London Sunday Challenge Cup (2020-2021)

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Anyone know where Grand Athletic play?
Difficult to tell from Fulltime as they have had a lot of double headers recently but it looks as if their usual home ground is Selhurst Sports Arena although no guarantee that's where their QF vs SE Sons will be played.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Is that Jordan Green and Ryan Johnson who were playing (respectively) for Barnsley in the Championship and Maidstone United in the National League? 😳

If so, good grief - SE Dons will take some stopping. They really did not need reinforcements as they already had so much quality all over the pitch. Plus Ryan Dolby (ex Bromley) recently returned from injury ( ™️ - Robben style cut in from the right wing and hit it with left foot into the roof of the net). Like this:

Yes it is the said 2 players who played for those respective clubs recently.
Jordan scored the only goal in the 2nd game against Lambeth Allstars.
Also with Ryan Dolby back,not long before Jack Sammoutis is also back as he played in the Dons XI friendly recently.
Quarter final between Kenningwell and M-Boys is this Sunday and the Hatcham vs Brixton game is next Wednesday.

stevegraze

Junior Team Star
SE Dons must be red hot favourites for a league and county cup double.

The cup draws this season have been very odd. It is strange that all the OBDSFL teams were kept apart; thereby raising the likely prospect of 3 of the 4 semi-finalists being from the same league, and of an OBDSFL winner...

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
SE Dons must be red hot favourites for a league and county cup double.

The cup draws this season have been very odd. It is strange that all the OBDSFL teams were kept apart; thereby raising the likely prospect of 3 of the 4 semi-finalists being from the same league, and of an OBDSFL winner...
Here is the link to the live draw when it happened.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Looks like Kenningwell have made it to the semi finals today after winning 4-2 on penalties against M-Boys.
It was 3-3 at full time.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Seen the highlights of the AFC Hammersmith town v Under the Radar
First time I’ve caught a glimpse of Hammersmith.
Good team with some skilful players, but they are beatable.
Under the Radar hit the bar right at the death before the ref blew up for full time.
Their quarter final against Mile End Baiteze may be closer than we think.

stevegraze

Junior Team Star
Seen the highlights of the AFC Hammersmith town v Under the Radar
First time I’ve caught a glimpse of Hammersmith.
Good team with some skilful players, but they are beatable.
Under the Radar hit the bar right at the death before the ref blew up for full time.
Their quarter final against Mile End Baiteze may be closer than we think.

At this stage of the competition, most games will be close. All 8 teams remaining have serious quality and there are no “whipping boys” at this stage.

The current Mile End Baiteze does not include the players who have been playing under that name for the last few years. The bulk of the squad moved to the Essex Sunday Corinthian League (where they confusingly play under the name “Baiteze Squad”).

The Mile End Baiteze FC team still in the competition is almost a new team playing under manager Justin Gardner; who had to find an entirely new squad as he lost almost his whole team to the breakaway faction. AFC Hammersmith Town have been together as a team for longer and they will play at home, hence why I make them slight favourites.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
At this stage of the competition, most games will be close. All 8 teams remaining have serious quality and there are no “whipping boys” at this stage.

The current Mile End Baiteze does not include the players who have been playing under that name for the last few years. The bulk of the squad moved to the Essex Sunday Corinthian League (where they confusingly play under the name “Baiteze Squad”).

The Mile End Baiteze FC team still in the competition is almost a new team playing under manager Justin Gardner; who had to find an entirely new squad as he lost almost his whole team to the breakaway faction. AFC Hammersmith Town have been together as a team for longer and they will play at home, hence why I make them slight favourites.
The other Baiteze knocked out by Kenningwell on penalties in the previous round.
Seen the goal that Kenningwell scored to take the lead which was not far off the Liverpool corner that Trent Alexander-Arnold took agains Barcelona in the 2nd leg to get Liverpool’s 4th goal.
Justin Gardener with his connections would have a network of decent players he can call upon,plus with Jamie Leggett assisting him don’t estimate this Baiteze team

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Perhaps I'm being a little cynical, it's all very well having a network of decent players to call on, but are they registered to play?

Not sure how things have moved on in London since I refereed there but I do recall ID cards possibly coming into play?

stevegraze

Junior Team Star
Perhaps I'm being a little cynical, it's all very well having a network of decent players to call on, but are they registered to play?

Not sure how things have moved on in London since I refereed there but I do recall ID cards possibly coming into play?

LOL. Yes, they must be registered - otherwise they will get DQd and thrown out by their league and the London FA. Playing ineligible players is a serious offence, and the number one reason why teams get DQd from the LFA county cups (there were several threads on it in the old forum).

Nowadays playing “ringers” is harder than ever (especially for a YouTube team like Mile End Baiteze) because:

1) Their games are filmed and streamed on YouTube for the whole world to see.

2) Players’ names and appearances are logged on the FA’s Full Time website - again for the whole world to see.

3) Sunday leagues have been requiring photo IDs for players as far back as 25-30 years ago.

4) Team sheets with names must be completed (often in triplicate), swapped, and filed with the league.

With all these checks and verifications, it would be utter madness for a high profile Sunday team to play ineligible players in this social media savvy age where some Sunday league teams on YouTube get more views than Premier League clubs.

Perhaps @hughesvideo (who is on the BSL’s committee) can also add more context re the lengths that leagues go to in order to verify player eligibility.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Thank you for a comprehensive reply, as I said in the post, it's a while since I refereed in London and ID cards were coming in.

Points 2 and 4 - they're only worth what's written/inputted. I know from recent experience "he's on Full Time but I didn't see him there".

Not really interested in whether Sunday footballers get more You Tube views than the Premiership. The game, in it's less moneyed form, is bigger than all of us. Granted any form of income helps clubs to play what has become an expensive sport.

stevegraze

Junior Team Star
@Ellisref - my point about Sunday teams getting more YouTube views than Premier League clubs was meant to clarify that: if Sunday league teams’ games are being filmed and streamed to millions of people online, it would be reckless of them to play a ringer when there is “video evidence” online to expose what they did.

hughesvideo

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League)
Perhaps @hughesvideo (who is on the BSL’s committee) can also add more context re the lengths that leagues go to in order to verify player eligibility.
I am not on the Barnet Sunday League Committee this season actually, but I can confirm that most Sunday Leagues in London now have rules in place that all their member clubs must register their players on the Whole Game System, which then automatically displays them on Full-Time for the general public to view.
Teams in the Barnet League are also supposed to download squad lists from Whole Game which include mugshots of each of their registered players, then swap those lists with their opponents before the kick-off, although most will only bother if it's an important match.

However, there are a large number of players who are registered with multiple Sunday clubs in different Leagues around London, and some of those clubs may well be playing in the same County Cup competition, therefore resulting in those players being ineligible if they have already played for one of those teams.
These players slip through the net though because even though they may be using the same mugshot photo, they enter false date of births and spell their names slightly differently each time they register for a different club on Whole Game ...or their Club Secretary/Manager does that when registering them. So the system itself doesn't flag it up when the data from the match teamsheets is entered. It treats the player as two different players.

In general though, it is indeed harder to get away with playing ringers now for the reasons you mentioned.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Quarter final between Grand Athletic and SE Dons is on tomorrow night at 8pm.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Grand Athletic join Kenningwell in the semi finals after beating SE Dons 2-1 tonight.

stevegraze

Junior Team Star

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock