MARLOW

mccains

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Bridlington Town
Can anyone clarify something for me please? In 1953-54 Marlow were in the Spartan League. Their Reserves were in the Reserve Section. However, there was also a Marlow Reserves in the Great Western Combination. Was the team in the Great Western Combination Marlow "A"? Marlow Reserves played in the Berks & Bucks FA Intermediate Cup and I am trying to find out what League they were in.

DarwinsWorms

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Norwich City
Liverpool F.C.
Hi mccains

The reserve team could have been competing in both leagues. Fords Sports Reserve team was also in the London League while Vauxhall Motors second team was in the Spartan Reserve and the South Midlands league. I am not sure if they distinguished second and third teams at that time. I could be mistaken though.

Cheers
DW

NeilH

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Cambridge City
Hi mccains

I happen to have a Marlow v Histon prog from 3rd October 1953. Club notes has:

'Marlow res 2 Burnham 5 (G.W.C)'

No additional reference to this game in the editorial.

Under 'next week's fixtures':
'Reserves v Cippenham (B&B Intermediate Cup)'

Suggests that MFC saw their reserves as in the GWC as well as the Spartan? No mention of Spartan League reserve section in this particular prog. Don't know how many teams in the Great Western Combination but 30 games in the Spartan plus however many in the GWC is a big commitment week in week out.

One other possible clue - there is a 'Reserve Team Hon Sec' named on the prog cover in addition to 'Hon Sec'; he would have been a busy man!

pitch 63

Reserve Team Sub
Marlow Reserves finished bottom of Division 1 of the Great Western Combination in 1953-54 when there were 13 teams in the final table. So 54 games plus ?cups.

Kingsmere

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
Just a thought if the results are found for either team the best home and away fit against the first team fixtures would point to the "main" reserves. If one of them is usually at home the same day as the first side they are probably not the main reserves. Would be interesting to know where the "third" side played.

Looking at the clubs in the league in that period a number were reserves of Hellenic sides, sides who would progress to the Hellenic lower division and clubs who were later in the Wycombe and Chiltonian League. I would say as the Spartan was third in the Amateur pecking order at that point their reserve section would have been of the same standard? .

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks