Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
Saturday 19th March 1983
Lewes 1-1 St Albans City
Isthmian League - Division 1

What I remember about this game was an argument between the Saints goalkeeper and one of his own outfield players which resulted in a landed punch and a red card! Unfortunately, I can't remember who got sent off and the excellent St Albans City database of all the clubs games ever played since its formation has not got that detail.

This was my third season of following non league football and Saints, and was experienced through a permanent alcoholic haze so memories aren't always very clear. Lewes, of course, offered me many hostelries to patronised before and after the game. Having spent the whole of the 70s watching Bristol City and completing the 92, I needed new horizons and non league offered limitless new opportunities.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Tuesday 19th March 1996
Bromsgrove Rovers 2 Kettering Town 0 (HT 2-0)
Spalding Challenge Cup, Semi-Final, First Leg (7.45)
Attendance 650
Programme £1.20 (40pp)

Ah, the days when I had the enthusiasm to watch games in 'nothing' competitions like this. An eventful evening at the Victoria Ground, as it turned out. Two Andys, Power and Dale, scored Rovers' goals, in the sixth and 43rd minutes, respectively. Kettering's reliable veteran keeper Alan Judge saved a 20th-minute penalty from Jimmy Skelding. I tend to associate Judge with Hereford United. Given Wiki says that's the club for which he played most games (105), maybe not a surprise.

Unlucky Rovers striker John Hunt was stretchered off in the 24th minute with a dislocated elbow. Always a nasty injury. Hunt took an ambulance ride to hospital. A professional foul got Poppy John Shanahan sent off 12 minutes before half-time.

No idea what happened in the second leg. Rovers were sixth in the Conference table at the time. Teams above them were Stevenage (top) followed by Hednesford, Macclesfield, Woking and Kidderminster. Kettering lay 12th.

I see from the programme cover Bromsgrove had won the Spalding Challenge Cup the previous season. Ditto the Worcestershire Senior Cup and the Midland Floodlit Youth League.

Last edited:

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Tuesday 19th March 1996
Bromsgrove Rovers 2 Kettering Town 0 (HT 2-0)
Spalding Challenge Cup, Semi-Final, First Leg (7.45)

No idea what happened in the second leg.
Kettering won 2-1, and Rovers went on to retain the cup.

Herb Alpert

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Leyton Orient, whoever is playing w*** h** u*****
The pick of my match list for 19th March was the FA Vase Semi-Final in 1988 at Sudbury Town's wonderful old Priory Stadium.

Mon 19-Mar-84 Southend United 1-2 Port Vale
Tue 19-Mar-85 Orient Reserves 3-1 East Thurrock United
Wed 19-Mar-86 Orient Reserves 1-2 Wimbledon Reserves
Sat 19-Mar-88 Sudbury Town 1-1 Colne Dynamoes
Tue 19-Mar-91 Shrewsbury Town 3 0 Leyton Orient
Sat 19-Mar-94 Brighton & Hove Albion 2-0 Leyton Orient
Tue 19-Mar-96 Leyton Orient 1-0 Scarborough
Sat 19-Mar-11 Buckingham Town 1-2 Huntingdon Town
Mon 19-Mar-12 Barkingside 2-4 Witham Town
Sat 19-Mar-16 Cinderford Town 3-1 Evesham United

martin55

Junior Team Regular
Saturday 19th March

Match one ground one: Oxford United v Crystal Palace at the Manor Ground.
Football League Division Three

A one nil away win with a goal scored some time in the first half by Steve Perrin in front of 6,872.

I remember next to nothing about this match, other than it was great fun being on the London Road End for the first of many visits.

This was the last match played by Peter Houseman. He was killed in a car crash the following evening (along with his wife and two friends) when returning home from a fund-raising event.

In 1986 I was also at Odsal for Bradford City v Charlton Athletic.

hemelhopper

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hemel Hempstead Town; Trust Portsmouth FC and the Reds of Cincinnati
March 19th has offered some great memories over the years .. back in 1977 it was my first FA Cup game at Anfield, where a comfortable 2 nil home win in the 6th Rd allowed both “red and blue” sets of Scousers to chase Derby and Middlesboro fans around Stanley Park for half an hour, before mounted police broke up proceedings .. in 1980 Leeds United were undone at Anfield 3-0 .. then in 2003 my final visit to Highfield Road, Coventry, providing a 4-nil win for visitors Pompey, on their way to winning the Championship .. a 1-1 draw at Fratton in 2005 against the Geordies was enjoyed .. and a couple of Hemel games .. in 2013 those delicious faggots and chips were sampled at Bedworth United, capped by a 2-1 away win .. however, my pick for this day goes to 2016 and a visit to Kent .. simply because it’s the biggest ever defeat I’ve witnessed watching the Tudors .. and the worst result never seems to drift away that easily from the mind .. ;)

Ebbsfleet United 6-0 Hemel Hempstead Town (National League South)
… played at Stonebridge Road, Northfleet from 3.0pm

Att – 1,021 official; Entry £11 and Programme–£3; Weather – chilly breeze off the Thames;
Colours – The Fleet in red tops and white shorts .. Tudors turned out in all green.

Well apart from a schoolboy defensive error in the first half .. we competed quite well for forty-five .. not much happening in terms of real chances, with the odd shot missing the target .. although being one goal down at the half didn’t necessarily mean we would get back into it .. we awaited the second with interest.

.. and on the way home I reflected on an enjoyable day .. I’d visited a new ground .. I’d watched the Leaders go about their task in a professional manner in pursuit of the title .. it was good to see our old skipper Jordan Parkes running around again in his usual style .. capping it off with a goal .. oh and I had great appreciation of our German supporters, who had made the long trip over and were enjoying themselves with the rest of our happy bunch .. as they circled the perimeter of the whole pitch doing the conga and singing along as they went .. with the Fleet supporters applauding their circuit .. not bad when your six down .. but what the heck, our managers and players came together at the end, showed their appreciation of the day out and gathering we had brought .. concluding with a huddle at the centre of pitch .. yes, it had been a tough second half .. but we’ll all go again next time .. :)

kreader

Ball Boy / Girl
West Lancashire League - Premier Division
Saturday 19th March 2005
CHARNOCK RICHARD 1 DALTON UNITED 2

Dalton were the better side and thoroughly deserved to win. Charnock were gifted a goal on 20 minutes through a goalkeeper howler but goalscoring legend Gareth Jones equalised before the interval. A header from the same player gave the visitors the lead in the second half and they comfortably saw out the game to claim the three points. It was Charnock's second consecutive home defeat.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
My records show many games watched on this date, but none of them triggered any memories at all. The stand out result was

1988 (Saturday)
Dunfermline Ath 6 Dundee 1
Scottish Premier Division

The internet tells me that, after two consecutive promotions to this level, The Pars were immediately relegated as one of three clubs as the division contracted from 12 to 10. Dundee finished 7th.

Hopefully tomorrow will unearth something more memorable.

Warwickian

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
I've trawled through my records on gone back 34 years to Wednesday 19th March 1986

West Bromwich Albion 0 Coventry City 0
Football League.Divsion One

A Wednesday night match at The Hawthorns produced a dismal goaless game between two struggling teams.The Baggies were relegated at the end of the season whilst The Sky Blues did their usual escape act by winning their last game of the season to stay up (again!)
The attendance for this match was 8,831 which was pretty normal back in the mid-80s.No idea of the admission but I would have been standing up in the away section.
Looking at the line-ups for both teams,Albion had Imre Varadi and George Reilly upfront whilst City had the wonderful Cyrille Regis alongside the not so wonderful Alan Brazil!!

Steveb

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
I'll draw a veil over this day in 2011, when an attempt to watch the Muratti semi final at Alderney got not further than a faulty plane on the runway at Manchester Airport. I ended up watching Beaumaris Town at Beach Road in Bangor, a poor substitute (although I did reschedule and was able to watch a league game in Alderney later in the season).

Instead ...

3pm
North West Counties League Cup, Semi Final Second Leg
Stantondale 0 Rossendale United 3 (agg 0-6) (att 160)
Prog issued, no idea of costs

I was living in Worcester at the time and must have driven up to Merseyside for this, although it's possible I went by train. Hard to recall after all these years.

Stantondale had a short spell in the North West Counties League, and I recall their ground was quite basic. They played at the Leisure Time Club, Orrell Lane, Bootle, although my records suggest they left the ground after the 1995/6 season. Fellow tenants Crystal Villa also left then, so I assume it was closed. A quick look at Google Earth's historic images suggests it's now covered by houses close to an Asda.

Apart from a desire to visit one of the NWCL's obscurer clubs it seems an odd choice of game, given Rossendale had a healthy first leg lead. Perhaps it was the lure of seeing Stantondale against a relatively 'big' club. Certainly the crowd was larger than for most Standondale games. The visitors led 2-0 by half time, so the outcome was never in any doubt.
1021.jpg

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Sub
Second mention of Imre Varadi on this thread ! Well liked at The Hawthorns, even though he didn't stay that long (a pattern he followed throughout his career).

huttonpark

Junior Team Starter
March 19 1960
Romford Reserves 2 Spalding United 3
Eastern Counties League
Programme 2d

Played at Brooklands, Romford's former and much lamented magnificent ground. Unfortunately I don't remember anything about the game.

Dr Love

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Halifax Town
Saturday 19th March 2011

Uffington United 4-5 Kintbury Reserves
Norths Berks 3rd Division

Intended to be the first part of a double with Letcombe, this didn't finish early enough leading to an alternative second fixture. It remains the smallest crowd I've been part of. A total of three. Took a while to get going, and not the greatest of the games I've seen settled by the odd goal in nine. Played on the back pitch rather than the main one, my subsequent visits to the ground have been with the hops.

East Hendred 3-1 Marcham
North Berks 2nd Division

The possiblity of the doubles had been set up due to a number of clubs having to play firsts and reserves games on the same day. I don't recall too much about the game, I presume t was one of those that's etertaining at the time, but nothing to make it really memorable (either good or bad), but a decent clubhouse behind the near goal.

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Saturday 19th March

Match one ground one: Oxford United v Crystal Palace at the Manor Ground.
Football League Division Three

A one nil away win with a goal scored some time in the first half by Steve Perrin in front of 6,872.

I remember next to nothing about this match, other than it was great fun being on the London Road End for the first of many visits.

This was the last match played by Peter Houseman. He was killed in a car crash the following evening (along with his wife and two friends) when returning home from a fund-raising event.
I was also at that match (will post my list later) and one thing I do remember about it is that it rained that day. I also remember the shock of hearing about the car crash and it particularly upset me that several children had been orphaned as a result.

The vulture

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Division Four
Swindon Town 1 Darlington 2
Att : 2,815

Remember next to nothing about it, apparently our 5th loss on the bounce resulting in after match protests (will have no doubt been involved). 2 days later club legend John Trollope was relieved of managerial duties.
1982-83 was possibly the worse football ever seen at the County Ground as the club really felt at rock bottom.
Doubt many Darlo fans enjoyed the win as away followings in those days were extremely small.....when I saw us lose 1-0 in the corresponding fixture up at Feethams we probably only had an away support of about 50. No segregation there and the local support were a great bunch.

Chris1963

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
So here goes, it does take a while to look up my records as they are all on paper only. If I start cutting and pasting my old WDYG reports at some point in the future, you will then know that I've started becoming lazy or bored.

1977 (Sat) Oxford United 0 Crystal Palace 1 (a miserable wet day at the Manor)

1983 (Sat) Swindon Town 1 Darlington 2 (not sure why I did this, but nice to see Swindon lose!)

1988 (Sat) Southport 0 Worksop Town 0 (a wet day on Merseyside, crowd was just 279)

1994 (Sat) Preston NE 3 Mansfield Town 1 (Bamber Bridge off, so ended up doing this revisit)

1995 (Sun) Llanwern 2 Carmarthen Town 2 (a fine day in Wales)

1996 (Tues) Oxford United 3 Swindon Town 0 (another defeat for Swindon, ha ha!)

1997 (Weds) Newport Pagnell Town 1 Reading 3 (Bucks & Berks Cup semi-final at Newport Pagnell)

2000 (Sun) JS Heppignies 0 ES Acren 1 (Belgium, Hainaut Provincial League)

2002 (Tues) Barnet 4 Dagenham & Redbridge 0 (wouldn't waste my time watching that today)

2005 (Sat) Oxford United 2 Boston United 0 (FL Division 2, will these two clubs ever meet again?)

2006 (Sun) Verb. Hofstade 7 KTH Diest 0 (only 1-0 at H/T in Belgium's Brabant Provincial League)

2011 (Sat) Oxford United 2 Crewe Alexandra 1 (don't remember anything about this one)

2016 (Sat) Long Stratton 0 Reepham Town 1 (last minute goal in Anglian Combination Premier Div)

2017 (Sun) Notts County 1 Barnet 0 (re-visit mainly to take photos of Meadow Lane)

That's 14 matches in all, compared with 15 on 18th March.

The 1994 match is an early example of a fussy referee - the match at Bamber Bridge was off due to a supposedly waterlogged pitch. Admittedly there had been some overnight rain, but pitch looked fine when I arrived at the ground. Probably a local referee rather than the match referee was to blame as I had arrived very early. I was able to get to Deepdale in good time for the kick-off there, and I can at least claim to have watched matches there on both grass and plastic. Still need to make a third visit as it has been rebuilt on all four sides since then! Looking at the other posts, it's a pity I didn't do Stantondale that day, a ground I missed altogether.

Edit; amazing to see that 'The vulture' was also at the 1983 game. A rather strange decision of mine to attend it, but the ground had to be ticked sometime, and at least Oxford weren't at home that day.

Last edited:

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
I'll check my records for others on 19th March later on, but if for the moment may I include one from the day before... 🙄

Friday 18th March 1988
Swansea City 1-0 Bolton Wanderers

...because Swans regularly played on a Friday night in those days, so as not to clash with any particularly big rugby matches taking place locally. This one pulled in a crowd of 3,980 on a night when it lashed down with rain like a bad day in the Old Testament, probably explaining why I was somehow allowed onto the North Bank with an enormous and rather threatening golfing umbrella. Swans scored the winner in the very last minute, and six weeks later just managed to scrape their way into the play-offs ahead of Peterborough on goal-difference - beating Rotherham in the semi-final and Torquay in the two-legged final to grab a highly unexpected promotion to the third division along with Bolton themselves, Wolves and Cardiff. Before this match, we visited a whole string of the small terraced pubs that used to populate the back-streets of Sandfields around the Vetch Field, and I can distinctly remember going into The Paxton Arms and The Clarence Inn, probably because I'm pretty sure it was the only time I ever went into either of those two. Like almost all the other pubs around the site of the former Vetch, these two pubs are now gone - the Paxton is now a homeless hostel, while the Clarence sits boarded up across from the former Swansea City club shop.

I've fond memories of these Friday night matches at the Vetch. With the ground being right in the city centre, and just a minute or two walk from the nightclubs that then populated The Kingsway, a large number of those fashion-conscious Jacks would attend Friday night matches dressed ready to hit the dance-floors straight after the final whistle. Your closest choices were: Harpers, Martha's Vineyard, Rumours, Whispers, The Aviary or the Top Rank - though this being Swansea in 1988, it was white socks, slip-on loafers, stripey shirt and tie (preferably a thin grey leather number) as compulsory!

*Edit: Oooops - Have just spotted the 18th March thread further down. Looks like I've cocked it up at the very start! 🥴

Last edited:

Burgesshillbee

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Brentford
My lists for 19th March

19 March 1983 Watford v Spurs 0-1 If i remember rightly Glenn Hoddle scored a decent goal
19 March 1988 Enfield v Lincoln City 0-0 My only visit to Southbury Road
19 March 1991 Cambridge Utd v Brentford 0-0 First Visit to Abbey Stadium went with Henfield Bee
19 March 1994 Eastbourne Town v Pagham 2-3 First Visit to Eastbourne Town
19 March 1996 Cradley Town v Ettingshall Holy Trinity 0-2 Only Visit to Cradley Records show No Programme Issued, also remember talking to a local groundhopper cannot remember who it was and they gave me a lift back to Wolverhampton Station as i was staying in the Birmingham area for a couple of days.
19 March 1997 Farsley Celtic v Runcorn 0-2 Only Visit to Farsley Celtic having been at Hatfield Main the previous evening.
19 March 2002 Arundel v Selsey 0-2 RUR Cup Final at Lancing
19 March 2005 Brentford v Chesterfield 2-2
19 March 2011 Brentofrd v Leyton Orient 2-1
19 March 2016 Brentford v Blackburn Rovers 0-1
19 March 2019 Lutterworth Town v Northampton Sileby Rangers 1-0 Went with Henfield Bee only visit to Lutterworth Town, not managed to get to Lutterworth Athletic yet.

Bagman

Youth Team Hopeful
19 March 2013 Dover Athletic 1 v 0 Bromley Programme £2 Attendance 715
19 March 2019 Alresford Town 3 v 1 Baffins Milton Rovers Programme None Attendance 44

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks