Manager / Head Coach Ins & Outs 2020/21

Bigaitch

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
None in particular
Keith Hill is the new man in at Tranmere Rovers....I would be interested to hear the thoughts of Paulh66....

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Keith Hill is the new man in at Tranmere Rovers....I would be interested to hear the thoughts of Paulh66....
The mind is still boggling with all sorts of competing and contrasting thoughts including:

Hill knows what it takes to succeed in L2 and inherits a squad that's well capable of succeeding in L2. Caretakers Dawes and Parkinson, who've really unlocked this squad's potential, were probably too raw to get the job permanently but are staying on as his assistant and coach. So Hill inherits a healthy situation and really doesn't need to change much, and most importantly he's experienced enough to know that (in fact he's already said so).

Many fans are underwhelmed by his record, and some of our dimmer lights also can't get beyond his Bolton connections. The key to our success in the Palios era has been a remarkable sense of togetherness between owners, manager, players and fans, and this appointment looks like stretching that to the limit. Hill has a big job to win them over and needs to hit the ground running, and until he does it might be just as well we're playing behind closed doors!

It's a low risk appointment in the sense that his deal is only until the end of the season, guaranteed to roll forward another year only if we get promoted. And, if it looks like going pear-shaped before then, he'd probably be cheap to sack!

The vacancy badly needed filling and it seems clear we weren't able to attract the quality names we were strongly linked when it first became available, including Adkins and Cowley. Attracting managers of that calibre to L2 always seemed fanciful, compounded further by a sense that the club doesn't want to over-commit while we're still in the teeth of a pandemic. But it got to the stage where, only 36 hours ago, Skybet had Paul Ince as a horrific 8/1 ON favourite for the job, so at least with Hill we still have some hope!

The vulture

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Groundhog
What was today's result?
Swindon Town 1 Bristol Rovers 0.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. Fully expect Rovers to finish the season the higher of the two clubs.

Anyway now able to look forward to our next midweek drubbing.

GoldenMiller34

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Millwall
The mind is still boggling with all sorts of competing and contrasting thoughts including:

Hill knows what it takes to succeed in L2 and inherits a squad that's well capable of succeeding in L2. Caretakers Dawes and Parkinson, who've really unlocked this squad's potential, were probably too raw to get the job permanently but are staying on as his assistant and coach. So Hill inherits a healthy situation and really doesn't need to change much, and most importantly he's experienced enough to know that (in fact he's already said so).

Many fans are underwhelmed by his record, and some of our dimmer lights also can't get beyond his Bolton connections. The key to our success in the Palios era has been a remarkable sense of togetherness between owners, manager, players and fans, and this appointment looks like stretching that to the limit. Hill has a big job to win them over and needs to hit the ground running, and until he does it might be just as well we're playing behind closed doors!

It's a low risk appointment in the sense that his deal is only until the end of the season, guaranteed to roll forward another year only if we get promoted. And, if it looks like going pear-shaped before then, he'd probably be cheap to sack!

The vacancy badly needed filling and it seems clear we weren't able to attract the quality names we were strongly linked when it first became available, including Adkins and Cowley. Attracting managers of that calibre to L2 always seemed fanciful, compounded further by a sense that the club doesn't want to over-commit while we're still in the teeth of a pandemic. But it got to the stage where, only 36 hours ago, Skybet had Paul Ince as a horrific 8/1 ON favourite for the job, so at least with Hill we still have some hope!
Has he succeeded anywhere other than Rochdale?

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Has he succeeded anywhere other than Rochdale?
Only other stints were at Barnsley, where I don't know if keeping them in the Championship was considered some kind of success, and mission impossible at Bolton last season, where I thought he would deliver far more. The contrast between what he walked into at Bolton and what's he's walking into now couldn't be greater.

Apparently we almost appointed him back in 2009 before offering it to caretaker Les Parry instead.

Bigaitch

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
None in particular
Only other stints were at Barnsley, where I don't know if keeping them in the Championship was considered some kind of success, and mission impossible at Bolton last season, where I thought he would deliver far more. The contrast between what he walked into at Bolton and what's he's walking into now couldn't be greater.

Apparently we almost appointed him back in 2009 before offering it to caretaker Les Parry instead.
Thanks for your response Paul, I was amazed to see Ince at that price and having seen it even more amazed to see him not get the job. I am unsure about Ince. He worked miracles at Macclesfield but otherwise was not overly inspiring from what I can recall. I hope Keith Hill does well as I have a lot of respect for him as a manager. He may not be the most successful ever, but he is in the main dignified which counts for a lot in my eyes.

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Thanks for your response Paul, I was amazed to see Ince at that price and having seen it even more amazed to see him not get the job. I am unsure about Ince. He worked miracles at Macclesfield but otherwise was not overly inspiring from what I can recall. I hope Keith Hill does well as I have a lot of respect for him as a manager. He may not be the most successful ever, but he is in the main dignified which counts for a lot in my eyes.
The odds were a bit misleading in the sense that the market for betting on the Rovers job was so small that a few quid on anyone was shifting the price dramatically. The Ince speculation began when he was photographed at a recent home game but, although it seemed he was only there in a scouting capacity, people started putting 2+2 together. His odds, like others in the field, were sharply up and down like a yo-yo after that. In fact even though Ince was 8/1 on on Friday morning, a few hours later Paul Hurst went from nowhere to odds on favourite before we heard Hill was getting the job!

GoldenMiller34

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Millwall
Phil Parkinson gone at Sunderland.
And so it goes on at Sunderland. Parkinson had been there 13 months, a long-rumoured sale is still in the offing. I thought he would do better but no tangible progress has been made. Perhaps 7th or 8th is just the level of the squad. Cook or the Cowleys may be tempted by this vacancy.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
And so it goes on at Sunderland. Parkinson had been there 13 months, a long-rumoured sale is still in the offing. I thought he would do better but no tangible progress has been made. Perhaps 7th or 8th is just the level of the squad. Cook or the Cowleys may be tempted by this vacancy.
Anyone would be tempted by getting two or three years pay for 12 months (if you're lucky) work.

Or does it not work like that ?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks