London Sunday Challenge Cup (2020-2021)

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Some do. It has gone on for ages (in a surreptitious way). The sponsorship deals that YouTube deals get has led them to give other perks to their players (free boots/equipment etc).

As has been mentioned on this forum before, Lambeth All Stars’ front trio of Aaron Watson, Omari Hibbert, and Ryan Gondoh play for Whyteleafe in the Isthmian League. They also have some who are ex pros from Premier League clubs like Fulham and Sunderland.
Ryan Gondoh now plays for Wealdstone.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
SE Dons into the quarter finals with a 6-1 win over Panathanaikos in North London this morning.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Looks like AFC Hammersmith are into the quarter finals after winning on penalties 4-2 against Under the Radar.
It was 0-0 at full time.
The Amateur footballer who is sponsoring this season’s competition says the draw will take place on the 4th May.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Draw made for the quarter finals within the last hour and it is:

AFC Hammersmith Town v Mile End Baiteze

Kenningwell United vs M Boys

Hatcham vs AFC Brixton

Grand Athletic vs SE Dons

All ties to be completed on or by the 16th May

Last edited:

stevegraze

Junior Team Star
Almost as if the draw is paving the the SE Dons’ road to the final. They drew arguably the weakest team left in the cup. AFC Hammersmith Town, Kenningwell, Hatcham, and SE Dons must be favourites to reach the semi-finals.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
I don’t think Grand Athletic are the weakest team there.I think arguably it is M-Boys and Brixton.
I think Brixton have their work cut out against Hatcham who have recruited very well during lockdown.M-Boys have announced themselves this season and are not to be ignored, so will be a great game against Kenningwell.
Grand Athletic are a decent team and have already taken down Kumazi, so I don’t think this is an easy game for the Dons.

What has happened to the Turkish/Cypriot based teams who usually go far in this competition?

Davetherave

Reserve Team Hopeful

Hatcham vs AFC Brixton

Hopefully venues will be announced for these games?

stevegraze

Junior Team Star
I don’t think Grand Athletic are the weakest team there.I think arguably it is M-Boys and Brixton.
I think Brixton have their work cut out against Hatcham who have recruited very well during lockdown.M-Boys have announced themselves this season and are not to be ignored, so will be a great game against Kenningwell.
Grand Athletic are a decent team and have already taken down Kumazi, so I don’t think this is an easy game for the Dons.

What has happened to the Turkish/Cypriot based teams who usually go far in this competition?

The Cypriot league was weakened by the defection of their two best teams (New Salamis and St Panteleimon) to Saturday football. Both teams had been flying up the non-league pyramid and were in the top two positions of the Spartan South Midlands League Div 1, and on course for promotion to Step 5, when Covid ended the season. It was a travesty as two consecutive null and void seasons have potentially deprived them of the opportunity of playing at Step 4.

The Turkish league's best team (Dumlupinar) was the victim of a very suspicious cup draw by the London FA. For two seasons in a row, they got drawn against SE Dons in the first round. The first time it happened 2 seasons ago - Dumlupinar and SE Dons were the respective county champions of London and Kent. For the two county champions to meet each other in the first round once seems like a bizarre outliner, but for it to happen two seasons in a row is deeply suspicious. Dumlupinar got eliminated both times after late goals by the Dons' star striker Zak Ansah (who plays for Herne Bay on Saturdays at Step 4 and averages nearly a goal a game for them). In their 2020 meeting, Ansah scored an 89th minute winner to give the Dons a narrow 1-0 win after Dumlu played more than half of the game with 10 men (after a first half straight red card). Dumlu must be sick of the sight of Zak Ansah.

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
The Cypriot league was weakened by the defection of their two best teams (New Salamis and St Panteleimon) to Saturday football. Both teams had been flying up the non-league pyramid and were in the top two positions of the Spartan South Midlands League Div 1, and on course for promotion to Step 5, when Covid ended the season. It was a travesty as two consecutive null and void seasons have potentially deprived them of the opportunity of playing at Step 4.

The Turkish league's best team (Dumlupinar) was the victim of a very suspicious cup draw by the London FA. For two seasons in a row, they got drawn against SE Dons in the first round. The first time it happened 2 seasons ago - Dumlupinar and SE Dons were the respective county champions of London and Kent. For the two county champions to meet each other in the first round once seems like a bizarre outliner, but for it to happen two seasons in a row is deeply suspicious. Dumlupinar got eliminated both times after late goals by the Dons' star striker Zak Ansah (who plays for Herne Bay on Saturdays at Step 4 and averages nearly a goal a game for them). In their 2020 meeting, Ansah scored an 89th minute winner to give the Dons a narrow 1-0 win after Dumlu played more than half of the game with 10 men (after a first half straight red card). Dumlu must be sick of the sight of Zak Ansah.
Yes....Zak has the “Ansah” for unlocking Dumlupinar 😂

Last edited:

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
So the Quarter finals broken down into the following leagues

3 from the Orpington and Bromley League
Dons, Hatcham and Kenningwell

3 from the Metropolitan League
M-Boys,Brixton and Grand Athletic

1 from the Harrow League
AFC Hammersmith

1 from the Hackney and Leyton League
Mike End Baiteze

hughesvideo

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League)
In one of my posts in the Best Non-Pyramid League in London thread, I suggested that the Covid-related closure of Step 2, 3 & 4 Leagues for the rest of this season would result in many players from that level joining Sunday League teams in the London area, making a large number of those teams very much stronger.

I wonder if that is what has happened here with some of these lesser-known teams now seemingly competing on level terms with the big guns of London Sunday League football. :unsure:

stevegraze

Junior Team Star

Hatcham has a very talented team (evidenced by them beating reigning champs Lambeth All Stars so comfortably). One of the players they have on their books is Rory Hill (ex Tonbridge Angels winger) who is a serious player. One of their fellow OBDSFL teams Kenningwell United has also signed Jamie Taylor (who recently announced he will no longer play on Saturdays for Erith & Belvedere).

Master Blaster

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Liverpool
SE Dons
Hatcham has a very talented team (evidenced by them beating reigning champs Lambeth All Stars so comfortably). One of the players they have on their books is Rory Hill (ex Tonbridge Angels winger) who is a serious player. One of their fellow OBDSFL teams Kenningwell United has also signed Jamie Taylor (who recently announced he will no longer play on Saturdays for Erith & Belvedere).
Hatcham have definitely benefited from this as have signed up some good non league players and I understand the London Cup is now their priority.
They turned Kumazi over last night in a league game
Dons have signed up Ryan Johnson and Jordan Green who play at a decent level.

Last edited:

stevegraze

Junior Team Star

stevegraze

Junior Team Star
Hatcham have definitely benefited from this as have signed up some good non league players and I understand the London Cup is now their priority.
Dons have signed up Ryan Johnson and Jordan Green who play at a decent level.

Is that Jordan Green and Ryan Johnson who were playing (respectively) for Barnsley in the Championship and Maidstone United in the National League? 😳

If so, good grief - SE Dons will take some stopping. They really did not need reinforcements as they already had so much quality all over the pitch. Plus Ryan Dolby (ex Bromley) recently returned from injury ( ™️ - Robben style cut in from the right wing and hit it with left foot into the roof of the net). Like this:

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
London Sunday Trophy update:

O/s 3rd Round tie:
5/5 Sudbury Athletic (Hujjat) 3-2 Hendon United Sports Club A - @ Hadley FC

Quarter-Finals
2/5 Belmont Athletic 0-3 Mildean - @ Coldharbour Leisure Centre
2/5 Sporting Continental 7-0 Crayford Athletic - @ Colliers Wood United FC
2/5 Spartans 3-2 FC Ballr - @ Dartford FC
16/5 Baldon Sports MET v Sudbury Athletic (Hujjat)

Semi-Finals
16/5 Mildean v Spartans - 1230 @ Eltham Town Co-Op Ground SE9 2TD
TBC Sporting Continental v Baldon Sports MET/Sudbury Athletic (Hujjat)

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
London Sunday Junior Cup

O/s 4th Round tie:
9/5 FC Forza Greenwich v City East - 1030 @ Hackney Marshes

Quarter-Finals - 16th May unless stated
AFC Rose blue v FC Forza Greenwich/City East
Zaza FC London greens v The Gun (Pub) - 1400 @ New River Sports Centre
Selhurst Sunday 6-1 Baddoo FC Blues (played 5th May)
B Young Stars Reds v Hatch Lane United - 1030 @ Coldharbour Leisure Centre SE9 3LX

Davetherave

Reserve Team Hopeful
London Sunday Trophy update:

O/s 3rd Round tie:
5/5 Sudbury Athletic (Hujjat) 3-2 Hendon United Sports Club A - @ Hadley FC

Quarter-Finals
2/5 Belmont Athletic 0-3 Mildean - @ Coldharbour Leisure Centre
2/5 Sporting Continental 7-0 Crayford Athletic - @ Colliers Wood United FC
2/5 Spartans 3-2 FC Ballr - @ Dartford FC
16/5 Baldon Sports MET v Sudbury Athletic (Hujjat)

Semi-Finals
16/5 Mildean v Spartans - 1230 @ Eltham Town Co-Op Ground SE9 2TD
TBC Sporting Continental v Baldon Sports MET/Sudbury Athletic (Hujjat)

Is that Hujjat venue in Stanmore?

Davetherave

Reserve Team Hopeful

Hatcham vs AFC Brixton

Anyone know where Grand Athletic play?

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Is that Hujjat venue in Stanmore?
According to Harrow Sunday League Fulltime page they play their home matches at Vale Farm Sports Centre although Wednesday's tie was played under lights at Hadley FC.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks