of my Alex supporting mates. The soon-to-be (and now ex) Mrs Karb came along with me.

York had finished 4th in the table, Crewe 6th, but Alex had looked very strong in their semi-final, thumping Walsall 9-3 on aggregate, while the Minstermen had scraped through 1-0 against Bury.

York looked to be the better side in a goalless 90 minutes. I remember Tony Canham curling a shot onto the crossbar for York, and Smith making several saves. At the other end, Dean Kiely made a fine save to deny Tony Naylor, but little else sticks in the memory from a Crewe perspective.

A minute before half time in extra time Gary Swann put York ahead, only for Dave McKearney to level from the spot with a minute left in extra time after Tutill had handled.

In the shoot-out, Dean Kiely saved Alex's third kick, from Gareth Whalley. York scored all five of theirs.

Cheshire League Division 2
Vulcan 1-1 Broadheath Central
Att: 48

Well summed up by @SimonUpNorth I wasn't one of those who went to the wrong ground, but I did have to leave before the end, due to Arriva Trains Fails cancelling the train I needed to catch to make the last connection at Warrington, so I had to get an earlier one and change at Manchester instead.

Montagu Cup Final Replay
Joker 6-0 Wombwell Main, at Mexborough Athletic FC
Att 185 (h/c)

Several hoppers in attendance at this one. I sat with catchagogoal, who very kindly offered me a lift back, though road closures and dodgy diversions on the way, meant I eventually got home later than if I'd just got the train as planned!

While the town of Mexborough has undoubtedly seen better days, the ground itself is well worth a visit. Shared with the cricket club, you enter by the cricket pavilion. There is terracing on two sides, crumbling in places, and a stand with seats which, I'm reliably informed, came from the Don Valley stadium. Refreshments were available, but I didn't partake.

I'm not particularly familiar with the standard of either the Rotherham Sunday League or the Sheffield County League, but I expected the latter to be somewhat stronger. How wrong I was. Joker dominated from the first whistle to the last, though they led only 1-0 at half time. The margin of victory was helped by Wombwell largely giving up once the third goal had gone in.

4 goals for Joker's number 9, but the pick of the goals was a long range effort by the right winger on 58 minutes, which gave Joker a two goal cushion.

martin55

Junior Team Regular
Saturday 29th May 1993 Y Felinheli v Llandyrnog United 2-2
Welsh Alliance
Also at this one. No programme for this match.

Monday 29th May 1995 Largs Thistle v Cumnock Juniors 2-1
Ayrshire Cup Semi Final
My first ever Scottish Junior game. Kicked off at 7:15, not knowing any different I assumed it would be an afternoon game being a bank holiday (in England). Anyway, rather a long day, but an excellent game and I was determined to do more.

Monday 29th May 2000 Petershill v Benburb 1-2
SJFA Central Region Premier Division
By this time I had got the hang of bank holidays in Scotland and arrived at the correct time for a 7:30 kick-off. Attendance 263, but no programme for this game.

Saturday 29th May 2004 Wrockwardine Wood United v Ellesmere Rangers Reserves 3-3
Shropshire County League Division One
Not a lot of choice on this day, so a localish trip to Telford. Very end of season, but enough action to keep it enjoyable in the sunshine.

Saturday 29th May 2010 Bo’ness United v Linlithgow Rose 2-0
SJFA East Region Super League
Big local derby, with Bo’ness taking the honours and the league title. Around 2000 in attendance, including plenty of police, didn’t see any problems though.

Sunday 29th May 2011 Auchinleck Talbot v Musselburgh Athletic 2-1
Scottish Junior Cup Final @ Kilmarnock FC
Attendance 6,025. So far my only visit to this cup final.

Thursday 29th May 2014 Ukraine u19 v England u19 1-0
UEFA u19 Elite Qualifying Round @ Burton Albion
Second visit here in this week. Ukraine winning to top the group above England.
Attendance 735 for a 3pm kick off.

Tuesday 29th May 2018 Vulcan v Broadheath Central 1-1
Cheshire League Division One
Another one at this game, and at the correct ground.

The vulture

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Groundhog
J League @ Mizuho Stadium :
Nagoya Grampus Eight 8 Urawa Red Diamonds 1.
Entry ¥2500 Att 22,741 Prog (4 pages) Free.

By this stage J League teams were starting to get in foreign players who could add to the teams rather than marquee signings on big wages with sick notes, nowhere was this more evident than at Grampus.

Gone was Lineker to be replaced by possibly the best overseas player to play in the J League, Yugoslav international (84 caps) former Red Star midfielder the mercurial Dragan Stojkovic. Always good for entertainment, iffy discipline and ability to spare, "pixy" was adored in Nagoya.

At the time Urawa were trying to model themselves on the Red Filth to such an extent that their support referred to themselves as Mitsubishi Urawa FC. They travelled to this one in big numbers and at the time were the best supported side in the League.

As a venue I never took to the Mizuho Stadium, very much the archetypal municipal facility : an athletics stadium with limited cover just on the main stand side.

In this game Grampus were 2-1 up at HT, according to my records.....an online review suggested 2-0. I probably have a newspaper cutting somewhere that could confirm.

By the end it was an impressive 8-1 thumping with 5 goals from Wagner Lopes, a Brazilian born naturalised Japanese forward who played for several J League sides and the national team.

The other Grampus goals were scored by Stojkovic (2, one of them a penalty) and Oulide. For Urawa their consolation was a Fukuda penalty.

In the Urawa team was the rising star of Japanese football Shinji Ono, a skillful midfielder who went on to play over 100 times for Feyenoord in the Dutch League. At 40 he's still playing in the J2 League for FC Ryukyu.

A fine afternoon, as ever the support of both sets of fans was really impressive BUT the day's biggest shock was that Stojkovic completed a game without getting his customary booking.....strange days indeed.

Steveb

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1986 was my final game of the season, and the first season I'd kept a written record of matches attended. Anyone know if the Waltham Hospital Cup is still played for?

My match in 1987 was also my final one of the season. It was my first visit to Selhurst Park, but I've been back subsequently for a Palace game, and I think for a Charlton match at some point as well.

There was a lengthy delay to the kick off at Bro Cernyw in 1993 as both teams had matching shirts. Eventually one side agreed to turn theirs inside out so we at least had a game.

Same game as martin55 in 2000. I'd forgotten it was a Bank Holiday evening. My attendance figure is less precise.

These days the Denny King Memorial Cup is for under 21 sides, but in 2004 it was still for first teams.

A very low key international in 2009 but a good opportunity to tick off a rugby ground.

The large crowd for a Highland Amateur Cup tie in 2010 was boosted by a coachload of supporters from Golspie. The match was played on Lower Bignold Park, one of the lesser pitches in the park adjacent to Wick Academy's ground. According to their Twitter, Staxigoe are currently developing a new pitch in the village.

A work stay in Glasgow allowed me to get to the Tuesday night match at Shotts in 2012, as well as an amateur game the following evening.

1986 Waltham Hospital Cup Final: Crown and Manor 6 Hoddesdon Town 1 (att 80) at Waltham Abbey FC
1987 Football Lge, Div 2/3 play off final replay: Gillingham 0 Swindon Town 2 (18,491) at Crystal Palace FC
1993 Vale of Conwy League: Bro Cernyw 2 Mochdre 3 (62)
1999 Essex Intermediate Lge, Div 1: Runwell Hospital 2 Bishops Stortford Swifts 5 (33)
2000 SJFA Central Regional Lge, Premier Div: Petershill 1 Benburb 2 (250)
2004 Essex Intermediate Lge, Denny King Memorial Cup Final: Bishops Stortford Swifts 3 Frenford Senior 2 (105) at White Notley FC
2009 Friendly: Wales 1 Estonia 0 (4,071) at Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli
2010 Highland Amateur Cup, 2nd round: Staxigoe United 1 Golspie Stafford 3 (130)
2012 SJFA West Region, Super Lge, Div 1: Shotts Bon Accord 2 Kilsyth Rangers 1 (350)
2013 Catforth & District Summer Lge, Premier Div: Preston Sector 2 PSV Preston 5 (10)
2018 Warrington & District Lge, Div 1: Runcorn Albion 5 Moorfield 0 (25)

Two views of stadium that's not often used for football, Parc y Scarlets in 2009.

3279a.jpg

3279b.jpg

Last edited:

norwich6

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 29th May 1999
Essex Intermediate League Division One
Benfleet v Broomfield at Woodside Extension Manor Road
Score 0-1 ht 0-1 Attendance around 50 most of whom were groundhoppers
Programme available a Mick Burt production
A pretty poor game in which Benfleet played with only 10 men throughout
the match. Broomfield missed many chances some of which were
absolute sitters. The only goal came in the 44th minute when a
good cross from the left was headed home.

Saturday 29th May 2010
Middlesex County League Premier Division kick off 12 noon ?
Bethnal Green United v Indian Gymkana at Mabley Park 3g
Score 1-0 ht 0-0 Attendance 62 h/c Programme available £2
Another poor game this one it had very few chances and looked to
be a certain 0-0 draw until a deflected goal after around 70 minutes proved
to be the only goal of the game
After this a lot of the crowd went off to Buckhurst Hill for an afternoon game
however I made my way to Twickenham for rugby union

Rugby Union Saturday 29th May
Premiership Final at Twickenham
Leicester v Saracens Admission £40 Programme £5
Attendance 81,600
Score 33-27 half time 22-14
A very entertaining match in which the lead changed hands several
times. With four minutes to go Saracens led 27-26 but a converted
Hipkiss try put Leicester 33-27 ahead, Even then there was time for
Sarries to kick a penalty into the corner and they tried to drive
their way over but the Leicester defence held firm to give Leicester
their third title in four seasons. Although I have a slight preference
for rugby league it has to be said this was a really enjoyable and
memorable match of rugby union.

Vic Parker

Junior Team Hopeful
Tuesday 29-May-84 at Dean Court-
AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Poole Town-
Friendly

Tuesday 29-May-01 at Chapel Gate-
Hamworthy Recreation 2-0 Hamworthy United-
Dorset Combination League Cup Final

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks