Lowland League 2021/2

prorege

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
BSC Glasgow have announced that they will be changing their name now that the Broomhill Sports Club has effectively disowned them.

Rangers and Celtic have both sorted out home venues for the B team games but have not announced them yet. I'll post them as soon as they or the Lowland League make the information public. Nothing to get excited about, though.

Membership:

Berwick Rangers
Bo'ness United
Bonnyrigg Rose
BSC Glasgow (to be renamed soon)
Caledonian Braves
Celtic B
Civil Service Strollers
Cumbernauld Colts
Dalbeattie Star
East Kilbride
East Stirlingshire
Edinburgh University
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Gretna
Rangers B
Spartans
University of Stirling
Vale of Leithen

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
BSC Glasgow have announced that they will be changing their name now that the Broomhill Sports Club has effectively disowned them.

Rangers and Celtic have both sorted out home venues for the B team games but have not announced them yet. I'll post them as soon as they or the Lowland League make the information public. Nothing to get excited about, though.

Membership:

Berwick Rangers
Bo'ness United
Bonnyrigg Rose
BSC Glasgow (to be renamed soon)
Caledonian Braves
Celtic B
Civil Service Strollers
Cumbernauld Colts
Dalbeattie Star
East Kilbride
East Stirlingshire
Edinburgh University
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Gretna
Rangers B
Spartans
University of Stirling
Vale of Leithen

My only thought when I see this list is: Deadwood.

I’d say four up four down for the next three seasons should sort that out. Never gonna happen though.

Sacristan.Revenant

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bo'ness Utd, Yeovil Town, Dynamos (Zimbabwe).
My only thought when I see this list is: Deadwood.

I’d say four up four down for the next three seasons should sort that out. Never gonna happen though.

Aside the OF Colts, about whom I know little, I only see five teams whom I'd descibe as struggling in the SLFL for the 2021-22 season and of those, one, Cumbernauld Colts should be less unsuccessful than since the 2018-19 season. Those others would be the 'traditional' benthic clubs ~ Dalbeattie Star, Edinburgh University, Gretna 2003 & Vale of Leithen.

Cowden Andy

Reserve Team Starter
Aside the OF Colts, about whom I know little, I only see five teams whom I'd descibe as struggling in the SLFL for the 2021-22 season and of those, one, Cumbernauld Colts should be less unsuccessful than since the 2018-19 season. Those others would be the 'traditional' benthic clubs ~ Dalbeattie Star, Edinburgh University, Gretna 2003 & Vale of Leithen.
There’s a lot of clubs in there punching above their weight due to getting in at the right time.

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
There’s a lot of clubs in there punching above their weight due to getting in at the right time.
The league is still young and over time with the pyramid now more open then I see the Lowland League setling down with stronger teams coming up from tier 6. For 2021/22 I thnk this will be a race between EK and Bonnyrigg

windydcfc

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
How many of the current crop(excluding the colt teams) actually deserve to be in the LL? I’m just wondering how long it’ll take for all of them to be replaced by the best tier 6 clubs? Especially if it remains at 1 promotion only from tier 6.

Cryptic Clues

Junior Team Sub
There's a certain snobbishness to some of the Lowland League teams as Junior football was the dominant non-league. In Kelty Hearts first season they were many people's favourite for the league, only to finish 3rd and a lot closer to 4th/5th than 1st/2nd.

If you look at how the likes of Rossvale and Kennoway Star Hearts rose through the West & East before the baw burst, you might find some current Lowland League sides hanging around longer than expected. It's a lot easier being a middle of the pack club that avoids the extremes of Promotion/Relegation.

It's also not just Tier 6 that has to be considered, it's teams dropping from the SPFL that will aid the current LL sides. East Stirlingshire went 2nd, 4th, 6th before the money arrived. That's apparently dried up again and Berwick Rangers haven't fared well in the couple of COVID shortened seasons they've contested. Making that adjustment to non-league football is proving to be a hard task.

windydcfc

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
There's a certain snobbishness to some of the Lowland League teams as Junior football was the dominant non-league. In Kelty Hearts first season they were many people's favourite for the league, only to finish 3rd and a lot closer to 4th/5th than 1st/2nd.

If you look at how the likes of Rossvale and Kennoway Star Hearts rose through the West & East before the baw burst, you might find some current Lowland League sides hanging around longer than expected. It's a lot easier being a middle of the pack club that avoids the extremes of Promotion/Relegation.

It's also not just Tier 6 that has to be considered, it's teams dropping from the SPFL that will aid the current LL sides. East Stirlingshire went 2nd, 4th, 6th before the money arrived. That's apparently dried up again and Berwick Rangers haven't fared well in the couple of COVID shortened seasons they've contested. Making that adjustment to non-league football is proving to be a hard task.
I’ve been following this subject on the Pie and Bovril forum and Annan appears to be one of the favourites to fall through the trapdoor. The feeling is that they’d struggle in the LL and after a few seasons could drop again.

SotonSats

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
With the "trapdoor" now almost properly open you will find the standard in L2 will rise because fear of relegation is a great motivator that in turn will increase the strength of the SFL in general. Bring it on but make sure there is always an equal opportunity for the likes of Brechin (Berwick & East Stirling) to wrestle back their SFL status (if they deserve/earn it).

Cowden Andy

Reserve Team Starter
With the "trapdoor" now almost properly open you will find the standard in L2 will rise because fear of relegation is a great motivator that in turn will increase the strength of the SFL in general. Bring it on but make sure there is always an equal opportunity for the likes of Brechin (Berwick & East Stirling) to wrestle back their SFL status (if they deserve/earn it).
The trapdoor has ensured that wages for players in L1 and 2 have went up dramatically since it’s introduction.
Don’t know if the standard has gone up to be honest, probably not.

Cowden Andy

Reserve Team Starter

They’ll be a few hanging on for a while mostly due to only one of them being relegated at a time, Covid has even brought that to a halt.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Is there any parachute for teams relegated out of the SPFL?
The main difference between SPFL and the Highland and Lowland is the distribution to the clubs from central funds. This allows them to run their semi-professional teams with less input from the owners.

Relegated teams are therefore at a disadvantage as they suddenly have to find more money to pay the same wages, and I expect several of the clubs, especially in the Lowland league have managed to finance higher wages than at the base of the SPFL

Cowden Andy

Reserve Team Starter
Is there any parachute for teams relegated out of the SPFL?
The main difference between SPFL and the Highland and Lowland is the distribution to the clubs from central funds. This allows them to run their semi-professional teams with less input from the owners.

Relegated teams are therefore at a disadvantage as they suddenly have to find more money to pay the same wages, and I expect several of the clubs, especially in the Lowland league have managed to finance higher wages than at the base of the SPFL
I believe you still get 2 years of payments.

prorege

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Can now confirm that Celtic B are playing at Airdrie and Rangers B at Dumbarton.

prorege

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Full Lowland League fixtures here:

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks