Macclesfield Town’s winding up petition

Spennyfan_Chris

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Spennymoor Town (National League North), Tokyo Verdy (JLeague Division 2), FC Krumkachy (Belarus's Pershaya Liga)
How the points deduction came about from the BBC Article -

• December 2019: A 10-point deduction, with four suspended, for non-payment of salaries and failing to fulfil a fixture against Crewe. In March, this was reduced to a seven-point penalty with three suspended after Macclesfield appealed. It meant the club were deducted four points with immediate effect.
  • May 2020: A seven-point deduction for failing to play a match against Plymouth and non-payment of wages, including the suspended three points from the first case being applied to the second punishment. That took the total deduction for the season to 11 points. A further two-point deduction was suspended.
  • June 2020: That two-point deduction was activated by the latest ruling - taking the season's total deduction to 13 points.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
The independent panel's verdict into Macc's punishment has been published: https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/200619---efl-v-macclesfield-town---decision_redacted-final.pdf

I imagine Stevenage are spitting blood at the conclusion in para 63:
"This has not been an easy or in some respects straightforward matter and it is to be hoped that the circumstances do not arise again. In the end we have no doubt that MTFC’s misconduct, whilst egregious, does not necessitate a sporting sanction which would result in its relegation from League Two. It does require however a significant but suspended points reduction, unusually, for next season."

Reasonable mitigation or just bottled it?!

Wheelbarrow

Junior Team Star
The independent panel's verdict into Macc's punishment has been published: https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/200619---efl-v-macclesfield-town---decision_redacted-final.pdf

I imagine Stevenage are spitting blood at the conclusion in para 63:
"This has not been an easy or in some respects straightforward matter and it is to be hoped that the circumstances do not arise again. In the end we have no doubt that MTFC’s misconduct, whilst egregious, does not necessitate a sporting sanction which would result in its relegation from League Two. It does require however a significant but suspended points reduction, unusually, for next season."

Reasonable mitigation or just bottled it?!
That's hardly going to dissuade teams at the wrong end of the league from doing something similar, is it.

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, The Rangers, Rochdale, QotS.
That's a bottle job. The proper punishments should be applied without looking at the consequences. If they put MTFC in danger of being relegated then that's for another day.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
It appears that some clubs want the EFL to appeal against the leniency handed out to Macclesfield https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/uk-sport-news/stevenage-league-two-macclesfield-efl-4271475
There are probably people who would have said a four point deduction was lenient but it would have achieved what many wanted so job done. I still find it strange the number of Stevenage fans who don't mention the name Macclesfield Town but blame the management and board of their own club for the shambles of a season they had and the fact that they seem to be ok financially just makes it worse. It's no consolation for 'Boro' but Macc will be almost certainly be relegated this season anyway because more points will be deducted and I doubt they will have the players from last season who did so well under such trying circumstances.

DonQuixote

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
If Macc had points on the board gained through dubious means then fine boot them down to the Conference North but when players come out who haven't been paid backing them then that kind of changes things for me,besides the food is better than Stevenage so that seals it.
...as are the boozers too 🍷🍷🍷🍷

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
The EFL want rid of them, simple as that.
I dont doubt that for one minute.
But that comment in the ruling that more than 2 points deduction would have sent them down is very wrong.
You should make a decision based on the rights and wrongs of the matter in hand.
If your decision cause other circumstances to arise that just the way it goes some times.
Dont base your decision on the most expedient thing to do.
And its an absolute no no to admit you have done it.
They need to tune into the live TV from parliament to learn how its done.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Can argue it both ways. A bit like when people escape a driving ban only because they really need their car for work or something, but others committing a similar offence with a similar record don't.

At the end of the day reasonable mitigation is hugely debatable but, in the absence of any new evidence, it's hard to see on what basis the independent panel should change their verdict. Or, if they do, it would only reinforce the view amongst some that these things are a bit of lottery.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
How the points deduction came about from the BBC Article -

• December 2019: A 10-point deduction, with four suspended, for non-payment of salaries and failing to fulfil a fixture against Crewe. In March, this was reduced to a seven-point penalty with three suspended after Macclesfield appealed. It meant the club were deducted four points with immediate effect.
  • May 2020: A seven-point deduction for failing to play a match against Plymouth and non-payment of wages, including the suspended three points from the first case being applied to the second punishment. That took the total deduction for the season to 11 points. A further two-point deduction was suspended.
  • June 2020: That two-point deduction was activated by the latest ruling - taking the season's total deduction to 13 points.
Tongue in cheek but why not relegate both teams and use it as the start to promote and relegate 3 every season (should be 4 really but 3 is a step in the right direction). Stop all these parachute payments they are divisive and get people to write proper contracts with relegation clauses that mean your salary drops if you are proved to be not good enough! Nothing against either team just think it is time for three up three down and a big chance is being missed. I know it wont happen but should be put in place for next season. Seriously National League is a professional division and to only have two go up is no longer acceptable in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks