March 29th

Warwickian

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Plenty to choose from on this day with a couple of south west hops taking place but I'll mention this game instead.
Sunday 29th March 2008
Dyffryn Banw 1 Berriew 4
Mid-Wales League.

The Mid-Wales League has always been a good league for Sunday matches over the years with the students from Aberystwyth University/UWA providing plenty of those fixtures.This game didn't feature them for a change and it was a pleasant drive to Cae Morfa in Llangadfan for this game.The ground is visible from the A458 and the players get changed over the road from the ground.A railed off pitch in pleasant surroundings as Dyffrn Banw took a first half lead.Berriew scored four with out reply in the second half for a comfortable win.
Attendance of 49 with quite a few 'travellers 'in attendance for this game .

Ciderjon

Junior Team Starter
Saturday 29th March 1997

Lydney Town 2 Frampton United 2
Glos. Nth.Snr. Lge. Div 1
Attn 32 f + n

Enjoyed all the reports above, nowhere as exotic for me on this day in the past, but I did enjoy a little trundle up the estuary.....

Lydney Town were having a bad patch in the mid-Nineties, dropping from the Hellenic, through the County League and down to this level. I had chosen to follow Frampton United whilst I did this league. Their subsequent relegation meant I did the lower division afterwards. Frampton United remain my most watched English non league football team. Ever.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1980 Blades 0 Carlisle 2 L3
1986 Carlisle 1 Blades 0 L2
1988 Matlock Town 5 Barrow 1 NPL
1989 Blades 6 WBA 1 Central League
1991 Peterlee Newtown 0 Consett 1 NL1
1991 Shildon 1 Billingham Synthonia 3 NL1
Good Friday Double Header
1997 Blades 2 Reading 0 L1
2003 Dukinfield Town 2 Wilmslow Albion 1 Manc. 1
2008 Middlewich Town 4 Knutsford 0 Cheshire
2014 Peel Park 3 Borrowdale United 1 East Lancs. 2 Att 7

Rugby League

1985 Eagles 2 Swinton 34 @ Millmoor
1987 Eagles 16 Hunslet 12
2012 Eagles 18 Halifax 50 @ Bramall Lane Att 1,453

The vulture

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Division Four @ The Old Show Ground :
Scunthorpe United 6 Swindon Town 2.
Att 2,042.

I remember that we were hammered but not much of the detail. In fact we scored when 1 down and 4-1 down. The HT score was 4-1 and after the game the league positions were the same as at the start 7th and 11th.

Despite the result Swindon fans knew that under Lou Macari things were on the up after years in the doldrums, indeed the following year we romped to the Divisional title with a then points record. To many Macari is still their favourite ever Town manager.

I do recall being really impressed with the ground, with its cantilever stands and large covered ends. At that time it was still easy to visit a ground having never seen it on TV or even a decent photo of it. Simon Inglis seminal work "The football grounds of England and Wales" had come out 2 years earlier, this being my first opportunity to get any views of many yet to be visited League grounds. In so many ways it was more interesting arriving somewhere without knowing virtually every last detail about the place. Disappointingly I forgot my camera, a pity as I never saw another game here in the final 3 years of its existence.

Although I saw football a few times in Scunthorpe in later years, I didn't see the Railwaymen there for 1 day short of 31 years.....in 2016 we set about putting to bed our 6-2 drubbing, this time losing 6-0 at Glanford Park.

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
South Western League Hop
Friday 29th March, 2002
Penzance (2) 3 Bodmin Town (0) 0 at Penlee Park
Porthleven (2) 2 St Austell (0) 0 at Gala Parc
Falmouth Town (1) 3 Wadebridge Town (1) 1 at Bickland Parc

I was also at the 2002 south west Hop, as mentioned above by Martin55 and Wheelbarrow.
Going back to the first Northern League Hop in 1991/92 I have enjoyed many days dashing around the country on hops, although predominantly the north east and the south west. As I've always had a fondness for seaside venues, this was possibly my favourite hop day of them all with three such grounds and all enjoyed in excellent company.
My recollection of the Friday morning is enjoying a pre-match stroll on the prom at Penzance. I'm guessing that means I must have travelled down the day before as I have no memory of getting snarled up in the M5 traffic described by Wheelbarrow. There was even time to wander down to the harbour at Porthleven then Falmouth's classic Bickland Parc ground to finish off the day.

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
1992 Western League Premier Div Liskeard Athletic 7 Welton Rovers 0
1994 Scottish League D1 Brechin City 0 Airdrieonians 2
1997 Southern League Premier Div King's Lynn 4 Baldock Town 2
2003 South Western League Millbrook 3 Porthleven 2

DonQuixote

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
Saturday 29th March 1975
Nuneaton 1 Romford 3
Southern League, Premier Division
Attendance: ??? Programme: Yes

Romford completed a surprise seven-day double over the title contenders to
screw the Midlands side's chances of glory for a second time in eight years.

Two goals from Paul Davies put the visitors 2-0 in front after only 20 minutes
before Dennis Hawkins pulled one back for the home side before half-time.

Having beaten Barnet at Brooklands the previous day, Good Friday, hopes of
avoiding the drop were rekindled when Tony Burge added a third ten minutes
from time, with what would be his last goal for the club.

Travelled North by car and thanks to the usual reckless driving from one of the
Dawson twins, arrived in record time just as the snow started falling.

Spent 90 minutes in the open - didn't fancy mixing it with the locals in the
Cock and Bull end - and sporting an uncured Afghan coat, it didn't sit well with
our chauffeur, or others come to that, as it started to chuck up on our return.

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1986 was towards the end of the first season I wrote down games I attended, and I was watching my hometown club, Feltham, more often than I was groundhopping.

1987, 1992 and 2009 were all matches on Sundays, while the 2002 double was Good Friday.

Today's photo is from 1999 which was a mad dash from my then workplace in Warrington to get to the Pilkingtons Sports Ground in Glascoed Road, St Asaph, in time for an early evening kick off. My records show that Pilkingtons folded at the end of the following season. No idea if the ground still exists.

1986 Isthmian League, Div 2 South: Feltham 2 Bracknell Town 1 (att 49)
1987 Kent League: Thames Polytechnic 0 Hythe Town 1 (70)
1988 Southern League, Premier Div: Dartford 3 Witney Town 0 (400)
1992 Western League, Division 1: Backwell United 1 Larkhall Athletic 1 (75)
1993 Leicestershire Senior Lge, League Cup 1st round: Kirby Muxloe 2 Fosse Imps 3 (55)
1997 Somerset Senior League, Premier Div: Shepton Mallet 0 Portishead 2 (65)
1999 Clwyd League, Premier Div: Pilkingtons 2 St Asaph Gamekeeper 2 (26)
2000 Sheffield County Senior League, Div 1: High Green Villa 1 Oughtibridge WMSC 1 (21)
2002 11am Sussex County Lge, Div 3: Franklands Village 1 Ansty Rangers 0 (105)
2002 3.15pm Weald of Kent Charity Cup Final: Tenterden Tigers 3 Betteshanger Welfare 1 (200)
2003 Shropshire County Lge, Div 1 Cup SF 1st leg: Weston Rhyn 1 Ellesmere Rangers 2 (74)
2005 Warrington & District Lge, Premier Div: Moorfield 1 St Michaels DH 3 (82)
2006 North Lancs & District Lge, Premier Div: Marsh United 4 Boys Club of Lancaster 0 (42)
2008 SJFA East Region, North Division: Forfar Albion 0 Arbroath Victoria 3 (20)
2009 Welsh Alliance: Bethesda Athletic 6 Nefyn United 0 (100)
2010 West Cheshire Lge, Div 3: Richmond Raith Rovers 4 Hale 2 (32)
2011 Westmorland Lge, Div 1: Endmoor KGR 4 Staveley United 2 (40)
2013 Kent Invicta League: Meridian 1 Orpington 2 (35)
2014 West Yorkshire Lge, Premier Division: Ripon City 2 East End Park WMC 3 (54)
2017 West Cheshire Lge, Div 1: Chester Nomads 1 Helsby 0 (30)

1752.jpg

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
1969 (Saturday)

West Bromwich Albion 0 Leicester City 1
FA Cup Semi-Final
Hillsborough, Sheffield
Att: 53,207

Having seen the Baggies lift the FA Cup the previous year, as I travelled up to Sheffield I was, with the confidence of youth, convinced I would be back at Wembley this season. After all, Albion were sitting mid table whilst Leicester were fighting (unsuccessfully as it turned out) against relegation. I should, of course, have paid more heed to the European Cup-Winners Cup Quarter Final defeat at home to Dunfermline Athletic only a few weeks earlier. As with that game, today Albion never really looked like winning and an Allan Clarke goal in the 86th minute didn’t really come as a surprise.

I had travelled up alone for this one - the boys I went to home games with didn't go for reasons now forgotten, I guess probably beacuse their parents wouldn't let/pay for them. I stood on the Kop, which was an open terrace in those days, and remember that both Albion and Leicester supporters were there. That, and the fact that there is no ticket stub inside my programme makes me wonder whether the game might even have been pay on the day.

A few extracts from the programme (cost 1 shilling):

* “Sheffield Wednesday FC always deem it a favour that occasions such as this should be staged in our stadium. We firmley believe that they are the rewards on enlightened thinking over the years that have brought to the ground the fine standards in spectator comfort and general amenities that we feel as essential”.

* Readers were advised that “For your added enjoyment” the Band of the Royal Corps of Signals would (by permission of the Officers of the Royal Signals) be playing from 1 p.m. to 1.30 p.m and again from 2 p.m to 2.30 p.m. The Dagenham Girl Pipers would play from 1.30 p.m to 2 p.m and 2.30 p.m to 2.50 p.m.

* The pages devoted to Leicester highlighted their huge amount of spending on players with the introduction “Can you really buy soccer success ? Well, Leicester City are here today to add their own spark to this flashpoint of controversy.” The fees “splashed out” included Willie Bell and Peter Rodrigues at £40,000 each; Len Glover and Andy Lochhead £80,000 each; and Clarke £150,000 (“the most expensive player in the Football League”).

* Directions for motorists returning south after the game advised that there would be Police motor cycle patrols on all major roads out of Hillsborough and also Automobile Association patrols at the entrances to the motorway.

* Rail travellers were given the departure times of the 6 football specials departing from Midland station for Albion supporters and the 4 specials (plus a fifth “if necessary”) from Wadsley Bridge for Leicester supporters.

WBA v Leicester.jpg
Albion Team: John Osborne; Doug Fraser (captain); Ray Wilson; Tony Brown; John Talbut; John Kaye; Dennis Martin; Graham Lovett; Jeff Astle; Bobby Hope; Asa Hartford; sub – Clive Clark.

* Scottish players - at this time ‘foreign’ players in the English top division meant Scots and any team looking to challenge for honours would have some in their team. After starting his career as a wing half Fraser converted to an old-school no-nonense fullback and it was no surprise that after leaving football he became a prison guard at Nottingham Gaol. Hope, on the other hand, was an accomplished play maker, setting up many goals and scoring a few himself. Both won 2 Scotland caps. The most successful at international was Hartford with 50 caps (most after he had moved to Manchester City).

Leicester: Peter Shilton; Peter Rodrigues; David Nish (captain), John Sjoberg; Allan Woollett; Graham Cross; Bobby Roberts; Andy Lochhead; Allan Clarke; Rod Fern; Len Glover; sub – Malcolm Manley

Referee: Ray Tinkler

Last edited:

The Willows

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Tuesday 29th March 1994

Clyde 1 Dumbarton 2 Attendance registered as 800 ?

Visited Broadwood to recomplete the Scottish Leagues.
Bumped into ex Stags Player Martin Clark, who took us through the main entrance and led us down the tunnel into the main stand as his guests. A much appreciated gesture.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
If anyone is like me and doesn't open links to twitter accounts and assuming an attendance is mentioned there , I thought I'd mention there were 8,500 at the Spakenburg derby.
Also 12,243 at Pompey.
Ta for the Pompey attendance - struggled to find it with a quick on-line search

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Tuesday 29th March 1994

Clyde 1 Dumbarton 2 Attendance registered as 800 ?

Visited Broadwood to recomplete the Scottish Leagues.
Bumped into ex Stags Player Martin Clark, who took us through the main entrance and led us down the tunnel into the main stand as his guests. A much appreciated gesture.
789 was the official attendance figure. Not sure if you are included in that!

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
2018 Bridgwater Town Reserves 0 Middlezoy Rovers 1 Somerset Premier Att: 224(!)
A great game and crowd for a County game. Bridgy's last season with a Reserve team, I remember the pitch was REALLY heavy and TBH I was surprised it was called playable. Rovers were very good and as local derbies go this was very entertaining fare for the visiting neutral.

agamemnon3

Junior Team Regular
Saturday, March 29th 1980. London Senior Cup Semi-Final.
Dulwich Hamlet v Leytonstone-Ilford 0-3 (0-0). Att: 327

Not the result most were expecting at the wonderful old Champion Hill ground. Dulwich were in third place in the Isthmian Premier, while LI were runaway leaders of the Isthmian Div One, and so a keen contest seemed likely. Not so, Dulwich were completely outplayed, and were more than fortunate to get to the interval at 0-0. After the break their luck ran out, as LI scored three, and should have scored more. LI followed up by beating Barking 3-2 in the London Senior Cup Final a few weeks later, and were also comfortable winners of the Isthmian Div One.

Also worth a mention:
Tuesday, March 29th 1983. Southern League Midland.
Banbury United v Cheltenham Town 2-3 (1-1). Att: 225.

Memorable largely because the train I was on broke down, and over an hour was wasted sitting in a siding waiting for the cavalry. It arrived, eventually, but it meant that I got into the ground only minutes before kick-off, thus missing out on the wander around the town of Banbury that I had planned.

Banbury were mid-table, while Cheltenham were bottom four, but my notes suggest a comfortable win for the away side. I seem to recall a substantial, but rickety wooden grandstand, which I think has since been demolished, and I still haven't had my wander around Banbury.

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Only four on this date for me...

Sunday 29th March 1981 ~ Portsmouth 1-1 Oxford United
Saturday 29th March 1986 ~ Portsmouth 1-1 Wimbledon
Sunday 29th March 1987 ~ Swansea City 0-2 Halifax Town
Friday 29th March 2013 ~ Oxford United 1-1 Morecambe

I've no idea why the 1981 match was played on a Sunday, but the one in 1987 was probably due to Swans still being very quick in those days to change dates due to competing local rugby fixtures, particularly at that time of the year.

Anyway, by far the most memorable of these four matches was...

Saturday 29th March 1986 ~
Division Two
Portsmouth 1-1 Wimbledon

Pompey were second in the table at the time, just beginning to lose touch with runaway leaders Norwich City, but fairly confident of staying ahead of a chasing pack that seemed to offer no great shakes, and we were seemingly ready to win the promotion that we'd missed out on by goal-difference in a much stronger division the previous season. On top of that, the recent signing of Mick Quinn for £150,000 from Oldham and consecutive wins over Charlton and Millwall had put us all in a good mood.

However, the victory at home to Millwall on the Tuesday night five days before had left an odd feeling - for a start Millwall's fans had been banned from travelling that season, and their lack of (official) presence that evening had seen an odd air around the ground. On the pitch it was a scrappy contest, with Pompey riding their luck at times, but still managing to grind out the right result against spirited also-rans. However, one Millwall player stood out that night - John Fashanu had orchestrated a series of running fights with several Pompey players (never a bunch to shirk a punch-up at the quietest of times), getting more than just a rise out of Mick Tait, Mick Kennedy and Noel Blake among others. By the 1986 transfer deadline day just a couple of days later, Fashanu had become Wimbledon's new record signing for £125,000, and made a quickfire return to Fratton Park for Saturday's fixture.

The match against Wimbledon was played in pouring rain under heavy skies The mood was similarly heavy-laden for the attendance of 18,859, as Wimbledon had turned up with their now infamous long-ball tactics and did a lot to frustrate Pompey's flow. However, just before half-time Pompey were awarded a penalty, and in a panicky rush Alan Ball desperately tried to make a substitution before the kick could be taken, trying to bring on penalty-ace Kevin Dillon (who was no.12 that day) to take it. Unfortunately in the confusion, Kevin O'Callaghan of 'Escape To Victory' fame made decisions way above his pay-grade and snatched the ball up himself, only for Dave Beasant to save.

Pompey did eventually take the lead - I think through Noel Blake at the Fratton End - but Wimbledon managed to equalise, I think late on. More importantly, by this time Fashanu had come off the bench to make his Wimbledon debut and proceeded to continue where he'd left off on the Tuesday night - this time going in heavily on Alan Knight, tangling with Billy Gilbert, before smashing an elbow into Kevin Dillon's face and breaking his cheek-bone. Dillon played on (this was the days of a single sub on the bench, and that had been Dillon anyway), but the injury put him out for the rest of the season. At the final whistle, honours even at a point each proved not good enough for some, with Fashanu, Mick Quinn and Billy Gilbert instigating a mass-brawl in the tunnel as the teams left the pitch.

Something else also happened that day, in some ways of even more concern to those of us on the Fratton End - that was the last time for many years that the Fratton End terrace would be open in its entirety. By the time Leeds United defeated Pompey a week later, the large expanse of the back of the terrace which was home to Pompey's noisiest fans had been boarded up, leaving open just the thin lower strip immediately behind the goal. Hampshire County Council had deemed the thirty-year old structure unsafe due to concrete fatigue - apparently, when the terrace had been rebuilt in 1956, post-war austerity had led to the use of shingle dredged from the seabed of the Solent, complete with the salt that then ate away at the metal reinforcements. Demolition and rebuilding would take over eleven years before it would reopen properly in late-1997.

When we beat Brighton at the Goldstone Ground two days later, Dillon's absence didn't seem as if it'd be too much of a problem. But we should've known better than that, and in April we seemed to fall apart, taking just four points that month from what should have been six relatively straight-forward matches - first Charlton Athletic crept up past us, and then Wimbledon did the same. If our fourth-place finish in 1985 had been heroic, this one in 1986 was just plain embarrassing. And even now the mention of John Fashanu's name can make me feel ill.

Portsmouth line-up: Alan Knight, Kenny Swain, Paul Hardyman, Mick Tait, Noel Blake, Billy Gilbert, Kevin O'Callaghan, Mick Kennedy, Mick Quinn, Mick Channon, Vince Hilaire, sub. Kevin Dillon.

Wimbledon line-up: Dave Beasant, Kevin Gage, Nigel Winterburn, Steve Galliers, Mark Morris, Mick Smith, Stewart Evans, Alan Cork, Paul Fishenden, Laurie Sanchez, Carlton Fairweather, sub. John Fashanu.

mayo

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bradford City (lapsed)
Today's photo is from 1999 which was a mad dash from my then workplace in Warrington to get to the Pilkingtons Sports Ground in Glascoed Road, St Asaph, in time for an early evening kick off. My records show that Pilkingtons folded at the end of the following season. No idea if the ground still exists.

View attachment 462
Pilks was a wonderful little ground, surrounded by trees, and with a small cover (shown in your picture) on a low grass bank. When I moved to North Wales in 1992 it was one of the first Welsh grounds I visited, and was one of the reasons why I fell in love with grass roots football in this part of the world.

Looking at Google Maps historical view it was still there in 2006, but looking a bit overgrown. It had gone by 2009, and a company called Pure Residential & Commercial now has a building over half the pitch. The other half is still there (now just a patch of grass), as are the trees.

hemelhopper

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hemel Hempstead Town; Trust Portsmouth FC and the Reds of Cincinnati
March 29th has been one of the quietest days of the year for me, with only one game attended .. which came back in 1980, when Spurs gained revenge for their FA Cup 6th Round exit .. a match I’d also been able to see .. but today, the hosts got it right,

Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Liverpool (Division 1)
- played at White Hart Lane, Tottenham from 3.0pm. Att – 31,114; Entry - probably £1.50.

Can’t really differentiate between either match played this month, other than Terry McDermott’s Goal of the Season in the Cup game .. but a Glenn Hoddle 36 minute pen and a John Pratt goal on 65' were sufficient to gain a hosts win .. with the over-riding memory of the normal walk up Tottenham High Road from Seven Sisters tube station, taking in the atmosphere and buzz around the ground at White Hart Lane .. a ground I loved visiting.

Back then the terracing was very much the name of the game .. with both ends and the Shelf (lower and upper), the latter today's choice, especially as it gave such a great vantage point near half way, let alone watching two of the best sides in the country .. in a season that would eventually see Liverpool secure the title .. but just not the points in North London this day.

The only other memory of this date came in 2006, when I set off on my longest ever #roadtrip .. flying out of Gatwick to Newark, New York .. but that story can wait until tomorrow .. and a change of sports re-told.

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Can't find a WDYG report so here's a list of all games attended on 29th March - I seem to have attended more games on this date than many other days.
Note to Steveb; thanks for crowd figure of 70 at Thames Polytechnic, was that a head count?

1984 (Thurs) Ruislip Manor 2 Marlow 3 (first game under lights at Grosvenor Vale, revisit for me)

1986 (Sat) Bromsgrove Rovers 2 Redditch Utd 0 (1,011) heavy showers, a little surface water at start.

1987 (Sun) Thames Polytechnic 0 Hythe Town 1 (Kent League, plenty of hoppers present)

1988 (Tues) Southend Utd 4 Leiftur 2 (1,020) revisit for friendly v Icelandic side, half-time score 3-2

1991 (Good Friday) Calne Town 4 Devizes Town 0 (crowd n/k) taxi from Chippenham as no buses.

1992 (Sun) RC Tournai 1 SC de Pecq 1 (Belgian daytrip by ferry, great old ground sadly now gone)

1994 (Tues) Oxford United 2 Birmingham City 0 (8, 344)

1997 (Sat) Budleigh Salterton 2 Ottery St Mary 0 (Devon County League, as were the other games)
1997 (Sat) Newton St Cyres 1 Elburton Villa 2 (most enjoyable and obscure tick of the three this day)
1997 (Sat) Willand Rovers 0 Teignmouth 1 (unhappy about circumstances, revisited on Xmas Eve 2016)

1998 (Sun) SC Douai 3 US Marly 1 (French town where guillotine was used as recently as 1977)

2000 (Weds) England U21 3 Yugoslavia U21 0 (play-off at Barcelona's Mini-Estadi)

2002 (Good Friday) Penzance 3 Bodmin Town 0 (first ticked on 1981 summer holiday, no programme)
2002 (same day, Hop) Falmouth Town 3 Wadebridge 1 (as above, but for pre-season friendly)

2003 (Sat) Cheadle Town 0 Blackpool Mechanics 0 (crowd n/k) poor game but sunny weather

2006 (Weds) Droylsden 1 Hyde Utd 2 (cup final at neutral venue of Sportscity athletics track)

2008 (Sat) Oxford United 0 Northwich Victoria 1 (4,673)

2009 (Sun) Prestatyn Town 1 Aberystwyth Town 0 (crowd n/k) fine day in North Wales.

2013 (Good Friday) Oxford United 1 Morecambe 1 (5,523)

2014 (Sat) Duns 1 Hawick Royal Albert 1 (East of Scotland League, at old ground)

2015 (Sun) Eendracht Wervik 1 KSK Vlamertinge 1 (Belgian Eurostar daytrip, newly built ground)

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
Football League Division One

Chelsea v West Ham United, 0-4, H.T. 0-1, Att 29,995

Full highlights here:
Love the state of the pitch. Would kkep Moaning Klopp moaning for weeks if his team were asked to play on a surface like that. o_O

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Can't find a WDYG report so here's a list of all games attended on 29th March - I seem to have attended more games on this date than many other days.
Note to Steveb; thanks for crowd figure of 70 at Thames Polytechnic, was that a head count?

1984 (Thurs) Ruislip Manor 2 Marlow 3 (first game under lights at Grosvenor Vale, revisit for me)

1986 (Sat) Bromsgrove Rovers 2 Redditch Utd 0 (1,011) heavy showers, a little surface water at start.

1987 (Sun) Thames Polytechnic 0 Hythe Town 1 (Kent League, plenty of hoppers present)

1988 (Tues) Southend Utd 4 Leiftur 2 (1,020) revisit for friendly v Icelandic side, half-time score 3-2

1991 (Good Friday) Calne Town 4 Devizes Town 0 (crowd n/k) taxi from Chippenham as no buses.

1992 (Sun) RC Tournai 1 SC de Pecq 1 (Belgian daytrip by ferry, great old ground sadly now gone)

1994 (Tues) Oxford United 2 Birmingham City 0 (8, 344)

1997 (Sat) Budleigh Salterton 2 Ottery St Mary 0 (Devon County League, as were the other games)
1997 (Sat) Newton St Cyres 1 Elburton Villa 2 (most enjoyable and obscure tick of the three this day)
1997 (Sat) Willand Rovers 0 Teignmouth 1 (unhappy about circumstances, revisited on Xmas Eve 2016)

1998 (Sun) SC Douai 3 US Marly 1 (French town where guillotine was used as recently as 1977)

2000 (Weds) England U21 3 Yugoslavia U21 0 (play-off at Barcelona's Mini-Estadi)

2002 (Good Friday) Penzance 3 Bodmin Town 0 (first ticked on 1981 summer holiday, no programme)
2002 (same day, Hop) Falmouth Town 3 Wadebridge 1 (as above, but for pre-season friendly)

2003 (Sat) Cheadle Town 0 Blackpool Mechanics 0 (crowd n/k) poor game but sunny weather

2006 (Weds) Droylsden 1 Hyde Utd 2 (cup final at neutral venue of Sportscity athletics track)

2008 (Sat) Oxford United 0 Northwich Victoria 1 (4,673)

2009 (Sun) Prestatyn Town 1 Aberystwyth Town 0 (crowd n/k) fine day in North Wales.

2013 (Good Friday) Oxford United 1 Morecambe 1 (5,523)

2014 (Sat) Duns 1 Hawick Royal Albert 1 (East of Scotland League, at old ground)

2015 (Sun) Eendracht Wervik 1 KSK Vlamertinge 1 (Belgian Eurostar daytrip, newly built ground)
Thirty-three years on I’ve honestly got no idea where I got the Thames Poly crowd figure from. Doubt it was official so it was most likely either my head count or someone else’s.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks