March 23rd

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Lets open this up a bit shall we. Doesn't have to be football, can be any sport.

Indeed doesn't even have to be sport.. what about a gig you went to?. Or something memorable that happened on this day that you feel comfortable to share that may be completely random.

All over to you guys again.....

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Football League D3
Burnley 1 AFC Bournemouth 1
Att: 2655
Times change!

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Six matches recorded by me for 23rd March, but none of them were particularly memorable. So I'll pick on...

Tuesday 23rd March 2010 ~
Hellenic Premier
Reading Town 0-1 Flackwell Heath
(match abandoned after 86mins: score stands)

...which was an evening that just about summed up Reading Town FC's disintegration that season on the pitch, and perhaps even went some way towards their slow demise off it over the next few years.

For most of the 2009~2010 season, Reading Town had been the run-away leaders of the Hellenic, and at one point had built up a buffer of fifteen points over second-placed Almondsbury Town. However, from early March that lead was slowly eaten away, with points continually dropped while Almondsbury began to catch up. By the time Flackwell Heath - always a very useful side with very much an overtly physical aspect to their play - arrived at Scours Lane for this midweek match, Reading Town were still top but in very jittery poor form as they stumbled towards the finishing line.

Once underway, Flackwell took an early lead but then had a player sent off. However, Reading failed to capitalise, and as an increasingly bad-tempered match drew to its close, a crunching tackle in the 86th minute left a Flackwell player writhing on the ground with a broken leg, Reading's no.4 sent off, and plenty of the other players squaring up to each other. With a ambulance called and an oxygen mask clamped onto the face of the injured played, things descended into farce - the young and put-upon referee decided to abandon the match, which led to the Flackwell manager subjecting him to a torrent of abuse. Then a senior Hellenic committee member climbed onto the pitch and shoved a mobile phone into the ref's face, having called Hellenic secretary Brian King who was at home with his feet up in an attempt to get the match restarted. As it was, the paramedics in the ambulance made the decision - the injury was so bad that it took them nearly an hour to get the Flackwell lad onto a stretcher. However, with all sympathy for the referee, this was not a proud night for anyone else concerned.

After that, Reading Town's hopes totally imploded and they ended up finishing third, behind champions Almondsbury Town and second placed Shortwood United. Even the consolation of reaching the Floodlit Cup Final was an anticlimax, with a 3-0 victory in the first-leg over Shortwood collapsing under a 0-5 defeat in the second-leg. Manager Colin Millard resigned at the end of the season, and Reading Town were never to come this close again - over the following seasons they paddled around in midtable until being relegated in 2015 to the Step6 Hellenic East. With their owners the TUC wanting an asking price of £40,000 for a football club nobody wanted to buy, Reading Town folded halfway through the 2015~16 season.

Other matches attended on 23rd March...

Saturday 23rd March 1985 ~ Portsmouth 0-0 Cardiff City
Friday 23rd March 1990 ~ Swansea City 0-1 Bury
Sunday 23rd March 2014 ~ Worcester City 2-0 Vauxhall Motors
Wednesday 23rd March 2016 ~ Petersfield Town 1-0 Northwood
Saturday 23rd March 2019 ~ Kempston Rovers 3-0 Aylesbury

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I'lll do a list again this time. Please mention any errors to me , Ta.

62. Sat. Crewe 1 v 1 Torquay. 6,647.
68. Sat. Crewe 1 v 1 Newport. 5,488.
70. Mon. Port Vale 1 v 2 Scunthorpe. 6,394.
71. Tues. Wolves 4 v 0 Derry. 15,784.
74. Sat. Peterborough 2 v 2 Bury. 8,145.
76. Tues. England 3 v 1 Hungary. 33,410.
77. Wed. Crewe 2 v 0 Newport. 2,110.
80. Sunday. Chatteris 3 v 4 Tiptree. 110.
82. Tues. Crewe 1 v 0 Hereford. 1,326.
84. Friday. Crewe 1 v 1 Reading. 2,435.
85. Sat. Swanage 6 v 3 Westbury. 28.
86. Sunday. Pontardarwe 2 v 4 Abergavenny. 76.
88. Wed. Southern Olympian 2 v 1 OBL. 32.
90. Friday. Winsford 1 v 4 Irlam. 200.
91. Friday. Sachsen Leipzig 2 v 2 RW Erfurt.3,100.
93. Tues. Crewe 3 v 1 York. 3,381.
94. Wed. Hanford 2 v 4 Redgate Clayton. 48.
96. Sat. Crewe 1 v 2 Bradford City. 3,877.
97. Sunday. Snaaskerke 5 v 2 Daring Brugge. 75.
99. Tues. Chisholms 0 v 1 N Ferriby. 90.
2002. Sat. CF Maia 2 v 0 Penafiel. 300.
03. Sunday. Hedera Millen 3 v 1 Bree. 1,000.
04. Tues. Crewe 2 v 0 Stoke. 10,014.
13. Sat,. Seaton Carew 2 v 0 Peterlee. 75.
14. Sun. Echter 1 v 1 HBS. 400.
16. Wed. RUS Givry 1 v 0 Waremme. 150.
18. Friday. TUS Meyen 1 v 1 Emmelshausen. 211.
19. Sat. 14-30. VVOG 2 V 2 De Dijk.
+ 19-30. FC Oppurs 0 v 0 Kontich. 125.

Special mention must go to 2004 and our local derby against our big :ROFLMAO: neighbours Stoke.

What an absolute joy to rub their smug noses in the shite.

Crewe were scrapping for points to avoid relegation and were going through a decent spell with the last 6 games resulting in 3 wins and 2 draws. This win obviously helped even more. Kenny Lunt now our assistant manager had a shot deflected for the first goal ( he still claims it even though it was heading for the corner flag) but then on 61 mins he hit a screamer - https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kenny+lunt+crewe+v+stoke&view=detail&mid=7BB93F4E7156D5A31D157BB93F4E7156D5A31D15&FORM=VIRE

Crewe team that evening was, Ben Williams, Billy Jones, Chris McReady, Steve Foster, Kenny Lunt, Justin Cochrane, Steve Jones, Neil Sorvel, Dean Ashton, Craig Hignett & David Vaughan.

Subs. Adie Moses. GK Stuart Tomlinson, James Robinson, Michael Higdon & Eamon Zayed.

Manager. Dario.

Interesting bench in that one of them was later to become ''PFA Scotland Players Player of the Year'' for season 2012/13 and one was to become Hugo Knox - - Image result for stuart tomlinson wrestler

Last edited:

agamemnon3

Junior Team Regular
Monday, March 23rd 1981. FA Trophy 4th round replay.
Aylesbury United v Sutton United p-p. Att: 1 (me).

Back in prehistoric times, on wet days, a certain ritual had to be performed. This involved public telephone boxes, piles of two-pence-pieces, and half-baked Club Secretaries. 'Yes, it's fine, no problem at all', said the cheerful voice in Aylesbury. I was living in Notting Hill at the time, and I don't drive, so some three hours later, after a bus, a tube, a train, and a walk, I arrived to find the Turnfurlong Lane ground in complete darkness. The Club Secretary may well have thought one thing, but the match referee clearly thought another. Ho-hum...

Tuesday, March 23rd 1982. Southern League South Division.
Crawley Town v Basingstoke Town 1-0 (0-0). Att: 212.

My only visit to Town Mead, a warm, homely, ramshackle sort of place, with friendly ancients bustling about taking care of everything, and nothing whatsoever to suggest that within thirty years this could possibly be a Football League Club. I can remember nothing of the game, but my notebook from the time has the single word 'yawn'.

Also worth a mention (just):
Sunday, March 23rd 1986. Rugby League Division Two.
Mansfield Marksman v Workington Town 18-42 (14-20). Att: 165.

I wouldn't throw this in except that this game took place at North Street, the magnificent home of Alfreton Town FC. Cover on all four sides, hills in the distance, welcoming and knowledgeable locals who didn't seem to mind that 'their' team got hammered week after week, and bright red crush barriers --- come on now, what's not to like ?

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Monday 23rd March 1998
Burscough 2 St Helens Town 1 (after extra time, HT 0-0, 90mins 1-1)
NWCL Floodlit Trophy, Final @ White Moss Park, Skelmersdale (7.30)
Attendance 400
Programme 24pp (issued by the NWCL, price n/k)

Having ‘ticked’ Skelmersdale United’s new ground, JMO Sports Park, as recently as March 7, I find this a pleasing little coincidence. United’s White Moss Park was the North West Counties League management committee’s selection to host the final of its eighth annual Floodlit Trophy. Skem also staged the 1993-94 showpiece, won by Bootle. In what year was the competition abandoned?

Burscough lifted the trophy (a shield, actually) after overcoming brave resistance from a St Helens Town side reduced to 10 by the 68th-minute dismissal, for a second cautionable offence, of Gary Dooner. Gary Anderson hit the winner in the 103rd minute. With better finishing, Burscough, managed by John Davison, would have won in normal time, though St Helens struck the crossbar when they led 1-0.

Paul Blasbery, skipper Ged Nolan (facing one of his former clubs), Robbie Cowley and Andy Howard featured in the Burscough side, with St Helens including former Chesterfield keeper Mike Allison, Gary Lowe (ex-Bury and Crewe Alex), Ste Pennington and former Burscough man Paul Gwyther. Defender Brian Holmes, in the Burscough line-up, had previously turned out for Skelmersdale.

Skelmersdale United had played Northern Premier League football up to the mid-Seventies, and White Moss Park’s facilities reflected the club’s earlier status. I have a vague recollection of watching from a grassy bank, opposite the large main (only?) stand. The Skem stalwart to whom I got chatting on March 7 at the JMO told me houses now cover the site of White Moss Park, abandoned in 2002.

Quietly impressive programme put together by the NWCL. The welcome, penned by (or on behalf of) league chairman J.E. Hinchliffe, begins: On behalf of the management committee… Love it! Plenty of information included about both clubs. At this distance, the pen pictures make interesting reading. Clearly, the bulk of the players involved spent their careers shuffling from club to club in this then geographically fairly limited league. A handful had started out at either Everton or Liverpool.

One other from this date worth a mention:

Pickering Town 0 Rowntree Mackintosh 3 (1993, North Riding Senior Cup, Quarter-Final, Replay). If memory serves, my then-girlfriend and I had recently bought a house in the pretty ‘Captain Cook Village’ of Great Ayton, handy for the North York Moors National Park. Still say ‘Canny Yatton’ is the best place I’ve lived, and I boast a very long list of previous addresses. In the days when I used to buy pin badges regularly from Toby Jackson, he once responded to yet another change-of-address alert with the comment: “I wish the Wealdstone defence moved as often as you do.”

Relocation to Ayton brought the Recreation Ground within easy reach, via a scenic drive through Bilsdale and the Vale of Pickering, for a Tuesday evening ‘tick’. I mention this replay (required after a 1-1 draw in the first meeting at York) only because the referee found it necessary to send off Pikes’ Craig Salt, in the 85th minute, and show 10 yellow cards. It wasn’t, by any means, a dirty game. As the spectators in a 160-strong crowd drifted away at the final whistle, I overheard numerous dark mutterings to the effect ‘that useless bugger will never make it as a ref’. His name? Jeff Winter.

Other sports:

Swinton Lions 14 Workington Town 12 (1997, RFL Championship). An unhappy time for Swinton, when the pain involved in losing (well, selling off to meet debts) Station Road was still fairly raw. One never got the impression rugby league was welcome at Bury FC's Gigg Lane. Lions withstood a determined late assault from Workington in a basement battle between teams without a victory. Little to commend a contest brimming with handling errors and scrappy play. Town's Australian coach Ross O'Reilly resigned after this defeat. The official attendance was 1,274.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dr Love

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Halifax Town

Farnborough North End 0-4 Poole Town
Wessex League Cup

A fairly comfortable away win, as the 1st division hosts failed to provide too much of a challenge to their premier division visitors. If I remember correctly (and it certainly was for a FNE game), the most notable thing about this game is that it wasn't the game I'd originally intended to head out to on leaving my flat, opting en route for this over Badshot Lea v Dorking. That finished 6-5 after being 1-5 with about twenty minutes to play. I've still never seen that scoreline nor a side coming back from more than three goals down.

rambler77

Junior Team Star
1999: Northampton Spencer v Ford Sports Daventry (1-1) United Counties League Premier Division
2002: Oadby Town v Quorn (1-0) Midland Football Alliance
2013: Barnet v Cheltenham Town (0-0) Football League 2
2014: Whitwick Three Crowns v Long Whatton (1-1) Charnwood Sunday League Division 1
2019: Soham Town Rangers v Canvey Island (1-0) Isthmian League North

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Tuesday March 23rd 1982
Friendly International
Scotland v Netherlands, 2-1, H.T.2-1, Att 71848
At Hampden Park

Having qualified for the 1982 World Cup in Spain, enthusiasm for the national team was at a high. The Netherlands had surprisingly failed to qualify but still presented a stiff challenge for the Scots. Manager Jock Stein used this game as a last chance to try out some players who were on the fringes of international football to see whether they would make the final 22 man squad. The forthcoming Home International Championship would be used to prepare the final squad for the World Cup itself.

Scotland lined up as follows: Allan Rough, Danny McGrain, Frankie Gray, Allan Evans, Davie Narey, Willie Miller, John Wark, Jim Bett, Joe Jordan, Kenny Dalglish and Stevie Archibald. Subs used were Alan Brazil, Tommy Burns and Gordon Strachan.

Allan Evans and Jim Bett won their first caps that night. Evans won just 4 in total with Bett playing 25 times for Scotland.

The Dutch side was Hans Van Breukelen, Michael Van der Korput, Ruud Krol, Ronald Spelbos, Hugo Hovenkamp, Jan Peters, Johnny Metgod, Frank Rijkaard, Arnold Muhren, Wim Kieft and Simon Tahamata. Ruud Gullit was amongst the subs – this must have been one of the very early international call-ups for him and Rijkaard. I also recall Willy Van der Kerkhof as one of the subs. England’s George Courtney was the ref.

Scotland took an early lead through a Frankie Gray penalty after Spelbos had needlessly handled a Jim Bett cross under pressure from Joe Jordan. Gray took the spot kick in the absence of John Robertson of Forest who was injured at the time. Scotland’s second in 22 minutes was a gem and I can vividly remember it. An Archibald shot was beaten out wide by Van Breukelen. Kenny Dalglish collected the ball, played a one-two with Joe Jordan, then hammered it home. The Netherlands got back into the game with a Kieft header on the half hour mark.

There was no further scoring but I recall a raucous atmosphere with over 70,000 in Hampden. I would have been in the “Celtic End” – the huge terrace at the East End of the ground which had once had a measured capacity of over 60,000. Most people had a regular spot to stand at internationals and you frequently bumped into the same people at different matches. This was one of the last really big occasions at Hampden in its traditional form with the old North Stand still in situ over the terracing opposite the main stand.

I suspect that I got the train through from Edinburgh and would have walked from the city centre to the ground and back along Aitkenhead Road and through the Gorbals. This was usually quicker than queuing for trains at Mount Florida to get back into town. The “catering” at Hampden in those days was legendary for its poor quality. There were pie stalls down at ground level inside the turnstiles but at busy games such as this, once on the terracing it was virtually impossible to exit down there. Guys stood with cardboard boxes full of filled rolls – “Erzi Cheese an’ ae Meat Rolls Lads”. Others dispensed “Spearmint an’ Macaroon Bars”. The bottom of their boxes would frequently be sodden with urine running out of the adjacent primitive urinals but we didn’t care. Routine was to buy a couple, stuff them in the pockets, and consume later. By 1982 it was more difficult to consume drink in the ground – legislation introduced in January 1981 banned alcohol from football grounds in Scotland in the wake of the 1980 Cup Final riot.

The programme cost 60p and was the usual hotch-potch of articles contributed by journalists. Somewhat disrespectfully the cover referred to the opponents as Holland, which is the sort of lazy journalism that really does my head in. The centre pages featured that goal, scored by Archie Gemmill against the Netherlands in Cordoba in 1978.

The adverts summed up Scotland’s healthy lifestyle The back page was given over to Rothmans King Size. The inside back page was a colour spead of the various Tennent Caledonian products – including Breaker Malt Liquor, Charger Lager, Tennents Super Lager, Lamot Pils and the utterly vile Barbican and Hemeling alcohol-free brews. Embassy Regal and The Famous Grouse also merited full pages. According to the Ian Skelly Car Dealership advert Kenny Dalglish drove a VW Scirocco GTI.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Tuesday March 23rd 1982
Friendly International
Scotland v Netherlands, 2-1, H.T.2-1, Att 71848
At Hampden Park

The programme cost 60p ... The centre pages featured that goal, scored by Archie Gemmill against the Netherlands in Cordoba in 1978.
Scotland 78: A Love Story has resurfaced on iplayer. A great watch.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Today's Tweets contains a linked series showing pictures from Armenia Bielefeld 1-3 Energie Cottbus (11474, 2014); Minyor Pernik 0-3 Belasitza Petrich (2400, 2009) and FSV Mainz 05 1-1 TSG Hoffenheim (20,300, 2008)

Despite the win, Belasitza Petrich would finish bottom of the A division in Bulgaria and with an administrative relegation added, they left professional football and have not returned.

Some interesting stuff in England on this date, with two Constantinople Cup games (the Inter Services Championship). In 1983 the Navy and the Army shared the points with a 1-1 draw at Burnaby Road. This is not the ground now used by US Portsmouth, but across the road. I think it is now used for Rugby and I think I have seen cricket there as well. In 1988, I was at RAF Uxbridge to see the RAF lose 4-0 to the Army. For the paper boys, programmes were issued for both. As a kid, I would march to RAF Uxbridge for the rememberence day services with the Boy Scouts, but also play on the site as one of my school friends lived in forces accomodation there. In 1988, security meant you had to sign in at the gate. In the 1970s, a public footpath ran through the site!

In 1991, I flew on an Aurigny Airways' Trislander to Alderney, with a few other hoppers for Alderney 1-4 Jersey. One can easily walk from one end of Alderney to the other, and we did! Most cars on the island were bedecked in colours, and although only around 250 were at the game, you had the impression the whole island would have arrived by the final whistle if there was a chance of a home win. As it was, Alderney were 2-0 down before Andy Wright scored their goal, with Jersey adding another two later.

In 2006, I took Chris Coote to an FA Cup game, which remains my most recent visit to the Valley. If I remember correctly, I wanted to see this as I had never seen a Sixth round match in the FA Cup, but had already seen matches in every other round, (even if my only semi-final was a replay). For that matter, I have seen replays in most rounds but not the Sixth (and that is not going to change soon). The game finished 0-0, but many people spotted me on TV as the wheelchair spot we had for Chris was at pitch level, between the dug outs. My memory of the game was that someone from the broadcaster would rush to the fourth official as the subsitution card was handed to him, so as the commentator could make an informed "guess" on the change about to take place.

My two Cheltenham games on the date were drawn, 1-1 at home to Rochdale (2002) and 0-0 at Barnet (2013). My records record that I got programmes for all games seen on the date, except Minyor Pernik and Kedah v Kelantan in the Malaysian League (1996). I have recored the attendances for all except the first in the list, Bognor Regis v Walton & Hersham (1-2, 1982).

The five figure crowds, some appear to be approximation (probably from press reports) were Eintracht Frankfurt 0-3 Bayer Leverkusen (35,000 1990), Charlton Athletic (24,187), FSV Mainz (20,300), Kedah (18,000) and Bielefeld (11,474). At the Frankfurt game, the scoreboard announced the award of yellow and red cards by showing a picture of a chimpanzee brandishing the card, (and the name of the offending player).

On the low side, I have recorded 20 for Willesden (Hawkeye) v Croydon Athletic (3-1) for a London Spartan League game at the Linford Christie Stadium in 1994, 43 (very low for them at the time) for a Hampshire League game between AFC Totton and Moneyfields (3-1, 1983) and just 50 when first visiting the Don Valley, (my other two visits got over 3000). The result was Sheffield 1-1 Belper Town (1992)

norwich6

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Tuesday 23rd March 1993
Barclays League Division 3
Gillingham 3 Lincoln City 1 ht 0-0 Attendance 2906 Kick off 1945
Admission £6 terrace Programme £1
This was an important match for both sides Gills were only one place off the
bottom with just Northampton below them, Whilst Lincoln were in 5th place chasing
an automatic or play off place.

My notes say that Scot Barrett the Gills keeper made two good saves in
the first half. But once Richard Green opened the scoring in the 57th minute
Gills were well on top. Nicky Forster scored in the 83rd and 86th minutes
before Lincolns consolation came in the 90th minute.

Gillingham went on to finish the season in 21st place above
Halifax who were relgated to the Conference. Lincoln finished 8th just missing out
to Bury for a play off place on goal difference.

The vulture

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Screwfix Premier Division @ The CONIGRE.
Melksham Town 0 Taunton Town 3.
Att 350
(real or my estimate?).

Apart from finding a gem of a ground just a few miles from home, I remember the day for this being a late divert to.

A car load of us were heading for Smithsfield, in its final season, for the game against Chippenham. Someone in the car received a call from a player advising that it was off and we re-routed to this fixture.

Taunton were one up at HT and won comfortably, but for me it was the first of many visits to this wonderful ground including many Monday nights as they were one of a few teams to play on Mondays.

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
23 March 1991
Barclays League Division One
Sunderland 1-3 Aston Villa
Att: 21099

Although we did attend a handful of games together after the move to the Stadium of Light, I'm pretty sure that this was the last time I went to Roker with my Dad. I'd moved to London the previous year, was working most weekends, and going to the match had become something I did with mates instead of my Dad.

Villa, after finishing runners up the previous season under Graham Taylor were struggling under new manager Jozef Venglos. eventually finishing 4th from bottom. Sunderland were 2nd bottom, a position they would remain in for the rest of the season

As always, we stood in the Roker End. Tony Cascarino, who seemed to save up all his goals for playing against us, put Villa 2 up, Peter Davenport pulled one back before a David Platt penalty sealed the win.

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Saturday 23 March 2013

Arlingham 1 Ramblers 3rds 5 (Stroud & District League Division 4) Att: 3 h/c (Ciderjon, Cidersam and me) f&n

Shocking weather day, and games were off almost everywhere, however one little bit of Gloucestershire seemed to have its own micro-climate. After much searching, a late call from Rhyd informed me that Frampton United was on, and I would have been happy with a revisit to the Bell Field. Further research revealed Arlingham were at home 3 miles down the road, kick off time half an hour earlier. A quick phone call to Ciderjon, a hasty dash down the M5 and arrival at The Grove brought the news that the game as on - one of just three to survive in the Stroud League that day. Ramblers got underway with a fine own goal and were four up by half time but the home side were much better in the second half, despite playing with ten men after the most inevitable red card I've ever seen: home No 10 appeared to be trying to get sent off from the 5th minute onwards. Fair result and played in very good spirit other than the aforementioned No 10; the referee was also very impressive.

The Grove felt like a proper ground, being walled on two sides and with a hedge planted on a third. Splendid views of the nearby church and the distant snow covered Forest of Dean made up for the ridiculous temperature. Very pleased to get a new ground in so close to home on such a dreadful day. Sadly, Arlingham's last season in the Stroud League was in 2015-16. I doubt if the ground has been used since. Very glad we went when we did.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Regular
Saturday 23 March 2019

Southern Combination Premier

Lingfield 1 Chichester City 3

Lingfield is a curious ground in that they share with the cricket club and have a portable floodlight which is put up for matches to enable this share to happen. CC were the league leaders at the time of this match and went on to be champions. It was easy to see why. Some good players of course but they were a very robust side and received 4 bookings in this match for their troubles.

Lingfield took the lead on 14 and still led at half time. In the second half a different City side came out, no doubt after a hairdryer. They were level on 48 and never looked back.

Attendance was around 60 on a mild but overcast afternoon. £5 entry included a programme.

Kingsmere

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
Monday, March 23rd 1981. FA Trophy 4th round replay.
Aylesbury United v Sutton United p-p. Att: 1 (me).

Back in prehistoric times, on wet days, a certain ritual had to be performed. This involved public telephone boxes, piles of two-pence-pieces, and half-baked Club Secretaries. 'Yes, it's fine, no problem at all', said the cheerful voice in Aylesbury. I was living in Notting Hill at the time, and I don't drive, so some three hours later, after a bus, a tube, a train, and a walk, I arrived to find the Turnfurlong Lane ground in complete darkness. The Club Secretary may well have thought one thing, but the match referee clearly thought another. Ho-hum...
I was there that night along with quite a few others, in the clubhouse. They were even selling programmes, then suddenly the game was off.

huttonpark

Junior Team Starter
Saturday March 23 1985
London Spartan League Premier Division
Collier Row v Northwood
Programme - Yes, but no price on it and I certainly can't remember.

I also don't remember the score and did not record it. Maybe someone can tell me. At the time this was a clash of sides near the top of the table and I think that Cllier Row finished runners up that season.

The Willows

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Quite an uninspiring set for this day, so have plumped for my only visit to St Georges Lane.
Friday 23rd March 2001
Worcester City 2 Cambridge City 0
Don't remember much from the game but enjoyed the ground especially the plaque, where Worcester City legend Harry Knowles ran head first into the wall behind one goal.

stingray

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
102. 23/03/03 - Barnet 0-0 Telford United
532. 23/03/10 - Biggleswade Town 1-4 Leighton Town (County Cup SF)
619. 23/03/11 - Aylesbury United 2-0 Langford (at la ferme du cloche)
1083. 23/03/16 - Crawley Green 2-1 Risborough Rangers
1287. 23/03/19 - Crawley Green 1-2 Edgware Town

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks