March 22nd...

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
How many PMs have you had so far?! Got a few SFL crowd queries myself, from the 80s and 90s. :)

Enjoyed your Muirton Park piece. Sadly, one of the very few older SFL grounds I missed.
I have opened a thread in the Other British Football section - post any requests there and I will answer them as soon as I can.

rambler77

Junior Team Regular
2003: Oadby Town v Brigg Town (0-2) FA Vase Semi Final 1st Leg
2005: Oadby Town v Leicester City XI (2-1) Leicestershire & Rutland FA Challenge Cup Semi Final (@ Holmes Park)
2008: Leicester City v Hull City (0-2) Football League Championship
2014: Oadby Town v Rushden & Higham United (2-2) United Counties League Division 1
2015: Syston Rangers v Everlast Roofing (4-3) Leicester Sunday League Invitation Cup Group B
2015: Gedling Town Ladies v Notts County Ladies Development (1-4) East Midlands Regional Womens League Premier Division
2019: Birstall Stamford v Oadby Athletic (6-1) Leicestershire & Rutland FA Sunday Premier Cup Final (@ Holmes Park)

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
2015 Johnstones Paint Final

Bristol City 2 v Walsall 0

Great day out for the Saddlers despite the result.......never seen so many packed lunches at a game.
Also at this one after a Walsall supporting mate ended up with a spare ticket. The ticket wasn't a present even though today is actually my birthday

Also seen a couple of good Hailsham wins on this date
1997 Hailsham Town 6 Arundel 2 Sussex County League D1 Att: 178
2016 Shoreham 0 Hailsham Town 4 Southern Combination Premier Att: 57

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Also at this one after a Walsall supporting mate ended up with a spare ticket. The ticket wasn't a present even though today is actually my birthday
Image result for happy birthday moving emojis

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
22 March 1997:

Cinderford Town 0 Weymouth 5 (Southern League Division 1 South) Att: 224 Programme: 70p.

First ever trip to the Forest for me, 10th Gloucestershire tick, and what good fun it was. I saw a fair bit of Weymouth during the late nineties, ticking many new Southern League grounds when they provided the opposition. As far as I can recall, this was as one sided as it sounds, with the excellent David Laws bagging a hat trick, with the others coming from Lee Bradford and Andy Mason. Other good players from that side included Martin Shepherd, Alex Browne and Ian Hutchinson. Gloucestershire legend Andy Hoskins played up front for the Foresters.

Best of all was the ground, which was in a timewarp than and almost certainly still is - not been for a few years. Until relatively recently, the Beazer Homes League sign was still in evidence at the far end.... I've had many enjoyable revisits to the Causeway Ground; my favourite moment was being asked if I wanted milk in my Bovril. Still not sure if he was joking...

The vulture

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Premier League @ Roker Park : Sunderland 1 Nottingham Forest 1.
Att : 22,120

Whilst Tim was living it large near the forest I was at the other end of the country for my one and only trip to Roker Park.
I went to this with a former work colleague from Hong Kong, a Lincoln fan, I think it the only time we went to a game together (I know). Strangely at the game I do not recall his company at all (a you go ahead and I'll find you later?).
Remember little of the game my records say it was nils at HT and the scorers were Ball and Lyttle, so I assume Kevin and Des...so I assume a couple of scrappy efforts.

In my attempt to complete the 92 this was ground number 80, I finally completed the 92 for the 1st time in Sunderland at the Stadium of Light in 2015 by which time my League ground total was actually 147.

Not sure if I experienced the famous Roker roar....as the teams came out the munter next to me just started making a noise, not singing not chanting just a noise. Was that the Roker roar or had the nurses just let him out for the afternoon to get a bit of peace?

norwich6

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 22nd March 1986
Eastern Counties League
Sudbury Town v Bury Town @ Priory Stadium Sudbury
Score 5-0 ht 3-0 Programme issued Did not record cost or admission charge
Attendance 250 approx. Weather Cloudy and pitch muddy in places !
My notes say Sudbury played brilliantly and by half time had sealed the match
and looked like they would win the league which they did in due course

Think I am in right in saying they merged with Sudbury Wanderers in 1999
and that the Priory Stadium lay derelict for 8 or 9 years as there was an issue
with Planning Permission before houses eventually were built on the site.

Tuesday 22nd March 2005
Speedway Arena Essex v Poole Elite League
Admission £13 Programme £2
Score 61 -30
I have no idea why this was on a Tuesday but assume it was for Sky sports
Poole were favourites for the title having won the league in 2003 and 2004
Top scorers for Arena Gary Havelock 12 (had forgotten he rode for Arena)
David Norris 11 (guest not sure for who ?) and Leigh Lanham 10
Poole Bjarne Pederson 10 Kasper Kasperszak 7
Despite this thumping win Arena finished bottom of the league at the end of the
season , Belle Vue finished top of the table but lost to Coventry in the play off final

Sunday 22nd March 2015
Was also at the Dalbeattie Star and Threave matches mentioned above
After the game we went for a meal in the Dumfries Wetherspoons then with
Kent43 driving we drove to Carlisle and stayed the Sunday night in a Premier Inn.
Unfortunately we first went to the wrong Premier Inn in Carlisle and they had no
trace of our booking !

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
2014 (Saturday)
East of Scotland League, Division One
Duns 0 Burntisland Shipyard 2 (att 37)

Looking back, 22 March hasn't been a day for many particularly memorable visits, but I picked this one from the archives as the club's recent spell as a senior club proved short-lived.

Duns were playing at Berwickshire High School at the time, having left their old ground when they joined the senior ranks. The venue was a stopgap pending their opening of their new home, which followed the next season. A couple of years later and they were back in amateur football, although with decent facilities a return to a higher league must be likely at some point.

The ground at Berwickshire High School was basic, just a roped off pitch with dugouts, but not out of place in the East of Scotland League before the influx of ex-Junior clubs. Burntisland won thanks to a goal in each half.

After the game we drove up to Edinburgh, staying overnight before going to the Qualifying Cup Final, between Spartans and Whitehill Welfare, played at Craigroyston on the Sunday.

There's a contemporaneous report on the Duns game on my blog.

4024.jpg

huttonpark

Junior Team Starter
Saturday 22 March 1958
Isthmian League
Romford 0 Tooting and Mitcham 0
Programme 3d

A good result for Romford as Tooting were top of the table at the time and Romford near the bottom. The Tooting centre forward was Paddy Hasty who was the last man to score a goal for Great Britain in the Olympic Games Finals competition before GB entered a team for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
The programme notes contained the following gem of information - 'It was at the end of the 1930-31 season a most unusual happening took place in Amateur Football, on May 5th a special meeting was called by the Council of the Athenian League to recommend to their Annual General Meeting a club to take over the membership vacated by Cheshunt who, incidentally, had finished bottom of the League for the fourth consecutive season. Following the customary method of elimination of many Club applicants, Mitcham Wanderers found favour by 9 votes to the 8 votes received by Romford however on the night of the Annual General Meeting this was reversed and Romford gained admission to the Athenian League much to the disappointment of Mitcham Wanderers as can well be understood, incidentally, a great surprise to the football world in general. Six years later they became Athenians'.
Also 'Congratulations to our neighbours Ilford, on reaching the (Amateur Cup) Final. We can only hope our league colleagues (Woking) also win their replay to make an all Isthmian Final. Those who applied for Amateur Cup Final Tickets will receive them in due time, it is pleasing to note a good game is assured'.

The Willows

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Friday 22nd March 2013

Stadio Olimpico de Serravalle
San Marino 0 England 8
Flew from snowbound Manchester to a sunny 20C Rimini.
Game was a complete mismatch,
which in boxing would have been stopped long before the final whistle.

DonQuixote

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
Saturday 22 March 1958
Isthmian League
Romford 0 Tooting and Mitcham 0
Programme 3d

A good result for Romford as Tooting were top of the table at the time and Romford near the bottom. The Tooting centre forward was Paddy Hasty who was the last man to score a goal for Great Britain in the Olympic Games Finals competition before GB entered a team for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
The programme notes contained the following gem of information - 'It was at the end of the 1930-31 season a most unusual happening took place in Amateur Football, on May 5th a special meeting was called by the Council of the Athenian League to recommend to their Annual General Meeting a club to take over the membership vacated by Cheshunt who, incidentally, had finished bottom of the League for the fourth consecutive season. Following the customary method of elimination of many Club applicants, Mitcham Wanderers found favour by 9 votes to the 8 votes received by Romford however on the night of the Annual General Meeting this was reversed and Romford gained admission to the Athenian League much to the disappointment of Mitcham Wanderers as can well be understood, incidentally, a great surprise to the football world in general. Six years later they became Athenians'.
Also 'Congratulations to our neighbours Ilford, on reaching the (Amateur Cup) Final. We can only hope our league colleagues (Woking) also win their replay to make an all Isthmian Final. Those who applied for Amateur Cup Final Tickets will receive them in due time, it is pleasing to note a good game is assured'.

Crowd was 1,580 if you are in need of or just interested.

Warwickian

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Back to Saturday 22nd March 1980.
Football League.Division One
Leeds United 0 Coventry City 0

This was a dire match which was watched by a paltry crowd of 14,967 and if memory serves me correctly there was a protest by supporters after the match.Leeds were a shadow of the team they were in the early 70s with only Paul Madeley and Trevor Cherry from the halcyon days.For the Sky Blues,Tommy Hutchison the stand out from a mediocre bunch.
I found the ticket stub for the match.I sat in the West Stand which cost £3.20!

agamemnon3

Junior Team Regular
Saturday, March 22nd 1980. Isthmian League Premier Division.
Tooting & Mitcham United v Tilbury 3-0 (1-0). Att: 290.

With T&M in fifth place and Tilbury bottom, this was a fairly straightforward home win. My notes suggest that the visitors seemed out of their depth and that T&M should probably have scored a few more. T&M finished the season in sixth, while Tilbury remained bottom, and were relegated from the Isthmian Premier, never to attain such heights again.

This was my first visit to Sandy Lane, now, of course, covered by housing. I believe that one of the streets of houses is named after Alex Stepney, who grew up in the area and played a couple of seasons for T&M before moving on.

With a huge stand that ran almost the length of the pitch, and a large bank of open terracing, this was a glorious place. I am reliably informed that in heaven, all the non-league grounds look like this.

Also worth a mention:
Tuesday, March 22nd 1983. London Spartan League Premier Division.
Greenwich Borough v Ambrose Fleming 4-1 (1-0). Att: 33.

My first visit to Harrow Meadow, in Eltham, and my one and only sighting of Ambrose Fleming. They were supposedly an 'old boys' side, made up of former pupils of Ambrose Fleming Grammar School, in Enfield, but as seasoned watchers of the game were soon pointing out ex-players of Waltham Abbey, Chingford, Collier Row and Brimsdown Rovers, among others, it seemed unlikely. Whoever they were, they were pretty poor, and the home side should have won by a lot more. Ambrose Fleming spent three seasons in the Premier Division of the London Spartan League, and finished bottom in each of them.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
1976 (Monday)

Darlington 2 Bradford City 2
Division 4
@ Feethams

I can remember nothing of the match, but who could fail to forget Feethams which was one of the classic town centre grounds. Co-existing with cricket (but unlike at Northampton Town, no overlap) entrance was through an ornamental gateway with the name of both clubs displayed above, flanked by twin towers. You then walked round the edge of the cricket field, with a fine pavilion on the right, to the football turnstiles. The only 'modern' looking section inside was the covered terrace at the cricket end. On the left was the predominatly wooden main stand with a paddock in front and tree-lined river behind. Opposite was another mainly wooden stand and at the far end, open terracing.

This was my second visit to Feethams. No kick off time is shown in the programme, but on the cover of the one from the previous season kick off was listed as 7.15 pm - Darlington along with, at least, Rotherham Utd & Scunthorpe Utd, scheduled midweek games at that time to allow workers to go the the match before starting their 10 o'clock shift.

At the time, I would never have dreamt that 25 years later I would be back at Feethams to see The Baggies play their first ever away league match outside the top two divisions. Equally, I doubt whether the Quakers fans at that later match would have dreamt that little more than a decade on their club would have been relocated from this classic ground to the ridiculously overlarge out-of-town Safecraker Arena.

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
This one is a bit recent (a Wednesday in 2017) but I had gone to the trouble of taking the day off work for it.

Doncaster FA Challenge Cup (quarter-final) 7.30 pm

Denaby United 1 Armthorpe Markham Main 4 (H/T 0-2)

Entry - free

Programme - £1 for a very good 28 page issue

Crowd - c. 30 - 35

I had been in some doubt as whether to risk this trip, given the forecast, but the rain earlier in the day was no heavier than average and I gambled correctly that the Keepmoat athletics stadium would have a well-drained playing surface. The only problem caused by the rain was that it diluted the pitch markings to the extent that when Denaby were awarded a last-minute penalty (which would have made the score 2-4 if it were not for the fact that it was missed) the referee had to pace out the distance from where the penalty spot was supposed to be.

The athletics stadium (25 minutes walk from Doncaster station) has an elevated stand with five rows of tip-up seats and provides excellent viewing despite being situated considerably off-centre. The changing rooms, however, are located in the main stadium and players have to walk across the car park to reach the athletics arena. Perhaps because of this, the half-time interval was spent on the pitch and consequently the game ended earlier than anticipated, meaning that I was able to catch the 21.40 train back to London rather than the 22.43 which I had expected to be travelling on.

Considering that both sides play at lower levels than I normally watch in this part of the world, I was impressed by the standard of football on display. Armthorpe Markham Main (who take their name from a former colliery) were deserved winners as they showed more passion and commitment than the home side did.

Last edited:

hemelhopper

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hemel Hempstead Town; Trust Portsmouth FC and the Reds of Cincinnati
March 22nd seems to of been a normal run of the mill “you win some .. you lose some” .. kind of date, with not many detailed records available .. however back in 1980 Fratton Park was visited to see the hosts lose at home to Walsall in Division 4 .. you would have found me up at Preston North End in 2003 looking around the National Football Museum and watching a 1-1 draw with Pompey .. then in 2008 I sat up the back of the visitors Section at White Hart Lane (behind the Police box) only seeing half of the Spurs pitch in a 2-0 Pompey loss, whilst they were still in the Premiership and shortly to visit Wembley for a FA Cup Semi-Final.

A solid 2 nil Hemel away win at Poole Town in 2014 was witnessed, thanks to a Ben Mackay brace, securing three good points on the way to the Southern League Premier title that season .. and of late a mid-week trip over to Fairford Town in 2016 allowing sight of Carterton and a 3-1 away win, before the latter disappeared from the Hellenic League D1W.

All enjoyable but unfortunately no stand outs .. as all proved the norm, for the teams being seen .. ;)

Ciderjon

Junior Team Starter
I am much enjoying this life and times thread. It has meant time ( I have plenty of that at the moment) going through old diaries ,in some cases, finding games I remember nothing about.....others stay fresh in the memory like this one.......

Sunday 22nd March 1992
Wales 35 France 6
Rugby League International
Attn 10,133 admit £6 programme £1.50

Down to Swansea, just the following day after watching Wales RU in Cardiff. Awkward kick off time at The Vetch too - 6.15 on a Sunday night- meant I couldn't get home by public transport, so left the van in Cardiff and went on train from there.

Wales had a pretty strong league side in the early nineties, Paul Ford, John Devereux, Alan Bateman, Jonathan Davies amongst a galaxy of stars. France fielded Cyrille Pons and Patrick Entat (St. Gaudens at the time but better known as playing for Hull, Leeds and PSG). Wales put on an absolute display of running rugby, one of the best complete games I've ever seen in over 40 years of watching league.

The bubble burst, of course, defeats in the next two matches against England and Australia lost the impetus - a case of too much too soon- but that can't take away from the brilliance of that night at The Vetch.

After the game I may have stopped for a swift celebration in either The Adam and Eve in Swansea or The Tudor in Cardiff*s Riverside where I was on nodding terms with the landlord. All unrepeatable, but you guessed that! Both pubs long gone, as is The Vetch and match sponsors British Coal. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
March 22nd seems to of been a normal run of the mill “you win some .. you lose some” .. kind of date, with not many detailed records available .. however back in 1980 Fratton Park was visited to see the hosts lose at home to Walsall in Division 4.
Mr HH - I was at the Walsall match too. Back in my young days, I'd usually be sat up in the North Stand seating, but'd sneak down onto the North Terrace when the gates were opened for the final fifteen minutes. If I remember correctly, Walsall scored the winner in this one pretty late on in what was an important promotion battle. As it was, both sides eventually went up: Walsall finished in second place, sandwiched between Huddersfield in top spot and Newport County in third, while Pompey famously won at Northampton on the final day of the season to pip Bradford into fourth on mere goal difference, with Bradford losing that day at Peterborough.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Sunday 22nd March 1992
Wales 35 France 6
Rugby League International
Attn 10,133 admit £6 programme £1.50

Wales had a pretty strong league side in the early nineties, Paul Ford, John Devereux, Alan Bateman, Jonathan Davies amongst a galaxy of stars...
Phil (not Paul) Ford (aka The Rubber Man). I got the impression many rugby league fans, at least initially, struggled to warm to Phil. But his pace made him real asset to all the clubs he played for - Warrington, Wigan, Bradford, Leeds and Salford. His GB/Wales cap haul reached 20, and he was part of the 1988 GB team - scored a try - that beat the Aussies 26-12 at Sydney in the Third Test. You might remember his brother, Steve, being suspended by the RFU for having the temerity to play a rugby league trial game for Leeds.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks