March 31st

Kentish exile

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Gillingham, Kent CC, Miami Dolphins, Camborne RFC, Castleford Tigers
Truro City 3-1 Curzon Ashton FA Vase SF 2nd leg

Truro overturned a 1 goal deficit from the 1st leg, and earned a trip to Wembley despite going a goal down early in the 2nd. Can't remember the exact attendance, but i think it was 2700+.

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
I was also at the Goldstone Ground that day which was my local ground at the time. Oddly enough, this match came up in conversation before Altrincham's last match when one of my friends said he hoped Portsmouth went up, following the friendly welcome we had there earlier this season. I snarled back, citing their horrible fans' (present company excepted, obviously) behaviour at this match. I don't recall much ignoring going on!
Afterwards, I went back home before heading out for the second part of a double header at Worthing, who I think were playing Yeovil Town. I found myself standing a matter of feet away from Alan Ball. He concentrated entirely on the game, whose score I forget, while studiously ignoring the locals who were shouting in his face what a load of hooligans supported the club he managed.

Are you sure the Brighton kicked off at midday? I think it may have been at 11, as I distinctly going home and having a coffee with a mate before heading off for the second game after the train traffic had died down.
You are most probably correct about the 11am kick-off - I just remember it was early. Ko times aren't something I've ever recorded, and I couldn't find a ticket stub for this (I'm sure it'd have been all-ticket?)

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Tuesday 31st March 1992
Football League Division 3
Bolton Wanderers 0-2 AFC Bournemouth
Attendance 4,905 (about 150 away fans)

My only visit to Burnden Park saw Cherries come away with three points thanks to goals from Efan Ekoku and Paul Wood. This was the season Bolton beat Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in an FA Cup 3rd round replay, the cup run meant promotion would have to wait another year for them. Classic old ground despite being three and a half sided after a considerable chunk of the open away terrace was cut away to make way for a supermarket a few years previously. When they got promoted to the Premier League a few years later they filled what little space they had in front of the supermarket with a very small seated stand that wouldn't have looked out of place at a non league ground.

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
You are most probably correct about the 11am kick-off - I just remember it was early. Ko times aren't something I've ever recorded, and I couldn't find a ticket stub for this (I'm sure it'd have been all-ticket?)
I am not so sure it was all ticket, actually. I think I paid at the gate, although, at the Goldstone Ground, cash turnstile queues moved faster than advance ticket ones in my experience.

Anyway, after checking, the second game I attended was indeed Worthing v Yeovil Town where Yeovil won 5-2 in front of 568. It sounds like a match I should have remembered, but all I can recall are the home fans berating Alan Ball and the visitors being very dismissive of the standard of the Isthmian League in their first season in it. They didn't win it, though.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Truro City 3-1 Curzon Ashton FA Vase SF 2nd leg

Truro overturned a 1 goal deficit from the 1st leg, and earned a trip to Wembley despite going a goal down early in the 2nd. Can't remember the exact attendance, but i think it was 2700+.
2,637 according to my Cherry Red Non League Newsdesk Annual 2007. I was at the other Semi-Final 2nd Leg that day:

Billingham Synthonia 1-2 AFC Totton (2-2 agg, AFC Totton won 5-4 on penalties)
Attendance 2,386

Travelled up on the Totton supporters coach which was also carrying the team's new pink away strip as the players travelled by plane, this meant the coach had to arrive early so left Testwood Lane at 5am. This gave me enough time on arrival to walk to Billingham Town's ground and take a look inside, have still to see a match there. Great performance from the Stags to overturn the 0-1 home defeat in the first leg. Loved the old ground with its large stand, only problem was the wind blowing coal from the track enclosing the pitch into my pie and peas!

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks