May 22nd

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Hoddy is confused ... it was definitely in Durban. And it was definitely a friendly :unsure:
Thank you gentlemen , lack of sleep I think , it was an easy mistake to make writing East London instead of Isiah Nishangase Rd. I was well aware of the city called East London but thought there was an area of Durban called the same !
Just thought of where I looked for assistance , usually a site I trust re England , the 48,000 possibility came here also.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas2000-10/2002-03/M0802Rsa2003.html

South Africa 1 England 2 [1-1]

Amalgamated Banks of South Africa Stadium, East London, Durban
Attendance: 48,000; Kick-off: 8.30pm SAST, 7.30pm BST
Live on Sky Sports (UK) - Commentator: Martin Tyler
Internationals Steve , no such thing as friendly !
Wonder what I will call the Hong Kong / Golden Select game ?

Did you venture to the beach / bar area at night ?

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Actually, Hoddy's avatar photo reminded me of the Wombles (nothing to do with Wimbledon FC, but the 1970's TV series for kids)
How dare you , I'm much better looking,

hemelhopper

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hemel Hempstead Town; Trust Portsmouth FC and the Reds of Cincinnati
May 22nd took me and many a fan to Wembley Stadium .. old and new in,

1974 England 2-2 Argentina
This was a school trip believe it or not .. somehow the opportunity arose and a coach had been organised by the PE teachers .. for me a first England International game at Wembley .. located somewhere in the lower section of south west corner, with Argentina warming up for the World Cup .. and for some reason we weren’t (even going) .. Tomaszewski and all that .. and on this night, contriving to give away a late penalty .. amazing memories though.

Match highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDpbrcBeBc

2016 Hereford 1-4 Morpeth Town (FA Vase Final) / FC Halifax 1-0 Grimsby Town (FA Trophy Final)
Decided to double up on tickets in the neutral Club level area .. allowing me to split the afternoon and go wandering about between games, given that no transfer was allowed outside on the one ticket.

Highlights for me .. the support Hereford brought (even their bull) .. how strong Morpeth were over the whole Vase game .. and the great FC Halifax goal to win the Trophy .. indeed, a great day out.

Afternoon highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLT9gNPeH-I

.. whilst over in the States, I was somewhere in and around Oakland, CA in 2004 .. ending up at the Berkeley Community Theatre for the evening.

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Thank you gentlemen , lack of sleep I think , it was an easy mistake to make writing East London instead of Isiah Nishangase Rd.
Just thought of where I looked for assistance , usually a site I trust re England , must have thought it was a local area of Durban and the 48,000 possibility came here also.
http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas2000-10/2002-03/M0802Rsa2003.html

Internationals Steve , no such thing as friendly !
Wonder what I will call the Hong Kong / Golden Select game ?

Did you venture to the beach / bar area at night ?
Did spend some evenings in the beach area, but tended to stay one place from what I remember. Hard to believe it was 17 years ago.

Re the crowd, I had 52,000 written down at the time, which I think was the capacity, and I expect it was full. I‘ve seen 48k quoted on England Football Online, but a recent check on there for an U21 away game, for another retro WDYG post, had a figure that was way out compared to what I saw In the ground.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
10 this date - England still leads with 5, Scotland 2, Wales/Belgium/Netherlands 1 each. The match with the most on it was:

1985 (Wednesday)

Helmond Sport 2 FC Wageningen 1
Dutch Cup Semi-final Replay
@ Stadion de Braak
Adm: f9.50

I had been to Karlsruher v FC Bayern the day before and travelled up to Helmond wondering whether, in view of the small capacity at de Braak, it would be difficult to get a ticket but there was no problem.

Both clubs were in the second level Eerste Divisie. The initial match on 7th May had ended 1-1.
Goals from Jan Groeneweg and Perry van Weert took Helmond to their first and, to date, only Cup Final in which they were defeated 1-0 by top level FC Utrecht with the goal coming at 90"+4.

A basic free 4-page programme was given out along with a 4-page insert with details and application form for 1985/86 season tickets.
HS.jpg

Helmond have performed solidly in the Eerste Divisie since, with a number of play-off position finishes, although when the recent season was cancelled they were sitting in last position.

Wageningen were to go bankrupt in 1992, which means I never managed to actually see a full game at their Wageningse Berg ground ..... but that is another story :oops:.

The Willows

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Wednesday 22nd May 1985

Finland 1 England 1 (30,311)

Booked on a flight complete with match ticket from a Daily Mirror advert, in the days before mandatory background checks on England Fans travelling away. The game was played in the 1952 Olympic Stadium in Helsinki. Englands players travelled to the game via Concorde, quite a treat for a low key World Cup Qualifier. Three Lions goal was scored by Mark Hateley of A.C. Milan.

1590177707034.png

Last edited:

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
1995: Midland Combination. Olton Royale 2-0 Meir KA (70) at Bay Tree Farm. No memory of this at all, and I will need to find an old guide to even work out where this may have been
Bay Tree Farm is the ground where I came closest to playing for Altrincham (I may go into further details nearer the date in July), so I can advise it was on the east side of Middle Lane in Headley Heath,, south of the junction with Packhorse Lane. On Google maps, it looks like it's still there, immediately south of Friendship Foods and retains its sole stand which was a mixture of seating and standing, if I remember correctly. It was as rural as its name indicates, but, when I went, in 1991, Olton were a Sunday team, playing, I believe, in the Birmingham Coronation League and the ground was used on Saturdays by West Heath United in the Midland Combination. A couple of years later, West Heath either changed their name to, or were taken over by, Olton Royale.

On May 22nd 2007, however, I went to
Scottish Junior West Superleague Prem Div
Bellshill Athletic v Petershill 0-1 att 155 (est)

This was the only match I attended that midweek, this being a Tuesday night, I think I probably had booked some travel and accommodation at a decent price in Glasgow for a couple of nights, before fixtures had come out, but nothing appeared for the Wednesday.
This match took place at the short-lived New Brandon Park, which had only opened in 2003 before, wiki tells me, closing in 2009. It was a three-sided ground with a high bank of terracing along one side, and shallower terracing behind each goal. There was no cover nor floodlights, but there was a changing room block incorporating a pie-hut in the corner behind the goal.
Banks scored the only goal for Petershill on 42 minutes, but I doubt it was a good match. I have got a memory that the cheer when the pie-hut opened,, some time after kick off, was the biggest cheer of the night.
A strange incident happened on the train back to Glasgow. The guard came up to me and told me " I have just found this wallet" and showed it me "It's got £27 in it, and all these cards." "Oh, right..." I replied, confused. It turned out he wanted me to witness that he had found it and what its contents were, as there had apparently been incidents on Scotrail where people had had lost property returned to them, but then claimed that any money returned was short.

KENTNUMBER43

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Welling United
Saturday 22nd May 2004
Another one who was at Ruddington in the morning and then
Awsworth Villa in the afternoon.
I have the attendance at the Awsworth game as about 90 is that correct ?

Saturday 22nd May 2010
Essex Olympian League Division One 1330 scheduled 1335 actual
Lakeside v Buckhurst Hill at James Hornsby School 3g Laindon
Score 2-4 ht 1-0 free admission programme £2 attendance 66 h/c
Another match attended by many travellers and written about on the old
forum. A decent match played in warm sunshine. Buckhurst Hill totally
dominated the second half and should have won far more comfortably
than they did. There was also another scheduled match supposed to
take place at Hannakins Farm but it did not , and I recall as I
was at the school quite early I went on a bit of a rescue mission to
Hannakins Farm to pick up 3 stranded travellers to take them back to
the Lakeside game.

Tuesday 22nd May 2017
Norfolk Senior Cup Final at Carrow Rd kick off 1930
Kings Lynn v Fakenham
Score 2-0 ht 1-0 Admission £7 Programme £1 Attendance 1313
A short walk from home to Carrow Rd. Kings Lynn were comfotable
winners thanks to a first half penalty and a 70th minute headed goal
Fakenham had a few chances the best of which was a first half header
which shaved the post when the score was 1-0.

Speedway
Sunday 22nd May 2005
Conference League Speedway
Sittingbourne v Weymouth at Old Gun Site Iwade
Score 39-55 Admission £8 Programme £2
A close meeting up to end of heat 6 when the score was 17-19.
After this Sittingbourne had no answer to the Weymouth heat leaders.
Lewis Bridger scored a paid maximum 17 plus 1 from his 6 rides.
Think this may have been his only season with Weymouth.
David Mason also scored a paid maximum 14 plus one from 5 rides.
Trevor Banks and Chris Hunt were top scorers for Sittingbourne.
Sittingbourne had a terrible 2005 losing 20 of 22 matches
they rode in with just a solitary win and a draw all season.
Lewis Bridger moved onto the top division with EASTBOURNE for the 2006.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
2004 - Middlesex League Premier Division
Wraysbury 2-1 London Tigers
Attendance 100 est
First time I had been at another football match at the same time the FA Cup Final was being played. Usually find eggchasing a safer option on this day as I don't have to worry about kick off times being brought forward but a call to the home secretary confirmed neither team was worried about watching Man Utd v Millwall. The hosts started the day 2nd behind Walthamstow Pennant, who had finished their season, and this win, coupled with a shock 9-1 defeat for 3rd placed CB Hounslow at Willesden Constantine, clinched them the title. Ground in a lovely setting just off the M25 surrounded by lakes, one behind trees on the far side of the ground which I went for a swim in before the game. Just a roped off pitch with no cover but not needed on a sunny day.

2010 was also at the Abertillery Bluebirds and Newport Civil Service double header, early kick off at the former due to Cardiff City playing Blackpool in the Championship Play-Off Final that afternoon. Programmes sold out early but all the hoppers including myself who missed out got one in the post a few days later after leaving names and addresses. The end of the game was like a scene from Benny Hill with lots of hoppers rushing to their cars to make a quick getaway to Newport Civil Service before the programmes sold out there as well!

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
Just one for me on 22 May and it was rugby league

1997 - Salford Reds 39 St Helens 26 (HT 20-10) - Super League
My 6th of 7 visits to The Willows - Attendance 5549

In those days I lived in Bury but worked in Birchwood, near Warrington. I finished work on this Thursday evening at 8pm, put the radio on, which for some was on Radio Merseyside, and just getting underway was Salford v St Helens. I had been to Wembley 11 days earlier and saw St Helens beat Bradford Bulls, and as I travelled down the M62 heard Salford start to take them apart. So I decided to go and join in this event and go and watch the 2nd half. With the score 20-4 as I was parking up, I was alamed to see St Helens had pulled another try back in time for me to arrive in the ground just as the HT hooter went.

It looked for a while that me turning up was not going to help Salford at all. The first action I saw was 2 quick St Helens tries to make it 20-20. But then Salford put on a great show as they scored a dropgoal then another try to go 27-20 up. Then St Helens had a man sent off as Ian Pickavance was dismissed for kicking Paul Forber in the face after he was lying on the ground having been tackled. A try each then made is 33-26 but then St Helens had Bobbie Golding sent to the sin bin as Salford wrapped it up with a late try.

Even though I only saw the 2nd half, I was glad I went to see a great game.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Actually, Hoddy's avatar photo reminded me of the Wombles (nothing to do with Wimbledon FC, but the 1970's TV series for kids)
He obviously borrowed it from Michelle.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

The vulture

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Welsh League Division 2 @ Merthyr Road :
AFC Llwydcoed 3 Croesyceiliog 4. Att 50 (H/C).

Welsh League Division 3 @ The Welfare Ground :
Seven Sisters 3 Goytre 0. Att 65 (43 H/C).
Entry inc. prog £2 (at each game).

Like many others on the day I took in a Welsh League double.

I remember it being bloody hot and there being several groundhogs particularly at Llwydcoed, probably stayed in my mind as the chap with the paper hadn't arrived about 3 hours before kick off so some panic was starting to manifest itself.

Then onto Seven Sisters where en-route my sat nav decided not to play ball so ye olde map was found in the boot and dusted down. Not sure how or why I have a proper crowd figure when my headcount only reached 2/3 of the figure.

So ten goals which I think may have been 10 own goals or perhaps 10 penalties?

Both games were spent in the, always excellent, company of former poster Tim.

Wanderer

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Newark Town
I have lost the plot entirely. The earlier posting was not for 22nd at all, but the 25th May
This is what I should have posted for 22nd

1993 Sealink Stenna Welsh Alliance Llangefni Town v Pilkington (St. Asaph) 5-2

At the old ground which was closer to the centre of town than their current home. Facilities were limited, the pitch being railed but without cover as such bar an overhang on an adjacent building. It all looked a bit worn and neglected back then although I am not sure how many years this was before they moved, but a few, I think. There was a programme. I think we called for a beer in a Lees pub on the road out of town to the north. No idea what it was called now.

1995 Sealink Stenna Welsh Alliance Rhydymwyn v Holyhead Town 8-1

The visitors were a bit late and light on numbers for this visit just down the road from me. It was the first of three visits here in just five days. No prog for this game or on 25th but they did issue on 27th. The photo is more recent than 95.

View attachment 1803

1996 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Oswestry Town v Rhydymwyn 1-4

1998 Springbank Vending Midland League Division One Norton United v Foley 2-3

This club eventually rose through the pyramid to Step 4 before getting evicted from the ground and folding. They were runners up in 97/8 and league champions the following season but stayed at this level for a further two seasons. The secretary at the time was Dennis Vickers who always offered a warm welcome and was with the club through to the end, I think.

2000 Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League Clawddnewydd v Caerwys 11-1

2001 Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance Halkyn United v Airbus U K 1-0

I think Halkyn were at the cricket club ground by this time (same entrance but entirely separate) but they previously played behind the community centre in Pentre Halkyn. That was tightly enclosed with a narrow section of cover. They eventually built a stand at the cricket club ground. Both were railed off. Good views of the Dee Valley and estuary from the cricket club ground. A decent pint in The Britannia Inn down the or the Blue Bell just up the hill a way.

2004 A double (FA Cup Final day) as confirmed by Hoddy1

Notts. Alliance Senior Division Ruddington United v Newark Flowserve 13-0 (a new record score for me then)

Played at Ruddington Village FC, which was the pitch behind the changing rooms and not shared with cricket. It could be argued this was a better venue being fully enclosed. Did the cricket pitch ground a couple of times, once for a hop (the revisit)? Each time a prog was issued. Roped off only.

Notts. Alliance Senior Division Awsworth Villa v Nottinghamshire Police 2-3

An enclosed ground. May have been railed? No cover but a decent vie from a grass bank down the side. There was a prog. Also revisited on a hop.

2010 A double

MacWhirter Welsh League Division Three Abertillery Bluebirds v Garw Seniors Boys & Girls Club (T211) 4-0

Super venue up in the hills which the club are due to return to next season. Fabulous views at this railed pitch with a stand. There was a prog.

MacWhirter Welsh League Division Three Newport Civil Service v Pontyclun (T212) 1-0

Enclosed, railed and with two stands. Returned last season for the hop where it was the same but had been tidied up. There was a prog

2013 Mercian Regional League Premier Division Church Stretton Town v AFC Ludlow 1-3

A railed pitch beneath the Cardingmill Valley. Very pleasant. No prog.
I was also at the game at Ruddington in 2004. Flowserve had had their end of season "do" on the Friday night which with an 11 am kick-off the following morning left some of them feeling a bit fragile. The keeper had played for me as a junior and as he came off the pitch told me that he hadn't gone to bed until half past four and after seeing thirteen go past him that in the whole season at Under 11 he'd only conceded eight in 18 matches.
Ruddington United (5) 13 Newark Flowserve (0) 0
Nottinghamshire Football Alliance Senior Division
Saturday 22nd May, 2004
At Elms Park, K.O.: 11AM

Slim pickings today, possibly affected by the fact that this is my daughter's birthday, so lets settle for a game that is still fourth in my 'highest ever score' list.
Many of the hopping glitterati attended this F.A. Cup Final morning game and in fact my programme is a copy kindly run off for me by Warwickian. Thanks again John! The game was actually played on the second pitch at Elms Park which would have been either very welcome or annoying depending on your own personal rules. I did fulfil my own rules by returning in 2004-05 for a game on the main pitch.
This was 7th v 5th in the final table but presumably Flowserve must have pitched up with a much weakened side. I think they also lost something like 1-8 in a subsequent mid-week game to end up with a negative goal difference in 5th place.
I was puzzled by the absence of any football or cricket later in the day in my records then realised precisely where I was:
Daughter's 27th birthday get together
At Ex's residence, K.O.: Obviously too early for a second game
Lots of cards but no programme, Att.: 8 (h/c)

View attachment 1775
The reason for the one-sided scoreline in the Ruddington match was that Flowserve had had their end of season "celebration" the night before and were a bit the worst for wear. The keeper played for me as a junior and reminded me at the end of the match that in the Under 11s he'd only conceded eight in an 18 match season and that he'd finally got to bed at 4.30, six hours before the game kicked off !

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks