March 31st

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Rare midweek double, garnering a nostalgic revisit and a ‘tick’…

Tuesday 31st March 1992
Doncaster Rovers 1 Barnet 0 (HT 1-0)
Football League, Division Four (2.0)
Attendance 1,247
Programme 90p (24pp)

Belle Vue provided my first experience of live sport. My family lived on the outskirts of Doncaster for three years, 1970-73. Once I’d reached six, in 1971, Dad decided I was old enough to accompany him to football. A keen rambler, Dad wouldn’t drive anywhere he could walk. For games at Belle Vue (though Dad grew up in Sheffield and as a boy followed Wednesday, he had a ‘support the local club’ policy), we’d walk to the ground from our Bessacarr home. Must have been at least two miles. Dad figured the exercise kept us “warm until half-time”. Unless it was raining (or worse), we’d walk home, too!

One of Dad’s customers at the Doncaster Nat West had some sort of stewarding role at Belle Vue. On hearing I would be joining my dad from now on, he advised: “If you arrive at least an hour before kick-off, I’ll get Andrew in for nothing.” That’s how it went. For the couple of seasons before the family relocated to Calderdale (Mum and Dad were SO glad to escape Doncaster!), I entered the ground via a door in the back of the main stand. It accessed a kitchen. I remember vividly the smell of hot dogs. Handed a gratis programme (thereby a collecting habit launched!), I’d duck under the folding counter and join Dad (who paid, like a good ‘un) on the paddock. He’d stand on the top row; I’d go down the front. At six, I was just tall enough to rest my chin on the perimeter fence. In 1971, Belle Vue hadn’t fallen victim to the ‘wasting disease’ which, in later years, saw many of its facilities either halved in size or demolished. A sad end for a decent ground with a lush pitch renowned throughout the game.

After a few home matches (we never went away, possibly because all were beyond walking range!), I could recognise most of the Rovers players. Those prominent in my memory include goalkeeper Kim Book (along with his balding understudy, Glen Johnson), full-back Ian Branfoot (later to manage Reading, Southampton and Fulham), midfielder Archie Irvine and striker Mike Elwiss (30 goals in 97 league outings for Rovers and later a Preston North End stalwart).

Rovers used to run out (from a separate tunnel to that used by the opposition) to a rather catchy tune I enjoyed listening to at every home game. It was only some years later, when my designated departure time for bed was much later in the evening, I realised it was the iconic Match of the Day theme.

Unfortunately, the ‘admit-the-child-free’ arrangement set in motion a good-natured conflict unresolved until Dad’s death in 2000. Ideally, he would walk into the ground (any ground, any sport) just as the game was kicking off. I, on the other hand, had become accustomed to arriving much earlier. I enjoyed watching the crowd build and the players going through increasingly orchestrated warm-up routines. In later years, when I’d left home and would pick up Dad in the car to attend various games, he’d mutter to Mum about “Andrew wanting to be there before the players”. I had to remind him my habit was his fault!

Anyway, long after 1973, I’d make occasional nostalgic revisits to Belle Vue. Twenty years on, I was living at Great Ayton (near Stokesley). This Rovers-Barnet fixture, chosen because I could ‘tick’ Scunthorpe United’s Glanford Park in the evening, was arranged for a midweek afternoon because Belle Vue’s floodlights were out of action. The Football League, fearing Barnet might gain an unfair advantage, had refused permission for a switch to Oakwell, Barnsley.

In his programme notes, splendidly named Rovers manager Steve Beaglehole remarked: “I would certainly doubt whether any professional football match has taken as much time and trouble to be played as this one. Playing at this time of day will have a dramatic effect on our gate.” He described as “bleak” Rovers’ financial situation but added: “I am confident that we will survive.”

Humdrum contest, I recall, watched by a small crowd. In an atmosphere akin to a reserve game, Rovers scored the only goal in the first half to record one of nine league wins that season. The home line-up in the programme included Colin Douglas, Brendan Ormsby, Grant Morrow, Max Nicholson and Shane Reddish, with Geoff Cooper, Duncan Horton, Mark Carter, Gary Bull and Carl Hoddle down for Barnet. I daresay fellow posters attended. Rovers were to finish third-bottom, Barnet seventh (a play-off spot).

And so to not-always-sunny Scunny, via the A630, the M18, the M180 and the M181…

Scunthorpe United 2 Chesterfield 0 (HT 1-0)
Football League, Division Four (7.30)
Attendance 2,224
Programme £1 (32pp)

First encounter with Glanford Park, depressing crinkly tin/DIY superstore template for new grounds of the Eighties and beyond. Several revisits were to follow between 2005 and 2008, when I lived in North Lincolnshire’s so-called garden town. Not one of my better decisions. I was as glad to get out of Scunny as my parents, three decades earlier, had been to escape Doncaster. Somehow, annoyingly, I managed to miss Scunthorpe’s former home, the Old Show Ground (now a supermarket). From pictures I’ve seen, the OSG was everything GP isn’t. All together now: Britain’s first football stand with a cantilevered roof!

I doubt this spectacle was any more riveting than Rovers versus Barnet. A goal in each half secured the Iron maximum points. In action for the hosts were Paul Musselwhite, Dean Martin, Ian Hamilton, Dave Hill and Ian Helliwell, with the Spireites fielding Mick Leonard, Paul Lemon, Steve Norris, Trevor Hebberd and Jamie Hewitt. Couple of ex-Halifax men in there. Scunthorpe went on to finish fifth, making the play-offs, Chesterfield 13th. Jimmy Mullen’s Burnley, six points clear of Rotherham United and Mansfield Town, secured the last Division Four championship to join Wolverhampton Wanderers as the only team to top all four divisions (factoid courtesy of Wiki; is it correct?)

Plenty of bespoke content in the programme. Two crackers from its Did You Know? section:

When Chesterfield visited Darlington for a Division Three (North) game on 29th December, 1923 the frozen ground was unfit for play. The match was completed on the adjoining cricket pitch with the referee obtaining both clubs’ signed agreement before kick-off that all parties would stand by the result.

On 30th March, 1946 Stockport County and Doncaster Rovers played out a Northern Section Cup tie that lasted 205 minutes. Many spectators went home for tea [for any southerners reading this, that’s dinner] and returned to find that the weary players had still not managed to produce the winning goal. The game finally ended in a 4-4 draw.

A handful of others worth a mention:

Threave Rovers 5 Mid Annandale 1 (2009, South of Scotland League). A very foggy evening. Fortunate to escape an abandonment, especially in the second half. Very nice set-up at Meadow Park. Dominant Threave were 4-0 up before the visitors' consolation. Danny Dunglinson bagged a brace for the hosts. 95 your crowd. Accompanied by my future wife on our first holiday together. I recall, earlier in what had been a sunny day, we took the rowing boat over to the superb Threave Castle, built on an island.

Caistor Rovers 0 CGB Humbertherm 0 (2007, Lincolnshire League). Tempted to this one chiefly because Caistor were issuing programmes, partly because I was halfway through three years living in North Lincolnshire. During the warm-up, strong wind suggested a goalless draw was inevitable. It never abated. Rovers' Gary Nimmo shot over from four yards in the first half; Humbertherm's Robbie Beecroft contrived a similar miss after the break. Otherwise, dire. The programme was a 40-pager.

Haverfordwest County 0 Total Network Solutions 1 (2006, Welsh Premier League). Hardly anybody beat TNS, though an enthusiastically supported Haverfordwest gave it their best shot. Top scorer Marc Lloyd-Williams, a prolific marksman at various Welsh (and other) clubs, sprang the offside trap to hit the visitors’ 32nd-minute winner after earlier striking a post. Tim Hicks (60) squandered County’s best chance. Victory moved TNS to within eight points of retaining the title. A wet, windy Friday evening - part of a rain-ruined Laugharne cottage holiday mentioned in earlier threads - attracted 301 to Bridge Meadow. TNS duly won the league championship, 18 points ahead of Llanelli.

Sutton Coldfield Town 1 Boston United 0 (1999, Southern League Cup, Semi-Final, Second Leg). Last-minute winner for the hosts, who went through 3-2 on aggregate. The evergreen Paul Bastock (naturally) in goal for Boston. 275 at Coles Lane. The Royals later lifted the trophy.

Other sports:

Heworth 8 Rochdale Mayfield 13 (2001, rugby league, National Conference League, Division One). In ‘tick’ mode at one of amateur rugby league’s finer grounds. Elmpark Way has a stand, grass ‘terracing’ and floodlights. Little did I know I’d relocate to York eight years later! Mayfield edged a cracking game between teams at opposite ends of the table. The visitors were grateful for three points in the last 10 minutes from the boot of scrum-half Chris Wilkinson. Struggling Heworth dominated the first half but were left to rue scrum-half Carl Potter fluffing a straightforward penalty and two drop goal attempts.

Middlesbrough Bears 64 Sheffield Tigers 32 (1994, speedway, British League, Division Two). I reported on Middlesbrough Speedway, for the Evening Gazette, Teesside’s newspaper, during the club’s last three seasons - 1994, 1995 and 1996 - at the Cleveland Park circuit. Best sport I’ve covered: no hulking egos, the Press welcomed with open arms, easy access to any and every rider and team manager. I can recall only one rider (best not name him) in three seasons who was uncooperative.

This was Bears’ first home league match of the 1994 campaign, for which hopes were high. But March is way too cold for the tapes to rise on a summer sport! Skipper Graham Jones, a high-profile winter recruit from, IIRC, Wolves, and Bears team-mate Paul ‘Banger’ Bentley contributed five-ride paid maximums. Captain Shawn Moran (paid 10 from six), the stylish Californian, top-scored for Sheffield. Moran’s Tigers team-mate Roman Matousek died earlier this year.

Unfortunately, a serious back injury sustained by Jones a couple of weeks later at Long Eaton pretty much ended the rider’s career. Bears’ 1994 season was effectively over before it had begun. I can still see the ‘coming-together’ on Station Road’s back straight of Jones and Invaders favourite Neil Collins. In the jargon: a racing accident. The site of Cleveland Park, opened in 1928, is now occupied by college buildings and synthetic five-a-side pitches. Such a shame. The speedway track, always prepared superbly by curator Tony Swales, permitted overtaking, both inside and outside.
Also one of the meagre attendees at Donny Andrew.

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular
2009 SSML Prem
Haringey Borough 1 v Welwyn Garden City 2
Attendance 44

DonQuixote

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
Brentwood 3-0 Romford
Eastern Floodlight League

Have no recollections of said game played at the old Hive ground.

Romford 1-3 Chelmsford
Southern Premier Division
Att: 2.049

Defeat against the 'Dark Side' was hard to take and all but
sealed our relegation.

Barnet 0-2 Darlington

Also at Underhill - on press duty. Easily won by the Quakers with
David Geddis on fire for the visitors.

Can remember interviewing Brian Little on the pitch after the game;
he had about as much charisma as a bowl of soup...

Twas the day of the London Poll Tax riots and having got off the Northern
line at Charing Cross, all hell had broken loose and then some.

Central London tubes were totally screwed and black cabs were only
noticeable by their paucity but having found one parked up, the driver
was filling his face with a Pot Noodle, or something of that ilk, and was
on his lunch break.

True to type, his mind was swiftly changed after promising to cross his
palm with extra silver and we swiftly departed towards Express Towers.

I loved the smell of expenses on a Saturday morning...

Ropemaker

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Only seen Hailsham games on March 31st over the years but the Worthing United game was a new ground

1990 Sussex County League D1 Hailsham Town 0 Three Bridges 3 Att: ?
2001 Sussex County League D2 Worthing United 2 Hailsham Town 2 Att: 87
2012 Sussex County League D2 Hailsham Town 2 Southwick 2 Att: 61

Warwickian

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
From the sublime to the ridiculous.Two different days from the 31st March.

Monday 31st March 1986
Wednesfield Social 2 Wolverhampton United 1
West Midlands League.Premier Divison
This game very nearly didn't take place.It was supposed to be at Wolverhampton United's ground at Prestwood Road West but upon arrival at the ground I was informed they had switched to the Cottage Ground,Amos Lane home of Wednesfield due to a waterlogged pitch.No problem for me as I hadn't been there so I drove across to Wednesfield to see the Social win their 'away' game 2-1 in front of an attendance of 65.
Afterwards a drive upto Derbyshire for my afternoon match.
Borrowash Victoria 2 North Ferriby United 1
Northern Counties East League.Premier Division
No problems with this match as Borrowash beat their Humberside visitors who were a few years away from their climb up the leagues.
My final match of this day was another Derbyshire ground and one I hope to revisit one day
Matlock Town 0 Burton Albion 2
Northern Premier League.
Back in the 80s all evening games kicked off at 7.30 and this was an excellent match with The Brewers winning with a goal in each half.An attendance of 581 and its interesting to note that Matlock are still in the same league whilst Burton are now in League One of the Football League something you would never have guessed would happen back in 1986!

Once the clocks go back its the start of the silly season for me and many others on this forum visiting some fairly low level football clubs which can be very enjoyable although occasionally there's the odd one that makes you question what you are doing...and this one was certainly one!
Thursday 31st March 2011
Coventry Spires 2 Washford Lions 1
Stratford Alliance.Division Two
This was played at Coundon Hall,Waste Lane,Coundon which is a suburb of Coventry.Just a pitch with no facilities,poor game,drab weather.The only good thing was that there was a few others who post on this forum who also had to suffer 90 minutes of poor football! The attendance was 9.Not that this put me off.I went to Claverdon a couple of weeks later in the same league and it was 100% better than Coventry Spires!!

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Regular
Saturday 31 March 2018

Southern Division 1 South East

Ashford Town (Middx) 4 Uxbridge 1

Attendance - 129. Scorers for ATM were Gough on 12 and 67 (pen) , Howard on 47 and Moody on 87. For some reason I don't have the Uxbridge scorer, but it was 1-1 at HT so that narrows the time at least down a bit.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Plenty of games , 43 x games , 1 x 0-0 , 2 x trebles , 4 x doubles.

Not much quality to choose from but settled on just the one in 2006.

Friday @ 16-00.
Romanian top tier.
@ Vaslui Municipal Stadium.
Stadionul Municipal - Vaslui

Vaslui 0 v 3 Sportul Studentesc.
Att 1,500.

Flew out on Thursday with Luthansa changing at Frankfurt. Arriving in Otopeni at 13-50.
Made way into Bucharest and we decided to head straight to Vaslui and play it by ear. Arrived after a train ride from Bucharest Nord at about 21-00. A 16-00 departure from Noord station rings a bell.

The station was central and I knew here was a 5x hotel near the stadium about half a mile from station so we paid sixpence and had a taxi to Hotel Racvic (?) and they had no shortage of rooms.
So a nice twin with breakfast was acquired.
A few beers and a meal and bed time at about 01-00. It was that cheap we booked it for 2 nights even though we would be on the sleeper on the Friday night / Sat morning.

This was Round 19 of the Romanian season and Vaslui were rock bottom with the visitors in a comfortable mid table spot.
------------------------------------------------------
1. Dinamo Bucuresti 19 12 3 4 40 - 17 39
2. Steaua Bucuresti 19 11 6 2 32 - 11 39
3. Rapid Bucuresti 19 9 6 4 25 - 17 33
4. CFR Ecomax Cluj 19 9 6 4 22 - 17 33
5. Sportul Studentesc Bucuresti 19 9 5 5 30 - 18 32
6. FCU Politehnica Timisoara 19 9 5 5 24 - 14 32
7. FC National Bucuresti 19 9 5 5 21 - 20 32
8. FC Arges Pitesti 19 7 6 6 20 - 17 27
9. Farul Constanta 19 8 2 9 24 - 27 26
10. Politehnica Iasi 19 7 4 8 14 - 18 25
11. Gloria Bistrita 19 6 5 8 14 - 23 23
12. Jiul Petrosani 19 4 7 8 18 - 26 19
13. Otelul Galati 19 3 7 9 16 - 28 16
14. Pandurii Tg. Jiu 19 4 4 11 13 - 25 16
------------------------------------------------------
15. FCM Bacau 19 3 4 12 13 - 32 13
16. FC Vaslui 19 1 7 11 10 - 26 10

Studentesc had no problems beating Vaslui with goals on 42 (Ferfelfa) , 64 ( Mazilu) & 94 ( Curelca),
Shown into the office pre game and had something tasting of Vodka / Rocket Fuel.
5 minute walk back to hotel after game to shower / eat / chill then a taxi to the station for the half past midnight sleeper to Bucharest Noord , arriving approx. at 06-00.

I remember I went walkabout to find a hotel for that night (Sat) which wasn't a problem , another 5 x hotel for about a tenner. Arranged with reception to dump bags and come back when possible for our nights kip. Then it was off to the first of our treble for the day an 11-00 kick off in Tier 2 at Otopeni , but that's another day. Don't think it will feature tomorrow.

Interesting though Vaslui got out of relegation with a marvelous last 11 games with 2 losses inc last game at home when already safe against champions elect Steau 0-4.

2 loses , 4 draws and 5 wins , would not have thought that after the game I was at.

Final Table:

1.FC Steaua Bucuresti 30 19 7 4 49-16 64 Champions
2.AFC Rapid Bucuresti 30 17 8 5 47-23 59 UEFA Cup
3.FC Dinamo Bucuresti 30 17 5 8 56-32 56 [2 1 0 1 6-5 3] UEFA Cup
4.Sportul Studentesc Bucuresti 30 17 5 8 54-35 56 [2 1 0 1 5-6 3]
5.CFR Ecomax Cluj 30 14 8 8 36-27 50
6.FC National Bucuresti 30 13 7 10 32-37 46
7.FC Farul Constanta 30 14 3 13 39-38 45 UI Cup
8.FCU Politehnica Timisoara 30 10 10 10 34-31 40
9.Otelul Galati 30 10 9 11 35-37 39 [4 2 2 0 2-0 8]
10.Gloria Bistrita 30 11 6 13 27-34 39 [4 1 2 1 2-2 5]
11.Poli Unirea Iasi 30 11 6 13 28-31 39 [4 0 2 2 1-3 2]
12.FC Arges Pitesti 30 8 8 14 27-37 32 [*]
13.Jiul Petrosani 30 7 9 14 28-39 30
14.FC Vaslui 30 6 11 13 23-37 29
-----------------------------------------------------
15.Pandurii Lignitul Targu Jiu 30 6 7 17 22-44 25 Relegated
16.FCM Bacau 30 3 5 22 16-55 14 Relegated

EDIT.
Just to add Vaslui were involved in the Title deciders in R30 on June 7 , Steau at Vaslui needed to win and they were champions , remembering the form Vaslui were in it wouldn't be that easy , would it ?.
The other contender Rapid had to win at Jiul Petrosani on the same day / time.

Steau did the job by winning 4-0 while Rapid were losing their rag at Jiul , 4 sendings off /conceeding a penalty on 73 which was converted they then had a 5th player sent off on 76 and the game was abandoned at 1- 0.
Game was awarded a 3 - 0 win for Jiul. Suppose you would all have counted / tick that :unsure: .

The other team I saw Sportul Studentesc although finishing 4th were kicked down a level through fraud charges. 2nd bottom Pandurii were reprieved.

Last edited:

AV1960

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Doncaster Rovers (1) 1 Barnet (0) 0
Tuesday 31st March, 1992, Att.: 1,247

Along with Stoodley Pike and Ian S, I also jumped at the chance of a mid-week revisit to Belle Vue. I did wonder if the attendance might be my lowest for a Div 4 game but it didn't quite make it. Maidstone United 2 Crewe 0 at Dartford (Att.: 1,174) is still my record, set just 20 days before on 11/3/92.
From Belle Vue, it was on to:

Frickley Athletic (0) 1 Matlock Town (0) 0
Northern Premier League Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg
At Westfield Lane

My main memory of Frickley's ground is that it was dominated by a sizeable main stand, which I believe is still there today.
The game finished 3-3 on aggregate with Frickley progressing to the Final. This must have been on away goals as my records make no mention of penalties. Reaching the Final was presumably a big deal as it was played at Maine Road, but Frickley lost there by 0-1 to Marine.
An excellent day out, no doubt helped by the fact that you could actually drive back late at night from Yorkshire to Staffordshire in those days without dodging multiple motorway closures.

pokal02

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
...and another at Doncaster v Barnet. (My lowest attendance for level 4 was a Doncaster - Barnet game, but not this one, the gate at Belle Vue on a Tuesday a few years later was 705). Was on the Bees supporters coach which arrived back about 7:00 so could only get to Enfield v Kingstonian (4-0) that evening. The KO was in fact delayed as Enfield forgot the clocks had gone forward so the time switch for the floodlights was an hour wrong!

I also have two Barnet - Darlingtons (0-2 and 2-1, the second in 2007 where a Darlo player got a straight red in the 1st minute) - struggling for much non-Barnet - Bowers v Brentwood in 1999 (4-0) is one of the few - can't remember much about the game though.

Last edited:

The Willows

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Tuesday 31st March1970

Nottingham Forest 1 Manchester United 2 (39,228)

As an 8 year old, this was only my 2nd experience of watching live football. For some reason i'd gone against supporting the popular teams but now consider myself fortunate to have seen George Best the footballing genius and other household names in action. Thanks Dad.

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1986 was probably the first time I did two games in a single day, although the cup final at Kingstonian's old ground was a revisit.

My 1992 visit to Colwyn Bay was prompted by the likelihood that they'd leave Wales to play in exile in England the following season.

I assume from the size of the crowd that Dartington in 2002 must have been a hop game, the evening game in 2018 definitely was.

The 2004 visit to Sweden was a day trip, the first time I'd flown straight in and out for an England away game.

The 2010 fixture was technically a Shevington home game but was switched to Winstanley's then home at the Wigan Soccerdome (they've since moved).

2019 is the first appearance of a summer league game on one of these lists, although it was Macduff's opening game of the season.

I've seen three teams called Santos, based in Manchester, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Today's photo is from my 1999 visit to the Derby-based club, who played at Parker's Piece. According to my records they folded at the end of that season.

1986 11.30am London Spartan League, Premier Div: Hanwell Town 5 Waltham Abbey 1 (att 40)
1986 3pm Surrey Senior Cup Final: Chertsey Town 0 Sutton United 2 (700) at Kingstonian FC
1987 Southern League, Southern Div: Erith and Belvedere 1 Corinthian 1 (120)
1990 Leicestershire Senior League, Premier Div: Lutterworth Town 2 St Andrews 4 (103)
1992 Northern Premier Lge, Div 1 Cup SF 2nd leg: Colwyn Bay 5 Newtown 0 (agg 7-0) (537)
1994 Gloucestershire County Lge: Winterbourne United 3 Patchway Town 3 (23)
1997 Gloucestershire County Lge: Bitton 2 Pucklechurch Sports 0 (150)
1998 Liverpool County Combination, Div 2: Rainhill Town 2 Plessey (GPT) reserves 1 (10)
1999 Midlands Regional Alliance, Premier Div: Santos 2 Slack and Parr 1 (52)
2001 West Yorkshire League, Premier Div: Sandy Lane 6 Knaresborough Town 0 (11)
2002 Devon League: Dartington Sports Club 1 Stoke Gabriel 1 (331)
2004 International friendly: Sweden 1 England 0 (40,464) at Nya Ullevi, Gothenburg
2005 North Lancs & District Lge, Premier Div: Slyne with Hest 4 Boys Club of Lancaster 7 (36)
2007 SJFA West Region, Central League, Div 2: Royal Albert 1 Ashfield 3 (39)
2008 North Lancs & District Lge, Div 2: Burton Thistle 0 Bowerham 3 (16)
2010 Wigan & District Amateur Lge, Premier Div: Winstanley St Aidans 4 Shevington 1 (16)
2011 Blackburn & District Combination, Premier Div: The Manxman 1 Knuzden 1 (11)
2012 11am FL Youth Alliance: Carlisle United U18 3 Macclesfield Town U18 0 (50)
2012 2pm Cumberland County Lge, Div 1: Whitehaven Miners Social 0 Windscale 2 (25)
2015 Liverpool Old Boys Amateur Lge, Div 1: Wavertree West Derby Old Boys 4 Cardinal Newman 2 (6)
2018 2.30pm South Devon Lge, Div 1: Paignton Saints 7 Babbacombe Corinthians 0 (18)
2018 7pm South West Peninsula Lge, Div 1 West: Plymouth Marjon 2 Millbrook 3 (293)
2019 North East Scotland Lge, Div 2: Macduff 3 Cuminestown United 3 (45)

1754.jpg

Ciderjon

Junior Team Starter
Saturday 31st March 2001
Dinas Powys 9 Abergavenny Thursdays 0
Welsh League Div 3
Attn 46 Admit £1 Prog 50p

I rather liked The Murch, small and tightly hemmed in, meaning developments concentrated on one side. I watched from the other side as the home side seemed to score at will.

Thursdays were, sadly, on a downwards spiral which saw them shoot through the three divisions of the Gwent County League and shortly falling headlong into the dreadful Chasm of Abeyance. A great loss to Welsh football.

martin55

Junior Team Regular
1986 was probably the first time I did two games in a single day, although the cup final at Kingstonian's old ground was a revisit.

My 1992 visit to Colwyn Bay was prompted by the likelihood that they'd leave Wales to play in exile in England the following season.

I assume from the size of the crowd that Dartington in 2002 must have been a hop game, the evening game in 2018 definitely was.

The 2004 visit to Sweden was a day trip, the first time I'd flown straight in and out for an England away game.

The 2010 fixture was technically a Shevington home game but was switched to Winstanley's then home at the Wigan Soccerdome (they've since moved).

2019 is the first appearance of a summer league game on one of these lists, although it was Macduff's opening game of the season.

I've seen three teams called Santos, based in Manchester, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Today's photo is from my 1999 visit to the Derby-based club, who played at Parker's Piece. According to my records they folded at the end of that season.

1986 11.30am London Spartan League, Premier Div: Hanwell Town 5 Waltham Abbey 1 (att 40)
1986 3pm Surrey Senior Cup Final: Chertsey Town 0 Sutton United 2 (700) at Kingstonian FC
1987 Southern League, Southern Div: Erith and Belvedere 1 Corinthian 1 (120)
1990 Leicestershire Senior League, Premier Div: Lutterworth Town 2 St Andrews 4 (103)
1992 Northern Premier Lge, Div 1 Cup SF 2nd leg: Colwyn Bay 5 Newtown 0 (agg 7-0) (537)
1994 Gloucestershire County Lge: Winterbourne United 3 Patchway Town 3 (23)
1997 Gloucestershire County Lge: Bitton 2 Pucklechurch Sports 0 (150)
1998 Liverpool County Combination, Div 2: Rainhill Town 2 Plessey (GPT) reserves 1 (10)
1999 Midlands Regional Alliance, Premier Div: Santos 2 Slack and Parr 1 (52)
2001 West Yorkshire League, Premier Div: Sandy Lane 6 Knaresborough Town 0 (11)
2002 Devon League: Dartington Sports Club 1 Stoke Gabriel 1 (331)
2004 International friendly: Sweden 1 England 0 (40,464) at Nya Ullevi, Gothenburg
2005 North Lancs & District Lge, Premier Div: Slyne with Hest 4 Boys Club of Lancaster 7 (36)
2007 SJFA West Region, Central League, Div 2: Royal Albert 1 Ashfield 3 (39)
2008 North Lancs & District Lge, Div 2: Burton Thistle 0 Bowerham 3 (16)
2010 Wigan & District Amateur Lge, Premier Div: Winstanley St Aidans 4 Shevington 1 (16)
2011 Blackburn & District Combination, Premier Div: The Manxman 1 Knuzden 1 (11)
2012 11am FL Youth Alliance: Carlisle United U18 3 Macclesfield Town U18 0 (50)
2012 2pm Cumberland County Lge, Div 1: Whitehaven Miners Social 0 Windscale 2 (25)
2015 Liverpool Old Boys Amateur Lge, Div 1: Wavertree West Derby Old Boys 4 Cardinal Newman 2 (6)
2018 2.30pm South Devon Lge, Div 1: Paignton Saints 7 Babbacombe Corinthians 0 (18)
2018 7pm South West Peninsula Lge, Div 1 West: Plymouth Marjon 2 Millbrook 3 (293)
2019 North East Scotland Lge, Div 2: Macduff 3 Cuminestown United 3 (45)

View attachment 510
Yes 2002 was a hop game. Dartington in the morning (11:30) and Buckland Athletic v Newton Abbot Spurs at 2:30 (@Homers Lane; 2-3; Att: 586)

huttonpark

Junior Team Starter
Good Friday Morning 31 March 1972
Football League Division 1
West Ham United 2 Leeds United 2
Attendance 41003
Programme 5p

A near full house at Upton Park.
West Ham were comfortably mid table whereas Leeds were challenging for the title.
Leeds had a team full of famous names including Jack Charlton, Billy Bremner, Norman Hunter, Terry Cooper and Johnny Giles. The start of the game went very well for West Ham and it was 2-0 at half time after goals by Billy Bonds and Geoff Hurst. However Leeds managed to fight back for a draw in the second half and eventually finished the season runners up to Derby County.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
1992 (Tuesday)

Stockport County 3 West Bromwich Albion 0
Football League Division 3
@ Edgeley Park K.O. 19.30
Att: 6090

At this game standing Baggies' fans were given the open Railway End and half of the covered Popular Side terrace which was in its last year before being replaced by seats. I had opted for the Pop Side but the ticket has no price on it. Comparing the attendance with previous games suggests there were probably 1500-2000 away fans there.

1991 - 1992 were the dreadful 'Bobby Gould Years' at Albion. At the end of the 1990/91 season he had guided to club down to Division 3, leaving Everton as the only founder member of the Football League to have played all subsequent seasons at the top two levels. After a reasonable start, performances in 1991/92 season began to tail off and by the time of this game even the playoffs looked unlikely.

The programme (£1) advised that this season was the first time the two clubs had met for 80 years and, in the previous 15 meetings, County had won only once. I doubt whether many Albion fans at the game were surprised to see County double that figure with a win that was as comprehensive as the score suggests. The team list gave a good indication of the poor quality of the Albion squad. With one exception, nobody is likely to be mentioned by any fan of the era asked to name their favourite players. A couple of the names I have no recollection of at all. The exception was "Super" Bob Taylor who had only joined from Bristol City two months earlier (an unusual good piece of business by Gould) and went on to become something of a folk hero.

Snippets from the programme include;
a message for Albion fans that the Fancy Dress theme for the last away game of the season was Beachware;
a letter from a home fan asking if the electronic scoreboard had come with a guarantee as it never seemed to be working;
a report that, with tickets for the away game at Brentford being priced at £9.50, sales were slow.

Stockport did reach the playoffs, losing to Peterborough in the final. Albion finished seventh before finally getting rid of Gould and going back up a season later.

Last edited:

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
Monday 31st March 1986 ~
Division Two
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-3 Portsmouth

...which took place two days after the Wimbledon match I wrote up for the 29th RWDYG. This was a midday kick-off on Easter Monday, so we caught the train from Havant to Brighton at about 9am, then walked along the seafront to Hove and the Goldstone Ground. It chucked it down in the morning, but the sun was out by kick-off - good job, cos we were watching from the vast uncovered Goldstone Lane side terrace. From that night's 'Match Of The Day'...

On a very boggy pitch, Pompey took advantage of some really slack Albion defending in the first-half, and were three-up by half-time, before easing up after the break and letting the hosts pull two back - O'Regan's goal at the very end was a corker, though even at the time I remember thinking he was spending way too much time celebrating the fact instead of getting back in position. I took an interest in Dean Saunder's decent performance too, as he'd not long joined Brighton from a bankrupt Swansea City.

This match also showed up the rather odd rivalry that still exists between Brighton and Pompey - it's only 38 miles from Fratton to Hove, and the derby always drags in a bumper crowd, but both camps seem to go out of their ways to positively ignore the other. There's certainly no love lost, but the intensity of the Pompey/Saints and Brighton/Palace rivalries seem to leave little room for seconds. At this match in 1986, Brighton's fans gave Vince Hilaire plenty of stick, and we reveled in the fact that he played a blinder that day, but that was about as far as it went.
I was also at the Goldstone Ground that day which was my local ground at the time. Oddly enough, this match came up in conversation before Altrincham's last match when one of my friends said he hoped Portsmouth went up, following the friendly welcome we had there earlier this season. I snarled back, citing their horrible fans' (present company excepted, obviously) behaviour at this match. I don't recall much ignoring going on!
Afterwards, I went back home before heading out for the second part of a double header at Worthing, who I think were playing Yeovil Town. I found myself standing a matter of feet away from Alan Ball. He concentrated entirely on the game, whose score I forget, while studiously ignoring the locals who were shouting in his face what a load of hooligans supported the club he managed.

Are you sure the Brightom kicked off at midday? I think it may have been at 11, as I distinctly going home and having a coffee with a mate before heading off for the second game after the train traffic had died down.

Last edited:

mayo

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bradford City (lapsed)
Monday 31st March 1986

My final match of this day was another Derbyshire ground and one I hope to revisit one day
Matlock Town 0 Burton Albion 2
Northern Premier League.
Back in the 80s all evening games kicked off at 7.30 and this was an excellent match with The Brewers winning with a goal in each half.An attendance of 581 and its interesting to note that Matlock are still in the same league whilst Burton are now in League One of the Football League something you would never have guessed would happen back in 1986!
I was also at this match, which was supposed to be the third game of a treble. Ended up being the second game of a double - I turned up at Alvechurch in the morning to find the the game had been postponed, reason unknown but possibly waterlogged. Finally ticked Alvechurch about 3 and a half years later. My afternoon game was -

Nottingham Forest 3-0 Birmingham City
Football League Division 1

Easy win for Forest, who barely broke sweat. Brum had an awful season, being comfortably relegated along with neighbours West Brom who were somehow even worse. Forest finished 8th, which was about average for them at that time under Cloughie.

hemelhopper

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Hemel Hempstead Town; Trust Portsmouth FC and the Reds of Cincinnati
March 31st has provided me with quite a few games along the way .. in 2007, Fulham and Portsmouth played out a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage in the Premiership .. in 2009 Brackley Town got the better of Hemel Hempstead Town 3-2 in Southern League, Premier .. and then embarrassment at Fratton Park in 2012, as Portsmouth went down 1-5 to Burnley in the Championship.

An enjoyable visit in 2015 took me to Woking, seeing Westfield draw 1-1 with Horley Town in the Combined Counties League, Premier .. whilst the following season I was to be found at Thame United 0-3 Flackwell Heath in Hellenic League, Premier .. and the most recent Non-League game in 2018 with a trip to,

Ringmer 5-0 Southwick (Southern Combination League, Division 1)
- played at The Caburn, Anchor Field, Ringmer

Att – 45 (h/c); Entry - £5; No prog; Cuppa for £1
Weather – kept dry, with a late heavy shower towards end of game
Colours – Blues in all blue .. Wickers in all yellow with black stripes

Car park was full on arrival but good on street parking available .. simple turnstile opened up into main canopy overhang of Clubhouse .. a caged affect with line of plastic seats along concourse .. good sized bar and small tea hatch .. opposite was the main stand and dug outs .. no access to the bottom end .. with large netting erected behind both goals to keep ball from gardens .. our pitch firm at the top end, soft down the bottom and heavy going in places.

Just the one first half goal on 35 a lobbed shot into top left from edge of box opened the scoring for the hosts .. second half it was all Blues kicking down the slope, taking the game by the scruff of neck .. with further goals on 52, as defender cleared to edge of box, leaving host midfielder to place left side .. then on 57 the ball bounced around and dropped conveniently for a turn and "pick the bones out of that" from edge of box into top left .. followed on 64 when a well taken goal on run was dispatched towards back post .. all wrapped up on 84 when the offside trap was breached and 3 forwards attacked just the keeper and from a right sided slide pass, to central forward, all that was required was a tap in .. impressive stuff from the hosts but sadly after finishing 4th in the Division, they withdrew from the League over the summer.

.. and those Road Trip updates - out in the States during 2006, I’d made my way from New Jersey through Pennsylvania to Harrisburg, then south to Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry and the Skyline Drive of Shenandoah National Park, for an overnight stop in Waynesboro, VA .. whilst in 2014, another USA Road trip brought me to Opening Day in Cincinnati, as the Reds hosted the Cardinals and got beat by a single run 0-1 in front of 43,134 MLB patrons, on a beautiful sunny Spring day.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Was also at the Barnet v Darlington game in 1990, attendance 5,880 including a good 1,000 from Darlington, who had most of the open end and half the covered side. Had a soft spot for Barnet since the Barry Fry era of the 1980's and this was my third visit to Underhill. Had to send off a postal application for this all-ticket game. Bere Regis Coaches (don't think they exist anymore) ran a daily service to London back then and also a connecting service from Verwood, where I lived, to Ringwood to catch the main service. Lots of people on the coach were going to the anti Poll Tax demonstration and with plenty of time before the game I also headed to the start of this at Kennington Park before leaving when the march reached Kennington tube station where I caught the Northern Line all the way to High Barnet.

Onto Easter Monday 1997 and a double header in Sussex, beginning 1100 at Peacehaven & Telscombe in County League Division 1. Struggling to remember who they were playing without trying to find the programme somewhere at the back of the shed but, consulting the results chart in the 1998 Non League Directory, will take a guess at it being the 2-0 win over near neighbours Saltdean United, attendance 208, sure somebody on here will correct me if I've guessed the wrong game :oops:. It was a lovely warm sunny day and a nice scenic ground between the south downs and the sea. There was a cover just inside the entrance adjoining the clubhouse on the south side, no seats back then but sure they must have some now.

1500 - Dr Martens League Premier Division
Crawley Town 0-2 Hastings Town - Attendance 943
This was Crawley's last season at the old Town Mead ground before moving to the new Broadfield Stadium so a must tick at the time. Both teams were still in relegation trouble going into this game but ultimately survived. Home fans were unhappy with the result and staged a sit down protest on the pitch at the end of the game calling for the head of John Maggs, who by then had stepped up from manager to chairman.

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
1990 Swindon Town 1 Leicester C 1 League Division Two Att: 8,561
Don't recall much about the game; I was living in London at the time, so home games were a rarity but I hadn't seen Leicester C before, so made the effort. I took one of my housemates down to Wiltshire for this and he was underwhelmed as a Wednesday fan. Our goal was a Spearing og.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks