March 19th

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Any games the older and the more detail the better,,, over to you...

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Go on I'm bored , I'll play.

1966. Sat. Man U 2 v 1 Arsenal.
1969 Wed. Man U 8 v 1 QPR.
1971. Friday. Southport 1 v 0 Crewe.
1972. Sunday. Stafford R 1 V 1 Lancaster.
1974. Tuesday. Oldham 4 v 2 Bournemouth.
1975. Wed. Crewe 0 v 0 Bradford City.
1977. Sat. Barry 1 v 0 Banbury.
1978. Sun. Taunton 0 v 1 Bristol City.
1983. Sat. Graham St Prims 2 v 3 Blidworth.
1985. Tues. Kingsbury 1 v 2 Wolverton.
1988. Sat. Farleigh R 1 V 2 Merstham.
1989. Sunday. Waremme 0 v 0 Tilleur.
1991. Tues. Crewe 3 v 0 Swansea.
1993. Friday. Chester 1 v 2 Rotherham.
1994. Sat. Halesworth 2 v 3 Westerfield.
1995. Sunday. Sprimont 4 v 2 Hannuit.
1996. Tues. Crewe 3 v 1 Burnley.
1997. Wed. Caernarfon Borough 3 v 3 Cemaes Bay. (AET. 2-4 On pens).
1999. Friday. Hapoel Kfar Saba 0 v 0 Hapoel Tel Aviv.
2000. Sunday. Terhojden 1 v 1 Meldert.
2005. Sat. Monotype 1 v 2 Hersham RBL.
2006. Sunday. Naftex 3 v 1 Levski Sofia.
2008. Wed. Videma Sevlievo 0 v 0 CSKA Sofia.
2011. Sat. Keele Uni 0 v 0 Chesterton.
2013. Tuesday. Crewe 2 v 1 MK Dons.
2016. Sat. Crewe 1 v 2 Blackpool.

Edit. 1972. Sunday. Stafford R 1 V 1 Lancaster. Is this a glitch in my records , why was this on a Sunday ? My error ?, I have it as a 15-00 kick off with an attendance of 3,625
They certainly would have had a fixture back log after winning a treble , League Champions / F A Trophy / Staffs Senior Cup but Sunday football was rare.

Last edited:

agamemnon3

Junior Team Regular
Tuesday, March 19th 1974. Football League Division Two.
Fulham v Middlesbrough 0-4 (0-1). Att: 18114.

A mild, though cloudy night in West London, and one which England legend Bobby Moore was later to describe as 'one of the most disappointing nights of my life'. He was making his Fulham debut, and the Craven Cottage faithful turned out in droves, (almost twice their normal attendance), fully expecting to see the maestro turn their season around, and lift them from their then ninth position up into the promotion places. Unfortunately, their visitors, Middlesbrough, (or, as the press had renamed them, 'Jack Charlton's Middlesbrough'), hadn't read their scripts.

Ten points clear at the top of the division, and fresh from a 4-0 win at third-placed West Bromwich Albion only three days earlier, Middlesbrough were simply devastating --- they really could have scored twenty. Their much-feared strike force of David Mills, Alan Foggon and John Hickton, wasted chance after chance after chance, and it was left to the midfielders/centre-backs Willie Maddren (2), Stuart Boam and Graeme Souness to get the goals. As I recall, Bobby Moore, and his former England colleague Alan Mullery, both played very well, and did all they could, but they were just simply overrun. As the fourth goal went in, rain began to fall, which seemed to sum up the evening perfectly for the thousands of Fulham fans heading for the exits.

Middlesbrough went on to win the division by fifteen clear points, thus returning to the top flight for the first time since 1954, while Fulham slumped somewhat, and finished thirteenth.

Also worth a mention:
Monday, March 19th 1984. Isthmian League Division One.
Lewes v Windsor & Eton 0-7 (0-1). Att: 195.

Lewes, around fifteenth in the division, more than held their own for forty-five minutes against top of the table Windsor & Eton, but went in to the interval one down to a nothing shot which took a bizarre deflection and went in. I don't know what was said in the respective dressing rooms, but W & E were a different proposition in the second half, completely ruthless, and scored six without reply.

Lewes stayed around fifteenth, while W & E won the division.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Sunday March 19th 1978

Watching matches on a Sunday at this time was unusual for me as I was usually playing football. I’m not sure why I was available this Sunday although being suspended is a strong possibility.

National Inter-Region Drybrough Cup
East region v North Region, 3-0, H.T. 2-0, Att c,150
At Prestonfield, Linlithgow Rose FC

Drybrough’s Brewery were heavily involved in sponsoring Junior football in the 1970s. Sadly they were also involved in brewing “beer”. For professional clubs they ran the pre-season Drybrough Cup, identical in format and qualification to the English Watney Cup. In the Juniors they ran a ko Cup competition in each of then then 6 regions, followed by a ko cup for the winners of each. All games in the latter were played on neutral grounds at clubs who sold Drybrough’s effluent in their Social Clubs. Finally, they sponsored this tournament for select sides from each of the 6 Junior Regions.

The public were not really interested in these select games. I noted 150 at the game – probably an exaggeration. In those days I gave games a rating out of 5 – this managed a one out of five. The scores are noted as Buckley (2) and Crease. Buckley played for Bonnyrigg who won the Scottish Junior Cup that season. Crease is Jimmy Crease of Linlithgow Rose, who went on to manage them, Albion Rovers, Berwick and others. Currently he in landlord of the Black Bitch, one of the closest pubs to Linlithgow’s ground.

Prestonfield in 1978 was identical to the current ground apart from the seated stand. Those who have examined that stand will know that it is a free-standing structure built over the existing pavilion. In 1978 the pavilion was all that weas on that side of the ground but the covered enclosure opposite was exactly as it is today.

There was no programme for this game. Drybrough’s did occasionally hand out 4-pagers at games in this competition but not on this occasion.

I didn’t note whether this was a First Round or Semi Final tie. I possibly didn’t even know at the time. Pre internet I assume I found out about the game through the Edinburgh Evening News, probably in the previous days Saturday Pink edition.

Andy D

Youth Team Sub
This day in history doesn't appear to have been the most exciting day in my records. I'll pick this one.....

Tuesday 19th March 1996
Salford City 0 Bootle 2, North West Counties League Division 1, Att: 20

How times have changed. This was my fourth visit to Moor Lane and at the time it was a million miles away from the modern "Class of 92" version. The almost unique white concrete stand had seen better days even then and a small covered standing area opposite had been more recently added over a couple of steps of concrete terracing. The rest of the ground was extremely basic, railed with rough grass banks with the whole ground set down below the level of the road. Parking outside the ground - especially for an evening game - could be considered risky and therefore an early arrival was advised so that a spot inside could be secured. Despite everything, there was usually a warm welcome and a decent cuppa available for the few regulars who did turn up. Two second half goals by the visitors secured the three points towards a decent 6th place finish while Salford just escaped relegation although it was only a 12 month stay of execution as they finished rock bottom the following season.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.

During the 80s and 90s I was making a half-hearted attempt to do the 92 and i eventually completed it. This day saw me on a train trip to South Wales for the Division 3 clash between Newport County and Reading at the old Somerton Park . Once again memories are very sparse but records tell me Newport won it 1-0 in front of 3,588 people . I can remember watching the game in an open end with the main Swansea/Cardiff to Paddington directly behind . I visited the clubshop and bought a few things that i still have today.

Quite a lot of other games done on this date and in 94 it was was Billing Road for ON Chenecks 0 St Ives 1 in UCL 1 with a headcount of 25, little did i know that in future years i would be coming back here a couple more times.

Ciderjon

Junior Team Starter
Tuesday 19th March 1991
Newbury Town 0 Hungerford Town 0
Vaux. Div 2S

The West Berkshire derby drew my attention, and I enjoyed sitting in the old wooden (?) stand at Faraday Road.it cost £1.60 to get in , 30 pence for a programme. Don't remember any detail of the game (see scoreline) but mentioning this one due to the differing fortunes of the two clubs. Newbury Town gone, and the Faraday Rd ground with them, Hungerford Town up towards the high echelons of the non league game.

Writing this, I am reminded there is now a Newbury team in the Thames Valley League, playing somewhere towards Thatcham that I haven't been to, perhaps as a project for next season. (Assuming there is a next season).

Last edited:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
My twitter link for the day is March 19 and features pictures from Lokomotiv Mezdra 3-1 Minyor Pernik

In 1995, I saw a double header in Italy, Brescia 1-4 Torino and Padova 0-1 Fiorentina while a year later my double header was at the Shah Alam in Malaysia, and featured Olympic Qualifying games, Kazakhstan 1-2 South Korea, and China 1-1 Saudi Arabia. If I remember rightly, South Korea qualified for the finals

Not a good day for viewing Cheltenham, with two visits to Whaddon Road to see the home team lost 3-0, At least the 2003 visit was just a reserve game (Norwich), while two years later Southend were the winners. The more recent Cheltenham game was a 1-0 defeat at Braintree (2016).

Another team worth missing on this date would be Chadderton, I saw them play away at Norton United (2003 - so after the Cheltenham game) and Stone Dominoes (2008). Both were scoreless

Back in 1989, I was at Saint Patricks in Ireland, a trip that had started on Saint Patricks day - they beat Shelbourne 2-1

One unusual one was a Humber Premier League game in 2014, with Pocklington beating Scarborough Athletic (reserves) by 5-1

The Willows

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Wednesday 19th March 1986

Bradford City 1 Charlton Athletic 2

Not much interest on the footballing side but my only visit to Odsal Stadium.

Denzil

Junior Team Hopeful
March 19th 2019
Laverstock and Ford 2 Whitchurch United 2
Wessex League Division One

Very recent I am afraid as I temporarily do not have access yo my earlier records

A very pleasant evening in terms of the weather and a very good playing surface, given the time of the season, for a meeting between two sides who were level on points at the start of the ninety minutes with the status quo unaltered at the conclusion of the proceedings.
Between the twelfth and fifteenth minutes we had a goal for each side. Laverstock scored first - neat play by Russ Jones and an equally neat finish by Chas Sykes, though the defence were guilty of standing off before the sort of equaliser that annoys all goalkeepers. Alex Aguer in the home goal did superbly in clawing away a fierce free kick that he saw very late only for his defenders to freeze as Harry Butler lifted the loose ball in to the roof of the net. Inspired by this the visitors went in front on the thirty minute mark when Ryan Long, who has scored goals across the Wessex League over many seasons, controlled a cross and found the bottom corner from fifteen yards.
Two one at the break but Whitcgurch were kicking up the slope on the re-start and found themselves on the back foot

Denzil

Junior Team Hopeful
Sorry -pressed the wrong button

To continue

and rather shot themselves in the foot with the equalising goal. a defender attempted to head the ball back to his keeper from an impossible distance and Jones stepped in to round the keeper.Incredibly Whitchurch did it again minutes later but this time the keeper just reached the ball first before delivering a tirade to his defence - though as his command of English was negligible at the time it probably served little purpose.
No more goals and a fair result on a pleasant evening in a peaceful setting with good company
bit on such occasions there is always a downside. My journey home involved a short stretch on the A303 and there was a lengthy diversion !

adamthurston

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Yate Town
Only one fixture ever on this date.

Saturday 19th March 2016
Bristol City 6-0 Bolton Wanderers - Ashton Gate

Rob North

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Reading, Didcot Town, Dunfermline Athletic, AFC Bradfield
19/03/83 Wokingham Town 1 Croydon 0
19/03/85 Whyteleafe 4 Petersfield United 1
19/03/86 Reading 2 Rotherham United 1
19/03/88 Cogenhoe United 1 Stewart & Llloyds Corby 1 (and we were invited to partake of S & L tea and biscuits as they had no committee representatives present)
19/03/91 Maidenhead United 2 Bracknell Town 1
19/03/93 Chester City 1 Rotherham United 2
19/03/94 Kirby Muxloe SC 3 Anstey Town 1
19/03/96 Ware 0 Banstead Athletic 1
19/03/02 Didcot Town 0 AFC Wallingford 1
19/03/05 Didcot Town 1 Jarrow Roofing Boldon CA 0

Spreadsheet got screwed after that so lost the records!

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
I'll pick one this time

Fri Mar 19 1993
Chester City 1 Rotherham United 2
Att: 2265

A trip undertaken with Ashtree RockBee during Chester's first season at the Deva Stadium. For some reason, I recall an almost unruly rush for progs in the club shop after the game more than the match itself.

Leyther_Matt

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries, Hibernian
Thursday 19th March 2015
Ramsbottom United 3 Blyth Spartans 3

(Cheated and copied from the old forum, my contribution being beneath the original post)

Ramsbottom United 3 Blyth Spartans 3
Northern Premier League Premier Division
Admission £9 Programme £2

Two late goals from Blyth gave them a share of the points in this 6 goal thriller. Ramsbottom led 1-0 at half time, but Blyth levelled early in the 2nd half. Two spectacular goals seemed to have secured the points for the home side, but right at the death, 2 goals in a minute made the long trip for Blyth seem more worthwhile.

Covered terracing behind both goals, two seperate seated stands down one side, and the side with the entrance to the ground uncovered hardstanding.

Also here, taking the chance to catch up with a Nuneaton-supporting mate who is based near Halifax these days and a Sheffield-based Blyth supporting mate!

Rammy scored a couple of cracking goals and at 3-1 we must have jinxed the Rammy goalkeeper as we commented he was having a very good game indeed...and then conceded two goals in such a short space of time!

Treated myself to two of the excellent meat & potato pies (my excuse is that I didn't have any tea!) and thoroughly enjoyed my visit.

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Tuesday 19th March 1996:

Halesowen Town 0 Rushden & Diamonds 0 (Southern League Premier Division) Att: 1725 Prog: £1

Another reflection on what might have been, and how things have changed. This game was pretty much the title decider: Yeltz hit the bar in the dying seconds and the ball didn't go in the net. Diamonds went on to win the league by two points from Halesowen and onwards to the big time and then oblivion. What would have happened if the Yeltz had scored and progressed to the Conference? Whatever, it was a cracking evening at The Grove. There were some super players in Stewart Hall's Halesowen team - Gary Hackett, Evran Wright, Richard Crisp, Jim Rodwell, Mick Shearer, Matt Clarke and so on.

Andy D

Youth Team Sub
I'll pick one this time

Fri Mar 19 1993
Chester City 1 Rotherham United 2
Att: 2265

A trip undertaken with Ashtree RockBee during Chester's first season at the Deva Stadium. For some reason, I recall an almost unruly rush for progs in the club shop after the game more than the match itself.
Also at this and almost chose it as my retro game of the day. Imre Varadi scored Rotherham's first goal.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Also at this and almost chose it as my retro game of the day. Imre Varadi scored Rotherham's first goal.
That's at least 4 off here there.

Blackballed

Junior Team Hopeful
290Sun19.03.00St Austell1-2Falmouth TownEngland
491Wed19.03.03Bishops Cleeve3-0Abingdon UnitedEngland
923Sat19.03.11Nantlle Vale0-3Llandyrnog UnitedWales

Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Division Two
Nantlle Vale 0 Llandyrnog United 3
Attendance 50
Admission £2
Programme £1

Original plan had been to head for Llanrwst United v Barmouth & Dyffryn United with Glan Conwy & Penmaenmwar Phoenix in reserve but on such a lovely day we decided to head further in Snowdonia and drive the Llanberis Pass which no matter how many times we do it it's ALWAYS stunning
Smile
and we had Nantlle Vale & Llanrug as choices being only 15 minutes apart. Arrived at Llanrug at 1.30 to find little more than a field so took a short drive over to have a look at Nantlle Vale to see what was there.

Was very impressed with the set up, fully enclosed with a turnstile and a stand, no floodlights but far better than some Cymru Alliance set ups. Tea Bar dispending all the usual fare but only Ci Poeth as hot food (apparently it's a Hot Dog but I like the fact that the whole menu was in Welsh).

As for the game well the away team won relatively easily but the home team tried hard despite having several pot bellied and barrel chested players!

Very friendly little club and well worth a visit.

Oh & in case you were wondering, Llanrwst United v Barmouth & Dyffryn United finished 6-5 to the home team!!

Hawks4Ever

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Lilywhites
A few I managed to find,

2003 : Army v Navy - Inter Services Championship
2007 : Chelsea Res v Tottenham Res - 0-0
2011 : Haringey v Biggleswade : South Midlands - 1-0
2016 : Eccleshall v Widnes : North West Counties Div One - 0-5

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks