March 28th

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Regular
Tuesday 28 March 2017

Combined Counties Premier

Knaphill 4 Bedfont & Feltham 0

A hat-trick for Charlie Postance in this one ( 42, 64 and 73). Kersley opened the scoring on 30. B&F were relegated in this season and in this match they were lucky to get nil.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Seems it's the weekend, I'll bite the bullet and post in this section, although I might feel inadequate compared to some of our most esteemed parishioners;

2016 Stockton Town 1 Cleater Moor Celtic 0 Monkwearmouth Charity Cup Final
Easter Monday Double header
Think we watched this one together, Ian. Having just been out on my push bike for 30 minutes, I can say it was as cold and windy as it is today!

The vulture

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Western League Division One @ Irnham Road :
Minehead* 0 Gillingham Town 3.
Att 43. Entry ?....probably nothing but I do have a programme, but without a cover price.

Of course I remember very little apart from the struggling hosts being easily beaten.
Records show it was 0-1 at HT and after this result Minehead were 20th (bottom) of the table and the Gills were 13th. By the season end Gills had moved up one place, Minehead stayed bottom but weren't relegated for another year.
I do remember it being in a public park and there being a magnificent grandstand (particularly for Western League level). What my photos show but I do not remember at all is how the back of a brick building provided 2 sections of 3 stepped cover, one of which contained a tea hatch.

* FCHD suggests that for the period 1998 - 2012 they were known as Minehead Town. My records, prog and the league table refer to them without the Town part of the name. Any any got any knowledge about this?

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Western League Division One @ Irnham Road :
Minehead* 0 Gillingham Town 3.
Att 43. Entry ?....probably nothing but I do have a programme, but without a cover price.

Of course I remember very little apart from the struggling hosts being easily beaten.
Records show it was 0-1 at HT and after this result Minehead were 20th (bottom) of the table and the Gills were 13th. By the season end Gills had moved up one place, Minehead stayed bottom but weren't relegated for another year.
I do remember it being in a public park and there being a magnificent grandstand (particularly for Western League level). What my photos show but I do not remember at all is how the back of a brick building provided 2 sections of 3 stepped cover, one of which contained a tea hatch.

* FCHD suggests that for the period 1998 - 2012 they were known as Minehead Town. My records, prog and the league table refer to them without the Town part of the name. Any any got any knowledge about this?

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
My Western League history books both note the change to Town in 1998. However, I have Minehead progs spanning 1969-2010 and all say Minehead AFC. There was a similar and equally odd name change for roughly the same period for Glastonbury (Town).

Think we need Jaundiced Hack to shed light...

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Two games stand out on this date for me

1992 South Western League
Falmouth Town 1 Newquay 0

2009 FA Vase SF 1st Leg
Chalfont St Peter 3 Glossop North End 3

Ellisref

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Absent for a few days due to work...…………...

1981 - London Welsh v Old Edmontonians (SOL Senior 2) - referee. Played at Gunnersbury Park, London Welsh used to provide their hospitality at the Waggon & Horses, Kew Bridge then Gwynne & Mary moved to the Bell & Crown, Strand on the Green. Many a pleasant Saturday night as I'd call in on my way home.
1982 - The Wailers v Kimber (Sportsmans 1) - referee. Played at South Park, Fulham.
1990 - Brentford Res v Southend United Res (Capital) - linesman. An midweek afternoon game at Griffin Park
1992 - Salisbury City v Braintree Town (Beazer Homes South) - referee. Played at the old Victoria Park ground, I never had a good game there, I blame it on the old lady with the hand bell!
1993 - Shillingstone v Lytchett Red Triangle (Dorset Sunday 1) - referee. Lovely little village ground, first played cricket there in the early 1970s
1999 - Parkbury v Berrans Park Avenue (Bournemouth Sunday 3) - referee. Played at Wallisdown Rec - now part of Bournemouth University
2004 - Branksome Railway Hotel v Bournemouth Electric (Bournemouth Sunday Premier) - referee. Followed by a swift dash to the old BAT ground at Totton for PSL Bukes v Bear Hotel (Hampshire Sunday junior B Cup Final) - 4th official.
2009 - Verwood Town Res v Redlynch & Woodfalls United (Bournemouth Premier) - referee. Played at Potterne Park
2012 - Bournemouth School 1st XI v Poole GS 1st XI - referee. A serious local derby. The two schools I used to help out on a regular basis
2015 - Brockenhurst v Bournemouth (Wessex Premier) - observer. Att. 65
2016 - AEK Boco v Bristol Telephones (Gloucester County League) - observer. Easter Monday at one of the friendliest clubs I've visited. Att. 125
2017 - Bashley v Team Solent (Wessex Premier) - observer. Att. 130

stingray

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
1981 - Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool (Game No. 5)
2005 - Accrington Stanley 2-2 York City (Game No. 233)
2009 - Leighton Town 2-0 Soham Town Rangers (Game No. 459)
2012 - Crawley Green 1-0 Welwyn Garden City (Game No. 714)
2015 - Leighton Town 2-1 Daventry Town (Game No. 1010)

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Aston Villa (2) 2 Southampton (1) 1
Football League Division One, Att.: 32,467
Saturday 28th March, 1981

Villa went into this game having slipped slightly in their pursuit of the Championship. One point from the previous two games had left Ipswich one point clear with a game in hand and a better goal difference.
Southampton featured Kevin Keegan, Mick Channon and Alan Ball. Judging by photos of the game they forced Villa to attack The Holte in the first half but that didn't work out for them. Tony Morley and David Geddis both scored just before half time following an early own goal from Allan Evans. Ipswich also won, however, so it was a case of just keeping the pressure on and hoping they would falter.
David Geddis only had the opportunity to play when Peter Withe was serving one of his periodic suspensions for dissent but this was another valuable contribution in a season that saw him finish with four goals in eight games.
The standard 24 page "News & Record" sold for 35p with Ron Saunders as ever demanding 110% from the players in his column.

Dr Love

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Halifax Town
Shortwood United 0-0 Reading Town
Hellenic League Premier Division

One of the first things I was asked on arriving at Shortwood after finding out I'd come from Reading was whether I was the drummer. As it turned out the most memorable noise I head that day was the crowds over at Forest Green. It was clear they had scored four times, but not that Lewes had taken an early lead.

One of the better scoreless games I've seen over the years, and the ground is certainly one worth visiting again, though it took a decade to finally get round to it.

Last edited:

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Nothing particularly stands out among this lot from previous 28th March, apart from a tendency to visit Northcourt Road...

1998 ~ Swansea City 2-0 Chester City
1999 ~ Portsmouth 1-3 Barnsley
2009 ~ Abingdon United 0-2 Winchester City
2013 ~ Abingdon United 1-3 Sholing
2017 ~ Abingdon United 1-0 Hook Norton

...but I do have some blurry photographs from...

Saturday 28th March 1998 ~
(I was still calling it...) Division Four
Swansea City 2-0 Chester City

...with a meagre attendance of about 2,500. I was no longer living in Swansea by this time, but would still regularly travel back for weekends - this occasion was with a mate of mine called Andy from Sandown on the Isle Of Wight. He wasn't a big fan of football, which might explain why these photos are taken in the more modern East Stand at the Vetch Field where I'd not normally sit for a match - I probably thought that the coarseness of the North Bank might be too much for his timid Caulkhead sensibilities.

The main change to the Vetch Field around this time was the large new bright white roof on top of the away West Terrace, looking like an upturned rowing-boat. This was built after the recent demolition of the old double-decker West Stand, which had sat derelict and unused ever since its closure following the 1985 Popplewell Inquiry into the Valley Parade fire. Sorry about the fuzziness of the photos, but they do go some way to illustrating quite how small the Vetch Field pitch was - at 101x64 metres it was reputedly the smallest pitch in the league at the time.

1585422974888.png
1585422853817.png
1585422904526.png

hemelhopper

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hemel Hempstead Town; Trust Portsmouth FC and the Reds of Cincinnati
March 28th has been a quiet date over the course of time, with just a mid-week trip to Keynsham Town in 2017, watching the Somerset Premier Cup S/F, the hosts losing 1-2 to Taunton Town .. Hemel Hempstead lost by the only goal at Boreham Wood in 2015, whilst the latter was still in the Conference South .. not the best match I recall .. so, I’ll spilt those games with a recap of,

Mangotsfield United 1-0 Swindon Supermarine
(Evostik Southern League, South-West Division)
… played at Cossham Street, Mangotsfield from 3.0pm

Att – 140 (official); Entry £8 and Prog £1.50 .. lots of newsy items;
Weather – sun was out with drying wind .. pitch looked fine if damp;
Travel – A34 and along M4 to Jct 18;
Colours – Mangos in claret tops and light blue shorts .. Supermarine in an all blue

A pleasant Easter Monday afternoon chosen due to postponements elsewhere .. parking up in the second nearest space to the main turnstiles .. taking a seat high and wide in the main stand, able to look out over a tight knit stadium from a good vantage point, with church steeple and clock face set as backdrop to firm balding pitch, protected by white blockwork surrounds and advertising .. with more enclosed tin sheet roofing over terraces, to each end and the opposite side, where dugouts were located.

A disappointing Supermarine performance .. especially as they were perched in the play-off positions and I thought they would be up for it a bit more .. Mangos thought differently .. took the wind in their face first half, absorbed some pressure early on, nicked a goal on 21 minutes with a lashed left foot shot from edge of box .. played out the half .. and with sun in defender’s eyes during second half, kept the visitors on the back-foot chasing balls lobbed over their heads .. the latter not being able to breach a very efficient Mango keeper this afternoon, with assured handling .. thus, a deserved win by our hosts .. and for me an unexpected tick and enjoyable afternoon.

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
This is my oldest WDYG report so far, dating from 2009.

Wessex League (Division One) 3pm

Fawley AFC 2 Whitchurch United 2 (H/T 1-0)

Entry - £4

Programme - 20 pages, included in entry fee

Attendance - approx 15

This was one of those weekends where I was not sure where I was going to go to until Saturday morning. Heavy showers were forecast for much of the UK and had Oxford United been at home, I would definitely had gone there. Eventually I decided that the forecast suggested that the showers would avoid an area roughly between Southampton and Weymouth (although another WDYG report on this thread suggests that there were showers at Hamworthy) so I decided to go down to Fawley.

The ground is a typical 'works' set-up with a huge and luxurious social club and a very spacious sports complex. A rugby match was in progress next to the clubhouse & the football pitch was at the far end. There are two areas of flat, covered standing, plus a proper stand which is nearing completion and only has the roof to be added. It has three very large steps and so gives a good elevated view of the match if you stand at the back. Refreshments were sold from a portacabin behind one goal. Another rugby pitch nearby has a covered area and may have been a previous football pitch - it is possible to view the football pitch from under this cover, albeit with a slightly restricted view.

You may need to be patient you want a programme though, as the person taking gate money did not arrive until about ten minutes before kick-off, The game wasn't bad, especially in the second half. And the showers stayed away!

huttonpark

Junior Team Starter
Saturday 28 March 1970
Football League Division 1
West Ham 1 Liverpool 0
Attendance 38239
Programme - One Shilling

An early goal scored by Pat Holland settled this game. Also included in the West Ham side were Bobby Moore, Billy Bonds, Frank Lampard (senior), Geoff Hurst and Jimmy Greaves who by then had transferred from Tottenham. Included in the Liverpool side were Ray Clemence, Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughes and Ian St John. Not a particularly exciting game from what I can remember but a good win for West Ham which eased any lingering relegation fears.

Ricardo

Junior Team Sub
1987 Liverpool 1 Wimbledon 2 only disappointing thing about this game was that due to high winds all trains had restricted speed so our special train didn’t get to the ground till about half an hour in, Winterburn put us 1-0 up, Dalglish equalised with a worldie and with about 10 mins to go Alan Cork headed the winner. Looking back it seems miraculous and some say it was the result that helped give Everton the title as it was so unexpected, but at the time we were on such a rollercoaster that we didn’t think it was a surprise, the team had got over their inferiority complex and had got the self belief along with the talent that few credited them with.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
2002 (Thursday)

1.FC Union Berlin 0 SpVgg Greuther Furth 0
2. Bundesliga
@ Stadion An der Alten Försterei KO: 19:00
Adm: €8.50. Prog: €1.50 Att: 12,395

Union had been promoted to the Bundesliga for the first time at the end of 2000/01. Before the start of this season there were doubts whether they would be able to play at their traditional ground, dating from 1920, due to the dilapidated state of the terracing which formed three sides. Eventually enough patching up was done to allow the German FA to issue permission on a 'temporary basis' but with a reduced capacity. Union had also qualified for the UEFA Cup after losing to Schalke 04 in the 2001 Cup Final - both their home games in that competition had to be played at the Friedrich-Ludwig-Jahn-Stadion. In view of the reduced capacity I had gone down to the ground to buy a ticket the day before but, in the event, there would have been no problem buying on the day.

As normal in Germany fans began to arrive at the ground early to commence the consumption of beer and wurst. As kick off drew closer a smatly dressed man strode to the centre circle with a microphone and an announcement was made that he was from the Berlin Opera and would be performing a rendition of the club anthem "Eisern Union". A murmur went round the terraces which was not overly enthusiastic and the man began to sing. Almost immediately the mood in the crowd changed - this was clearly someone would could really sing (think Pavarotti and "Nessun Dorma" at the 1990 World Cup) and this was probably the best pre-match performance I have ever witnessed.

After that, the match itself was a bit of a let down as both teams pretty much cancelled each other out (probably not a surprise as the game in Furth earlier in the season was also 0-0) but the beer continued to flow and the crowd continued to sing and all was good with the world.

A more mundane rendition of Eisern Union can be heard here, complete with footage of the now completely modernised stadium.

Last edited:

agamemnon3

Junior Team Regular
Monday, March 28th 1983. Centenary Friendly.
Watford v Corinthian Casuals 6-1 (4-0). Att: 3686.

The most pleasant of evenings at Vicarage Road, and 'A Special Challenge Match For the Sheriff of London Shield', according to the match programme. This was part of the celebrations of the centenary year of the Corinthians FC, formed in 1882 specifically to counter the supremacy that Scottish footballers were perceived to have over the English at the time.

I'm not sure why Watford were chosen for this, but they certainly entered into the spirit of the thing, and took the field in Victorian apparel, with buttoned-up shirts, long shorts and even a few caps with tassels.

With both sides playing a traditional 2-3-5 formation, Watford had a four goal lead at the interval. In the second half, Watford manager Graham Taylor came on, (his only ever appearance for them), and with a couple of the Watford players now playing for the Casuals, the game was much more of an even contest.

Watford's goals came from Sterling (2), Lohman, Terry, Richardson and Johnson, but the biggest cheer of the night was heard when Casuals got a goal back, courtesy, (I think), of their leading scorer Bernie Merron, formerly of Bromley. Both sides went on a lap of honour at the end, and most of the crowd stayed to applaud.

A terrific evening, I'm glad I went.

DJM61

Junior Team Hopeful
A trip to the Riverside Archives reveals....

28th March 1987 - Willenhall Town 1 v 0 Aylesbury United - Southern League Premier Division
Prog 28 Pages 30p (now with genuine rusty staple)* - Admission £3.00* - Att 130

* Estimates, as I did not start keeping written records until July 1988.

Remember next to nothing about the game apart for the fact that for a promotion chasing team, Aylesbury were desperately disappointing. What is remembered though was the day and at the start of the journey the thought that the afternoon would be spent at Noose Lane was never on the agenda.

Recall that the day was very windy and en route to the chosen match at South Liverpool, the 125 came to a complete halt outside Stafford station due to overhead power cables being brought down by the gusts. We waited and patiently waited until about 13.15 we finally crawled into Stafford, there was no chance of reaching Holly Park, therefore it was a quick flick through The Guardian fixtures (TFT was still a twinkle in Mr Berry's eyes at this stage). One journey to Wolverhampton and then a convenient bus to Willenhall and a dash up Noose Lane and destination was reached at approx. 14.45. In the prog, there is a rail ticket for a return journey between Rayleigh and Runcorn for a mere £8.00, why it was so cheap will remain another of life's little mysteries.

A quick scan of the line ups show Allan Dulleston, Tony Hadland and Jim Skidmore for the hosts (probably memorable due to their surnames, if they were Smith & Brown...). Many of the Aylesbury players can be recalled, Keith Baker in goal, Peter Hutter in the centre of defence, Garry Harthill and up front the two Cliff's, Campbell and The Ducks finest son Hercules.

Aylesbury were involved in a titanic battle for the SL championship that season with the money bags of Fisher Athletic, which the latter won due to The Ducks having the fixture backlog from Hades - sixteen games played during April 1987 including four on consecutive midweek evenings during the final week. The first of which on the Monday was in effect the title decider against Fisher which ended goalless, this meant a second trip on consecutive nights to Buckingham Road, where Aylesbury's then programme editor (who I seem to recall is an occasional visitor to this boards shores - Hello Dave!!) questioned my sanity for the next instalment against Bromsgrove, who beat a clearly tired home team 3-2 including a memorable strike from Malcolm Dunkley a striker that I recall had legs the length of a stork but for his ungainliness packed a powerful strike.

Going back to Willenhall, revisited in 2005 and even though the town team has disappeared, the ground is still being used by Sporting Khalsa. They were one of many teams being considered for a visit after 14th March but obviously are no longer on the current agenda.

In the future perhaps..
A trip to the Riverside Archives reveals....

28th March 1987 - Willenhall Town 1 v 0 Aylesbury United - Southern League Premier Division
Prog 28 Pages 30p (now with genuine rusty staple)* - Admission £3.00* - Att 130

* Estimates, as I did not start keeping written records until July 1988.

Remember next to nothing about the game apart for the fact that for a promotion chasing team, Aylesbury were desperately disappointing. What is remembered though was the day and at the start of the journey the thought that the afternoon would be spent at Noose Lane was never on the agenda.

Recall that the day was very windy and en route to the chosen match at South Liverpool, the 125 came to a complete halt outside Stafford station due to overhead power cables being brought down by the gusts. We waited and patiently waited until about 13.15 we finally crawled into Stafford, there was no chance of reaching Holly Park, therefore it was a quick flick through The Guardian fixtures (TFT was still a twinkle in Mr Berry's eyes at this stage). One journey to Wolverhampton and then a convenient bus to Willenhall and a dash up Noose Lane and destination was reached at approx. 14.45. In the prog, there is a rail ticket for a return journey between Rayleigh and Runcorn for a mere £8.00, why it was so cheap will remain another of life's little mysteries.

A quick scan of the line ups show Allan Dulleston, Tony Hadland and Jim Skidmore for the hosts (probably memorable due to their surnames, if they were Smith & Brown...). Many of the Aylesbury players can be recalled, Keith Baker in goal, Peter Hutter in the centre of defence, Garry Harthill and up front the two Cliff's, Campbell and The Ducks finest son Hercules.

Aylesbury were involved in a titanic battle for the SL championship that season with the money bags of Fisher Athletic, which the latter won due to The Ducks having the fixture backlog from Hades - sixteen games played during April 1987 including four on consecutive midweek evenings during the final week. The first of which on the Monday was in effect the title decider against Fisher which ended goalless, this meant a second trip on consecutive nights to Buckingham Road, where Aylesbury's then programme editor (who I seem to recall is an occasional visitor to this boards shores - Hello Dave!!) questioned my sanity for the next instalment against Bromsgrove, who beat a clearly tired home team 3-2 including a memorable strike from Malcolm Dunkley a striker that I recall had legs the length of a stork but for his ungainliness packed a powerful strike.

Going back to Willenhall, revisited in 2005 and even though the town team has disappeared, the ground is still being used by Sporting Khalsa. They were one of many teams being considered for a visit after 14th March but obviously are no longer on the current agenda.

In the future perhaps..

DJM61

Junior Team Hopeful
Hi Graham
After Aylesbury played the Four homes played
Crawley on the Friday away then on Saturday played Wycombe at Wolverton in the the B&B Cup Final

Digdagdog

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
2017 Fareham Town 3 Fawley AFC 4 Wessex Premier Att: 103
A bit of a shock result from memory as Fawley were bottom and the home side were expected to win. They were pretty abject in what was a good game.

2018 Royal Wootton Basset Town Development 1 Purton 1 Wiltshire Senior Att: 42 (h/c)

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks