Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Time to add your next set of matches, mine will follow soon

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Tuesday 28th March 2006
Cardiff Grange Harlequins 0 Port Talbot Town 5 (HT 0-3)
Welsh Premier League (7.30)
Attendance 88
Programme £1 (20pp)

Poor ground, poor game. In their only season at this level, Grange Quins were cannon fodder. The hosts, seven points adrift at the bottom, fielded a young side. Port Talbot Town, sixth and eyeing qualification for the Champions League (or the Uefa or Intertoto cups), cruised to victory, extending Quins’ winless sequence to 19 games. It was Quins’ sixth consecutive outing without a goal.

Leckwith - more correctly, it seems, Cardiff Athletic - Stadium (site now occupied by Cardiff City’s new place) was built primarily for athletics. Only the main stand opened for this rain-hit midweek evening fixture. With the eight-lane tartan track and jump runways twixt stand and pitch, it felt as though the action - such as it was - took place in a different postal district.

In his match programme notes, Quins chairman David Pinches tried to be upbeat. “Whilst club finances are still precarious,” he wrote, “I must say they are no longer critical. A steady improvement since the new year has been enhanced by some recent profitable activity. But we must not be complacent. There is much hard work to do before the season end.” He revealed the youth team had “stormed into” the Welsh Youth Cup quarter-finals by beating “much fancied” Cambrian & Clydach Vale Boys 4-1. Quins next faced Cardiff City Youth; a glamour tie scheduled for University Playing Fields, Treforest.

Can’t say I recognise any of the players. Quins with exotic names were Omar Abdillahi, Ramos Karvouniaris and Nelson N’Sahau. A White (Nathan) and a Fish (Liam) were adjacent in the programme team listings. The best Port could respond with, by way of the exotic, was Leigh De Vulgt.

Quins duly went down in bottom place, four points short of Cwmbran Town and safety. The pair were well behind third-bottom Newtown. Port Talbot came home fifth, missing out on European football by a point. The top four was champions Total Network Solutions, Llanelli, Rhyl and Carmarthen Town.

Northwich Victoria 2 Telford United 1 (2003, Conference National). Played on a Friday evening at Wincham Park, home of Vics’ town rivals Witton Albion. Two cracking goals in three minutes (60-63) climaxed a stirring Northwich fightback as they all but staved off the threat of relegation. Telford's David Brown was dismissed, for dissent, in the 72nd minute. Disappointing for Bucks, good value for a half-time lead. 530 looking on.

Halifax Town 1 Hayes 1 (1998, The Football Conference). Hayes frustrated champions elect Halifax, who turned in a fitful, disjointed display. Urged on by most in a 2,506 crowd, the Shaymen had their chances, notably in the second half, but Hayes closed them down in midfield and kicked whatever they chose. A scrappy game on a hard pitch. Far too much whistle from Walsall referee Mark Warren, a police officer, who later in the season ran the line at the World Cup Final. Must have ticked the right boxes.

Other sports:

Halifax 12 Widnes 8 (1987, rugby league, Challenge Cup, Semi-Final @ Headingley, Leeds). Despite this being screened live on the Beeb, I headed to West Yorkshire from the wilds of Cumbria to see my hometown team’s attempt to reach Wembley. The driver was Dave, an industrial chemist, a lovely lad, one of two house mates. The other, Alan, a dour Scot who grew up in Irvine, couldn’t be persuaded to join us. As I remember, we had a hard job persuading Alan, another industrial chemist, whose girlfriend, Jenny, a pharmacist, was sweetness personified, to do anything but be miserable. Though Dave was from Worsley, he preferred Manchester United FC to Swinton RLFC. In my excitement, bounding down the stairs, I cracked the top of my head on the low kitchen lintel. Blood everywhere, delayed departure.

All’s well that ends well. Fax, the reigning league champions, duly came up with the goods, disposing of ‘cup kings’ Widnes at rugby league’s finest club ground. 16,064 in attendance. Highlight of a tense game (typical semi-final, really) was a stunning solo try from Fax’s jet-heeled import centre Grant Rix, a Queenslander, who found a gap then outpaced the cover from halfway. Prop Keith Neller, another Aussie in the Fax ranks, was the official man of the match. Closing stages fraught with anxiety as Widnes, buoyed by a Phil McKenzie try, fought back from 2-10 down but Fax held on.

In the final, which I attended, together with 30,000 Haligonians, Fax pipped St Helens 19-18. A John Pendlebury drop goal separated the teams, though the afternoon would be remembered for a more important intervention by the lanky loose forward. With Saints centre Mark Elia poised to touch down the decisive try in the left corner, Pendlebury emerged, apparently from nowhere, to dislodge the ball from the Kiwi’s grasp. Pendlebury, incidentally, had scored Fax’s other try in the semi-final.

These were great times at Halifax RLFC, whom backer David Brook’s millions had transformed from ugly duckling into beautiful swan. No more yo-yoing between the divisions! The club's late lamented Thrum Hall ground received a makeover, too. Following up a championship triumph with a Challenge Cup victory was unprecedented in Halifax’s history. Sadly, it’s not likely to happen again. Nor is joining up with genial Dave, the driver for many late 1980s sport-watching trips. I lost touch with him a few years after we’d both left Cumbria for employment pastures new.

Check out Grant Rix’s wonder try (2:20):

Bowdon 31 Manchester Medics 14 (2015, rugby union, South Lancashire & Cheshire One). Third bottom versus fourth bottom relegation battle won comfortably by Bowdon, whose first-half superiority, yielding two tries and three penalties, proved decisive. Medics hit back with a converted try but two Bowdon tries in as many minutes on the hour ended hopes of a fightback. Torrential rain towards the end at a cover-free venue was ignored only by a small group of pissed middle-aged hoorays. The soberest, grinning broadly, shouted at his pie-eyed mates: “You’ve let the game down, you’ve left the club down, you’ve let your families down and you’ve let yourselves down.” 100 watching, a fair number the corporate clan.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 1.
Wolves 0 Leicester City 1 (21,694)
A Jim Melrose effort settled this one midway through the first half is my memory is correct.

SPL.
Rangers 1 Motherwell 0 (37,305)
I was spending that much time at Ibrox in those days is was crazy. A couple of us used to get the midnight train from New Street, have such a great day out doing the things that come natural in Glasgow and heading back south on the midnight from Central. Ally McCoist won this one for Gers as he so often did.

Division 2.
AFC Bournemouth 2 Leicester City 1. (8,913)
Went to Bournemouth a couple of times with City back in the day and memories of this encounter are non-existent so I can only presume it was another fun weekend.

UCL Premier.
Wellingborough Town 0 Stamford Town 2 (67)

Leics Senior Cup Semi-Final.
Ibstock Welfare 2 St Andrews 1 (150) @ Holmes Park.

Many years missing due to not keeping records of games attended.

Blue Square North.
Altrincham 4 Hinckley United 1. (695)

Blue Square North.
Gateshead 5 Hinckley United 0.
The season was coming to an end and it couldn't come fast enough for those that were travelling with Knitters as this was the third loss in a week . Memories stand out as this being the first ground I had visited where they had a total ban on smoking throughout the stadium so me and the much missed friend and forum member Jazzwasp were huddling at the back of the stand having a crafty drag whenever the stewards were not looking... . I had seen enough with 15 left and departed to get an earlier train from Newcastle back south. In the coming years I was to leave grounds on many occasions early watching stuff that was worse than this with United.

Tales From The Riverbank3

Junior Team Starter
A trip to the Riverside Archives reveals....

28th March 1987 - Willenhall Town 1 v 0 Aylesbury United - Southern League Premier Division
Prog 28 Pages 30p (now with genuine rusty staple)* - Admission £3.00* - Att 130

* Estimates, as I did not start keeping written records until July 1988.

Remember next to nothing about the game apart for the fact that for a promotion chasing team, Aylesbury were desperately disappointing. What is remembered though was the day and at the start of the journey the thought that the afternoon would be spent at Noose Lane was never on the agenda.

Recall that the day was very windy and en route to the chosen match at South Liverpool, the 125 came to a complete halt outside Stafford station due to overhead power cables being brought down by the gusts. We waited and patiently waited until about 13.15 we finally crawled into Stafford, there was no chance of reaching Holly Park, therefore it was a quick flick through The Guardian fixtures (TFT was still a twinkle in Mr Berry's eyes at this stage). One journey to Wolverhampton and then a convenient bus to Willenhall and a dash up Noose Lane and destination was reached at approx. 14.45. In the prog, there is a rail ticket for a return journey between Rayleigh and Runcorn for a mere £8.00, why it was so cheap will remain another of life's little mysteries.

A quick scan of the line ups show Allan Dulleston, Tony Hadland and Jim Skidmore for the hosts (probably memorable due to their surnames, if they were Smith & Brown...). Many of the Aylesbury players can be recalled, Keith Baker in goal, Peter Hutter in the centre of defence, Garry Harthill and up front the two Cliff's, Campbell and The Ducks finest son Hercules.

Aylesbury were involved in a titanic battle for the SL championship that season with the money bags of Fisher Athletic, which the latter won due to The Ducks having the fixture backlog from Hades - sixteen games played during April 1987 including four on consecutive midweek evenings during the final week. The first of which on the Monday was in effect the title decider against Fisher which ended goalless, this meant a second trip on consecutive nights to Buckingham Road, where Aylesbury's then programme editor (who I seem to recall is an occasional visitor to this boards shores - Hello Dave!!) questioned my sanity for the next instalment against Bromsgrove, who beat a clearly tired home team 3-2 including a memorable strike from Malcolm Dunkley a striker that I recall had legs the length of a stork but for his ungainliness packed a powerful strike.

Going back to Willenhall, revisited in 2005 and even though the town team has disappeared, the ground is still being used by Sporting Khalsa. They were one of many teams being considered for a visit after 14th March but obviously are no longer on the current agenda.

In the future perhaps..

Last edited:

groundhoppers.blog

Junior Team Sub
My favourite from this date, without doubt, was an international between Azerbaijan and Finland. Notable for several reasons - my first ever visit to Baku among them - but, from a footballing perspective, this was a very rare Azeri victory in a competitive game. A decent Finnish team put in a lethargic display, gave away a late goal and saw its Euro 2008 prospects fade.

There were consequences for Azerbaijan, too: fans typically took sheets of newspaper to the game, rather than park their backsides on dusty seats. As the final whistle approached, most of these papers were set alight and waved around triumphantly. The following season, newspapers were banned from Azeri football!

There's more, including photos, on my blog at https://groundhoppers.blog/2016/02/17/a-giantkilling-in-baku/

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Very slim pickings for me. Just two, very recent, matches

2017 - Bishops Cleeve 1-2 North Leigh - a particularly bad tempered game
2019 - Easington Colliery 2-3 Billingham Synthonia - a decent game, but affected by a strong wind.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I do not often ask why the 2014 game in Regionalliga Nord, BV Cloppenburg v Werder II had a delayed kick off. But if you go to BV Coppenburg on twitter, you will find a picture of a helicopter on the pitch, taking a local patient to a larger nearby hospital. I have only twice seen the air ambulance on the pitch before kick off. The other was on the old ground of Newport IOW at Church Litten

I have also sent by twitter, three pictures from Llanrhaeadr for their match in 2016 prior to seeing Cheltenham lose 2-1 in Wrexham. Cheltenham defeats by the Welsh are responsible for my two highest attendances for the date, with 4463 at Wrexham, just beaten by the 4669 that saw Cheltenham lose at home by 2-1 to Swansea (2005). I have also seen Cheltenham lose at home to Plymouth by 3-0 (3831, 2015) and draw 1-1 at Walsall (4101, 2009). These are the top four crowds of the day.

In the days before Hops were formalised, the South West still could produce multiple fixtures for the bank holiday, so on good Friday 1986, we headed to South Western League games, Millbrook v Torpoint and Clyst Rovers v Truro City, with attendances estimated at 100 and 50. Both finished as 3-3 draws and we headed on to the day's big game - a derby in the Western League between Tiverton Town and Elmore, which attracted 290 at Ladysmead. This game was also a draw, but sadly goalless.

The only attendance I have listed as less than 50, was 20 for Sporting BTC 1-0 Michelmersh & Timsbury in 2007. I would think this was more than 50% hoppers.

Twice in Scotland on the date, visiting Peebles Rovers in 1987 (2-4 v Vale of Leithen, att. 80) and Airdrie United (as they were known in 2003) (2-0 v Berwick Rangers, Att. 1276).

In 1997, I made the last of my six visits to Stadion Menteng, before support f Persija became a big thing in Indonesia. The match against Persiraja drew about 300, with quite a few supporting the visitors. Not that anyone would have travelled the length of Summatra and then into Java to see their team lose 1-0, but that the game gives an opportunity for people from Banda Aceh to meet up

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
As Talk Talk not playing ball just a quick outline.
Internationals date.

EDIT. Apologies to Talk Talk it's a BT problem.

Wednesday.
World Cup.
19-30 at Highfield Rd, Coventry.
Northern Ireland 1 v 1 Portugal.

Wednesday.
World Cup.
20-30 at Qemal Stafa, Tirana.
Albania 1 v 3 England.

England line up- Seaman , Neville G , Cole , Butt , Fedinand , Campbell , Beckham , Scholes , Cole , Owen , McManaman.
Subs- Brown for Campbell , Heskey for McManaman & Sheringham for Owen.
Unused - Neville P , Martyn , Carragher & Fowler.

England made hard work of this , Sven Goran's 3rd straight win. Going into the break at 0-0, it took until Michel Owen scored on 74 to open up an Albanian defence.
Scholesie scored from close range on 86 and then a couple of goals in time added on, firstly by Albanian sub Altiri Rrakill on 93 to give England a few jitters .
Andy Cole scored for the first time for quite a while with a 95th minute effort.
There were crowd problems then with Cole appearing to be hit by something thrown from the terracing.

For the last 6 minutes of the game England equalled the record of having 7 players of one club on the pitch , namely G Neville, Butt , Beckham , Scholes , Cole with Brown & Sheringham coming on as subs.

Laughter the best medicine as 'dirty' Dutch seek comic relief

Picture showing Norman Wisdom wearing a half and half shirt on the pitch at the game.
As we ALL 🙄 know Norman was ''Big in Albania''.

Wednesday.
E C.
19-45 at Croke Park, Dublin.
Eire 1 v 0 Slovakia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hJ220PepG8

Saturday.
EC.
20-45 at National Stadium, Andorra la Vella.
Andorra 0 v 3 Bosnia & H.

Dzeko hat trick.
Below. Summary , teams, highlights courtesy of UEFA. To watch highlights you need to register , painless with Facebook , then you can watch all their highlights.

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/match/2013930--andorra-vs-bosnia-and-herzegovina/lineups/?iv=true

Special mention.

Good Friday.
11-00.West Ham 2 v 2 Stoke.
15-00.Spurs 3 v 0 Wolves.
19-30. Coventry 2 v 2 Sheff U.

All top flight , poss add more meat if BT comes to life.

Last edited:

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
1992 Pickering Town v Hallam 0-2 Northern Counties East
1997 Alphington v Topsham 2-1- Devon league (first hop game)
1998 K St. Niklase SK v VW Hamme Belgium D2 (Nico Claesen, once of Spurs, scored 1 of the St Niklase goals)
1999 Biggleswade Tn v Milton Keynes 3-1 Spartan/Sth Mids
2002 Newton Abbot v Newton Abbot Spurs Devon League, (first game of this years hop)
2009 Easington Utd v Chalk Lane 0-1 Humber Prem.
2012 Sheffield Utd v Chesterfield 4-1 Div 1
2015 Appledore v Plymstock 3-0 SWPL
2016 Newton Abbot Spurs v Appledore 5-0 SWPL

Ciderjon

Junior Team Starter
Saturday 28th March 2015
Seven Sisters 3 Cambrian fc 0
Neath League Open Cup SF
Attn 26 f + n

This was played on the 3G at Llandarcy Academy of Sport. It is the pitch next to where BP Llandarcy used to play in the Welsh League. It was unusual for a plastic pitch to just be inserted in the grass, no cage not even any pitch surrounds. Odd.

Think I went to this as a bad weather day and probably top choices postponed ( can't remember). Seven Sisters was a colliery village towards the top of the valley. They used to play in the Welsh League, and had a famously quirky bridge between pitch and dressing rooms - made out of a shipping container- which doubled as a shed. The village, and colliery were so named as the original mine owner had seven daughters. Cambrian, nothing to do with Cambrian and Clydach, were long term members of the Neath League.

A.G.Ricer

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
VS Rugby
Friday 28th March 1997
Turner's Cross
Cork City 3 Bray Wanderers 1
Programme £1. A double issue also covering the EasterMonday game against Finn Harps

I was living in Cork at the time so a fairly regular visitor to The Cross. I think this was the first full season back there after the disastrous Bishopstown move. The ground was very basic then compared to today. I don't think work on what is now the main stand had started with the only cover being The Shed at the Curragh Road end. The St Anne's end was a vast bank of earth full of rubble and a few rusting frames of old bicycles. How things change.

Jolly Green Giant

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Leatherhead; Crystal Palace
28th March 1992 FA Vase Semi-final 2nd leg
Wimborne Town 2 Bamber Bridge 0 (Wimborne win 2-0 on aggregate) Att: 3,250

Fantastic crowd scenes at Wimborne’s little ground as spectators use every means to try and get a reasonable vantage point. Wooden pallets and bricks are ‘borrowed’ from the neighbouring allotments. Some climb surrounding trees and the clubhouse roof is full. The guy on stilts has an obvious advantage and the Mayor gets a prime seat in the stand. After a goalless fist leg, this decisive encounter is fairly even throughout. The North-West counties side have some fine moments, but Trevor Ames scores in each half for Wimborne to settle it.

28th March 1999 (Nationwide) Football League Division II
Burnley 4 Macclesfield Town 3 Att: 10,500

Turf Moor was all-seater by now, with 2 modern 2-tier stands and 2 older single-tier stands with wooden tip-up seats. £9 gained entry and the programme was £1.80. Burnley were in decline and languishing in the relegation places. Macclesfield, with Sammy McIlroy in charge, had gained back to back promotions to reach this level, but were now propping up the division. Kieran Durkan scores twice for the visitors as Burnley make defensive errors. Glen Little and Tom Cowan haul them level, but they concede again to John Askey. The Lancastrians battle on and complete a remarkable comeback with goals from Andy Payton and in stoppage time, Steve Davis.

28th March 2008 (Coca-Cola) Football League – League I
Doncaster Rovers 1 Nottingham Forest 0 Att: 12,508

‘Donny’ were in their first full season at the Keepmoat Stadium and were going for promotion at the time of this game, 3rd in the table, with Forest 4th. Sean O’Driscoll and Colin Calderwood were the respective managers. The visitors are surprisingly unambitious, despite having a side including Nathan Tyson, Brett Ormerod and Junior Agogo, and ex-Wimbledon keeper Neil Sullivan has little to do. Doncaster play some bright football, with Jason Price standing out, although he does miss a couple of good chances. It falls to full-back Gareth Roberts to get the only score with a quarter of an hour to go.

martin55

Junior Team Regular
I do not often ask why the 2014 game in Regionalliga Nord, BV Cloppenburg v Werder II had a delayed kick off. But if you go to BV Coppenburg on twitter, you will find a picture of a helicopter on the pitch, taking a local patient to a larger nearby hospital. I have only twice seen the air ambulance on the pitch before kick off. The other was on the old ground of Newport IOW at Church Litten

I have also sent by twitter, three pictures from Llanrhaeadr for their match in 2016 prior to seeing Cheltenham lose 2-1 in Wrexham. Cheltenham defeats by the Welsh are responsible for my two highest attendances for the date, with 4463 at Wrexham, just beaten by the 4669 that saw Cheltenham lose at home by 2-1 to Swansea (2005). I have also seen Cheltenham lose at home to Plymouth by 3-0 (3831, 2015) and draw 1-1 at Walsall (4101, 2009). These are the top four crowds of the day.

In the days before Hops were formalised, the South West still could produce multiple fixtures for the bank holiday, so on good Friday 1986, we headed to South Western League games, Millbrook v Torpoint and Clyst Rovers v Truro City, with attendances estimated at 100 and 50. Both finished as 3-3 draws and we headed on to the day's big game - a derby in the Western League between Tiverton Town and Elmore, which attracted 290 at Ladysmead. This game was also a draw, but sadly goalless.

The only attendance I have listed as less than 50, was 20 for Sporting BTC 1-0 Michelmersh & Timsbury in 2007. I would think this was more than 50% hoppers.

Twice in Scotland on the date, visiting Peebles Rovers in 1987 (2-4 v Vale of Leithen, att. 80) and Airdrie United (as they were known in 2003) (2-0 v Berwick Rangers, Att. 1276).

In 1997, I made the last of my six visits to Stadion Menteng, before support f Persija became a big thing in Indonesia. The match against Persiraja drew about 300, with quite a few supporting the visitors. Not that anyone would have travelled the length of Summatra and then into Java to see their team lose 1-0, but that the game gives an opportunity for people from Banda Aceh to meet up
I was also at the Tiverton derby in 1986, having spent the morning at Exmouth Town v Dawlish Town (2-0).

norwich6

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Friday 28th March 1986
Sussex County League Division Three
APV Athletic v Langney Sports @ Jordans London Road Crawley
Kick off 1400 Score 3-1 ht 1-1
No admission charge or programme Attendance about 15

This was not my intended destination on this Good Friday as I
had intended to go to Snakes Lane Woodford for an 1100 kick off
The match at Woodford however was off due to a waterlogged
pitch, which I only found out when I got there ! So decided to go
to APV as not many other options of a new ground.
From recollection some Sussex League matches were played in the morning
and a taxi of other groundhoppers turned up at APV having been to
Franklands Village .

The match itself was a good one with Langney scoring after 6 minutes.
APV levelled after 14 minutes. In the second half APV were on top
taking the lead on 62 minutes before sealing the game with an
87th minute goal.

Saturday 28th March 1987
FA Vase semi final second leg
Emley v St Helens @ Welfare Ground Upper Lane Emley
Score 0-2 after extra time ht 0-0 90 mins 0-1
St Helens won 2-1 on aggregate
Dont have details of admission charge or programme cost
Attendance around 2500
Weather noted we had rain snow and hail during the match

Travelled by train from my in laws at Banbury via Birmingham and
Sheffield to Darton. From there I walked/ran the 6 plus miles to
Emley. I must have been a fit 32 year old then or perhaps I was just
plain stupid !
Emley had won the first leg 1-0 the previous week and almost opened
scoring here after 2 minutes when they had an effort cleared off the
line. After this though St Helens looked the better side but it was not until
80 minutes they took the lead. They should have secured a Wembley place
after 88 minutes but a penalty was saved by the Emley keeper so we
entered extra time. A header after 95 minutes made it 2-0.
However Emley still had a chance to level the aggregate score but they
they missed a 119th minute penalty which was saved by the St Helens
goalkeeper
St Helens went on to beat Warrington 3-2 in the Vase Final

After the match I was given a lift back to Wakefield but there were train
problems between there and Sheffield Luckily I was able to pick up
the Birmingham train at Doncaster but only because it wads 25 minutes late !

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1987 programmes had sold out by the time I arrived at Great Yarmouth. Thirty-three years on it's the longest of long shots but if anyone should have a spare ....

1994 a four-figure crowd seems huge even for a cup final. Interested if anyone else was there and could verify or correct that.

2001 same England away game as Hoddy, but my crowd figure is slightly different.

2010 an unusual Sunday game in Scotland, presumably to avoid Rothesay having to travel midweek.

2012 abandoned due to bad light, a surprise to no one other than the referee who kicked of at 6.40pm and had a lengthy half time break. The result stood in the league records, and in mine.

Today's picture is from my 2010 visit to Staney Brig Park, home of Milngavie Wanderers

1987 Eastern Counties Lge: Great Yarmouth Town 0 Bury Town 4 (att 110)
1990 Hellenic League, Premier Div: Shortwood United 3 Fairford Town 1 (100)
1992 Hellenic League, Premier Div: Swindon Athletic 2 Fairford Town 1 (68)
1994 Leicestershire Senior Cup Final: Ibstock Welfare 2 St Andrews 1 (1,000) at Leics FA Ground, Holmes Park
1995 Kidderminster & District Lge Cup, QF: Highley Welfare 2 Brintons Chainwire 5 (48)
1997 noon Dorset Combination: Blandford United 0 Bournemouth Sports 1 (161)
1997 3pm Dorset Combination: Allendale 0 Gillingham Town 3 (91)
1998 Liverpool Combination, Div 1: Crystal Villa 0 Stockbridge 1 (18)
1999 Welsh League, Div 3: Seven Sisters 1 Newport YMCA 2 (50)
2001 Euro Champs Qual: Albania 1 England 3 (18,000) at Qemal Stafa Stadium, Tirana
2005 Hellenic League, Div 1 West: Quarry Nomads 0 Headington Amateurs 2 (95)
2007 North Lancs & District Lge, Premier Div: Highgrove 2 Torrisholme 1 (20)
2009 11am FL Youth Alliance: Rotherham United U18 1 Boston United U18 0 (33)
2009 2.30pm West Riding County Amateur Lge, Premier Div: Overthorpe SC 0 Golcar United 4 (12)
2010 Caledonian Amateur Lge, Div 1: Milngavie Wanderers 1 Rothesay Brandane 3 (30)
2011 Midlands Regional Alliance, Div 1: Little Eaton 3 Derby Royals 4 (32)
2012 Lancashire Amateur Lge. Div 1: AFC Hindley Juniors 6 Thornleigh 1 (16) abandoned after 77 mins, result stood
2015 10.15am Manchester Sat am Lge, Div 2: Cassidys 4 Baguley Athletic 2 (12)
2015 2pm North Lancs & District Lge, Div 1: Millhead 3 TIC Dynamos of Overton & Middleton 2 (24)
2016 Doncaster FA Challenge Cup QF: South Elmsall United Services 1 Kinsley Boys 4 (27)
2017 Warrington & District Lge, Premier Div: Thatto Heath 3 Vulcan 2 (54)
2018 Sheffield County Senior Lge, Div 2: New Bohemians 1 Boynton Sports 1 (25)

3400.jpg

Last edited:

Cleeve

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
Saturday 28th March 1981
Scottish Premier Division
Hearts 0-4 Dundee United
Attendance: 3776
Scorers: Sturrock 2, Kirkwood 2

My first 'day trip' to Scotland from St Albans. Met a friend in a pub near King's Cross on the Friday evening, then we grabbed some food before boarding the overnight train to Edinburgh. Plenty of pubs at lunchtime including one very near the ground, and then enjoying the football on display from Dundee United: the home supporters stunned into silence. By catching the overnight train back home this counted as a day return ticket and I think I even had an under-26s railcard discount.

Thursday 28th March 1985
Isthmian Division One
St Albans City 2-1 Met Police
Attendance: c150

This was a consolidation season for Saints between promotions which took them from the depths of a year in Division Two back to the Premier - all under the management of ex-Fulham player John Mitchell. This match was one of six league games that Saints played in two weeks, with mixed results. They won this one with goals from George Cooper and a very young Iain Dowie!

Saturday 28th March 1987
FA Vase Semi-final - Second Leg
Collier Row 0-1 Warrington Town
Attendance: c400
Aggregate: 0-3

Friday 28th March 1997
League of Ireland Premier Division
Shelbourne 1-1 St Patrick's Athletic

A weekend based in Dublin, popping up to Belfast on the Saturday for NI 0-0 Portugal in a World Cup Qualifier, and ticking UCD on the Sunday.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
1987 programmes had sold out by the time I arrived at Great Yarmouth. Thirty-three years on it's the longest of long shots but if anyone should have a spare ....

1994 a four-figure crowd seems huge even for a cup final. Interested if anyone else was there and could verify or correct that.

2001 same England away game as Hoddy, but my crowd figure is slightly different.

2010 an unusual Sunday game in Scotland, presumably to avoid Rothesay having to travel midweek.

2012 abandoned due to bad light, a surprise to no one other than the referee who kicked of at 6.40pm and had a lengthy half tie break. The result stood in the league records, and in mine.

Today's picture is from my 2010 visit to Staney Brig Park, home of Milngavie Wanderers

1987 Eastern Counties Lge: Great Yarmouth Town 0 Bury Town 4 (att 110)
1990 Hellenic League, Premier Div: Shortwood United 3 Fairford Town 1 (100)
1992 Hellenic League, Premier Div: Swindon Athletic 2 Fairford Town 1 (68)
1994 Leicestershire Senior Cup Final: Ibstock Welfare 2 St Andrews 1 (1,000) at Leics FA Ground, Holmes Park
1995 Kidderminster & District Lge Cup, QF: Highley Welfare 2 Brintons Chainwire 5 (48)
1997 noon Dorset Combination: Blandford United 0 Bournemouth Sports 1 (161)
1997 3pm Dorset Combination: Allendale 0 Gillingham Town 3 (91)
1998 Liverpool Combination, Div 1: Crystal Villa 0 Stockbridge 1 (18)
1999 Welsh League, Div 3: Seven Sisters 1 Newport YMCA 2 (50)
2001 Euro Champs Qual: Albania 1 England 3 (18,000) at Qemal Stafa Stadium, Tirana
2005 Hellenic League, Div 1 West: Quarry Nomads 0 Headington Amateurs 2 (95)
2007 North Lancs & District Lge, Premier Div: Highgrove 2 Torrisholme 1 (20)
2009 11am FL Youth Alliance: Rotherham United U18 1 Boston United U18 0 (33)
2009 2.30pm West Riding County Amateur Lge, Premier Div: Overthorpe SC 0 Golcar United 4 (12)
2010 Caledonian Amateur Lge, Div 1: Milngavie Wanderers 1 Rothesay Brandane 3 (30)
2011 Midlands Regional Alliance, Div 1: Little Eaton 3 Derby Royals 4 (32)
2012 Lancashire Amateur Lge. Div 1: AFC Hindley Juniors 6 Thornleigh 1 (16) abandoned after 77 mins, result stood
2015 10.15am Manchester Sat am Lge, Div 2: Cassidys 4 Baguley Athletic 2 (12)
2015 2pm North Lancs & District Lge, Div 1: Millhead 3 TIC Dynamos of Overton & Middleton 2 (24)
2016 Doncaster FA Challenge Cup QF: South Elmsall United Services 1 Kinsley Boys 4 (27)
2017 Warrington & District Lge, Premier Div: Thatto Heath 3 Vulcan 2 (54)
2018 Sheffield County Senior Lge, Div 2: New Bohemians 1 Boynton Sports 1 (25)

View attachment 443
Yes I have 18,000 down as well but like Scotland games I don't like figures too rounded unless 36-24-36.
17,500 from the brilliant englandfootball.online.com
Sounds better than 18,000 😄

Warwickian

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Back in time to Good Friday 28th March 1975
Coventry City 2 Sheffield United 2
Football League.Division One

I noticed that Hoddy was also at this game.Unlike him this was the only game I attended that day.I was a long haired teenager still at school and only went to watch Coventry at home or AP Leamington at home in those days.
This match was a 7.30 kick off and Sheffield United were well up in the table whilst Coventry were probably about 14th which was the usual position in the mid-70s!
The Blades took the lead through Mick Speight early in the second half before The Sky Blues equalised through John Craven.They then took the lead thanks to a David Cross goal.Alan Woodward rescued a point for Sheffield in the last minute.
I think I would probably have stood at the Spion Kop end of the ground for this match.This was the open end of the Highfield Road ground but a better view than the West End.Attendance of 18,857.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Monday March 28th 1988

Scottish Cup Quarter Final Second Replay

Dundee v Dundee United, 0-3, H.T. 0-1, Att 19,152

At Dens Park

I did like the idea of Second Replays but fully understand why they are no longer viable on the football calendar. In Scotland clubs had the option of tossing a coin for home advantage, or opting for a neutral ground – if either club wanted the latter then a neutral ground it was. I don’t suppose there would have been much debate about what to do when this Dundee derby went to a third game and it was the Dens Park side who got home advantage.

The original tie had been a goalless draw at Dens Park attended by a crowd of 19,355. The replay at Tannadice was 2-2 after extra time in front of 17,055. I don’t recall the third game being all-ticket but I expect it was. My stance was in the Provost Road End of Dens Park which, in those days, was a huge bank with an area of cover towards the rear. That end, and the Derry Shed on the far side from the main stand were for home fans. United had the smaller TC Keay End closer to Tannadice and the large enclosure in front of the main stand.

Jim Mclean’s United were too good for Dundee on the night. Everything seemed to click for them and they swept into the Semi Finals. Team lines were:

Dundee: Bobby Geddes, Stuart Forsyth, Vince Mennie, Rab Shannon (Sub Graham Harvey), Jim Smith, Wes Saunders, Alan Lawrence, Stuart Rafferty, Keith Wright, Tommy Coyne, Ian Angus.

United: Billy Thomson, Davie Bowman, Maurice Malpas, Jim McInally, Paul Hegarty, Davie Narey, Eamonn Bannon, Kevin Gallacher, Mixu Paataleinen (Sub Ian Ferguson), Joe McLeod (Sub John Clark), Ian Redford.

It was a brutal game with no quarter given or expected. Referee Jim McCluskey handled it sensibly and managed to keep 22 players on the park until the last minute. At that point he had little option but to send off Dundee’s Stuart Rafferty. The midfielder had felled Kevin Gallacher with a late tackle then swung a boot at the United man’s head as he lay on the ground. All hell broke loose – more coshes and baseball bats than handbags on this occasion. The game was done by that stage. United led around the half hour mark. Surprise pick Joe McLeod was the scorer – the diminutive winger scoring at the back post from a Gallacher cross. McLeod was the architect of the second goal in the 75th minute. He went on a mazy and was cemented by the aforementioned Rafferty in the box. The late Ian Redford scored the penalty. Subbie Iain ferbuson concluded the scoring late on with a crisp 18 yarder.

So United went through to a Semi Final against Aberdeen. This also went to three games before United held sway. They lost 2-1 to Celtic in the Final at Hampden, having played 9 Scottish Cup games that season.

I would have driven up to this after work - a familiar routine with so many big midweek European and Cup clashes to see in Dundee around this time.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Seems it's the weekend, I'll bite the bullet and post in this section, although I might feel inadequate compared to some of our most esteemed parishioners;

1981 Blades 2 Millwall 3 L3
1985 Frickley 1 Worksop 3 Senior Cup Final @ Millmoor
1986 Evenwood 1 West Auckland 0 NL1
1986 Tow Law 4 Crook Town 2 NL2
Good Friday double header
1987 Blades 2 Bradford City 2 L2
1990 Oldham 0 Blades 2 L2
1992 Blades 2 Liverpool 0 L1
1998 Wembley 1 Berkhamstead Town 0 Ryman 1
2005 Pelican 0 Dunkirk 2 CML Supreme
2009 Loughborough Dynamo 0 Stocksbridge PS 2 NPL 1 South Att 130
2010 Blades 0 Scunthorpe 1 L1
2011 Ryburn United 2 Greetland 3 Halifax & District Premier Att 12
2012 Blades 4 Chesterfield 1 L1
2015 Lye Town 0 Rocester 0 Midland Premier Att 94
2016 Billingham Synthonia 2 Billingham Town 2 NL2 Att 314
2016 Stockton Town 1 Cleater Moor Celtic 0 Monkwearmouth Charity Cup Final
Easter Monday Double header

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks