March 3

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Star

Southern Division 1 Central

Slough Town 1 Northwood 0

Played at Holloways SYCOB. A goal from Lloyd Owusu on 55 settled this drab encounter

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
After the late arrival back from Anglesey yesterday it was an early (for me) start this morning to get down to Sussex for
P&T.JPG
After lunch in Newhaven, I caught the bus to the Piddinghoe Avenue ground meeting up with local(ish) resident Paul Sparrow (RIP) to watch this first ever Sunday match in the Sussex County League. I remarked on the unexpectedly cold temperature and Paul replied that it was always cold at this clifftop location 🥶.

Very impressively, the programme included the full set of results from the previous day's SCL gams and an updated table which showed Stamco top with 61 points from 24 games and P&T 11 points behind, but with 6 games in hand.

The top of the table fixture on a Sunday had certainly caught the attention of people and a remarkable crowd of over 1,000 was present. I have not been in such a large attendance at County League level before or since.

P&T deservedly won 2-0 and went on to win the title, for the fourth time in 5 years, with 101 points. Stamco finished second on 90 points, but it was they who joined the Southern League for the following season. P&T's online history bemoans the "lack of ambition" which meant, unlike Stamco, they had "little hope of further progression". The fact that P&T are still going strong 25 years later whereas Stamco, after 2 name changes, folded in 2004 reinforces my view that "ambition" is not always all it's cracked up to be.

Last edited:

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
After the late arrival back from Anglesey yesterday it was an early (for me) start this morning to get down to Sussex for
View attachment 9792
After lunch in Newhaven, I caught the bus to the Piddinghoe Avenue ground meeting up with local(ish) resident Paul Sparrow (RIP) to watch this first ever Sunday match in the Sussex County League. I remarked on the unexpectedly cold temperature and Paul replied that it was always cold at this clifftop location 🥶.

Very impressively, the programme included the full set of results from the previous day's SCL gams and an updated table which showed Stamco top with 61 points from 24 games and P&T 11 points behind, but with 6 games in hand.

The top of the table fixture on a Sunday had certainly caught the attention of people and a remarkable crowd of over 1,000 was present. I have not been in such a large attendance at County League level before or since.

P&T deservedly won 2-0 and went on to win the title, for the fourth time in 5 years, with 101 points. Stamco finished second on 90 points, but it was they who joined the Southern League for the following season. P&T's online history bemoans the "lack of ambition" which meant, unlike Stamco, they had "little hope of further progression". The fact that P&T are still going strong 25 years later whereas Stamco, after 2 name changes, folded in 2004 reinforces my view that "ambition" is not always all it's cracked up to be.
Stamco must have been paying some decent wages by the look of their team, Chivers, Gatting and Trusson are names that stand out

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1974 - Midland Bank v Queens Park Athletic (Bournemouth Sunday Junior 4) played in goal in a 2-3 defeat. The results are getting closer and we even picked up enough points to get us off the bottom of the table by the end of the season.
1976 - Leicester University III v Warwick University II, played in goal in a 4-2 win.
1979 - Malden Vale Res v Catford United Res (London Spartan Intermediate 3) - linesman.
1983 - Inland Revenue v Merseyside Civil Service (Lewis Cup Quarter Final) - linesman. Ironically, most of the Merseyside team also worked for us!
1984 - Woodford Town Res v Chigwell Police (London Intermediate Cup Round 3) - referee.
1985 - AFA Referees Society v Civil Service Veterans, had a run around in midfield in a 3-2 win on the main pitch at Chiswick.
1990 - Tooting & Mitcham United Res v Molesey Res (Suburban South) - referee.
1991 - Hillingdon Hornets v Hanwell Town U18 (Ealing Youth Senior) - referee.
1996 - Branksome Conservative Club v Cunningham Sports (Dorset Sunday Senior Cup Semi Final) - referee, at Bournemouth Poppies.
2001 - Wimborne Town v Bournemouth (Wessex) - observer.
2002 - Wallisdown Liberal Club v Cranleigh (Bournemouth Sunday 2) - referee.
2004 - Corfe Hills School v Glyn Technology College (ESFA U18 Trophy Quarter Final) - linesman, played at Hamworthy Recreation FC.
2007 - AFC Branksome v Westover Bournemouth 'A' (Bournemouth 4) - referee.
2012 - Trinidad v Allendale (Bournemouth Premier) - referee.
2013 - Newtown Rovers v Vienna Windows Res (Bournemouth Sunday 6) - referee.
2020 - West Bridgford v Barrow Town (East Midlands Counties) - observer, att. 14.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
Stamco must have been paying some decent wages by the look of their team, Chivers, Gatting and Trusson are names that stand out
Indeed. The previous season, when they had also finished second behind Peacehaven, Brian McDermott & Jimmy Gilligan were on their books.

It's called "ambition" apparently.

Steveb

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1986 FA Trophy, 3rd rnd: Wealdstone 0 South Bank 0 (att 451)
A Monday night and my only visit to Lower Mead. As I wasn't really groundhopping at this stage I didn't take any photos. South Bank won the replay to move into the quarter-finals, showing the strength of the Northern League at the time.

1987 Wessex League: Eastleigh 3 Portsmouth Royal Navy 0 (60)

1990 Worcester & District Lge, Premier Div: Chequers Fladbury 0 Kaleidoscope 2 (15)

Most of my Worcester League games were 'silly season' midweek fixtures, but this was a Saturday which suggests I'd have been working until lunchtime. The Chequers was, and to my knowledge still is, a pub in Fladbury. I can't remember the origin of Kaleidoscope, but they were Worcester-based. Fladbury were regular programme issuers, I think the only programme I ever got in the Worcester League. These days the village football team plays Sunday league.
507.jpg

1992 United Counties Lge, Premier Div: Raunds Town 5 Daventry Town 1 (80)

1993 Western Lge, Div 1: Wellington 2 Bridport 2 (60)

1996 Sussex County Lge, Div 1: Peacehaven and Telscombe 2 Stamco 0 (804)

A Sunday game already covered by Lord Lucan. I think 804 was the official attendance, but I can't remember where I got that from. I travelled by train from Warrington, so I assume 'walk up' train tickets were better value then than they are now. Not sure why it was a Sunday, unless it was an effort to boost the attendance.

1998 Northern Counties East Lge, Div 1 Trophy, Final, 1st leg: Staveley Miners Welfare 2 Harrogate Railway Athletic 3 (150)

1999 West Midlands Regional Lge, Premier Div: Star 3 Dudley Town 1 (40)

Star, formerly Lawson Mardon Star and Star Aluminium, were a Bridgnorth-based works team who folded in 2003. They had a floodlit ground with a small stand, but there doesn't look to be any trace of it left judging by Google Maps.

2001 West Lancashire Lge, Div 1: Turton 0 Poulton Town 1 (36)

2002 Welsh League, Div 1: Ely Rangers 6 AFC Rhondda 0 (120)

This was a Sunday. I have a feeling it might have been a precursor to the Welsh Hops?

11am Premier Academy Lge: Ipswich Town U18 1 West Ham United U18 1 (110)
2.30pm Suffolk & Ipswich Lge. Senior Div: Crane Sports 2 Stowupland Falcons 1 (41)

Crane Sports have since moved, but were playing on the railed off pitch next door to Whitton United's ground (pic below).
2883.jpg

2009 Spartan South Midlands Lge, Div 1: Stony Stratford Town 2 Cranfield United 2 (25)

2012 South West Peninsula Lge, Premier Div: Camelford 1 Elburton Villa 0 (52)

2013 Scottish Lge, Youth Lge Cup, West Section: Queen of the South U19 2 Stranraer U19 3 (46)

On a Sunday at the David Keswick Athletic Centre in Dumfries, which isn't a bad venue with uncovered seats along one side.
3857.jpg

2015 Leicestershire Senior Lge Cup, 2nd rnd: Guru Nanak Gurdwara 0 Houghton Rangers 0 1-3 on pens (38)

12noon Warrington & District Lge, Premier Div: Cronton Villa 3 Rainhill Town Youth & Development 0 (25)
3pm West Cheshire Lge, Div 1: Neston Nomads 1 South Liverpool 1 (50)

The early game was switched to a borrowed school 3G, but the lunchtime kick off enabled a double with Neston, who used one of the 3G pitches at Vauxhall Motors. It was a day when few games on grass would have been on.

2020 Peterborough & District Lge, Premier Div: FC Parson Drove 0 Netherton United 3 (50)

noprogs

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
nonaligned
1964- FL Div.2. Preston North End v Leeds United 2-0. Att. 35,612.
Garry Sprake, Paul Reaney, Grenville Hair, Willie Bell, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Johnny Giles, Jim Storrie, Alan Peacock, Bobby Collins, Albert Johanneson.
1990- Westmorland FA Cup SF. Burton Thistle v Netherfield 1-7.
2001- Notts FA Intermediate Cup SF. Vernon Villa v Matrixgrade 1-3.
2005- Sheffield County Senior League Cup SF. Sportsman Roy Hancock v Mexborough Main Street 4-1.
2007- Liverpool County Premier. I Zingari Cup 2nd round. Collegiate Old Boys v East Villa 0-3.
A bit surprised that Grenville Hair was still at Leeds as late as 1964; in fact it was the very last of his 474 appearances for the club

bluearmybob

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1979. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v NOTTINGHAM FOREST (1) Division 1. Att 15,935.
1984. IPSWICH TOWN (0) v WEST HAM UNITED (3) Division 1. Att 17,297.
1987. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v WEST BROMWICH ALBION (0) Division 2. Att 9,843.
1990. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v LEICESTER CITY (2) Division 2. Att 12,237.
1996. IPSWICH TOWN (4) v LEICESTER CITY (2) Division1. Att 9,817.
2007. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v QUEENS PARK RANGERS (1) Championship. Att 21,412.
2009. IPSWICH TOWN (3) v SOUTHAMPTON (3) Championship. Att 20,040.
2012. IPSWICH TOWN (3) v BRISTOL CITY (0) Championship. Att 16,671.
2020. IPSWICH TOWN (0) v FLEETWOOD TOWN (1) League 1. Att 15,678.

NeilH

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Cambridge City
1982 Cambridge City 1 Alvechurch 1
Southern League Midland Division

Notable for being the game that saw City's lowest ever league gate at Milton Road, 113 plus me saw a Gary Grogan goal give City gain an excellent point under the lights.

1984 Cambridge City 0 Crawley Town 3
Southern League Southern Division

1985 Ely City 2 Newmarket Town 0
Eastern Counties League

My only game watched at Paradise, a Sunday game with (I think) a morning kick off. Have played at this venue since but no remains of the old ground apart from the grass.

1996 Elmdon 4 Cambridge Cosmos reserves 1
Cambridge & District Sunday League Division 4B

A morning drive to Elmdon in north west Essex, as usual the Cosmos left back for this defeat.

2012 Brackley Town 4 Cambridge City 2
Southern League Premier Division

A bright sunny day in Northants, City were 2nd best throughout and from memory the scoreline should have been more in Brackley's favour.

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
A bit surprised that Grenville Hair was still at Leeds as late as 1964; in fact it was the very last of his 474 appearances for the club
He became player manager of Wellington Town in May 1964. In 1967 he was appointed trainer at Bradford City, taking over as manager the following year. He had been in the Valley Parade hot seat for only a few weeks when he collapsed and died on 7 March 1968, whilst supervising a City training session.
Source- Who's who in Leeds United A Complete Record.

WorksopBlade

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Worksop Town
Sheffield United
2010 (UEFA U21s Euro 2011 Qualification Group I)

England U21 1-2 Greece U21

Ground: Keepmoat Stadium

Attendance: 5221

England Lineup: Scott Loach, Kyle Walker, Micah Richards, Chris Smalling, Ryan Bertrand, Tom Cleverley, Fabrice Muamba, Lee Cattermole, Jack Rodwell, Jack Wilshere, Andy Carroll.

England Subs: Frank Fielding, James Tomkins, Michael Mancienne, Fabian Delph, Dan Gosling, Daniel Sturridge, Nathan Delfouneso

England Scorer: Nathan Delfouneso

Greece Lineup: Asterios Giakoumis, Anestis Argyriou, Giannis Skondras, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Dimitrios Siovas, Elini Dimoutsos, Giannis Papadopoulos, Kostas Mitroglu, Vasilios Koutsianikoulis, Dimitrios Giantsis.

Greece Subs: Georgios Katsikogiannis, Kyriakos Stratilatis, Anastasios Papazoglou, Vasilios Apostolopoulos, Athanasios Papazoglou, Savvas Gentsoglou, Aristidis Soiledis.

Greece Scorers: Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Giannis Papadopoulos.

Kentish exile

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Gillingham, Kent CC, Miami Dolphins, Camborne RFC, Castleford Tigers
1984: Fulham 2 Newcastle United 2 Division 2 (att; 12,290)

Down at college I had a family weekend visit. I took my youngest brother to this game, rather than the other option of Chelsea v Oldham Athletic. We stood on the open Putney End cheering with the visiting Geordies and were treated to a cracking game between two star studded sides in Kevin Keegan's final season.

All the action can be seen here.

1990: Scarborough 4 Burnley 2 Division Four (att: 2,961)

Boro blew the Clarets away with a cracking first half performance. I believe it was 3-0 at the break with plenty of tetchy away fans heading away at that point. Goals from Adie Meyer, John MacDonald, Paul Dobson and George Oghani delivered the three points for Ray McHale's side. Oghani was sent off in the second half against his former club.

2015: Sutton United 1 Bromley 2 (Conference South) (att: 529)

A Tuesday night after a work course in town I took the tube for beers in the Alexandra in Wimbledon before meeting a regular companion to hosts go ahead through Berndette Gomis, capitalising on an Alan Julian goalkeeping error.

An error from U's stopper Aaron Howe allowed Jamie Slabber to equalise twenty minutes from time before a corner went in off the same scorers stomach four minutes from time. There were chances still to come at both ends, but the result was about right.

2017: Dynamo Dresden 3 Kaiserslautern 3 - 2. Bundesliga (att: 28,907)

I'd taken a flight from Glasgow the previous day to Berlin from where I took a FlixBus from the airport down to Dresden, staying in the centre and enjoying a nocturnal wander round the stunning sights. I took a further look on a lovely Friday of the match, also calling in at the historic Heinz-Steyer-Stadion and then a tram to Loschwitz further up the Elbe.

Lunch at a Czech restaurant, a nap and then a couple of beers later I headed on a tram to DDV-Stadion which reminded me of Leicester's King Power Stadium. The ultras at the far end put on a hell of a show pre match and made a real racket throughout.

The match turned out to be an absolute cracker. Dynamo started off on the front foot but it was Kaiserslautern who took the lead when the ball wasn’t cleared and Robert Glatzel steered the ball home. He doubled the visitors lead on twenty seven minutes with a fine shot as the Dynamo central defenders dallied.

Dynamo were soon back in the game when a cross from Giuliano Modica was fired home by Manuel Konrad just past the half hour mark. Stefan Kutschke equalised with a penalty on the stroke of half time.

The same man put the hosts ahead after a spell of pressure thirteen minutes from time as the place went berserk. Three minutes from the end Lautern equalised through Kacper Przybyłko before they came close to a winner when a shot came back off the crossbar.

At full time I went as fast as possible to take a couple of trams to Albertplatz from where it was a short walk to the majestic Zum Bautzner Tor bar which had been recommended by a German Twitter pal. Excellent home brewed beers were consumed in the relic from the former communist era in the city, with plenty of old memorabilia on show. My train the following morning necessitated a 5am alarm call. I should have really had headed home, but instead I went to the Shamrock Pub for some dunkel nightcaps. A most enjoyable day in a good city.

2018: Edgware Town 3 Harpenden Town 1 Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division (att: 86)

Mentioned above by Wiretown.Editor. Cold and between night shifts, common sense prevailed and I went to my local ground. Luke Durnin and Omololu Onabolu put Wares 2-0 up before the prolific James Ewington reduced the arrears. Steven Benavides secured the win in stoppage time.
I was at the Chelsea game with my younger Blues supporting brother, who was only 13 at the time.

They beat the Latics 3-0, on their way to winning Division 2 on GD from Sheffield Weds (Att 16k i think)

Seems strange that both teams were at home on the same day, especially with Newcastle in town. Having said that, we travelled part of the way back to Spalding on the same train as the Geordies, and they were a decent bunch.

We went to St James Park the following week!

JimtheFish

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fisher
1974 - Midland Bank v Queens Park Athletic (Bournemouth Sunday Junior 4) played in goal in a 2-3 defeat. The results are getting closer and we even picked up enough points to get us off the bottom of the table by the end of the season.
1976 - Leicester University III v Warwick University II, played in goal in a 4-2 win.
1979 - Malden Vale Res v Catford United Res (London Spartan Intermediate 3) - linesman.
1983 - Inland Revenue v Merseyside Civil Service (Lewis Cup Quarter Final) - linesman. Ironically, most of the Merseyside team also worked for us!
1984 - Woodford Town Res v Chigwell Police (London Intermediate Cup Round 3) - referee.
1985 - AFA Referees Society v Civil Service Veterans, had a run around in midfield in a 3-2 win on the main pitch at Chiswick.
1990 - Tooting & Mitcham United Res v Molesey Res (Suburban South) - referee.
1991 - Hillingdon Hornets v Hanwell Town U18 (Ealing Youth Senior) - referee.
1996 - Branksome Conservative Club v Cunningham Sports (Dorset Sunday Senior Cup Semi Final) - referee, at Bournemouth Poppies.
2001 - Wimborne Town v Bournemouth (Wessex) - observer.
2002 - Wallisdown Liberal Club v Cranleigh (Bournemouth Sunday 2) - referee.
2004 - Corfe Hills School v Glyn Technology College (ESFA U18 Trophy Quarter Final) - linesman, played at Hamworthy Recreation FC.
2007 - AFC Branksome v Westover Bournemouth 'A' (Bournemouth 4) - referee.
2012 - Trinidad v Allendale (Bournemouth Premier) - referee.
2013 - Newtown Rovers v Vienna Windows Res (Bournemouth Sunday 6) - referee.
2020 - West Bridgford v Barrow Town (East Midlands Counties) - observer, att. 14.

Do you have the score of the 1984 Woodford Town Reserves v Metpol Chigwell game in the Intermediate Cup by any chance Ellisref?

willesden

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
I was at the Chelsea game with my younger Blues supporting brother, who was only 13 at the time.

They beat the Latics 3-0, on their way to winning Division 2 on GD from Sheffield Weds (Att 16k i think)

Seems strange that both teams were at home on the same day, especially with Newcastle in town. Having said that, we travelled part of the way back to Spalding on the same train as the Geordies, and they were a decent bunch.

We went to St James Park the following week!
They were fine from what we came across. There was an interesting moment back at Putney Bridge station after the game when fans on mass were being held at the bottom of the steps for a special tube direct to Kings Cross. Some local wag thought it a good idea to start a sporadic Sunderland chant.

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Wednesday 3rd March 1971
FA Trophy 3rd Round Replay Kick Off 1930
Hereford Utd 1 v Banbury Utd 0 Half time 0-0 Attendance 6,700 Programme 5p
Travelled on the supporters bus for this replay. A few memories from the game firstly the
coach got to the ground very near to near kick off time, suspect that the coach
company may have underestimated the time the cross country journey would take.
Secondly we got into the ground some very officious police escorted us to the
away end. Memory has faded but cannot recall Banbury have any serious chances throughout
the match and though Banbury defended well it all seemed rather inevitable that
Hereford would win. The solitary goal was a header from Roger Smee in the 70th minute.
Believe Smee would later on become chairman of Reading.
The attendance of 6,700 remains the biggest crowd I have ever seen Banbury play in front of.

Hereford defeated Macclesfield 2-0 in the quarter final but then lost to Hillingdon Borough 2-0
in the semi final played at Leicester City's ground.

Tuesday 3rd March 1992
Football League Division 4 Kick Off 1945
Gillingham 3 v Burnley 0 half time 1-0 Attendance 3,729 Programme £1
Burnley arrived at Priestfield as league leaders but were well beaten by mid table Gills.
Dave Crown opened the scoring for Gills after 40 seconds when he chested the ball down
and netted from close range . An even first half followed but Burnley rarely looked like
scoring. Gills played well in the second period and a good cross from Dempsey was
headed in by Peter Beadle to make it 2-0 after 64 minutes. Six minutes later a Steve
Lovell diving header from a corner wrapped up the game for the Gills.

Burnley finished the season as league champions and this game was one of only 9
league defeats they suffered all season. Gills finished in 11th position a poor away
record costing them a higher finish.

Sunday 3rd March 1996
Another who was at Peacehaven 2 Stamco 0 I drove from Kent accompanied by
Roland Reeve, Like Steveb I too have recorded an attendance of 804. May have got
the attendance from the Monday edition of the Brighton Evening Argus.
Cannot recall ever attending a Sussex County League game on a Sunday before or
since this date.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Do you have the score of the 1984 Woodford Town Reserves v Metpol Chigwell game in the Intermediate Cup by any chance Ellisref?
I'm afraid not, all I can tell you is neither side reached the final. I refereed the semi final Corinthian Casuals Res v Newmont Travel and Newmont Travel beat Walthamstow Avenue Res 3-0 in the final.

Kentish exile

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Gillingham, Kent CC, Miami Dolphins, Camborne RFC, Castleford Tigers
Nearly forgot.....
2012 League 2
Plymouth A 0-1 Gillingham (Att 6823)

One of a good many visits to Home Park. Not a great game, but a great goal by Joe Martin half way through the first half.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1982 Tottenham 2 Eintracht Frankfurt 0 crowd 38,172
Cup Winners Cup quarter final, White Hart Lane, London

Just remembered this one from the depths of my memory bank albeit it was 39 years ago I can still recall a few details.I had been to the ground once before for an end of season game against Everton in 1979 but this European quarter final was on a different level, the standard of play from both sides and the level of tension was fantastic. Spurs had qualified of course by beating Man City in an epic Cup Final replay then swept aside Ajax 6-1 on aggregate which was surprisingly comfortable for their first European game since their ill fated trip to Rotterdam in 1974. In the second round they made hard work of beating Dundalk 2-1 on aggregate to set up this quarter final. In those days you could just turn up and pay on the night so I arrived in good time and went on the Shelf and soon worked out that the crowd dynamics were a thing in their own right. It was totally packed so the best place to stand was in front of the crush barrier so you would be protected from the surges which happened regularly, I remember seeing a Japanese businessman in there facing the wrong way from the pitch, these days a steward would have helped him but then it was every man for himself in a Darwinian battle for survival, poor guy looked terrified but there wasnt much anyone could do to help him. Goals from Paul Miller(58)and Micky Hazard(81)gave the London side a 2-0 win which was wiped out within 15 minutes of the return by strikes from Borchers and Korean winger Bum-Kun Cha, a late Glenn Hoddle goal got Spurs through to the semi final where they would face Barcelona.C608BF06-846D-4833-B8D6-D0CF18EA5F83.jpeg

Bagman

Reserve Team Starter
Saturday March 3rd 2012

Kent Invicta League

Seven Acre & Sidcup v Erith & Dartford

Programme None

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock