March 30th

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
We're off,,, the clocks have gone foward so we're all supposed to feel more 'summery'. But where did you go on this day?

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
On this day one year ago, I was at...

Saturday 30th March 2019 ~
National League North
Workington 2-4 Nantwich Town

...making the pilgrimage to the wonderful Borough Park, in the light of its uncertain future.

Other matches seen on this day in history...

Saturday 30th March 1991 ~ Portsmouth 4-1 Bristol City
Saturday 30th March 1996 ~ Portsmouth 0-2 West Bromwich Albion
Tuesday 30th March 2010 ~ Abingdon Town 2-2 Kidlington

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Only 34 to pick from on this date.
With my OCD and completeness head on I'll just pick on one although it didn't quite finish the DDR top tier , that took another trip in a fortnight.

Anyway the DDR and West Germany declared unification officially on the 3rd of October 1990.
The separate top tiers were having one last season each before the East merged into the German Bundesliga system and this 90/91 DDR season was a qualifying event to move into the Bundesliga.

Anyway lets raise the level on here with a bit of Kipling , no not Angel Slices, bloody Rudyard and the first line of the poem ''The Ballad of East and West''.
''Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,''. Got that ruddy wrong.

Saturday 30th, 1991.
15-00.
DDR NOFV Oberliga, (Top tier).
@ Huttenwerker Stadium. (AKA Waldstrasse)
See the source image

EisenhuttenstadterFC Stahl 0 v 0 Hansa Rostock.

Stahl - Rudwaleit , Hirsch ,Kluge , Menze, Schnurer , Bitzka, Bartz , Lahn , Schultz , Wittke , Lohnert.
Manager - Gunter Reinke.

Hansa - Hoffmann , Alms , Marz , Werner , Babendererde , Wahl , Caligiuri , Dowe , Schulz , Fuchs , Weichert.
Manager - Uwe Reinders.

This Round 14 game was postponed on its original date of Feb 23 , the only game on this date and it had a tight game forecast.
It was and a poor 0-0 draw left Hansa better pleased than Stahl who were trying to avoid the drop. Even Hansa leading scorer was Fuchs.
Hansa looked good for a top 2 position and a place in the Bundesliga for 91/92. This they achieved alongside Dynamo Dresden.

Below thanks to RSSSF.
FINAL TABLE:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. FC Hansa Rostock ..................... 35 26 13 - 9 - 4 44: 25 +19 (1) CHAMPIONS + Cup Winners [EC1]
2. 1. FC Dynamo Dresden ............32 26 12 - 8 - 6 48: 28 +20 (1)
3. FC Rot-Weiß Erfurt ................... 31 26 11 - 9 - 6 30: 26 + 4 (2) UEFA Cup [EC3]
4. Hallescher FC Chemie ...............29 26 10 - 9 - 7 40: 31 + 9 (2) UEFA Cup [EC3]
5. Chemnitzer FC ........................ 29 26 9 - 11 - 6 24: 23 + 1 (2)
6. FC Carl Zeiss Jena ................... 28 26 12 - 4 - 10 41: 36 + 5 (2)
7. 1. FC Lokomotive Leipzig .........28 26 10 - 8 - 8 37: 33 + 4 (3)
8. BSV Stahl Brandenburg .........…27 26 9 - 9 - 8 34: 31 + 3 (3)
9. Eisenhüttenstädter FC Stahl ....26 26 7 - 12 - 7 29: 25 + 4 (4) Cup Winners Cup [EC2]
10. 1. FC Magdeburg ......................26 26 9 - 8 - 9 34: 32 + 2 (4)
11. FC Berlin ............................ 26 7 - 8 - 11 25: 39 -14 (4)
12. FC Sachsen Leipzig ...............…22 26 6 - 10 - 10 23: 38 -15 (4)
13. FC Energie Cottbus ............……16 26 3 - 10 - 13 21: 38 -17 (4)
14. FC Viktoria 91 Frankfurt/Oder13 26 4 - 5 - 17 29: 54 -25 (4)

FC Vorwärts Frankfurt became FC Viktoria 91 Frankfurt/Oder (14/2/1991)

(1) Qualified for the Bundesliga 1991/1992:
FC Hansa Rostock
1. FC Dynamo Dresden

(2) Qualified for the Zweite Bundesliga 1991/1992: [directly]
FC Rot-Weiß Erfurt
Hallescher FC Chemie (became Hallescher FC at 1/7/1991)
Chemnitzer FC
FC Carl Zeiss Jena

(3) Qualified for the Zweite Bundesliga 1991/1992: [after play-offs]
1. FC Lokomotive Leipzig (changed to VfB Leipzig; 1/7/1991)
BSV Stahl Brandenburg

(4) Relegated to the Third Level: (Amateur-Oberliga Nordost-Nord, Nordost-Mitte, Nordost-Süd)
Eisenhüttenstädter FC Stahl
1. FC Magdeburg
FC Berlin
FC Sachsen Leipzig
FC Energie Cottbus
FC Viktoria 91 Frankfurt/Oder

TOP-SCORERS:
20 Torsten Gütschow ........ Dynamo Dresden
13 Lutz Schülbe ............ HFC Chemie
11 Henri Fuchs ............. Hansa Rostock
10 Heiko Laessig ........... 1. FC Magdeburg
9 Carsten Clee ............ Carl Zeiss Jena
9 Armin Romstedt .......... Rot-Weiß Erfurt
8 Timo Löhnert ............ Stahl Eissenhüttenstadt

Stahl despite relegation got to the Cup Final on Saturday June 2, which they lost to Hansa 1-0 at the Friedrich Jahn Sportpark in Berlin . So with Hansa winning the double Stahl entered the UEFA Cup Winners Cup 1991/92 , they represented East Germany despite nowadays playing in Germany.
They had 2 games in R1 against Galatasaray losing both legs , 2-1 at home and 3-0 at the Ali Sami Yen.

I suppose I could say that despite the Hansa league game I enjoyed my stay in Eisenhuttenstadt but then that would be lying.
Its the pits , well steelworks actually. Thriving in those days with money to pump into 'Stahl' (Steel). After unification the steelworks was privatized and 10,000 lost their jobs , nowadays employing approx. 2,000.
The population at the time of my visit was about 50,000 nowadays just 25,000 'ish.

Then Stahl went bump in 2004 , bankrupt.
They merged with a few teams and started again in 2012 only to fold again in 2016.

The lovely main street -
View over Eisenhüttenstadt

Last edited:

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Tuesday 30th March 1993
Bridlington Town 2 Eastwood Town 0 (HT 0-0)
Northern Premier League, Division One (7.30)
Attendance 275
Programme 50p (32pp)

Back to earth (as the programme welcome put it) for Wembley-bound Bridlington after completing a 3-2 aggregate FA Vase Semi-Final victory over Gresley Rovers. The first leg attracted 1,626 to Queensgate, rather fewer than for this evening fixture.

If the home players’ minds weren’t on the job, it never showed. Colin Richardson’s Brid, 10 points clear at the summit, only three league defeats all season, disposed of lower mid-table Eastwood with two second half goals. Eastwood’s team featured two players, striker Chris Freestone and defender Richard Liburd, who would play in the Football League. Freestone was on the books of Middlesbrough, Carlisle United, Northampton Town, Hartlepool United, Cheltenham Town (loanee) and Shrewsbury Town. Liburd’s clubs included Middlesbrough, Bradford City, Carlisle United, Notts County and Lincoln City. He went back to Eastwood after his spell at Sincil Bank.

Mike Simpkin’s programme column told of an unusual happening at the 1930 World Cup Final, climax of the first tournament. Uruguay and Argentina insisted on using a ‘home’ manufactured ball. Mike wrote: “The Belgian referee came out for the start of the match with a ball under each arm, one made in each country. The two captains tossed, and Argentina kicked off using ‘their’ ball. They led 2-1 at half-time. In the second half, Uruguay, using ‘their’ ball, scored three unanswered goals to run out 4-2 winners.”

Queensgate’s facilities have improved steadily over the years. Brid have played at the ground since their 1925 formation by school leavers as Bridlington Centrals. I watched this game from the narrow, boxy main stand whose numerous roof supports make obstruction-free viewing a challenge. The far inferior ground of Bridlington Rugby Union Club is adjacent. Defunct Bridlington Bulls Amateur Rugby League Club used it for a time. Brid’s generally unappealing seafront is a mile away. To borrow from Morrissey: it is the coastal town they forgot to close down. Come, Armageddon! Come!

Happy ending: Bridlington beat Tiverton Town 1-0 beneath the Twin Towers in the 1993 FA Vase final. Compensation for defeat, by Yeading, after an Elland Road replay, in the 1990 showpiece. The Seasiders topped the league table also and were promoted with Huyton-based runners-up Knowsley United, 10 points in arrears. In addition to Knowsley, other defunct clubs in the NPL’s First Division that season were Great Harwood Town, Gretna, Rossendale United and Worksop Town.

One other worth a mention (a few pics attached):

Abbey Hulton United 2 Wythenshawe Amateurs 2 (2019, North West Counties League, Division One South): Lovely drive, on a sunny, mild day, via Longdendale, Glossop, Buxton and Leek. My wife came along; watched the game, too! By the former railway station site, overlooking the reservoir, we had a picnic at Crowden in each direction. Leg-stretching stroll along the Caldon Canal towpath, next to the ground, preceded kick-off. Abbey Hulton scored first but Wythenshawe hit back with two goals in four minutes. Having pressed hard late on, the hosts’ 82nd-minute equaliser was deserved.

Other sports:

Swinton Lions 6 Whitehaven 34 (2004, rugby league, Arriva Trains Cup). Played at Park Lane, home to Sedgley Park RUFC, one of several grounds faded force Swinton have used since selling off Station Road. Watched both rugby codes at Park Lane, which has a sizeable stand, a large clubhouse and little else. Fairly close contest for an hour then Lions collapsed, allowing a Whitehaven team weakened on a midweek evening by work commitments to score four tries in the last nine minutes and secure their place in the next stage of the competition. The crowd was a pitiful 346. At Station Road, Swinton attracted attendances of that size for ‘A’ team fixtures!

Scunthorpe 33 Doncaster 72 (2002, rugby union, National Division Three North). One of those end-of-season games (in rugby union, at least) where tackling is optional. Doncaster scored 10 tries in securing the title with three games to spare. On a hard, dry pitch, the contest was over inside the opening half-hour as the visitors crossed six times without reply. Slumming-it-at-this-level veteran John Liley (2T, 8C, 2P), who earlier in his career made 230 appearances for Leicester, contributed 32 of Doncaster’s points. Scunthorpe managed five tries, three of them coming in the third quarter. Unremarkable if surprisingly pleasant garden town enclosure, boasting a tiny stand, at a site shared with Scunthorpe Cricket Club.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 2.
Shrewsbury Town 2 Leicester City 2 (5,340)

Euro Championship.
England 0 Greece 0 . East Lower Standing £4 (48,000)

Division 2.
Leicester City 1 Millwall 2 (10,783)

Beazer Midland.
Leicester United 1 Rushden & Diamonds 2 (162)

prorege

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Friday March 30th 1979

Scottish League Division Two

Queen’s Park v Dunfermline Athletic, 0-1, H.T. 0-1, Att 500 (given), 840 (actual)

At New Lesser Hampden

The severe winter of 1978/9 left Scottish football with a huge fixture backlog. By late March teams were playing catch-up – Dunfermline still had 13 league games to play at this stage.

One of the fascinating anomalies of the Scottish lower divisions was the fact that Queen’s Park played, and still currently play, home games in the national stadium at Hampden Park. However, over the years it happened from time to time that games would get moved to the adjacent New Lesser Hampden Stadium for various reasons. This particular game was switched to the mini-venue and played on a Friday night because the League Cup Final between Rangers and Aberdeen was scheduled for the Saturday afternoon at Hampden.

A clarification of terminology may be required here. New Lesser Hampden refers to the small stadium at the Mount Florida end of Hampden Park, behind the “Rangers End”. Lesser Hampden was an ash pitch on what is now the car park area behind the main stand at Hampden. NLH was built in the 1930s. Queen’s Park programmes from the 1940s until the 1980s used to list the forthcoming fixtures for their various teams, indicating which of the three venues would be used. The first team usually used Hampden Park, the Strollers XI (Reserves) usually used NLH, the Victoria XI (Scottish Amateur League) and the Hampden XI (Under 18 Amateurs) used Lesser Hampden and NLH.

Since the mid 1980s when Lesser Hampden was tarmaced over some sloppiness has crept in to usage, with NLH sometimes referred to as Lesser Hampden. Queen’s Park’s first team will decant home games from Hampden to NLH in late 2020 now that the Spiders have sold the ground to the SFA.

In 1979 NLH was a strange place. Entry was made through a gate on the south side. One side of the pitch had the pavilion (a former farm cottage) elevated high at the rear with some bench seating in front – it looked more like a cricket pavilion than a football ground. The rest of that side, both ends and the far saide were steep ash bankings, partially overgrown with bushes. There was nothing to stop people from watching from all four sides.

For this Friday night game the Pars brought a big support through. They were battling out promotion with Falkirk and Berwick Rangers and every point was vital. Just two nights previously, on the Wednesday, their hopes had been dented slightly by a 1-1 home draw against East Fife. Against Queens the Pars scored in the first half through Mick Leonard and then held on fairly comfortably for a 1-0 win.

I remember the game quite well and can recall exactly who I was with that night. There was no programme issued and I recall that pies were sold from deep inside the pavilion.

Familiar names from the home side included Ian Ballantyne, Dougie Wilkie and Jimmy Sinclair. Striker Ballantyne was sold to Raith for a decent fee. Winger Dougie Wilkie had a great game for Queens that night and was being watched by Dundee United Manager Jim Mclean. A few months later Wilkie’s career was tragically ended when he suffered life-changing injuries in the Invergowrie Rail Crash, just days after signing for Dundee United. Sinclair had a long career in the Scottish lower leagues and then became a top coach, holding posts at both Aston Villa and Sunderland in recent years.

Dunfermline had strengthened their team for that season with the arrival of Andy Rolland, a former Dundee United stalwart right back. Also ion the side was Jim Mullin, currently General Manager of East Kilbride FC in the Lowland League.

An article on Dougie Wilkie and the Invergowrie Rail crash:

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
I've seen nine games on this date, my highest so far.

An early visit to Wembley (1977) - England 5 Luxembourg 0

but the most important was in 1985
LD1: Southampton 1 Everton 2 at a muddy Dell att 18754
At this stage I remember Tottenham were chasing Everton for the title and I thought this would be a tough test for the Toffees, at a team who eventually finished fifth. And it was, but the visitors played well and two Kevin Richardson goals put them in control and saw them to a vital win, and I was sure I'd seen the new champions that day. Especially when I heard that Tottenham had lost to the Villa. Saints were also decent but a penalty miss (nice tip-over by Ratcliffe, only a yellow in those days) cost them, their goal came in injury time. The following Wednesday Everton won 2-1 at White Hart Lane to move further ahead.
In the event Everton finished 11 points clear of Liverpoool and Tottenham but weren't able to take their place in the European Cup because of the ban. But they did win the Cup Winners' Cup this season. And were FA Cup finalists.

Highlights

Other visits on this day include only trips to Molesey (liked the main stand), and Lyndhurst.
Also a dreadful game at Moneyfields (2013 v Christchurch).

Last edited:

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
I saw a lot of Everton - only at Goodison - that season. Interesting to hear you felt you were watching the likely champions. I recall the ‘proper’ Evertonians who stood in the vicinity of our student group were sceptical about whether the team would go the distance. Too many previous disappointments, I guess. Many were convinced only when Everton routed Man U 5-0. As the fifth goal went in, two Everton fans in front of us sank to their knees, raised their arms and shouted ‘I believe!’. Not checked the chronology. That’s how I remember it.

EDIT: having checked dates, I see the Man U game was late October. Maybe Evertonians had more faith than I remember! I see they’d won 1-0 at Anfield the previous Saturday. Another game our student group attended. Graeme Sharp’s volley! I noted Prorege‘s remark about Sharp the other day. He was reasonably well liked by Everton fans. My memory of Sharp is of an improver.

Thanks for the highlights link. Enjoying those!

Last edited:

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
Everton won eight in a row after the Saints game, which clinched the title for them.
That was a great team they had around that time, the last for a long, long time..... someone good in every position. Not a bad manager either.

Last edited:

Cleeve

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
Football League Division Two
Bristol City 0-1 Fulham
Attendance: 10,946
Scorer: Alan Mullery

We could still have been relegated at this point in the season but my major disappointment was that my mate had bought the 0-0 golden goal ticket. The hundred pound prize was a massive amount of money to a couple of schoolboys but we initially decided that we preferred a City win and tried to forget about it. But as time ticked down and the goals failed to come, we started to change our minds only for our monetary dreams to be shattered with less than ten minutes to go.

Since then I don't open my golden goal ticket until the first goal has been scored!

groundhoppers.blog

Junior Team Sub
This one is only a year old. Spent the morning in Berwick at an exhibition of a Russian painter, then took a short drive along the Tweed valley to Coldstream. Unusually in the Borders, the football team is bigger than the rugby club. However, that's mostly because there doesn't seem to be a rugby club in town.

It's not a 'must see' venue for hoppers - save perhaps for Plymouth fans wanting to visit the 'other' Home Park - but it's pleasant and friendly enough. And we got to enjoy a bit a surprise win over a title-chasing Musselburgh as well. More on the blog: https://groundhoppers.blog/2019/06/27/football-in-rugby-territory/

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
At the risk of annoying Hoddy, I once again start by mentioning the games with pictures on the twitter feed. The are two photosets for FC Den Haag, playing at the Kyocera Stadium in 2014, and one for last year's game at Beijing Renhe's Fengtai Stadium for last years derby match against Guo'an.

I felt there was an identity problem for Den Haag, with the murals on the walls depicting them as the super hooligans of Europe, leading a pack with Swansea City, Juventus, Legia Warsaw and Club Brugge shown as following. Inside, the fan fare, the mascots and the dancing girls attempted to create a festive atmosphere. Honestly, both approaches seemed to fail for a dullish game (1-1 v PCE Zwolle, Att: 11711, admission €29.50). Driving to the game, I at least had simple enough parking in the industrial estate that surrounds the ground. I think afterwards, it was up to Schiphol for the trip home.

Last year, I was in China in March and attended the Beijing Derby on this date. Teams in Beijing had been on a lock-down in the previous weeks, playing only away games so as there was no risk of protest (or need of security police) while political meetings took place, so apart from an Asian Champions League game, this was the first major game in the area for the season. Teams in Tianjin and Langfang also started with only away games. To get the tickets, my wife had to talk to a friend who talked to a friend, this despite the fact that many tickets were on sale outside the ground - mainly below face value. We then had to have a meal when meeting the friends with the tickets before the start. The game was not the greatest, but Guo'an won by 1-0 (Att: 22376, face value of ticket RM150 (around £17))

These are two of the top three attendances on the day, with the 1996 Malaysian League match Palau Pinang v Sarawak being shown in my notes as 12,000. That will have come from someone at the ground, or the next day's papers but with a degree of accuracy that could leave Den Haag as having more people in the stadium. The match finished 1-1

Not a good day for me watching Cheltenham, with two games listed and no Cheltenham goals. A 4-0 defeat at Southend in 2012 (Att, 6525) and a 1-0 home defeat by Carlisle in 2018 (Att. 3107).

A mention to, for the other four figure crowd on the date, a bracketed tick to the Brewery Field to see Spennymoor Town (I had previously seen United play there). 1638 saw Spennymoor beat Guernsey 1-0 which gave them a 4-1 aggregate and sent them to Wembley where they beat Tunbridge Wells by 2-1. The match was a late kick off, and I had already been to a Wearside League game at Seaton Carew (2-1 v Richmond Town, att. 34).

In 2002, it was a groundhop Saturday in the South West, with three games even if the third one was a revisit. I was off piste for the middle game Saint Agnes 4-0 Wendron United (Att. 80) in the Cornwall Combination, while the day had started with Newquay 0-2 St. Blazeey (Att. 695) and we finished with Truro City 6-3 Callington (Att. 451) and with news of the Queen Mother who died that afternoon (age: 101).

Also notable, but one I do not have the attendance for was the Southern League match between Barry Town and Taunton Town in 1982. This 2-2 was the only Southern League game I attended at a non-floodlit ground. It had a 6 p.m. kick off. Being as this was the first season I took line ups, I know Barry took the lead in each half (through Powney and Guscott) only for Taunton to level each time (Smith and Ashton).

While this time of year normally allows me to see early evening games and some low attendances, the three lowest (i.e. less than at Seaton Carew) do not come into this category. All would have been headcounts. I have 30 listed for Horndean 2-1 Romsey Town (1983 - a floodlit game, and proof to Trevor Brock that Horndean did not always lose when I watched them), and the same figure for Machynlleth 0-2 Montgomery (1985, a Saturday game and a rare rail trip as I had just started getting used to the freedom of travelling by car). For Gainsborough Town v Grimsby Ross in the Central Midlands League, I counted 33. (1988 and a 2-1 home win). Gainsborough Town was a short lived "honestly, we are not reserves" team sharing with Trinity. It was my fifth (and most recent) visit to Northolme, and played under floodlights.

Overall, 30 March has seen me at 29 games, with 14 "ticks"

The vulture

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Groundhog
Bristol City 0-1 Fulham
Attendance: 10,946
Scorer: Alan Mullery

We could still have been relegated at this point in the season but my major disappointment was that my mate had bought the 0-0 golden goal ticket. The hundred pound prize was a massive amount of money to a couple of schoolboys but we initially decided that we preferred a City win and tried to forget about it. But as time ticked down and the goals failed to come, we started to change our minds only for our monetary dreams to be shattered with less than ten minutes to go.

Since then I don't open my golden goal ticket until the first goal has been scored!
I am intrigued as to how the Golden goal ticket would generate a prize of £100, which as you say was a very large amount of money.
Surely the tickets would only have cost 5 or 10p each? Were it the latter, then 91 tickets sold would generate £9.10.....were the club really paying out 11 times the income raised?

Cleeve

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
I am intrigued as to how the Golden goal ticket would generate a prize of £100, which as you say was a very large amount of money.
Surely the tickets would only have cost 5 or 10p each? Were it the latter, then 91 tickets sold would generate £9.10.....were the club really paying out 11 times the income raised?
There were ticket sellers all around the ground so a lot of tickets would have been sold. It was a big thing in those days. I can clearly remember the value of the prize, but not the price of the tickets.

Part-Timer

Youth Team Sub
Euro Championship.
England 0 Greece 0 . East Lower Standing £4 (48,000)
I was also at this game. I spent my first 18 years living within walking distance of Wembley Stadium but this was the first time I had been there for a football match. I had occasionally been taken there for other events, most excruciatingly a Silver Jubilee event in 1977 where the Queen rode about on the pitch inspecting marching bands.

The game was dreadful, the view from behind the goal was appalling and the stadium was a disgrace. I have never grasped why so many get so misty-eyed about it.

Ciderjon

Junior Team Starter
Saturday 30th March 2002
RTB Ebbw Vale 2 Caldicot Town 1
Welsh League Div 3
Attn 27 f + n

Played at the Hilltop Stadium. .Hilltop is a scheme above Ebbw Vale, the name is geographically correct. There are two grounds here, the lower of the two houses the social club of the former Richards, Thomas and Baldwin steel works ( as in Stanley Baldwin 's family).

The pitch nearest the building is rugby union (RTB Ebbw Vale 18 Pontllanffraith 19 WRU Div 6 East Attn 80 f+ n). At right angles to this was a railed off pitch with dugouts. I am toldthe team are now back there but there has been some pitch alignment change.

The main eye-catching furniture is a massive terracing, now very overgrown which is poorly positioned for viewing, almost certainly due to previous alignment changes. It runs from approx the 20 metre line to the football corner flag, meaning that most of it doesn't look out on either pitch.

Details of game are somewhat clouded, seems close enough from scoreline, but I can tell you no more.

The other ground in Hilltop also has two pitches , I had to spend two separate Saturdays to see a game on both; fc Dugout and Willowtown Athletic.

norwich6

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Southern League Division 1 30th March 1968
Banbury United v Bath City
Score 2-1 programme 6d admission as only age 14 child 6d perhaps 1/-
Attendance most probably well over 1,000 possibly more
The Boxing Day home match v Dartford had attracted a crowd of 2,235 !

Not surprisingly I cannot recall too much of this match but do recall
both sides were well in the mix for automatic promotion. I seem to
recall that the match was a stormy one and that Banbury won it with
a late second half goal. Unfortunately I do clearly remember that the match
had attracted the local "boneheads" and that the Bath supporters
were chased back to their coaches at the end of the match.
One of the coaches had a stone thrown its window (no I didnt throw it)

Neither team were promoted at the end of the season, Bath finished 6th
and Banbury 7th. Rugby drew 0-0 with Dartford in their last match of the
season to clinch 4th place and promotion. Dartford lost out on goal average.

30th March 1987
GM Vauxhall Conference
Dagenham v Scarborough @ Victoria Road Dagenham
Score 0-2 ht 0-1
Stewart Mell scored both goals as Scarborough clocked up
this away win, one of 15 away win achieved that season as they
clinched promotion to the Football League.. Believe Mell
scored their opening goal in the Football League the following season

30th March 1999
Kent League
Sheppey Utd v Beckenham Town @ Central Park Sittingbourne
Score 0-5 ht 0-2 Admission £3 programme 50p Attendance 55 official
Match itself a very comfortable win for Beckenham.

Sheppey played at a number of different grounds (Faversham , Canterbury
and Central Park) after leaving the
atmospheric Botany Rd ground in 1992. Of course crowds
dwindled and it become unsustainable to continue with the
club resigning from the Kent league in March 2001.
Today the club have developed Holm Park on Sheppey
into a very decent ground and they are once again a well
supported club and hopefully will progress further.

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Birmingham City (0) 0 Aston Villa (1) 2
Easter Monday 30th March, 1970
At St.Andrews, Att.: 41,696

The lowest point in Villa's history loomed just a few weeks away, with relegation to Division Three being the culmination of years of mismanagement. They say every cloud has a silver lining, however, and they don't come much better than winning at St.Andrews.
Tommy Docherty's 13 months in charge had ended two months previously and Vic Crowe (arrived from Atlanta Chiefs via the Central League side) simply ran out of time to turn things around. Scoring goals was the problem all season, with 54,405 having seen the October game at Villa Park finish 0-0.
On this occasion Bruce Rioch and Pat McMahon did score, with Rioch's being a typical long range blast which I can still picture screaming into the Blues' net 50 years after the event :giggle:.
The Blues programme was a 24 page effort selling for one shilling, it's most notable feature being it's unusual size of 6" x 10½".
It was interesting to note that, as was usual in those days, both clubs were playing on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday over Easter. Can you imagine the screams of horror now if three games in four days was suggested?
Villa's last programme for this season offered season tickets for 1970-71 at either £10 or £13, both being for seats. That was their first of two seasons in Division Three, so the club went from 1971-72 in Division Three to Champions of Europe ten years later. Impossible to imagine nowadays, unless some well off sheikh got involved.

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Canon League Division 1
Sunderland 0-2 Chelsea
Att: 13,489

Less than a week earlier, Sunderland had played in front of 100,000 in the Milk Cup final at Wembley. Only a little over 13,000 turned up for this one as Chelsea gained revenue for their Semi Final defeat. Goals from Mickey Thomas on 47 minutes and Kerry Dixon on 85 gave the visitors a deserved victory. John Moore made his Sunderland debut as a second half substitute.

Barclays League Division 4
Darlington 3-1 Aldershot
Att: 4,250

Barclays Premier League
Sunderland 0-1 Manchester United
Att: 43,760

A Titus Bramble own goal sealed the points for the visitors. Sunderland sacked Martin O'Neill immediately after this game.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1982 Blades 1 Bradford City 1 L4
1985 Crystal Palace 1 Blades 3 L2
1987 England 0 France 1 U15 International @ Bramall Lane
1988 Ecclesfield Red Rose 2 Sheffield Centralians 0 County Senior 1
1991 Blades 2 Luton Town 1 L1
1993 Stocksbridge PS 0 Ossett Albion 2 NCE Premier
1994 Hearts 0 Motherwell 0 Scot. Premier
1996 Sherburn White Rose 3 Knaresborough Town 3 West Yorks. League Cup S/F AET (3-3)
2002 Crewe Alex, 2 Blades 2 L1
2004 Greenock Morton 2 Alloa Athletic 2 Scot. 2
2013 Dronfield Town 5 Glapwell 2 CML North @ Gosforth Fields 3G
2019 Blades 2 Bristol City 3 Championship Att 30,030

Rugby League

1986 Eagles 36 Huddersfield Barracudas 6
2018 Eagles 38 Rochdale Hornets 20 Att 516

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks