Looking for a team

Bohemian77

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Bohemian FC
Hello there!

I am a fan of Bohemian FC in Dublin and am currently living in South Derbyshire. I am also a Liverpool fan but am increasingly turned off by modern football & the cost of it. I have tried Forest & Derby but find the Championship too money orientated in it's drive for the "promised land". At Bohemians, we average about 3,000 fans per week & play good competitive football. The facilities are pretty poor but it is a members run club with a strong sense of purpose & family. I am looking for similar in the UK with a good community & welcoming atmosphere & a good social responsibility spirit. My son will be raised in the UK so I want to raise him with the right footballing principles :) Any suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Stephen

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Hello there!

I am a fan of Bohemian FC in Dublin and am currently living in South Derbyshire. I am also a Liverpool fan but am increasingly turned off by modern football & the cost of it. I have tried Forest & Derby but find the Championship too money orientated in it's drive for the "promised land". At Bohemians, we average about 3,000 fans per week & play good competitive football. The facilities are pretty poor but it is a members run club with a strong sense of purpose & family. I am looking for similar in the UK with a good community & welcoming atmosphere & a good social responsibility spirit. My son will be raised in the UK so I want to raise him with the right footballing principles :) Any suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Stephen
Try watching Mansfield, we average about 3,000 with poor facilities.
Think they do a decent deal on parent and child tickets.
Up The Stags !

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Or Notts County? They seem to be putting the building blocks in place to turn their fortunes around so it might be an interesting journey to be part of. The National is a brutal league to get out of but it's certainly character building, and the sense of togetherness needed to get promotion out of it makes it doubly satisfying.

Last edited:

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Try proper non league football. There are loads of clubs spanning a few counties in your area and most if not all would give you everything you are looking for in the game and certainly not money oriented.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
I went to Alfreton Town FC back in August. They've got a good old-fashioned ground with plenty of terracing, the food was good, the locals were friendly, and they had a treasure-trove of a club shop full of junk and scrap that I found particularly appealing.

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Regular
Burton Albion might be worth a look. Newish ground though (opened 2005), so not at all like Dalymount !

Bohemian77

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Bohemian FC
thanks everyone - will give them all a try. Tamworth are pretty close to me as well. Just hoping to see some live football sooner rather than later.

spen666

Junior Team Sub
I went to Alfreton Town FC back in August. They've got a good old-fashioned ground with plenty of terracing, the food was good, the locals were friendly, and they had a treasure-trove of a club shop full of junk and scrap that I found particularly appealing.
Plenty of terracing?

Would have said the opposite - far too much seated area, including theuncovered seats at bottom end.

Only terracing is top/away end

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
I've only been to Alfreton once due to the daft prices they were charging. Are they no longer expensive, comparatively speaking?

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
I've only been to Alfreton once due to the daft prices they were charging. Are they no longer expensive, comparatively speaking?
£14 in the season just gone which was about the average. I did read somewhere that they were a bit over the top though when they were in the Conference National.

Dave 56

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leatherhead
You could try Burton Albion. They seem to be a well run club.

oftenscore6

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Hello there!

Stephen
It's a bit further afield, but FC United are playing in a division covering that area (so away games in the vicinity) and tick all of those boxes. We even played Bohs in a friendly in 2017, wearing any Bohs gear at our games would get a very positive response. I can put you in touch with fans who travel from that way to our home games.

bspittles

Ball Boy / Girl
Two lovely Derbyshire clubs that have left a positive memory for me are Belper and Matlock. Maybe they would be a little below your expectations as they don't get crowds in the thousands.

Bohemian77

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Bohemian FC
It's a bit further afield, but FC United are playing in a division covering that area (so away games in the vicinity) and tick all of those boxes. We even played Bohs in a friendly in 2017, wearing any Bohs gear at our games would get a very positive response. I can put you in touch with fans who travel from that way to our home games.
Cheers

Am also a LFC fan so not sure how that would blend :)

I was at the game in Dublin a few years ago, think FCUM won 2-1 if I remember correctly. I know a lot of our fans were hopeful of a return trip to Manchester!

RedRich

Ball Boy / Girl
£14 in the season just gone which was about the average. I did read somewhere that they were a bit over the top though when they were in the Conference National.
Chairman made the decision to go from £13 to £18 one summer, which brought it in line with the Conf National prices, but there was a significant backlash and fans voted with their feet. In my opinion it was a reasonable price for the product, we were able to watch teams like Luton, Wrexham, Grimsby and Mansfield, but the consumer is king and they saw it as too much of a hike.

Ironically, if he had staggered the rise over 2 seasons he would have probably got away with it. He will say we would have been relegated by then as fans werent turning out in sufficient numbers to be financially competitive.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks